PDA

View Full Version : Will BUF try to peddle WR Robert Woods?

stuckincincy
04-19-2016, 08:29 PM
It's no secret that his relationship with the club isn't very good. What do you think BUF could get for him in a trade or in a draft pick deal?

Dr. Lecter
04-19-2016, 08:31 PM
It's isn't good? based on what?

And without him, who is the #2 WR? #3?

stuckincincy
04-19-2016, 08:39 PM
It's isn't good? based on what?

And without him, who is the #2 WR? #3?

He got held out of games a while back. He also mouthed off in Watkins fashion.

..."According to the Buffalo News, Woods is on thin ice with the franchise. The receiver has never truly developed into the down-field threat the Bills were hoping to get with him just three seasons ago. Woods put up 47 catches for 552 yards in 2015, but his stock with the team is falling. He publically complained about his role in the offense saying he was not a blocking receiver. That paired with injuries has faith falling and his chances of getting released rising. General manager Doug Whaley admitted that the team cannot rely on the rest of their roster outside of Watkins and they need to find a No.2 this offseason."...

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/73207/20160201/buffalo-bills-rumors-robert-woods-released-percy-harvin-returns-braxton-miller-sterling-shepard-draft-targets-sammy-watkins-help.htm

They ought to ring up CIN, who lost Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu in FA and see if anything is shaking.

Scumbag College
04-19-2016, 08:57 PM
I am not sure what the Bills have in Hankerson and Little. Both guys put up decent numbers in the past, but for whatever reasons were not in football too much in 2015. Dez Lewis seems like a project. Easley is coming off of a broken kneecap and is a special teams guy. Salas has bounced around a bunch. Before the draft, if they trade Woods away that is a big risk that they are taking with replacing him in the lineup and might guarantee a double team on Sammy on almost every passing down if they pin their hopes on one of these guys or a rookie to come in at the #2.

If the Bills pick up a WR that they absolutely love in the first three rounds, then I could see Woods moved in between Day 2 and 3 for a fourth round pick. I'm pretty sure that's when and for what Stevie was traded for. It seems like there are a bunch of trades in between Days 2 and 3 of the draft and this would be the only scenario that would make much sense.

ParanoidAndroid
04-19-2016, 09:23 PM
I think Robert woods has suffered a lack of consistency and skill at the QB position. He's never been considered a deep threat but more of a tough underneath receiver who can muscle his way to the ball. E.J. Manuel has a better connection with him than Tyrod does and I think that was a matter of EJ knowing that Woods was going to win contested catches more often than lose them. Tyrod throws it late like EJ does but I don't think he has that same trust. And, no. I'm not making a case for EJ at all. I'm saying that Woods is a good receiver and Tyrod needs to get him the ball.

stuckincincy
04-19-2016, 09:35 PM
I am not sure what the Bills have in Hankerson and Little. Both guys put up decent numbers in the past, but for whatever reasons were not in football too much in 2015. Dez Lewis seems like a project. Easley is coming off of a broken kneecap and is a special teams guy. Salas has bounced around a bunch. Before the draft, if they trade Woods away that is a big risk that they are taking with replacing him in the lineup and might guarantee a double team on Sammy on almost every passing down if they pin their hopes on one of these guys or a rookie to come in at the #2.

If the Bills pick up a WR that they absolutely love in the first three rounds, then I could see Woods moved in between Day 2 and 3 for a fourth round pick. I'm pretty sure that's when and for what Stevie was traded for. It seems like there are a bunch of trades in between Days 2 and 3 of the draft and this would be the only scenario that would make much sense.

Thanks. You are a good football poster - You don't jump and question why somebody made a comment, you consider the posit and offer your thoughts.

It's a weak WR draft - the experts say, and they generally know more about it than we on a fan site. Woods isn't happy here; they aren't especially happy with him.

I think your proposed scenario is a good one. CIN has a need, and I do expect them to trade down from their #24 spot. A deal with GB at #27 has been bandied about by the press here...only 3 spots, and that would likely cost GB their 3rd.

Woods would have to be in perfect health though - CIN got burned by a dumb signing of WR Antonio Bryant 5 or so years ago and that is not forgotten. There's been some chit-chat about Anquin Boldin here, BTW.

Also...BTW, OSU WR Michael Thomas might be of interest to BUF. I've watched him play - you can't avoid having OSU football splattered across the tv screen every Saturday here - he looked pretty good. The caveat of course being that it's easy to look good on perennial power house teams.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1983802/michael-thomas

Luisito23
04-19-2016, 10:21 PM
Whatever they get (6th. or 7th.) will not be worth it...

He knows the system and he's been here for a while, might as well keep him.

Dr. Lecter
04-20-2016, 03:27 AM
Thanks. You are a good football poster - You don't jump and question why somebody made a comment, you consider the posit and offer your thoughts.

Nice passive - aggressive attack here. But if you want to compare football posts, I'm willing at anytime

The questions are legitimate though, whether you like it or not.

The fact is the depth the Bills have at WR is sorely lacking and trading their second best WR is not likely to happen with a crew of cast-offs remaining on the team. One can consider the thoughts and still want to look deeper.

Picking up a rookie and hoping he can replace Woods production also wouldn't be wise, not that the Bills wouldn't do something unwise.

I also still question how it is well know that they aren't happy with each other. A player sounded off on something. It happens. Maybe the current regime views him more as a 3rd WR.

Johnson was a different scenario. His contract alone made him more likely to be moved. So did his attitude and some issues he had behind the scenes.

I just don't see it - they are already way to thin at the position.

YardRat
04-20-2016, 03:53 AM
I agree the team is too thin at the position to move him, and what we could get in return would be minimal. It's also true, however, that Woods hasn't really developed into a consistent contributor that was expected from a second-rounder (to me, anyway). Granted, part of that could be the issue at QB...it could also be a result of the coordinators and offenses he's has to deal with. I wouldn't move him...give him a second year with Roman and Taylor, but he is a holdover from the previous regime and the 'new' guys are going to look at Robert simply as a player, not a second round pick, and who the hell knows if they have a higher opinion of some of their own acquisitions (Salas, for example) than they do Woods.

BertSquirtgum
04-20-2016, 04:05 AM
It's no secret that his relationship with the club isn't very good. What do you think BUF could get for him in a trade or in a draft pick deal?

You came out with this horse**** last year. No one has ever said the relationship between the two isn't good execept you. Why would they trade away a good receiver? Who's going to replace him?

pmoon6
04-20-2016, 04:13 AM
You came out with this horse**** last year. No one has ever said the relationship between the two isn't good execept you. Why would they trade away a good receiver? Who's going to replace him?Yeah, I think we should trade half the roster.

They all suck and none will ever make the Pro Bowl.

Turf
04-20-2016, 06:08 AM
Woods made some phenomonel plays the season before last, and I thought last year would be a break out year. But they never threw the ball to him, rarely, and he disappeared. I'm not sure its his fault.

Night Train
04-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Woods made some phenomonel plays the season before last, and I thought last year would be a break out year. But they never threw the ball to him, rarely, and he disappeared. I'm not sure its his fault.

Slot seems like his future. They signed all those taller guys to see if any could play wide. I don't see him going anywhere soon.

Pinkerton Security
04-20-2016, 07:36 AM
Woods is a solid receiver and provides good depth, but we'd never get more than a very late round pick for him, hes worth more than that to us now.

cookie G
04-20-2016, 07:37 AM

He played all last season with a bad groin, torn during tc. It finally went for good in Dec.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/23231/bills-robert-woods-played-14-games-with-torn-groin

Buffalo Bills wide receiver Robert Woods revealed Monday that he played 14 games this season with a torn groin after injuring himself in a training camp joint practice with the Cleveland Browns last August.

"I battled through it pretty much all year, and then it finally went out," he said.

Asked how much it limited his performance this season, Woods responded, "I think a lot. I wasn't able to really run too much or open up."

The Bills placed Woods on injured reserve Dec. 22 and he underwent surgery late last month. He was given a six-week recovery period and he expects to be able to participate in organized team activities, which begin in May.

Woods participated in the Bills' first joint practice Aug. 17 with the Browns but he did not practice Aug. 18 and was held out of the Bills' preseason game Aug. 20 at Cleveland.

But yes, I can see him being traded for a 5th round pick, where they select a reserve cornerback or free safety.

justasportsfan
04-20-2016, 07:54 AM
Can't blame Woods. He's had one crappy qb after another since he was drafted. Being here is ruining his career.

Tyrod is a one trick pony in the passing game which doesn't benefit a wr like Woods.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-20-2016, 09:22 AM

He was the 2nd most targeted player on the team, with 80 throws. His targets went down because everyone's targets went down. We threw the ball 465 times last year vs. 579 times in 2014.

Ed
04-20-2016, 09:58 AM
The Bills had the opportunity to trade him last year. The Eagles wanted Woods or Alonso for McCoy. The Bills picked Alonso.

It doesn't really make sense to trade Woods. Right now there are just a bunch of bodies at WR behind Watkins and Woods, and it would be foolish to expect or count on a rookie to make a significant contribution. Woods will be healthier and have the whole off-season to focus on developing chemistry with Tyrod instead of being part of a 3-way competition. He's also in a contract year so he has plenty of motivation to step up and have a big season.

Mr. Pink
04-20-2016, 11:05 AM
What are they gonna peddle him for?

A box of kicking tees and a net?

mightysimi
04-20-2016, 03:25 PM
What are they gonna peddle him for?

A box of kicking tees and a net?

It's so we can put two side by side so carpenter can hit something.

Mr. Miyagi
04-21-2016, 05:56 AM
He got held out of games a while back. He also mouthed off in Watkins fashion.

..."According to the Buffalo News, Woods is on thin ice with the franchise. The receiver has never truly developed into the down-field threat the Bills were hoping to get with him just three seasons ago. Woods put up 47 catches for 552 yards in 2015, but his stock with the team is falling. He publically complained about his role in the offense saying he was not a blocking receiver. That paired with injuries has faith falling and his chances of getting released rising. General manager Doug Whaley admitted that the team cannot rely on the rest of their roster outside of Watkins and they need to find a No.2 this offseason."...

http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/73207/20160201/buffalo-bills-rumors-robert-woods-released-percy-harvin-returns-braxton-miller-sterling-shepard-draft-targets-sammy-watkins-help.htm

They ought to ring up CIN, who lost Marvin Jones and Mo Sanu in FA and see if anything is shaking.
Who the hell is sportsworldreport? Never heard of them. Just because some third rate blogger decided to randomly make some **** up doesn't mean it suddenly is true.

Ever heard of the saying "don't believe everything you read on the internet"?

stuckincincy
04-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Who the hell is sportsworldreport? Never heard of them. Just because some third rate blogger decided to randomly make some **** up doesn't mean it suddenly is true.

Ever heard of the saying "don't believe everything you read on the internet"?

Why are you acting so indignant? And condescending. Of course I know the internet is largely a pile of crap.

Who implied it was true? 'Tis merely somebodies' musings. A link. Another person's opinion.

...used by me as I raised a topic about Woods.

Sooo...anything to add about the topic? :handball:

Mr. Miyagi
04-21-2016, 07:39 AM
Why are you acting so indignant? And condescending. Of course I know the internet is largely a pile of crap.

Who implied it was true? 'Tis merely somebodies' musings. A link. Another person's opinion.

...used by me as I raised a topic about Woods.

Sooo...anything to add about the topic? :handball:
Sorry you took it personally. It was not directed at you. I was merely pissed at people who intentionally frame up their personal opinions and random darts on the wall as "breaking news" just to get the spotlight, in turn falsely spreading rumors.

"Buffalo has INQUIRED about moving up the #2" - Duh, everyone inquires, doesn't mean they want to do it.
"Buffalo COULD move to Toronto" - "Could" doesn't mean "will". I "could" be the Prince of Egypt but I'm never really going to be.

That's all I'm saying. Sorry you took it as a shot at you.

trapezeus
04-21-2016, 10:16 AM
wood seems to be as an underutilized player. he has his big games. but we haven't had qb's that like the middle of the field. so in that case, he's not going to get high touches.

DraftBoy
04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
I think people expecting huge numbers out of Robert Woods are over-estimating his skill set. He should be an ideal slot guy who runs precise underneath routes and had great field awareness for the first down marker. I would like us to add a better compliment to Watkins by finding a WR with some size and speed to keep defenses from shading to Watkins.

Joe Fo Sho
04-21-2016, 10:36 AM
I "could" be the Prince of Egypt but I'm never really going to be.

Well, certainly not with that attitude.

stuckincincy
04-21-2016, 12:32 PM
Sorry you took it personally. It was not directed at you. I was merely pissed at people who intentionally frame up their personal opinions and random darts on the wall as "breaking news" just to get the spotlight, in turn falsely spreading rumors.

"Buffalo has INQUIRED about moving up the #2" - Duh, everyone inquires, doesn't mean they want to do it.
"Buffalo COULD move to Toronto" - "Could" doesn't mean "will". I "could" be the Prince of Egypt but I'm never really going to be.

That's all I'm saying. Sorry you took it as a shot at you.

No offense taken. You're right - you can get a link to bolster just about anything. On the other end of the spectrum, if one were to say that the sun will rise tomorrow, there are folks that would shout "Oh yeah? gimme a link!" or some such. :kid:

Ed
04-21-2016, 12:58 PM
I think people expecting huge numbers out of Robert Woods are over-estimating his skill set. He should be an ideal slot guy who runs precise underneath routes and had great field awareness for the first down marker. I would like us to add a better compliment to Watkins by finding a WR with some size and speed to keep defenses from shading to Watkins.
Do you have any specific draft prospects in mind?

DraftBoy
04-21-2016, 02:11 PM
Do you have any specific draft prospects in mind?

A few that intrigue me are:
Geronimo Allison - Illinois
Dominated at Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl in practices.

DeRunnya Wilson - Miss State
His 4.85 40 time is worrisome but he didn't have much trouble in the SEC getting deep and tracking the ball

Devon Cajuste - Stanford
More of a tweener WR/TE but he could be a Benjamin type for our offense

Marquez North - Tennessee
Was supposed to be the next Peerless Price but injuries and inconsistent QB play hurt his development, he's a potential diamond in the rough

Duke Williams - Auburn
Again slower 40 time and off the field red flags, but he can get deep and he can go up and attack the football.

DraftBoy
04-21-2016, 02:13 PM
I should add that at his pro day De. Wilson ran a reported 4.71-4.78 among hand times.

trapezeus
04-21-2016, 02:17 PM
another duke Williams? are they related?

Dr. Lecter
04-21-2016, 02:30 PM
With the loss of Mario, that might help the Bills fulfill their Williams quota.

stuckincincy
I should add that at his pro day De. Wilson ran a reported 4.71-4.78 among hand times.

I wonder when OSU WR Thomas will garner consideration. An ideal 2 rounds for CIN would be to grab DT Clark after a trade-down and give Thomas a go.

DraftBoy
another duke Williams? are they related?

Technically his name is D'haquille Williams, they just called him Duke, and no he has seven siblings but the Bills current Duke Williams is not one of them.

DraftBoy
04-21-2016, 02:32 PM
With the loss of Mario, that might help the Bills fulfill their Williams quota.

Don't forget that every year the quota increases by one so they may need to take more than just one.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when OSU WR Thomas will garner consideration. An ideal 2 rounds for CIN would be to grab DT Clark after a trade-down and give Thomas a go.

Based on multiple site rankings (CBS, Walter, ESPN, etc) he looks like a Late Day 2 - Early Day 3 type of WR.

stuckincincy
04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Based on multiple site rankings (CBS, Walter, ESPN, etc) he looks like a Late Day 2 - Early Day 3 type of WR.

Thanks for the research re Thomas. OSU players are a plus with CIN re the gate - you know about CIN's problems with sell-outs despite the string of winning seasons.

Braxton Miller gets ink here, also.

BTW - I hope you are enjoying your new ride.

DraftBoy
04-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the research re Thomas. OSU players are a plus with CIN re the gate - you know about CIN's problems with sell-outs despite the string of winning seasons.

Braxton Miller gets ink here, also.

BTW - I hope you are enjoying your new ride.

No worries, I have a spreadsheet that I utilize to look at composite rankings. Mainly because I'm a nerd.

I am, the only issue I'm having is with the sunglass holder in the car roof. I read online I need to put a shim in it so that the pin fully engages and it stops falling randomly and blocking the rearview mirror.

Forward_Lateral
04-25-2016, 06:32 AM
He was held out of the last game because of an injury. He came on very strong towards the end of the season, IMO. Taylor is the problem. He locks in on Watkins, and if Sammy isn't open, he doesn't bother looking for other guys, he usually runs with it. He needs to improve his field vision in order to remain in the NFL, imo.