PDA

View Full Version : A.J. Hawk released by Bengals: Any interest?

Ed
04-26-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't know if AJ Hawk has anything left at 32, but would he be a good fit here? I like Zach Brown better at this point, but maybe Hawk could be a depth/role player.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15386344/cincinnati-bengals-release-veteran-linebacker-aj-hawk

Night Train
04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
I would bring him in for sure. All effort guy.

He defines an ILB who can stop the run. Can cover in limited areas. Rotational,depth need. Tons of experience.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-26-2016, 11:26 AM
He's not very good but he's at least a vet presence without Brandon Spikes' baggage

Victor7
04-26-2016, 11:29 AM
If the price is right he's certainly worth looking at.

Our LB depth is soooooo miserable just about anyone is worthy at this point. Hawk has lots of miles, we need experience.

OpIv37
04-26-2016, 11:36 AM
Do we even have the cap space? At this point I think he'd have to pay us to play here.

Ed
04-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Do we even have the cap space? At this point I think he'd have to pay us to play here.
His contract with the Bengals was only $3.2 mil for 2 years, which is pretty cheap. I'm assuming he'd have to take even a little less at this point. I think the Bills have about $5.8 mil in cap space right now.

OpIv37
04-26-2016, 11:42 AM
His contract with the Bengals was only $3.2 mil for 2 years, which is pretty cheap. I'm assuming he'd have to take even a little less at this point. I think the Bills have about $5.8 mil in cap space right now.

Does that count what we need to reserve for rookies?

Ed
04-26-2016, 11:45 AM
Does that count what we need to reserve for rookies?
I think they need about $3.5-4 mil for rookies, so they'd have to make some other moves if they want to go into the season with some cap space. I'm assuming Wynn will get release at some point, which would save $1 mil, and new deals for Glenn and Gilmore should provide some more space.

stuckincincy
04-26-2016, 12:04 PM
CIN lost LB Emmanuel Lamur to FA and Burfict starts the season on suspension. That they released Hawk doen't speak well for him.

Pinkerton Security
04-26-2016, 01:05 PM
He has never lived up to his draft status - always solid though. Not sure if we could afford him anyways

jimmifli
04-26-2016, 01:58 PM
Can he looked confused in coverage and run a few yards behind receivers?

Mr. Pink
04-26-2016, 02:59 PM
CIN lost LB Emmanuel Lamur to FA and Burfict starts the season on suspension. That they released Hawk doen't speak well for him.

The fact he's been borderline average at best as an NFL player doesn't speak well for him.

kscdogbillsfan1221
04-26-2016, 03:06 PM
remember when they were drafted that Paul Posluzny (spelling i know) was referred to as a 'poor man's aj hawk'

giant fail times 2

Mace
04-26-2016, 04:20 PM
I think they need about $3.5-4 mil for rookies, so they'd have to make some other moves if they want to go into the season with some cap space. I'm assuming Wynn will get release at some point, which would save $1 mil, and new deals for Glenn and Gilmore should provide some more space.

Pool atm is estimated at 5.8 million with the comp picks, top 51 + draft pool leaves us available cap space at the moment of just $402,181.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

ublinkwescore
04-27-2016, 05:18 AM
Nick Barnett v 2.0?

X-Era
04-27-2016, 09:04 AM
Don't forget that the 51st highest cap hit drops off if you sign someone above that value...only top 51 count against the cap.

So if you have 400k+ in cap room and sign Hawk to a 1 mill deal it still fits under the cap because the 51st highest cap hit player of 600k drops off.

Ed
04-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Pool atm is estimated at 5.8 million with the comp picks, top 51 + draft pool leaves us available cap space at the moment of just $402,181.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/
If you scroll down to the projected draft pool cap hits you'll see that all of the picks in rounds 4 and later have cap hits of less than $600k. The top 53 currently make at least $600k, so signing anyone for less than that doesn't take up any cap space. If those rookies make the team, which they probably will, they'll have to replace someone with a higher cap hit. That means no net loss of cap space. So while $5.8 mil is the estimated cap hit to sign all the rookies, you can't add them to the 53 without also removing salaries/cap hits.

X-Era
04-27-2016, 09:16 AM
If you scroll down to the projected draft pool cap hits you'll see that all of the picks in rounds 4 and later have cap hits of less than $600k. The top 53 currently make at least $600k, so signing anyone for less than that doesn't take up any cap space. If those rookies make the team, which they probably will, they'll have to replace someone with a higher cap hit. That means no net loss of cap space. So while $5.8 mil is the estimated cap hit to sign all the rookies, you can't add them to the 53 without also removing salaries/cap hits.:up:

Mace
04-27-2016, 05:46 PM
If you scroll down to the projected draft pool cap hits you'll see that all of the picks in rounds 4 and later have cap hits of less than $600k. The top 53 currently make at least $600k, so signing anyone for less than that doesn't take up any cap space. If those rookies make the team, which they probably will, they'll have to replace someone with a higher cap hit. That means no net loss of cap space. So while $5.8 mil is the estimated cap hit to sign all the rookies, you can't add them to the 53 without also removing salaries/cap hits.

Don't forget that the 51st highest cap hit drops off if you sign someone above that value...only top 51 count against the cap.

So if you have 400k+ in cap room and sign Hawk to a 1 mill deal it still fits under the cap because the 51st highest cap hit player of 600k drops off.

Ok gentlemen, the light finally went on. Thank you thank you.