PDA

View Full Version : Rex introducing Donald Trump at rally

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2016, 02:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/18/bills-call-rex-ryans-introduction-of-donald-trump-a-personal-decision/

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

mightysimi
04-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Yeah Donald will go to the podium and then for some reason drop into coverage.

Ginger Vitis
04-18-2016, 02:32 PM
The attention whore just cant stay out of the spotlight... And im not referring to Trump

ckg927
04-18-2016, 02:32 PM
Shawn Stepner of 7 Eyewitness News just tweeted the team's response: Basically, it's a personal decision by Rex to intro Trump, NOT the team's. He isn't representing the Bills.

Also, Rex stated earlier today that he isn't saying WHO he's voting for.

Mr. Miyagi
04-18-2016, 02:52 PM
Rex is kissing the wrong ass. Remember Trump lost his bids for the Bills to the Pegulas. And Trump's sexist stance can't sit well with Kim.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 03:00 PM
Trump and Rex will blow so much hot air that the building will float away like the ****ing Hindenberg. And if the rest of us are lucky enough, it'll go down in a ball of flame.

OpIv37
04-18-2016, 03:02 PM
The attention whore just cant stay out of the spotlight... And im not referring to Trump

Shawn Stepner of 7 Eyewitness News just tweeted the team's response: Basically, it's a personal decision by Rex to intro Trump, NOT the team's. He isn't representing the Bills.

Proof that GV is right. If he's not endorsing Trump, why introduce him other than to hog the spotlight?

justasportsfan
04-18-2016, 03:10 PM
Loudmouths unite! One attention whore introducing another,

feldspar
04-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Looks like old Rex has indeed not learned his lesson at this point.

Worst thing yet, to me. I mean, politics? Forget for a moment that it's Trump...what good can come of this? I can let most things go...

On the other hand, I read Tom Brady endorsed Trump. They've got a right to do it. But I'm sick of this...he couldn't have set himself more to be a target in this case if he painted a bullseye on his back.

Mace
04-18-2016, 03:20 PM
They both have the same issues with reality, narcissism and hubris. Birds of a feather. Worlds greatest defensive genius, meet worlds most offensive genius.

trapezeus
04-18-2016, 03:26 PM
one guy took a good defense and promised even better things to only result in a significant drop off in defense. he supports the guy who takes a pretty good America and promises to make it better and given his policies and rhetoric will make it significantly worse. sounds like a perfect match.

Mace
04-18-2016, 03:33 PM
one guy took a good defense and promised even better things to only result in a significant drop off in defense. he supports the guy who takes a pretty good America and promises to make it better and given his policies and rhetoric will make it significantly worse. sounds like a perfect match.

Should pretty much end the fantasy anyone still has that Rex is a deep thinker too, btw.

swiper
04-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Team President should not allow this.

Team President is gutless.

Mace
04-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Team President should not allow this.

Team President is gutless.

Team President will be standing confused in the empty VFW hall where Mike Huckabee scheduled his rally last year.

Joe Fo Sho
04-18-2016, 03:50 PM
Why anyone gives two ****s about this is beyond me.

feldspar
04-18-2016, 03:59 PM

Because Rex has a big mouth, which he admits.

Now we gotta hear all about it all over again about how he shouldn't do things like this. Read what's going to be said on social media now.

YardRat
04-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Is the venue being rented, or did the use get donated? I just want to know if I should be pissed at the Pegula's also, for yet another stupid move.

mightysimi
04-18-2016, 04:06 PM
I'm sure he was asked and said yes. I'm sure he didn't seek out Trump. This is getting ridiculous.

Mace
04-18-2016, 04:19 PM

Got to figure it's unavoidable he'll do some yapping. Sort of impossible not to yap introducing Trump. No way around it.

Muahaha.

Gilly
04-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Get used to President Trump boys, its going to happen..
:rofl: loons..

Joe Fo Sho
04-18-2016, 04:39 PM
Because Rex has a big mouth, which he admits.

Now we gotta hear all about it all over again about how he shouldn't do things like this. Read what's going to be said on social media now.

Only because some Bills fans aren't happy unless they're *****ing about something.

- - - Updated - - -

Got to figure it's unavoidable he'll do some yapping. Sort of impossible not to yap introducing Trump. No way around it.

Muahaha.

A yapper introducing a yapper.

Much yapping will ensue, mostly by Bills fans.

Victor7
04-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Oh Rexy ..... like I didn't dislike you enough already.

**** them both three times over.

Mace
04-18-2016, 05:33 PM
"We're all here tonight because we support Donald Trump," Ryan said. "Donald Trump has the courage to say it. And, that's what I respect."

And then Trump took the stage.
.@realDonaldTrump (https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump) starts by saying Rex Ryan is "a great, great coach."

http://politicsnow.buffalonews.com/2016/04/18/line-trump-supporters-forms-early-outside-arena/

Sure. Ryan doesn't respect smart people, just talkers, a great great football coach. Sooner they are both out of here the better.

jlgarsh
04-18-2016, 07:35 PM
Thanked for the boooooooooooo

jlgarsh
04-18-2016, 07:39 PM

I just wish Rex would focus on something like, I dunno, football? Maybe? Seems like too much to ask. Who was Rex introduced by? Bernie Madoff maybe?

Mace
04-18-2016, 07:53 PM
I just wish Rex would focus on something like, I dunno, football? Maybe? Seems like too much to ask. Who was Rex introduced by? Bernie Madoff maybe?

Football is trivial to a master of intellect like Rex. It will all work because he says it will.

Joe Fo Sho
04-18-2016, 08:56 PM

Yeah, the 4 hours that this took out of his day is definitely going to add another loss to our record this year.

jlgarsh
04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
Yeah, the 4 hours that this took out of his day is definitely going to add another loss to our record this year.

Pits not just this. It seems like every day he's in the news for something other than his actual job...

gebobs
04-18-2016, 10:20 PM
Rex is kissing the wrong ass. Remember Trump lost his bids for the Bills to the Pegulas. And Trump's sexist stance can't sit well with Kim.

I'm more concerned with the 90% of the team with whom the Trump racism won't sit well.

feldspar
04-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Only because some Bills fans aren't happy unless they're *****ing about something.

It ain't just Bills fans by a long shot, buddy.

Perception is reality, and Rex is feeding the monster by doing this. My thing is that it becomes a distraction...whether or not it means anything is beside the point. I personally wouldn't care, but the reputation is out there, and these are the things people talk about. Again, it distracts from the purpose.

Oaf
04-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Did Trump say anything about losing the bid?

Topas
04-19-2016, 01:19 AM

Well I think we give two ****s because we care about the US and we care about the Bills. That means that we hate Drumpf (#makedonalddrumpfagain) and that we dont want the Bills anywhere near him. I think that is the explanation.

Disclaimer: and I say that as a German.

ckg927
04-19-2016, 02:01 AM
Get used to President Trump boys, its going to happen..
:rofl: loons..

Get used to Trump getting steamrolled in the general election. EVERY electoral forecast I've seen so far points to it happening.

Topas
04-19-2016, 03:19 AM
Well, part of me hopes that Trump wins because this will increase the chances of the democrat candidate.
But then again, eve r ybody said that Trump would never be able to become the rep candidate.
I am afraid that he could actually become president in your strange country...

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Pits not just this. It seems like every day he's in the news for something other than his actual job...

I wonder what part of our week 1 game plan is going to suffer because of this event.

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 05:34 AM
It ain't just Bills fans by a long shot, buddy.

Perception is reality, and Rex is feeding the monster by doing this. My thing is that it becomes a distraction...whether or not it means anything is beside the point. I personally wouldn't care, but the reputation is out there, and these are the things people talk about. Again, it distracts from the purpose.

You think the team is going to be able to practice this week knowing what Rex was up to last night?

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 05:39 AM
Well I think we give two ****s because we care about the US and we care about the Bills. That means that we hate Drumpf (#makedonalddrumpfagain) and that we dont want the Bills anywhere near him. I think that is the explanation.

Disclaimer: and I say that as a German.

Danke.

This won't affect our season whatsoever and it probably won't affect the voting results, it's only the fans personal feelings that are going to get butt hurt over this.

I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but I could not care less who Rex Ryan is voting for.

MillsapsBillsFan
04-19-2016, 05:42 AM
I am afraid that he could actually become president in your strange country...

Trust me, you aren't the only one

Topas
04-19-2016, 06:53 AM
Danke.

This won't affect our season whatsoever and it probably won't affect the voting results, it's only the fans personal feelings that are going to get butt hurt over this.

I dislike Trump as much as the next guy, but I could not care less who Rex Ryan is voting for.

Well, I dont mind much for whom Rex votes. But he is a public figure. And especially from the one sports club that I have a totally unexplainable affection for. And from this club I ask for decency and intelligence (i.e. competitivness). Well, the Bills failed miserably on the second aspect. But at least I want decency and I am happy that we are not the cheaters. Some might want to trade four Lombardi trophies for being cheaters, but not me. And I also dont want Gerg Hardies or anybody similar on my team. And I dont want public figures of the team to campaign for Trump. They can vote for him but not publicly embrace him. And I demand this especially from management and coaching. I am more willing to give 22 year olds some leway for being idiots but not the coaches and the management. They should be at laest some kind of role model. And I am not asking for Mother Therese, I am asking for basic things like not hiting woman and not campaigning for Trump. I am not saying that the two things are equal, I am saying I dont like both things.
I might be old school and naive, but that is just who I am.

gebobs
04-19-2016, 06:56 AM
You think the team is going to be able to practice this week knowing what Rex was up to last night?

You think any of the players are going to resent a bit that their coach is shilling for a guy whose base is wrapping themselves in Confederate flags?

justasportsfan
04-19-2016, 07:37 AM

What irks me is this just proves what Rex is all about. It's all about him . This is why he is still Bellicheats b!tch.

Skooby
04-19-2016, 07:40 AM
Where do you guys come up with this crap ? President Trump is going to punish all of you haters !!!!!!

Uncle Jesse
04-19-2016, 07:49 AM
I don't really care who players and coaches vote for, it's their choice. Just please go and win football games.

Albany,n.y.
04-19-2016, 08:39 AM

He's probably not voting for anyone in NY, his main residence is in Nashville, Tennessee. By the time he sends in his absentee ballot for the presidential election in November, Trump won't be an option.

DraftBoy
04-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Not like there is a big event in 9 days that he should be prepping for instead of wasting his time with this.

Albany,n.y.
04-19-2016, 09:35 AM
Not like there is a big event in 9 days that he should be prepping for instead of wasting his time with this.
That's Whaley's job.

Night Train
04-19-2016, 09:37 AM
Who cares ? Seriously ?

gebobs
04-19-2016, 09:45 AM
That's Whaley's job.

The head coach should be in neck deep too. You can be your ass that Belichick is.

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 10:31 AM
What irks me is this just proves what Rex is all about. It's all about him . This is why he is still Bellicheats b!tch.

That event was all about Rex like Jim Kelly's HOF induction was all about Marv Levy.

- - - Updated - - -

What guy do you think we'll miss out on because of this wasted 4 hours?

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 10:32 AM
You think any of the players are going to resent a bit that their coach is shilling for a guy whose base is wrapping themselves in Confederate flags?

If Shady doesn't call Rex a racist then he's not a racist.

feldspar
04-19-2016, 10:35 AM
The head coach should be in neck deep too. You can be your ass that Belichick is.

Belichick IS the General Manager, though.

DraftBoy
04-19-2016, 10:43 AM
What guy do you think we'll miss out on because of this wasted 4 hours?
The best damn LS in the draft, that's for sure!!

EDS
04-19-2016, 11:06 AM
I kind of want the Bills to lose this season just so the team can unburden itself of Rex.

As for the election, this has to be the worst collection of political candidates ever assembled. It appears both the democrats and republicans want to lose this election so they can do a full reboot for 2020.

justasportsfan
04-19-2016, 11:18 AM
That event was all about Rex like Jim Kelly's HOF induction was all about Marv Levy.

not really. He knew he was going to get publicity for what he did. No ones talking about Trumps visit to buffalo, but here we are talking about Rex.

gebobs
04-19-2016, 11:48 AM
Belichick IS the General Manager, though.

OK, bad example. :-)

It's just one more reason for me to hate Ryan. He sucks. He'll be replacing Carpenter in my sig soon.

gebobs
04-19-2016, 11:50 AM
The best damn LS in the draft, that's for sure!!

Catastrophe! :-)

feldspar
04-19-2016, 12:29 PM

Dude, it permeates the media. Players get asked about it in interviews. People talk about it online and everywhere else. I'm not just talking about this Trump thing, but about Rex in general.

Is that good?

I agree that it's mostly innocuous. Also, everybody is searching for a sound-byte that they can create a headline with out of context. But that's the nature of the beast at this point, and I think Rex needs to be more careful about what he says in the public eye, if for no other reason than I have to read about the latest "controversial" Rex Ryan quote very time I google Buffalo Bills news.

It's mostly BS, but it's always there. Why give them a reason to perpetuate the perception?

trapezeus
04-19-2016, 01:57 PM
he's simply not going to have this team ready. it has nothing to do with introducing trump. but the guy is incapable of learning. he stuckwith his system vs having allstar talent. and now he has the luxury of rebuilding instead of getting fired. and he still has horrible game day instincts. His bravado is the reason he'll never learn anything else. I almost wish they have a brutal first 4 games so that we can just get a fresh start. Russ Brandon working his magic again. the only guy who receives no blame for the past 16 years but is the only constant the last 16 years.

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 02:09 PM
not really. He knew he was going to get publicity for what he did. No ones talking about Trumps visit to buffalo, but here we are talking about Rex.

I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that this is a Buffalo Bills forum and not a Political Forum?

Joe Fo Sho
04-19-2016, 02:17 PM
Dude, it permeates the media. Players get asked about it in interviews. People talk about it online and everywhere else. I'm not just talking about this Trump thing, but about Rex in general.

The players have to answer questions about Rex during interviews?! Oh the humanity! I hope they get paid enough to afford a psychiatrist.

I agree that it's mostly innocuous. Also, everybody is searching for a sound-byte that they can create a headline with out of context. But that's the nature of the beast at this point, and I think Rex needs to be more careful about what he says in the public eye, if for no other reason than I have to read about the latest "controversial" Rex Ryan quote very time I google Buffalo Bills news.

That must be awful for you.

It's mostly BS, but it's always there. Why give them a reason to perpetuate the perception?

Rex doesn't care about his perception, that should be clear to everybody at this point. Good for him, that's something they try teach you in elementary school.

justasportsfan
04-19-2016, 02:33 PM
I wonder if that has something to do with the fact that this is a Buffalo Bills forum and not a Political Forum?
whether it's here in the football forum or political it doesn't matter to me. Whether he did it for Hilary or Trump it doesn't matter to me. He is still an attention whore of a coach who hasn't won anything.

feldspar
04-19-2016, 02:49 PM
The players have to answer questions about Rex during interviews?! Oh the humanity! I hope they get paid enough to afford a psychiatrist.

That must be awful for you.

Rex doesn't care about his perception, that should be clear to everybody at this point. Good for him, that's something they try teach you in elementary school.

The irony is that I'm basically a Rex defender like yourself, in general.

But there comes a point where he should smarten up and not deliberately attract undo scrutiny or criticism upon himself. It just reaches a point where it's flat-out dumb.

I'm becoming more convinced that he actually ENJOYS people talking **** about him, and I don't quite consider that a good thing.

Mace
04-19-2016, 03:35 PM
I'm becoming more convinced that he actually ENJOYS people talking **** about him, and I don't quite consider that a good thing.

In his world, he's a beloved defensive genius, no one talks bad about him besides adversarial media, which he can see right through to the true adoration the man on the street has for him.

feldspar
04-20-2016, 12:08 AM
In his world, he's a beloved defensive genius, no one talks bad about him besides adversarial media, which he can see right through to the true adoration the man on the street has for him.

You have a way with words, Mace.

Something like what you said...

If his team starts to win football games and becomes a perennial contender, then these qualities become more forgivable, if not endearing...at least to the fans of the team he's coaching. But we're not quite there yet, are we? That's the catch...there will be no inherent love without results. Talk is cheap.

Not that I'll hate the guy if he fails here or anything...not if I feel like he gave it his best effort. And I DO think he's trying his best, so personally I have nothing against him and don't really make a habit of bashing him.

Being confident is crucial for success in anything competitive. That's one thing. But knowing when to shut up is important, too. Let's not go bragging about what you haven't done yet, or something along those lines.

Dunno, I still have some hope for this year though.

sahlensguy
04-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Rex is the male Sarah Palin.

Mace
04-20-2016, 05:24 PM
Dunno, I still have some hope for this year though.

I always have hopes for the year believe it or not, no matter how much I complain about what I perceive. I remind myself that I complained when we hired Marv Levy (Wing-t, come on), Jim Kelly finally arrived (he's too beaten up now by the USFL), drafted Bruce Smith (oh he's going to be a loafer), drafted Thurman (come on, his knee !), and traded for Biscuit (soft prima donna), not to mention making Marchibroda OC (oh that's nice, one for the old boy network), or Walt Corey (huh ?). Polian ? (no way)

I'm stuck on the numbers 7, 19, 27 & 31 though, those are the rankings of Ryan-ish defenses last season, (7 was KC which is Ryan based in theory not scheme). To me that means his concept is played out like the Tampa-2 under Jauron was too worn by then, teams have seen too much of it and know what to do with it (quick plays after confusing substitutions with versatile players). They pummeled Brady in the 2nd Pats game, but that was it, why weren't they pummeling the lesser qb's they faced ?

To me it's because Ryan has about spent his creativity game to game. You might get a couple games like that a year, but he'll be sure the rest will go his way, and he's not smart or adaptive enough to evolve.

I still hope though.

But after some of the venom that's come out of Trump's mouth, it was just (to me) idiotic that a man who largely works with the applicable ethnic groups and is working in an evolving city without the time or patience to pretend to be that rigid in a dynamic society, would embrace and endorse a man known for his ignorance, and so attempt to put his completely irrelevant political stamp of approval on a man who said his boss paid too much for the team (so Trump knows better), is not being a man who learns and grows. Your work and life are mirrors of your capability, I've found.

So if his defense can't rise to the challenge, we need a buzzsaw roll-up-points offense. And I just don't think we're on that path.

Won't stop hoping though. Will be more than happy to look like a fool like I did with the best team we ever had. I hope for that too, I'll be fine with it. Will be having fun with my team.

gebobs
04-21-2016, 06:26 AM
Rex is the male Sarah Palin.

With bigger tits.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-21-2016, 03:58 PM
Well looks like Rex helped as Trump won everywhere in NY except his own Manhattan district. Next week it is Pennsylvania and truthfully I don't know who to vote for as Pennsylvania delegates have no affiliation to their name on the ballot.

Mace
04-21-2016, 07:39 PM
Well looks like Rex helped as Trump won everywhere in NY except his own Manhattan district. Next week it is Pennsylvania and truthfully I don't know who to vote for as Pennsylvania delegates have no affiliation to their name on the ballot.

I really don't think Ryan helped much. No way Trump couldn't do well among Republicans in NY state. Huck Cruz and his "NY values" and who's a Kasich ?

ghz in pittsburgh
04-22-2016, 10:45 AM
I really don't think Ryan helped much. No way Trump couldn't do well among Republicans in NY state. Huck Cruz and his "NY values" and who's a Kasich ?

A bit different here next Tuesday. A couple of my friends are registered republicans and have followed the election process much closer than I did. Apparently in the Pittsburgh district, 3 delegates will be elected and only 3 names on the ballot -- all (now defunct) Rubio team staff members. Apparently they are being wined and dined by Cruz people for awhile now and when Trump came to Pittsburgh 10 days ago, they got to meet Trump backstage.

Publicly all 3 are non committing to any of Trump/Cruz/Kasich, but I heard people term them "non Trump supporters."

On a separate note, Steelers coach Tomlin stayed out of political arena by declining all invitations -- including Trump's -- to stomp the rallies. Trump mentioned Joe Paterno's name in his speech here (somewhat a gaff) but Paterno used to take those invitations for the likes of Bush etc.

stuckincincy
04-22-2016, 11:23 AM
A bit different here next Tuesday. A couple of my friends are registered republicans and have followed the election process much closer than I did. Apparently in the Pittsburgh district, 3 delegates will be elected and only 3 names on the ballot -- all (now defunct) Rubio team staff members. Apparently they are being wined and dined by Cruz people for awhile now and when Trump came to Pittsburgh 10 days ago, they got to meet Trump backstage.

Publicly all 3 are non committing to any of Trump/Cruz/Kasich, but I heard people term them "non Trump supporters."

On a separate note, Steelers coach Tomlin stayed out of political arena by declining all invitations -- including Trump's -- to stomp the rallies. Trump mentioned Joe Paterno's name in his speech here (somewhat a gaff) but Paterno used to take those invitations for the likes of Bush etc.

What does your phrase "stomp the rallies" mean?

ghz in pittsburgh
04-22-2016, 11:48 AM
What does your phrase "stomp the rallies" mean?

Sorry I used words to mean to kick off rallies, stomping the ground to get people fired up.

stuckincincy
04-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Sounds tribal - violent...

ghz in pittsburgh
04-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Should've said stump

stuckincincy
04-22-2016, 11:57 AM
Should've said stump

Much better!

ghz in pittsburgh
04-26-2016, 07:10 AM
Apparently Brady is in Trump's corner, too. Trump defended Brady yesterday but Brady gave Trump endorsement long time ago. http://deadspin.com/tom-brady-says-it-would-be-great-if-donald-trump-beco-1731177907

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2016, 07:16 AM
Apparently Brady is in Trump's corner, too. Trump defended Brady yesterday but Brady gave Trump endorsement long time ago. http://deadspin.com/tom-brady-says-it-would-be-great-if-donald-trump-beco-1731177907

Brady is such an attention whore. He should be studying the playbook and getting into shape instead of endorsing a presidential candidate. The Patriots are such a mess right now.

:rolleyes:

gebobs
04-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Brady is such an attention whore. He should be studying the playbook and getting into shape instead of endorsing a presidential candidate. The Patriots are such a mess right now.

:rolleyes:

You know, if and when the Bills ever do beat Brady and the Patriots in the East, I'll have Yardrat give you a cookie for that comment. It's right along the same vein as people excusing this or that player on the Bills for dodging preseason by saying Bruce did it regularly.

Yeah he did. But they aren't Bruce. And Rex isn't Belichick. And no Bills player has ever dominated our opponents like Brady has.

No cookie for you.

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
You know, if and when the Bills ever do beat Brady and the Patriots in the East, I'll have Yardrat give you a cookie for that comment.

If this were to happen, it would still have nothing to do with what Rex does during one day in the middle of the offseason.

It's right along the same vein as people excusing this or that player on the Bills for dodging preseason by saying Bruce did it regularly.

Yeah he did. But they aren't Bruce. And Rex isn't Belichick. And no Bills player has ever dominated our opponents like Brady has.

This isn't in the same vein at all, at least from my perspective. I wouldn't care if any single player/coach in Bills history gave an endorsement to any single presidential candidate in US history in the middle of April. It's meaningless.

No cookie for you.

I'm hurt.

gebobs
04-26-2016, 11:54 AM
If this were to happen, it would still have nothing to do with what Rex does during one day in the middle of the offseason.

If this were to ever happen, it won't be with blowhard as our coach.

This isn't in the same vein at all, at least from my perspective. I wouldn't care if any single player/coach in Bills history gave an endorsement to any single presidential candidate in US history in the middle of April. It's meaningless.

Sure it may be meaningless as far as his preparation for the season. It's my opinion that Rex will be unprepared as usual so it'll be status quo in that regard.

But it's not meaningless from a fan perspective. It's meaningful in that it reinforces the perception (and I am not alone here) that Rex is an empty suit blowhard. It's meaningful because for the first time in a while, the coach of my beloved Bills is embarrassing the team off the field as well as on. It's meaningful because his candidate of choice is arguably the single worst candidate to get this close to nomination. Of course, none of that has any direct impact on the team so maybe it's just me venting because I hate that jackass more than I hated any other coach going back to Harvey Johnson.

But maybe, just maybe, it will impact the team. Let me just throw this out there. Our coach is pimping for a douche nozzle who is perceived by a lot of people to be a racist. He tacitly accepted support from a few white supremacists. He was front and center in the birther movement. He actively sought the death penalty for the Central Park Five. He has condoned and even incited violence against blacks at his rallies. He's basically said Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers. Etc. etc.

As of now, there are no Efren Herreras or Benny Ricardos on this team, but the roster is over 80% black. Don't think Donald's racism is lost on all these guys. Professional athletes are far more politically astute than they were even a few decades ago.
If they can manage to string together some wins and put this team into contention, I think most of the players will laugh it off as just more buffoonery from Team Ryan. On the other hand, if things don't go their way out of the gate, don't be surprised if the grumbling starts really early. That is an entirely possible situation and as good as reason as any for coaches to keep their politics private.

Also, I wonder how Kim Pegula feels about it.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FBuzzFeedIRL%2Fvideos%2Fvb.1542830865968895%2F1623994014519246%2F%3Ftype%3D3&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2016, 01:01 PM
If this were to ever happen, it won't be with blowhard as our coach.

Maybe true, but if it did there wouldn't be enough crow to go around for everyone to eat and it would be glorious.

Sure it may be meaningless as far as his preparation for the season. It's my opinion that Rex will be unprepared as usual so it'll be status quo in that regard.

That may well be the case. It'll be purely because of his coaching ability/inability though. Not because he introduced Trump that one time.

But it's not meaningless from a fan perspective. It's meaningful in that it reinforces the perception (and I am not alone here) that Rex is an empty suit blowhard. It's meaningful because for the first time in a while, the coach of my beloved Bills is embarrassing the team off the field as well as on. It's meaningful because his candidate of choice is arguably the single worst candidate to get this close to nomination. Of course, none of that has any direct impact on the team so maybe it's just me venting because I hate that jackass more than I hated any other coach going back to Harvey Johnson.

I'll judge the guy based on his coaching, not based on his mouth. His coaching has sucked so far, and that's not because he mouths off. I'm not trying to defend his coaching, I'm defending his right to spend some time in the offseason doing something completely unrelated to football. You can be a blowhard as well as a good coach.

But maybe, just maybe, it will impact the team. Let me just throw this out there. Our coach is pimping for a douche nozzle who is perceived by a lot of people to be a racist. He tacitly accepted support from a few white supremacists. He was front and center in the birther movement. He actively sought the death penalty for the Central Park Five. He has condoned and even incited violence against blacks at his rallies. He's basically said Mexicans are rapists and drug dealers. Etc. etc.

Let's put it like this. I'm not a Trump fan, but I wouldn't care if my boss was a Trump fan. If I was making millions of dollars, then I REALLY wouldn't care who my boss supported. That's a chick thing to do. It doesn't affect your life, yet you let it affect your life.

As of now, there are no Efren Herreras or Benny Ricardos on this team, but the roster is over 80% black. Don't think Donald's racism is lost on all these guys. Professional athletes are far more politically astute than they were even a few decades ago.
If they can manage to string together some wins and put this team into contention, I think most of the players will laugh it off as just more buffoonery from Team Ryan. On the other hand, if things don't go their way out of the gate, don't be surprised if the grumbling starts really early. That is an entirely possible situation and as good as reason as any for coaches to keep their politics private.

Have we asked LeSean how he feels about it? If LeSean doesn't think Rex is a racist, then no one should.

Also, I wonder how Kim Pegula feels about it.

She might be upset about it, but if she can't separate business with personal feelings then she doesn't deserve to be a billionaire.

Mace
04-26-2016, 04:34 PM
She might be upset about it, but if she can't separate business with personal feelings then she doesn't deserve to be a billionaire.

If I was a billionaire, I'd give my personal feelings free rein. You're only supposed to separate them while you're becoming one. I mean look at Trump.

If she gets upset by anyone she should sock them, sock them good, throw a handful of benjamins at them and sock them again for good measure. I'd let her sock me.

YardRat
04-26-2016, 05:00 PM
You know, if and when the Bills ever do beat Brady and the Patriots in the East, I'll have Yardrat give you a cookie for that comment. It's right along the same vein as people excusing this or that player on the Bills for dodging preseason by saying Bruce did it regularly.

No cookie for you.

I'm open to taking requests.

Mace
04-26-2016, 05:48 PM
I'm open to taking requests.

I have your back.

He's open to taking requests.

Joe Fo Sho
04-27-2016, 06:09 AM
If I was a billionaire, I'd give my personal feelings free rein. You're only supposed to separate them while you're becoming one.

Or if you're trying to continue building on your success. Like, for instance, if you owned a football team.

I mean look at Trump.

I'd rather not.

While Trump is probably more honest than most politicians, he's certainly not truthful in everything he's said.

If she gets upset by anyone she should sock them, sock them good, throw a handful of benjamins at them and sock them again for good measure. I'd let her sock me.

Ha, if you take away the benjamins in this scenario it's pretty much exactly what my little nephew does.

gebobs
04-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Let's put it like this. I'm not a Trump fan, but I wouldn't care if my boss was a Trump fan. If I was making millions of dollars, then I REALLY wouldn't care who my boss supported. That's a chick thing to do. It doesn't affect your life, yet you let it affect your life.

That's a very reasonable and objective position, but I'm not all that concerned about your views. Since we can assume that every player is not as coldly rational as you sitting there in the comfort of your home, you who are not subject to the microscope of a million strong rabid fanbase, you who are not fighting to emerge from the cellar of your profession, my point stands: this chicken may come home to roost.

Have we asked LeSean how he feels about it? If LeSean doesn't think Rex is a racist, then no one should.

Who said anything about Rex being a racist?

I was not aware that there were merit criteria for that gig. No wonder I'm still punching the clock. ;-)

gebobs
04-27-2016, 12:55 PM
Or if you're trying to continue building on your success. Like, for instance, if you owned a football team.

I'm confused. The owner who is trying to build a successful team needs to watch what they say and do, but the guy they hired to do just that doesn't? And they just have to suck it up and let him be the utter douche nozzle he is?

Even so, you say it's personal. I say it's business. His actions might have an impact on morale. It's a possibility and that's undeniable. As such, it presents ownership with an assumption of risk that it doesn't need with respect to a large investment they have made. That's business.

If I was Pegula, I would invite Rex over for dinner. The minute we sit down, I would tell him: "Give me a winning season. Get me to the playoffs. Win a playoff game. This is what I pay you for. I pay you bank and until such time as you deliver, I own you so shut the fark up, do your goddamned job. The only time I want to read about you in the papers is when the team wins. This franchise has had enough embarrassments. It doesn't need any more. The fans deserve better."

"Now pass the effing bread and get the fark out of my goddamned house. Dinner's over."

Joe Fo Sho
04-27-2016, 01:01 PM
That's a very reasonable and objective position, but I'm not all that concerned about your views.

You must be at least a little concerned about my views to be trying to convince me to change them.

Since we can assume that every player is not as coldly rational as you

It really is a shame, isn't it?

you sitting there in the comfort of your home, you who are not subject to the microscope of a million strong rabid fanbase, you who are not fighting to emerge from the cellar of your profession, my point stands: this chicken may come home to roost.

Who says I'm not trying to emerge from the cellar of my profession?!

Who said anything about Rex being a racist?

Well you said Trump was a racist, and then said that the players would start to grumble about Rex's support of Trump if we start losing. I think it was reasonable to imply.

I was not aware that there were merit criteria for that gig. No wonder I'm still punching the clock. ;-)

Have you ever tried to become a billionaire while letting your personal feeling influence your decision making? Maybe that's where you're going wrong. :nono:

Joe Fo Sho
04-27-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm confused. The owner who is trying to build a successful team needs to watch what they say and do, but the guy they hired to do just that doesn't? And they just have to suck it up and let him be the utter douche nozzle he is?

Does his contract say anything about who he's allowed to support politically?

Even so, you say it's personal. I say it's business. His actions might have an impact on morale. It's a possibility and that's undeniable. As such, it presents ownership with an assumption of risk that it doesn't need with respect to a large investment they have made. That's business.

Of course it's possible, but I'm not going to ***** about everything that might happen.

If I was Pegula, I would invite Rex over for dinner. The minute we sit down, I would tell him: "Give me a winning season. Get me to the playoffs. Win a playoff game. This is what I pay you for. I pay you bank and until such time as you deliver, I own you so shut the fark up, do your goddamned job. The only time I want to read about you in the papers is when the team wins. This franchise has had enough embarrassments. It doesn't need any more. The fans deserve better."

"Now pass the effing bread and get the fark out of my goddamned house. Dinner's over."

The bolded part is the only thing I disagree with in that little speech.

gebobs
04-27-2016, 01:21 PM
You must be at least a little concerned about my views to be trying to convince me to change them.

There's a difference between "not all that" and "not at all", Joe. The point though was that your views on the matter are not relevant to the point. The players' opinions are.

Well you said Trump was a racist, and then said that the players would start to grumble about Rex's support of Trump if we start losing. I think it was reasonable to imply.

Whether or not that's reasonable is up for debate, but once again a reasonable position cannot be assumed. These players are under enormous pressure which most folks cannot fathom. Compounding that fact is that the pressure is not evenly exerted. It comes like a Cat 5 storm surge every Sunday and if your team is on the downside of bountiful week in and week out, you can add a magnitude 9 earthquake and maybe extinction-level asteroid impact. Technically speaking, of course.

Have you ever tried to become a billionaire while letting your personal feeling influence your decision making?

First off, I would argue that everyone, billionaire or not, faces that tension between suppressing personal bias and objective clarity. Secondly, and I'll say it once again, this isn't necessarily entirely personal.

gebobs
04-27-2016, 01:35 PM
Does his contract say anything about who he's allowed to support politically?

I doubt it. As such, he serves at the pleasure of the owner and the Pegulas could fire his sorry ass for no reason if they choose.

Of course it's possible, but I'm not going to ***** about everything that might happen.

You don't have billions of dollars invested in it. The more one invests, the less risk one is generally willing to assume. Unless one expects a commensurate return, any risk is bad. Guys like Pegula pay folks a lot of money to do just such analyses and you might be surprised at how seemingly innocuous some of the identified risks can be. This one doesn't need a horde of consultants.

Mace
04-27-2016, 05:59 PM

No no, once I was a billionaire I'd build on my success by being as ruthless and personal as I wished. The Rams Kroenke cared not at all about playing nice with his fellow owners or St. Louis, and he got what he wanted. I'd call that building on his success pretty well. He owns a bunch of franchises. Finally decided he wanted LA, while the NFL was waffling for ages, bought some land, broke ground and took LA, and will get a tenant team to ante up besides. Pretty much took and shoved that down the NFL's throat.

I'd say Trump has been giving his personal feelings free rein throughout the campaign, over and over, unconcerned about playing nice and building on his success as well.

Your little nephew is clearly in training to be rich.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2016, 05:59 AM
There's a difference between "not all that" and "not at all", Joe. The point though was that your views on the matter are not relevant to the point. The players' opinions are.

Fine, don't care about my views. I didn't want you to anyway!

Whether or not that's reasonable is up for debate, but once again a reasonable position cannot be assumed. These players are under enormous pressure which most folks cannot fathom. Compounding that fact is that the pressure is not evenly exerted. It comes like a Cat 5 storm surge every Sunday and if your team is on the downside of bountiful week in and week out, you can add a magnitude 9 earthquake and maybe extinction-level asteroid impact. Technically speaking, of course.

Those poor, poor millionaires.

First off, I would argue that everyone, billionaire or not, faces that tension between suppressing personal bias and objective clarity.

Well, sure. There's just more at stake when you're a billionaire.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2016, 06:03 AM
I doubt it. As such, he serves at the pleasure of the owner and the Pegulas could fire his sorry ass for no reason if they choose.

They could do that anyway, whenever they wanted. Since he was not in breach of contract, he'd still get paid. Meaning he didn't violate the terms of his employment.

You don't have billions of dollars invested in it. The more one invests, the less risk one is generally willing to assume. Unless one expects a commensurate return, any risk is bad. Guys like Pegula pay folks a lot of money to do just such analyses and you might be surprised at how seemingly innocuous some of the identified risks can be. This one doesn't need a horde of consultants.

Firing a head coach because of his personal beliefs is not without risk. Would the next great coach be willing to come to Buffalo if he was going to be given a muzzle?

There's risks involved with both approaches.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2016, 06:07 AM
No no, once I was a billionaire I'd build on my success by being as ruthless and personal as I wished. The Rams Kroenke cared not at all about playing nice with his fellow owners or St. Louis, and he got what he wanted. I'd call that building on his success pretty well. He owns a bunch of franchises. Finally decided he wanted LA, while the NFL was waffling for ages, bought some land, broke ground and took LA, and will get a tenant team to ante up besides. Pretty much took and shoved that down the NFL's throat.

He sure did. It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for him.

I'd say Trump has been giving his personal feelings free rein throughout the campaign, over and over, unconcerned about playing nice and building on his success as well.

That's because Trump has a good brain, he uses the best words.

gebobs
04-28-2016, 06:27 AM
Firing a head coach because of his personal beliefs is not without risk.

Firing a coach for any reason is risky and personal beliefs should be given wider latitude than say performance. But if personal beliefs collide with the organization's goals, it's not in the best interest of the investors to be overly indulgent. I'm not saying the Pegulas are going to fire him. But they could privately tell him to tone it down and keep the public focus on his job.

Would the next great coach be willing to come to Buffalo if he was going to be given a muzzle?

Next? Not to divert the arc of this thread, but the Bills have never had a great coach. The closest they had was Chuck Knox and cheapskate Wilson wouldn't pay him his due. Otherwise, Levy was competent, but harbored too many loyalties to guys that should have been sent packing e.g. Walt Corey. Arguably, he was thoroughly outcoached in four SBs.

But regarding your concern about future coaching prospects, they need not know. I think the Pegulas, as I have said all along, should privately handle this behind closed doors. By all accounts, that is their management style. Either that or completely hands off because I don't hear peep one from them about anything franchise related. Maybe it's just that I don't get the local skinny down here in ATL.

gebobs
04-28-2016, 06:31 AM
Those poor, poor millionaires.
Definitely agree. Millionaire crybabies, a lot of them. Unfortunately, that's something that every franchise has to deal with nowadays. Not that i want to go back to the days when players were chewed up and spat out though.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2016, 06:59 AM
Next? Not to divert the arc of this thread, but the Bills have never had a great coach. The closest they had was Chuck Knox and cheapskate Wilson wouldn't pay him his due. Otherwise, Levy was competent, but harbored too many loyalties to guys that should have been sent packing e.g. Walt Corey. Arguably, he was thoroughly outcoached in four SBs.

Whoa, whoa. I meant the next great coach in the grand scheme of the NFL, not the Bills.

But regarding your concern about future coaching prospects, they need not know. I think the Pegulas, as I have said all along, should privately handle this behind closed doors. By all accounts, that is their management style. Either that or completely hands off because I don't hear peep one from them about anything franchise related. Maybe it's just that I don't get the local skinny down here in ATL.

That definitely seems to be their style, and I like it. Much better than the other end of the spectrum with Jerry Jones and Jim Irsay.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2016, 07:30 AM
I think many of you are upset simply because Rex didn't endorse the Witch or the Socialist.

gebobs
04-28-2016, 07:41 AM
I think many of you are upset simply because Rex didn't endorse the Witch or the Socialist.

You think wrong.