PDA

View Full Version : Bills will not look for a franchise QB

justasportsfan
04-23-2016, 08:10 AM
You and I know it. They are going to keep plugging in a stop gap qb until Chad Kelly declares for the draft. Then we pull a Rams / Eagles move to get the no.1 pick.

YardRat
04-23-2016, 10:13 AM
I believe it.

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2016, 04:11 PM
I hope so. Kid is a clone of his uncle.

Mace
04-23-2016, 04:49 PM
I'm really dubious about Rams/Eagles style moves unless you do it as Titans/Browns.

On the other hand The Chad might well be in range of their normal pick anyway unless they do something stupid and trade it away this year to move up for a wide receiver or CB, which wouldn't surprise me much.

feldspar
04-23-2016, 04:53 PM
What wouldn't surprise me is if another team trades up in the draft for a QB this year. It's a crazy draft already, and it hasn't even started yet.

Mace
04-23-2016, 05:00 PM
What wouldn't surprise me is if another team trades up in the draft for a QB this year. It's a crazy draft already, and it hasn't even started yet.

Would be fine with me as long as it isn't us, more top end players will drop lower.

I think Titans/Browns should make out like bandits in this particular draft, and I think Rams/Eagles will be sorry in the long run if their guy isn't better than Luck out of the gate, which seems unlikely to me.

Goobylal
04-23-2016, 06:53 PM
I agree. They won't look for one. Because they already found him. ;)

BertSquirtgum
04-23-2016, 07:40 PM
I agree. They won't look for one. Because they already found him. ;)

Not yet. TT needs to make some serious strides this year to become a viable franchise qb. To this date I still haven't seen him go through progressions, read a defense before the snap, throw over the middle more than once or twice a game, if that. There's a reason this team was one of the worst for three and outs last year. It was Tyrod's inability to throw over the middle.

stuckincincy
04-23-2016, 07:42 PM
You and I know it. They are going to keep plugging in a stop gap qb until Chad Kelly declares for the draft. Then we pull a Rams / Eagles move to get the no.1 pick.

Who can say what's on their minds?

This is a bunch that dropped a bundle on Mario, and then executed the trade that got them Watkins...when they could have done the same loopy thing and picked Kalhil Mack instead.

The better order of things is to get yer QB first, then get yer receivers. :handball:

Goobylal
04-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Not yet. TT needs to make some serious strides this year to become a viable franchise qb. To this date I still haven't seen him go through progressions, read a defense before the snap, throw over the middle more than once or twice a game, if that. There's a reason this team was one of the worst for three and outs last year. It was Tyrod's inability to throw over the middle.

I was being facetious and I agree with everything you said. Although I don't know if he wasn't able to throw over the middle or was told not to do it. But I think they should put it on his shoulders this year and find out if he's the man or not.

Mace
04-23-2016, 08:41 PM
I was being facetious and I agree with everything you said. Although I don't know if he wasn't able to throw over the middle or was told not to do it. But I think they should put it on his shoulders this year and find out if he's the man or not.

I think they didn't call plays over the middle figuring he was limited, whether he was or not. But the same thing is going to happen this year, they are not a gunslinging passing offense with Wildcat Lee calling the passing game. They aren't looking for "The Man", they're looking for "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while."

SpikedLemonade
04-23-2016, 08:56 PM
I hope so. Kid is a clone of his uncle.

He is a drunk as well?

BertSquirtgum
04-24-2016, 02:33 AM
He is a drunk as well?

Indeed

Night Train
04-24-2016, 06:10 AM
They can't look for a franchise QB nor can anyone else after the 2nd pick Thursday.

There isn't one..

Goobylal
04-24-2016, 06:38 AM
I think they didn't call plays over the middle figuring he was limited, whether he was or not. But the same thing is going to happen this year, they are not a gunslinging passing offense with Wildcat Lee calling the passing game. They aren't looking for "The Man", they're looking for "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while."

I get not calling the plays last year because they thought he was inexperienced (although not necessarily limited). But this year they have a determination to make about whether to pay him $18M/year (at least), and being "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while" isn't good enough to justify that investment.

mdcas22
04-24-2016, 04:05 PM

im all for it if Chad has the kind of year this year as he did last. im like a few others and think we might not have to move up so much the way things are falling into place so far. I can't see where we have gained any ground on any teams in the afc east .

Night Train
04-24-2016, 07:27 PM
im all for it if Chad has the kind of year this year as he did last. im like a few others and think we might not have to move up so much the way things are falling into place so far. I can't see where we have gained any ground on any teams in the afc east .

While I understand that feeling, the other teams are generally way overrated by folks here and aren't nearly as good as we believe. A lot has to do with our own long term negative view of this team but the past means little. They went 8-8 with tons of key injuries and maybe that luck will balance itself out this year. Plus I never make predictions prior to a strong draft, in which the Bills could land some good starter types.

Mace
04-24-2016, 07:47 PM
I get not calling the plays last year because they thought he was inexperienced (although not necessarily limited). But this year they have a determination to make about whether to pay him $18M/year (at least), and being "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while" isn't good enough to justify that investment.

Agree about the plays over the middle, but there are a lot of QB's that have made a living as "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while". Is that worth 18 million a year ? I don't think so, but Taylor hasn't played a snap this season to judge his future value. If he becomes "The Man", great, but I can't say they won't think "just" a reliable starter with potential is worth their 18 million.

I'm not too sure what people expect to see from a potential 18 million dollar guy, especially in this offense, because it's still not a gunslinger's passing offense. You might want a Peyton Manning in his prime or a Tom Brady, so would I, but I think they want 16 games of 2015 Taylor stats because Taylor isn't either one of those guys. Might well be worth 18 million a year to them, we'll find out if he does it.

mdcas22
04-24-2016, 08:03 PM
While I understand that feeling, the other teams are generally way overrated by folks here and aren't nearly as good as we believe. A lot has to do with our own long term negative view of this team but the past means little. They went 8-8 with tons of key injuries and maybe that luck will balance itself out this year. Plus I never make predictions prior to a strong draft, in which the Bills could land some good starter types.

I'm looking at the fact that we lost 3 1st round picks in Mario Mckelvin and Harvin and even though Mario had a off year or tanked 2015 season we still have to replace them and some how upgrade the weak spots. no way duz a magic wand pass over Buffalo and the talent that was here minus those guys equal upgrade.

Goobylal
04-24-2016, 08:19 PM
Agree about the plays over the middle, but there are a lot of QB's that have made a living as "an ok dude who can be OK once in a while". Is that worth 18 million a year ? I don't think so, but Taylor hasn't played a snap this season to judge his future value. If he becomes "The Man", great, but I can't say they won't think "just" a reliable starter with potential is worth their 18 million.

I'm not too sure what people expect to see from a potential 18 million dollar guy, especially in this offense, because it's still not a gunslinger's passing offense. You might want a Peyton Manning in his prime or a Tom Brady, so would I, but I think they want 16 games of 2015 Taylor stats because Taylor isn't either one of those guys. Might well be worth 18 million a year to them, we'll find out if he does it.

The good thing is we'll get to see him play this/another season before committing (or not) big money, unlike the Texans and Osweiler. But I'm going to have to see more than what he showed last year. And to achieve that, I'd scrap the run-first offense, at least for the first quarter of the season, to see what he's got. If he can hack it, great. If not, go back to limiting him and run the ball more, and move on next season.

Goobylal
04-24-2016, 08:21 PM
I'm looking at the fact that we lost 3 1st round picks in Mario Mckelvin and Harvin and even though Mario had a off year or tanked 2015 season we still have to replace them and some how upgrade the weak spots. no way duz a magic wand pass over Buffalo and the talent that was here minus those guys equal upgrade.

McKelvin is reaching the end of his career and only played in 19 games the past 2 years, and Harvin only played in 5 games for the Bills. Not huge losses. As for Mario, his lack of effort was a drain on the team. He could be addition by subtraction.

Mace
04-24-2016, 08:32 PM
The good thing is we'll get to see him play this/another season before committing (or not) big money, unlike the Texans and Osweiler. But I'm going to have to see more than what he showed last year. And to achieve that, I'd scrap the run-first offense, at least for the first quarter of the season, to see what he's got. If he can hack it, great. If not, go back to limiting him and run the ball more, and move on next season.

Oh I agree, I just don't think it will happen that they'll scrap run-first after paying big for McCoy.

I want a guy who can play 16 games, win games with his arm and will whether or not he's composed and radiating calm, and use the middle of the field and that's my ideal 18 million. I want to think that's their ideal 18 million. Just have no clue if it is. Their ideal 18 million might be a good handoff guy and game manager that can pull one out once in a while with his arm while minimizing mistakes, radiating calm in the huddle.

If he isn't either, won't bother me to move along, I still think he'll unfortunately get hurt anyway. and we'll have to. That's the biggest thing to me, can he not get hurt while growing.

stuckincincy
04-24-2016, 08:33 PM

Good points. With those losses plus the talk about emphasizing a 3 -4 defensive set, I'd think that a big-sized DE has to be in their plans. I'm not quite clear why some folks feel that Dareus can't fill the NT role.

LBs are in the mix, too.

And the never-ending (sigh) hunt for OLs...

trapezeus
04-25-2016, 07:40 AM
RR may epically suck and the pegulas may have to part ways with him sooner than expected. If the bills could be 3-13 this year, they may get the qb of their choice, and a GM/coach tandem that work together well. But this all factors into account that russ Brandon stops being completely involved in the make up of the team. seeing that he's got a job for life, I suspect we'll go 9-7, promise that next year is the year it gets better, and fire the kicking coach.

justasportsfan
04-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Like Polian said, stop gap ........til Chad gets here