PDA

View Full Version : B/R Rumor: Bills and Jets Interested in QB Paxton Lynch, Exploring Trade Up Options

DraftBoy
04-26-2016, 08:13 AM
It's a video on Bleacher Report from NFL Insider Jason Cole.

Bills looking to possibly move up and get Lynch. Cole says they would likely need to get into the high teens, but with Goff and Wentz going 1 and 2 they may need to get into the Top 10.

Browns are also interested.

Joe Fo Sho
04-26-2016, 08:19 AM
I'm not against drafting a QB high this year, but I'm wary of trading up to get one depending on what it would take. If it's something like a 3rd or 4th to move up a couple of spots, I'd probably be fine with it, but I don't want to give up a 1st next year. If another team wants to give up that much, I'd say let them. We certainly have other needs to fill.

Dr. Who
04-26-2016, 08:20 AM
Well, I like this idea, but my track record predicting NFL success is not good, so there's that.
If the Bills trade up to get Lynch, I can imagine the rage of discontented Bills' fans might break the internet.

Dr. Who
04-26-2016, 08:24 AM
I'm not against drafting a QB high this year, but I'm wary of trading up to get one depending on what it would take. If it's something like a 3rd or 4th to move up a couple of spots, I'd probably be fine with it, but I don't want to give up a 1st next year. If another team wants to give up that much, I'd say let them. We certainly have other needs to fill.

I can't imagine they would make a trade costing next years' one. I am good with going after this guy, though. I do wish his Wonderlic wasn't wooden post low.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a video on Bleacher Report from NFL Insider Jason Cole.

Bills looking to possibly move up and get Lynch. Cole says they would likely need to get into the high teens, but with Goff and Wentz going 1 and 2 they may need to get into the Top 10.

Browns are also interested.

If the Browns are also interested, maybe they just take him at #8?

Topas
04-26-2016, 08:36 AM
Using a pick higher than the 19th on Lynch !?!?!
I dont like him at 19th. But spending even more?

Night Train
04-26-2016, 08:40 AM
God I hope that's a ploy to get someone else to bite.

Lynch choked against good teams. To pick him over a top Front 7 player or OT would be stupid. He's not even worth #19. There are so many better football players than him that will be picked in the first 2-3 rounds.

Victor7
04-26-2016, 09:13 AM
Wasn't his fan before and now that he bombed the wonderlic I'm even less of a fan.

trapezeus
04-26-2016, 09:40 AM
what is the bills outlook? are they trying to make the playoffs or build long term? If they don't address defense constantly, then they are kind of off the playoffs or bust mentality.

if they take the qb, I won't be ragingly upset, but I don't think the long term qb solution is in this class. we should get 6 quality players and possible chances to get more picks by moving down if it presents itself. that is the right decision long term. perhapsthey are just doing this to work Denver into trading with them to acquire more pics.

EDS
04-26-2016, 10:05 AM
I seriously doubt the Bills would trade up in this draft for a QB.

Ed
04-26-2016, 10:13 AM
Hopefully they know the Jets are interested in Lynch and are just trying to drive up the cost for them. It would make sense for the Browns to have interest and use their 8th pick. They have a bunch of extra picks now to address other needs and keep building. So that would mean moving up to #7, which is a big jump from #19 or 20. The Bills would have to give up so much to take a pretty questionable qb. That just sounds like a terrible idea for a team that's not desperate for a qb.

Mr. Miyagi
04-26-2016, 10:36 AM
The Browns will take him at #8, only if San Fran doesn't take him at #7. It doesn't mean he's that good, but QBs are always at a premium.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2016, 10:55 AM
Cleveland won't be taking Lynch.

I fully expect them to trade down...again.

DraftBoy
04-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Cleveland won't be taking Lynch.

I fully expect them to trade down...again.

Cole alluded to the same thing, the Browns like him but not at 8.

Mr. Pink
04-26-2016, 11:02 AM
Cole alluded to the same thing, the Browns like him but not at 8.

What I've seen is that they might entertain the thought of trading their pick in the second round to move up into the mid 20s to take him if he's still available. I doubt he will be.

Bill Cody
04-26-2016, 12:32 PM
Lynch is a project. I'm intrigued but no way I'd be in favor of trading up to get him. If he's there at 19 fine.

Bill Cody
04-26-2016, 12:38 PM

Lynch choked against good teams. To pick him over a top Front 7 player or OT would be stupid. He's not even worth #19. There are so many better football players than him that will be picked in the first 2-3 rounds.

He's no better than a 50/50 chance of being good. If he was a sure thing he'd be at the top of the draft. Even the top 2 are far from locks to be good but they are more polished than Lynch. QB is different than any other position, far more important, far harder to nail a really good one. I doubt in the end Lynch is a Bill.

bleve
04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Wasn't his fan before and now that he bombed the wonderlic I'm even less of a fan.

To be fair, Jim Kelly, and Dan Marino both got 15.

Blaine Gabbert got a 42, Brian Brohm - a 33, and Fitzy got a 48.

I wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Saratoga Slim
04-26-2016, 02:03 PM
We already have a big QB with a big arm that can't make it past his first read.

I haven't exactly studied his tape, but Lynch at 19 would not excite me.

swiper
04-26-2016, 02:41 PM
He's really second round quality player at best. It's amazing how QB is being overdrafted.

YardRat
04-26-2016, 03:08 PM
Please don't trade up to get this guy. Cleveland can ass-rape the Jets all they want to swap picks, the bigger the deal the better.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-26-2016, 03:08 PM
He's really second round quality player at best. It's amazing how QB is being overdrafted.

no doubt man. and because of the pussification of the game with the rules that you can't touch anybody, it's no wonder that this s*** is happening

Mace
04-26-2016, 04:30 PM

The Train kept a rolling. An order of Yes, with some Yes on the side, and a cup of Yes to go with it.

My aura would be radically disharmonized should something like this happen.

Ingtar33
04-26-2016, 05:14 PM
Lynch is a project. I'm intrigued but no way I'd be in favor of trading up to get him. If he's there at 19 fine.

I'm with you on this. If he's there at 19 and other players at positions of need aren't (Kelly for example) then take him, but trade up for him? he might be the only QB who slightly interests me in this draft, but that doesn't mean I think he's worth trading up for. Hell, I barely can stomach the idea of taking him in round one.

DraftBoy
04-26-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm with you on this. If he's there at 19 and other players at positions of need aren't (Kelly for example) then take him, but trade up for him? he might be the only QB who slightly interests me in this draft, but that doesn't mean I think he's worth trading up for. Hell, I barely can stomach the idea of taking him in round one.

I'd rather look at Cook/Hackenberg in Round 2 or 3 instead of moving up for Lynch.

Also I do think that taking a guy like Brissett early in Day 3 could be intriguing.

Ingtar33
04-26-2016, 05:56 PM
I'd rather look at Cook/Hackenberg in Round 2 or 3 instead of moving up for Lynch.

Also I do think that taking a guy like Brissett early in Day 3 could be intriguing.

I'd almost want the kid from ohio state (Jones) when you start to drift into round 3 or 4.

Scumbag College
04-26-2016, 07:34 PM
Wait a second...

So the Bills have a decent starting QB this year, but are going to sell the farm to draft a kid who will probably be second string this year that would be the third QB picked whom the jury is still out on? When they have a:

Starting RT with Crohn's Disease. ****ing Crohn's Disease!!!!

A #2 WR coming off groin surgery that is in his last contract year and practically every other WR on the roster was a street free agent at some point last year.

Lost a starting former pro bowl DE in free agency and have a 30+ starting DT coming off a season ending knee injury.

Lost a starting LB and have almost no depth at the position.

Have a Safety that broke his neck last year and we are depending on him to come back 100% and be a starter.

So we are going to trade multiple picks this year? And probably a first round pick next year, which would make 2 out of 4 drafts without a first round pick...

For a guy that really no one is sold on and will be a third QB selected in a draft without a sure thing QB? Who will in all likelihood lose a starting QB competition to Tyrod. With huge glaring needs on this team?

Please tell me this isn't going to happen.

stuckincincy
04-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Wait a second...
So the Bills have a decent starting QB this year, but are going to sell the farm to draft a kid who will probably be second string this year that would be the third QB picked whom the jury is still out on? When they have a:
Starting RT with Crohn's Disease. ****ing Crohn's Disease!!!!
A #2 WR coming off groin surgery that is in his last contract year and practically every other WR on the roster was a street free agent at some point last year.
Lost a starting former pro bowl DE in free agency and have a 30+ starting DT coming off a season ending knee injury.
Lost a starting LB and have almost no depth at the position.
Have a Safety that broke his neck last year and we are depending on him to come back 100% and be a starter.

So we are going to trade multiple picks this year? And probably a first round pick next year, which would make 2 out of 4 drafts without a first round pick...
For a guy that really no one is sold on and will be a third QB selected in a draft without a sure thing QB? Who will in all likelihood lose a starting QB competition to Tyrod. With huge glaring needs on this team?

Please tell me this isn't going to happen.

Stay tuned!

The above is why my traditional draft day menu is a bag of chips and a can of squirt cheese - it captures the moment! :jig:

Scumbag College
04-26-2016, 07:53 PM
Stay tuned!

The above is why my traditional draft day menu is a bag of chips and a can of squirt cheese - it captures the moment! :jig:

I'll be fighting San Diego traffic driving home Thursday night listening to the first few picks on Sirius in the car, hoping and praying that I don't hear the Bills mentioned until after the #18 pick.

There is no player worth moving up for in the draft for the Bills.

stuckincincy
04-26-2016, 08:04 PM
I'll be fighting San Diego traffic driving home Thursday night listening to the first few picks on Sirius in the car, hoping and praying that I don't hear the Bills mentioned until after the #18 pick.

There is no player worth moving up for in the draft for the Bills.

Agreed - none at all. This is a fat DT draft...and the way the rules are written to favor the QB and the WRs, interior pressure is the big thing.

stuckincincy
04-26-2016, 08:32 PM
A fun situation would be for Lynch to still be on the board when BUF's #19 pick rolls around, and the Jets try to work out a deal.

Scumbag College
04-26-2016, 08:46 PM
A fun situation would be for Lynch to still be on the board when BUF's #19 pick rolls around, and the Jets try to work out a deal.

I'd try and bluff them and make them give up a 3rd to move up one spot, having Whaley tell them how much they love Lynch but will cut them an I-90 to I-87 to Major Deegan friendly favor.

However, I don't know how I could go through life though if that trade went through and Lynch turned into Aaron Rodgers while the Bills drafted TJ Graham Jr., Trent Edwards 2.0, or The Ghost of Tim Anderson with that extra third round pick.

stuckincincy
04-26-2016, 09:10 PM
I'd try and bluff them and make them give up a 3rd to move up one spot, having Whaley tell them how much they love Lynch but will cut them an I-90 to I-87 to Major Deegan friendly favor.

However, I don't know how I could go through life though if that trade went through and Lynch turned into Aaron Rodgers while the Bills drafted TJ Graham Jr., Trent Edwards 2.0, or The Ghost of Tim Anderson with that extra third round pick.

Some might disagree, but I find the Bills' mgt. is pretty good at telegraphing their draft intentions. I'm not sure they are capable of not spilling the beans prematurely. :birds:

Jeff1220
04-26-2016, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying they don't like Lynch, or even that they wouldn't draft him at 19 if he's there, but this moving up nonsense has to be a ploy. They know the Jets are interested and in a pretty desperate QB situation. Please be a ploy 🙏

Scumbag College
04-26-2016, 10:53 PM
I'm not saying they don't like Lynch, or even that they wouldn't draft him at 19 if he's there, but this moving up nonsense has to be a ploy. They know the Jets are interested and in a pretty desperate QB situation. Please be a ploy ��

I'm hoping that you are right. Like when you bluff in poker a little bit to draw a bigger bluff out of someone and cause havoc on a table.

Pick Conklin if he's there at #19 and hopefully solve our decade old OL problem, or add the best NT around and get one of the best Front 7's again. Even if they move back to the mid twenties or even further back and getting an extra 2nd or 3rd, that'd be great. I have to think that if Lynch falls to #19 a team that wants to move ahead of the Jets (I can't see them passing on a Lynch or maybe even reaching for Cook, Hackenburg or whomever at #20) that the Bills' pick there would be very desirable to Denver or another QB starved team. Dicking around with moving up and getting a potentially ****bird doesn't help us out at all.

swiper
04-27-2016, 04:00 AM

Chris Palmer was one of Greg Roman's mentors. His opinion has a lot of pull at OBD supposedly.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/551824701161353217/DD00Oue4_normal.jpegTyler Dunne
✔ ‎@TyDunne (https://twitter.com/TyDunne)

One draft nugget. Can't see Paxton Lynch falling to No. 19, but one source says #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) senior offensive assistant Chris Palmer "loves him."

The Jokeman
04-27-2016, 06:44 AM

Moving up is a bad idea, while I wouldn't mind taking Lynch if he fell to 19 but trading up and using other picks to do so is costly as we don't just lack a QB now.

BuffaloRedleg
04-27-2016, 09:07 AM
I think the Bills are just gaming it so that the Jets panic and trade up.

stuckincincy
04-27-2016, 11:15 AM
More Lynch stuff:

Why NFL GMs are dying to know where Paxton Lynch gets picked
April 27, 2016 1:14 pm ET Jason La Canfora CBS Sports NFL Insider

..."The Bills, picking 18th overall, are another potential landing spot. They have made no effort to extend Tyrod Taylor, who has just one year of starting experience and one year left on a budget contract. They too have done extensive work on quarterbacks in this draft and they have spent time with Lynch as well. When Lynch was back on campus for his pro day, he had lunch with Saints quarterback coach Joe Lombardi and dinner with Bills coordinator Greg Roman and QB coach Chris Palmer. Perhaps Buffalo's immediate needs for a pass rusher trump taking a quarterback this high, but it would hardly be a surprise to see Lynch's name called here."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25568625/why-the-whole-nfl-is-dying-to-know-where-paxton-lynch-gets-picked

DraftBoy
04-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Ummm...Bills don't pick 18th last time I checked...

stuckincincy
04-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Ummm...Bills don't pick 18th last time I checked...

Insightful comment.

justasportsfan
04-27-2016, 11:36 AM
I don't think Whaley would draft a project in the 1st rd. even though he has all the physical tools .
Oh wait. My bad