PDA

View Full Version : Would you agree to this three-team trade?

Thurmal
04-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Been thinking about the Taylor situation, and it's going to go one of two ways. Either he regresses, and we need a QB again, OR, he plays well and we have to give him a huge contract.

Gilmore is also coming up next year. I'd rather have Gilmore than Taylor, if it comes down to the two. I'd like to have some money to keep Sammy Watkins around too when his inevitable huge deal will have to be made. Would you make the following hypothetical trade:

Bills trade Talyor to Denver, who trades whatever draft pick to San Fran, who trades Kaepernick to Buffalo. Basically a Taylor-for-Kaepernick swap. I would do it in a heartbeat.

swiper
04-21-2016, 04:20 PM
Nope.

I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but Kaepernick's been figured out. His star has fizzled. He'll never be very good again.

Thurmal
04-21-2016, 04:27 PM
Nope.

I'm not a Taylor fan at all, but Kaepernick's been figured out. His star has fizzled. He'll never be very good again.

In two years under Roman, he went to a SB and an NFC Championship Game that they lost by a hair. He strikes me as a "needs a change of scenery" guy.

swiper
04-21-2016, 04:31 PM
Maybe. I'm not as high as that on him. Just my opinion though.

Thurmal
04-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Maybe. I'm not as high as that on him. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, I'm just spitballing here. Taylor seems like a good game manager, but I don't think he'll ever be the kind of dude where, if the Bills are down by 17 with 12:00 mins left in the 3rd quarter, you'll say, "it's okay, we got a guy that can bring us back."

ParanoidAndroid
04-21-2016, 04:45 PM
This idea makes me sad.

EDS
04-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Definitely no.

The King
04-21-2016, 05:19 PM
SF is going to dump Kap as soon as they can without penalty which is next year. We can essentially get him without giving up anything.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-21-2016, 05:31 PM
We can't afford Kaepernick's 2016 salary and he's already refused to lower it.

OpIv37
04-21-2016, 06:41 PM
SF is going to dump Kap as soon as they can without penalty which is next year. We can essentially get him without giving up anything.
Tyrod's an FA next year. Kap will get cut next year. We will have a lot of cap space. Our choice.

YardRat
04-21-2016, 07:48 PM
No. I'll add Taylor needs to do more than 'play well', he needs to up what he did last season (which was play well) and split the difference between 'playing well' and 'elite'. If Tyrod doesn't make enough progress where there is almost definitive evidence that he could be elite he isn't worth a big money contract.

Mace
04-21-2016, 07:54 PM
Well, I think we have like 55 million in cap space projected for next season, so don't worry too much about the money factor anyway.

I'm a Kap fan, but like Illumi noted, he wouldn't lower his salary for Denver, he wouldn't come here for vet minimum, which is about all we can afford this season.

I still really like the idea of pistol Kap with pistol Gailey, won't happen though.

I'm not sure Taylor will amount to much, but I'm not really sure he won't if he grows a little and stays healthy. He was pretty much a vet rookie starter and did pretty well with that perspective so I say roll the dice on him and see what happens. We don't have a gunslinger offense and aren't meant to win shootouts with this staff anyway.

Biggest thing though about Kap, he didn't thrive in a Roman offense. Roman did the running game. Harbaugh did the passing game, so Kap thrived under Harbaugh. I don't see Wildcat Lee being Harbaugh.

sukie
04-21-2016, 08:58 PM
No. I'll add Taylor needs to do more than 'play well', he needs to up what he did last season (which was play well) and split the difference between 'playing well' and 'elite'. If Tyrod doesn't make enough progress where there is almost definitive evidence that he could be elite he isn't worth a big money contract.Nipping at someone's Rx cough medicine , are ya?Taylor needs a 30% leap of improvement. Perhaps more. Tyrod is now known. NE Figured him out.

1.Rush wide and outside from the DE position and keep him in the pocket.
2. Cover from three yards wide of the hash marks to each sideline.
3. Repeat ad nauseum.

So Taylor has to learn to stay put and use the middle . BIG LEAP. HUGE. That is a glaring problem. Tanner ill can't hit a deep ball . Just cannot do it. Can Taylor use the WHOLE field like a real QB? Big question mark.

Mr. Miyagi
04-21-2016, 10:02 PM
In two years under Roman, he went to a SB and an NFC Championship Game that they lost by a hair. He strikes me as a "needs a change of scenery" guy.
You're insane. Kaepernick is garbage.

Mace
04-21-2016, 10:15 PM
You're insane. Kaepernick is garbage.

Insanity is using 2012 Psy when there is some really good post 2012 Psy available you madman.

Buffalogic
04-22-2016, 08:44 AM
Kaep sucks.

Night Train
04-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Well, I think we have like 55 million in cap space projected for next season.

But with how many players under contract ? I'm just asking.

Many of those figures are inflated because so few guys are under contract.

It's hard to know if Kap has totally lost it or it's all a result of San Fran GM Trent Baalke having completely ruined the team by dumping Harbuagh, hiring a low level asst. to further bury the team and now he's reportedly fighting with Chip Kelly, who likes Kap (Baalke hates him). I'm sure Roman knows all about Kap and what's really going on.

EDS
04-22-2016, 10:10 AM

It's hard to know if Kap has totally lost it or it's all a result of San Fran GM Trent Baalke having completely ruined the team by dumping Harbuagh, hiring a low level asst. to further bury the team and now he's reportedly fighting with Chip Kelly, who likes Kap (Baalke hates him). I'm sure Roman knows all about Kap and what's really going on.

The $55 million in available cap space for next season does not take into account salaries for Gilmore, Glenn or Taylor. If Taylor is solid this season that trio could easily take up $45m of such cap space.

The Bills best hope for this season is that Taylor improves upon last season (and the teams record reflects that improvement as well), thus justifying a large contract, or he stinks enough for the team to get a high pick next season and makes the decision to not offer a large contract easy.

Mr. Miyagi
04-22-2016, 10:22 AM
Insanity is using 2012 Psy when there is some really good post 2012 Psy available you madman.
LOL good point. I hide avatars so I forgot about mine.

swiper
04-22-2016, 10:40 AM

If that's really the case, then why didn't they get a deal done with Denver and, at least, get something for him?

swiper
04-22-2016, 10:42 AM

Which is why it's important to get Glenn signed to a contract sooner than later.

Kaepernick's downhill slide started in the last season of Harbaugh & Roman. That's why there was so much criticism of Roman for "not using him right."

49ers' offensive woes: Roman or Kaepernick to blame? (http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27069766/49ers-offensive-woes-roman-or-kaepernick-blame)http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/10601/oc-greg-roman-calls-balderdash-on-colin-kaepernick-lack-of-touch-claims

Oaf
04-22-2016, 10:53 AM
I would take Kap over Taylor, to answer your question.

MillsapsBillsFan
04-22-2016, 11:11 AM
Been thinking about the Taylor situation, and it's going to go one of two ways. Either he regresses, and we need a QB again, OR, he plays well and we have to give him a huge contract.

Gilmore is also coming up next year. I'd rather have Gilmore than Taylor, if it comes down to the two. I'd like to have some money to keep Sammy Watkins around too when his inevitable huge deal will have to be made. Would you make the following hypothetical trade:

Bills trade Talyor to Denver, who trades whatever draft pick to San Fran, who trades Kaepernick to Buffalo. Basically a Taylor-for-Kaepernick swap. I would do it in a heartbeat.

Im not a huge fan of Kaep and I dont think it will 100% come down to Taylor vs. Gilmore for a contract. Over the Cap has us at 54,000,000 in cap space next year assuming the cap doesnt rise. Stick with Taylor, see if he progresses for a year and then decide. Tag him if you need to

stuckincincy
04-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Which is why it's important to get Glenn signed to a contract sooner than later.

Kaepernick's downhill slide started in the last season of Harbaugh & Roman. That's why there was so much criticism of Roman for "not using him right."

49ers' offensive woes: Roman or Kaepernick to blame? (http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_27069766/49ers-offensive-woes-roman-or-kaepernick-blame)http://espn.go.com/blog/san-francisco-49ers/post/_/id/10601/oc-greg-roman-calls-balderdash-on-colin-kaepernick-lack-of-touch-claims

Yeah, and it's possible that teams sussed out how to deal with the "read option" like they did with the wildcat plays of yore.

Feel free to check my word choices as you are wont to do... :kid:

MillsapsBillsFan
04-22-2016, 11:13 AM

Thats with 40 players under contract.

Joe Fo Sho
04-22-2016, 11:32 AM

This should not be considered a problem if he's proves to be worth it.

With this trade we're replacing a question mark at QB who has a tiny contract with a question mark at QB who has a large contract. I don't see why this would benefit the Bills at all.

It would also destroy our cap situation. Kaepernick's cap hit this year for us would be something like $14 million, and the Bills currently have enough space to sign their rookies with maybe a few million to spare. Where do we get the rest of the cap room? Who do we cut?

That turns this trade into the Bills giving up Tyrod + (multiple players worth about $10-$12 mil in cap savings) for Colin Kaepernick. No thanks.

Victor7
04-22-2016, 11:52 AM
Kaep's not that much better (if any) than TMobile while costing a whole lot more. I'd say no to that deal without hesitation.

With Kap you pretty much know what you get. MEdiocre, average (at best) play.

With TMobile there is still some hope he can take the next step.

sukie
04-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Nope.

Stop being such a tool. It's always like this with you... 'One thing leads to another" and you come up with a dillweed of a post like above. If a QB is figured out... 2 possibilities exist.

1. he is like Taylor and can't use the whole field

2. the OC blows at changing things up.

Now go complain to the the mods... you will be "saved by zero".

trapezeus
04-22-2016, 12:44 PM
if TT could be good, why would you rather have a DB than a top flight qb? not saying TT is good. I need to see it again given the difference between his $3MM contract and the $20MM+ he would get if determined to be good enough. but if he shows you that he should be the bills starter in 2017, at $25MM a year, he is a much better expense than $12-18MM on a db.

as for kaep, no one did enough to keep him. TT is the same risk at a much cheaper rate.

sukie
04-22-2016, 01:14 PM
If TT simply plays like last year... slight improvement... Still not worth 25 mil a year. He isn't a 25 mil a year talent by a long stretch

Buffalogic
04-22-2016, 02:22 PM
Kaep has 0 deep ball accuracy. 0 accuracy at all really. Taylor is a much better qb and he's not great. Kaep is not an NFL caliber qb. He's vince young 2.0.

swiper
04-22-2016, 03:53 PM
Stop being such a tool. It's always like this with you... 'One thing leads to another" and you come up with a dillweed of a post like above. If a QB is figured out... 2 possibilities exist.

1. he is like Taylor and can't use the whole field

2. the OC blows at changing things up.

Now go complain to the the mods... you will be "saved by zero".

If this post made any sense, I would respond to it. But...

Mr. Pink
04-22-2016, 04:43 PM
Kaep and Tyrod are pretty much the same exact player.

Difference is Kaep will be cheaper next year, so Kaep is the better choice in the long term.

Mace
04-22-2016, 04:59 PM

As Millsaps pointed out, that's with 40 players.

From the list of pending FA's in 2017 (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2017/buffalo-bills/) Glenn, Gilmore and Taylor are still about the only big money (figure over 5 mil/year) guys likely. Thing about those three too though, they won't eat up 45 million because of prorated signing bonuses.

Just imho, I think Kap and Harbaugh had a comfort zone and were perfect for each other, until Harbaugh overdid the passing game a bit in Roman's offense. Hard to blame Kap for Tomsula & his staff. Kap and Kelly might be a good fit.

It really does look like we should be in great cap shape next season, atm though.

Figster
04-23-2016, 07:27 AM
Kaep and Tyrod are pretty much the same exact player.

Difference is Kaep will be cheaper next year, so Kaep is the better choice in the long term.

Kaep has a cannon with zero touch, Taylor has excellent touch and less arm strength.

Kaep is a straight line runner, Taylor will juke you out of your cleats.

Add size differential and about the only similarity I can find is they both can run for big chunks of yardage when the opportunity presents itself and both play QB in the NFL.

Figster
04-23-2016, 08:00 AM
and while I do believe Kaep could use a fresh start and has potential, I've become a huge fan of T Mobile's and I've never seen a QB with a better skill set then yours truly,

Tyrod Taylor...

IlluminatusUIUC
04-23-2016, 10:41 AM
Kaep has a cannon with zero touch, Taylor has excellent touch and less arm strength.

Kaep is a straight line runner, Taylor will juke you out of your cleats.

Add size differential and about the only similarity I can find is they both can run for big chunks of yardage when the opportunity presents itself and both play QB in the NFL.

Yeah Kaep's durability is a big consideration.

sukie
04-24-2016, 06:13 AM
If this post made any sense, I would respond to it. But...

Just something to use Fixx references. Sheesh

Novacane
04-24-2016, 07:42 AM

That would be a bad thing?