PDA

View Full Version : Trade up in the 2nd

X-Era
04-29-2016, 07:02 AM
Get Myles Jack.

Rumor is the Bills thought hard about him at 19. Hit the second home run and move up to get him. The issue is the health of that knee. Only the Bills medical staff knows what the true deal is with it. But, if they were actually debating him at 19 it means they feel solid about him playing.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/laremy-tunsil-nfl-draft-paxton-lynch-ezekiel-elliott-jalen-ramsey-joey-bosa-nkemdiche-042916

Give up the 2nd 4th rounder to move up 12 or so spots in the 2nd.

Landing Lawson and Jack makes this team unbelievably better. And that extra 4th doesn't compare.

Night Train
04-29-2016, 07:07 AM
In a deep draft with tons of top talent still showing, why gamble on a massive medical question mark ? " My precious ! "

Plus trading up for him is beyond dumb.

MillsapsBillsFan
04-29-2016, 07:08 AM
You really have to be sure that that knee is good to go though. Theres a strong chance he could be the first pick of this round though so im not sure what the actual price for us to move up would be, may cost more than a 4th.

Not against it at all, Jack would be a steal on Day 2 but gotta make sure the cost is consistent with the risk

Historian
04-29-2016, 07:12 AM
Too much talent in this draft to take those kind of risks IMO

The Jokeman
04-29-2016, 07:19 AM
Get Myles Jack.

Rumor is the Bills thought hard about him at 19. Hit the second home run and move up to get him. The issue is the health of that knee. Only the Bills medical staff knows what the true deal is with it. But, if they were actually debating him at 19 it means they feel solid about him playing.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/laremy-tunsil-nfl-draft-paxton-lynch-ezekiel-elliott-jalen-ramsey-joey-bosa-nkemdiche-042916

Give up the 2nd 4th rounder to move up 12 or so spots in the 2nd.

Landing Lawson and Jack makes this team unbelievably better. And that extra 4th doesn't compare.
If the microfacture surgery indeed needed then his 2016 season is already done and he likely be less than 100% next year. I can't see moving up to take that risk.

DraftBoy
04-29-2016, 07:36 AM
I'd be ok with the move, though I'd rather send picks from next years draft then this.

X-Era
04-29-2016, 08:05 AM
If the microfacture surgery indeed needed then his 2016 season is already done and he likely be less than 100% next year. I can't see moving up to take that risk.
The move is weighted heavily on his knee situation. If the Bills feel he can play for 3 or 4 years until he needs surgery and at the level that he played in college they should do it.

You're talking about one of the very best players in the draft when healthy. Every pick is a risk. There is no way to truly know whether any of these guys will be good. And the entire draft is about risk management. The risk is mitigated by what the Bills doctors know. We unfortunately do not have the inside scoop on that.

As I said, the risk vs. reward for the Bills is huge. He plays a need position and is one of the best in the draft. If he plays at the same level as in college you are getting a major steal. If his knee won't last for more than a few years you are taking a huge risk and are in win now mode.

Many players have successfully had micro-fracture surgery. Players get injured all the time. Is a guy needing surgery in his first 3 seasons that atypical? In today's injury prone NFL?

It's high risk but potentially high reward. I'd do it.

Scumbag College
04-29-2016, 08:09 AM
We'd be moving up almost 20 spots to #32 to get him...I don't think we do that without giving up our 2nd, 3rd, and first 4th.

If he slips to late 30's or early 40's maybe we just give up a 4th.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2016, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't draft Jack in any round, let alone trade up for him.

He's gonna play at best 3 seasons, pretty much by his own admission.

Mahdi
04-29-2016, 08:25 AM
With all the DBs that went day one a lot of DL talent has been left on the board.

Just sit back and wait for a good player at our spot.

IlluminatusUIUC
04-29-2016, 09:06 AM
I'd make the move for Jack. If his knee works out he could be a superstar.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2016, 09:37 AM
I would gamble on Jack before I'd gamble on a QB in round 2.

What are the odds he falls all the way and they don't have to move up??

X-Era
04-29-2016, 09:43 AM
I would gamble on Jack before I'd gamble on a QB in round 2.

What are the odds he falls all the way and they don't have to move up??
There's just too many teams that could use a LB like Jack in front of us.

Again, it all hinges on how bad teams feel the knee situation is and we have no insight into the real truth there.

But I think it's highly unlikely that he falls to 49. I'd love it if that happened. I just hope they see the depth of the this draft and how great players are falling... I hope they realize that they can afford a move up and still get solid prospects who could start day one after the 2nd, 3rd, or maybe even 4th rounds.

Ed
04-29-2016, 09:51 AM
I think I'd rather use a 4th round pick on Jaylon Smith than trade up for Jack, unless the cost is pretty minimal. I'm also not a fan of trading any of this years picks.

The Jokeman
04-29-2016, 10:04 AM
The move is weighted heavily on his knee situation. If the Bills feel he can play for 3 or 4 years until he needs surgery and at the level that he played in college they should do it.

You're talking about one of the very best players in the draft when healthy. Every pick is a risk. There is no way to truly know whether any of these guys will be good. And the entire draft is about risk management. The risk is mitigated by what the Bills doctors know. We unfortunately do not have the inside scoop on that.

As I said, the risk vs. reward for the Bills is huge. He plays a need position and is one of the best in the draft. If he plays at the same level as in college you are getting a major steal. If his knee won't last for more than a few years you are taking a huge risk and are in win now mode.

Many players have successfully had micro-fracture surgery. Players get injured all the time. Is a guy needing surgery in his first 3 seasons that atypical? In today's injury prone NFL?

It's high risk but potentially high reward. I'd do it.
I guess I don't value LBs as much as to me they are similar to RBs in that they can be found/made later in the draft.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2016, 10:18 AM
I would guess if they wanted to move up, it would cost what, a 5th round pick?? 4th at the absolute most?

DraftBoy
04-29-2016, 10:19 AM
I would guess if they wanted to move up, it would cost what, a 5th round pick?? 4th at the absolute most?

Depends on how many slots. Moving up to the top of tonight's draft would cost two picks more than likely.

Forward_Lateral
04-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Depends on how many slots. Moving up to the top of tonight's draft would cost two picks more than likely.

How far would you think they'd have to move to get Jack??

Dr. Who
04-29-2016, 10:23 AM
I'd make the move for Jack. If his knee works out he could be a superstar.

I am generally risk averse. I would be more comfortable taking the best DL that falls to #49.
If they make the move, however, I will be excited about it and hoping it works out.

Mace
04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Too many good players still out there, I wouldn't trade up for anyone. If they want to aim for the fences with Jack or Jaylon, they can wait until their turn without giving away picks they can still be using on the field if either one of the olbs turns into a swing and a miss.

trapezeus
04-29-2016, 10:39 AM
I think his free fall is not stopping anytime soon. if he is there when the bills pick, I wouldn't be upset at taking him. give rex his weapons. if we are debating about him being able to play 2-3 years from now, that's a much smaller risk than not being read to play right now or this season. I also think LB is a difference making position. we saw LBs in over their head with the calls this year and the d struggled. you get a baller and you totally take away the middle of the field on the run and crossing routes.

X-Era
04-29-2016, 10:45 AM
I think his free fall is not stopping anytime soon. if he is there when the bills pick, I wouldn't be upset at taking him. give rex his weapons. if we are debating about him being able to play 2-3 years from now, that's a much smaller risk than not being read to play right now or this season. I also think LB is a difference making position. we saw LBs in over their head with the calls this year and the d struggled. you get a baller and you totally take away the middle of the field on the run and crossing routes.
It's very possible that he free falls. But, I gotta think teams will see his upside as worth the risk very soon.

Bill Cody
04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
This team needs more picks not less

X-Era
04-29-2016, 01:09 PM
Schefter is now saying Dr. Andrews says he will not need microfracture surgery.

If that's true he's gone very early tonight. It will take a move up for sure.

DraftBoy
04-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Schefter is now saying Dr. Andrews says he will not need microfracture surgery.

If that's true he's gone very early tonight. It will take a move up for sure.

Yes but what Dr. Andrews didn't say was if he doesn't need it now, or if we won't need it in the future. His statement was carefully worded for a reason.

X-Era
04-29-2016, 01:14 PM
Dallas moves to 32, Cleveland moves to 34.

We move to 34 to get Jack.

If... and ONLY if... the reports that no microfracture surgery are necessary I'd give up a 2nd and 3rd next year. He's THAT good if you're not concerned about his knee

swiper
04-29-2016, 04:09 PM
Take Billings! Forget Jack and QBs in round 2.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2016, 04:26 PM
The story wasn't that Jack needed microfracture this offseason, the story was that he would need it within the next few years.

Jack himself stated, “[The degenerative problems are] there, but it’s nothing extreme,” Jack said at an NFL event for prospects at Grant Park. “Down the line, possibly I could have microfracture surgery — potentially. Who knows what will happen?

“Nobody knows how long anybody is going to play in this league. To play three years in this league would be above average.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/myles-jack-risks-millions-with-grim-confession-about-his-knee/

Mike
04-29-2016, 04:51 PM
The story wasn't that Jack needed microfracture this offseason, the story was that he would need it within the next few years.

Jack himself stated, “[The degenerative problems are] there, but it’s nothing extreme,” Jack said at an NFL event for prospects at Grant Park. “Down the line, possibly I could have microfracture surgery — potentially. Who knows what will happen?

“Nobody knows how long anybody is going to play in this league. To play three years in this league would be above average.”

http://nypost.com/2016/04/27/myles-jack-risks-millions-with-grim-confession-about-his-knee/

So he might have a few very good seasons before needing surgery?

Its not a bad move to have a top LB at cheap rate for a handful of years. Most players are out of the league within 3 years and produce very little while in the meantime.