PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Williams Highlights

BillsImpossible
04-30-2016, 12:40 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/X4TjJEBjYa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BillsImpossible
04-30-2016, 01:26 PM
Only reason why he lasted until the 5th round was because he missed the entire 2015 season after he underwent successful foot surgery.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13450633/jonathan-williams-arkansas-razorbacks-needs-surgery-injured-left-foot

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jonathan-williams-2.html

Very talented running back, with very low mileage on his body.

6'0 224 lbs, could be the surprise pick of the entire NFL draft.

Buddo
04-30-2016, 02:09 PM
Only reason why he lasted until the 5th round was because he missed the entire 2015 season after he underwent successful foot surgery.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13450633/jonathan-williams-arkansas-razorbacks-needs-surgery-injured-left-foot

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jonathan-williams-2.html

Very talented running back, with very low mileage on his body.

6'0 224 lbs, could be the surprise pick of the entire NFL draft.

After watching the highlights, you could well be right. Looks to have good balance, and isn't afraid of contact, with decent power, yet still has some 'moves'. Also looked to me as though his vision was pretty decent, as a couple of times when he changed direction completely, he immediately headed off to where there was a gap. Seemed to have decent hands too, although there wasn't much to go on, but you can normally tell if catching comes naturally, on a relatively small sample size.

Unlike others, I've felt all along we needed to add another RB, due to the nature of how heavy a running team we are, and the fact that Karlos has a history with concussions. I like Gilleslee, but this kid could be a very nice compliment to the group. Style wise, you sort of now have Shady and Karlos, with Gilleslee and Jonathon Williams, their respective backups. Quite possibly a very strong group overall - although the jury is obviously out on J Will for the time being.

As with pretty much all of our picks so far, 'value' shouldn't be an issue, the only real arguments being personal preference and position.

YardRat
04-30-2016, 02:15 PM
You don't solve injury issues at RB by over-loading the position on the roster. Having said that they'll probably keep 4 active and JW could sit awhile in the wings on the PS.

jimmifli
04-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Glad to see we're restocking the Williams fridge.

BillsImpossible
04-30-2016, 02:32 PM
You don't solve injury issues at RB by over-loading the position on the roster. Having said that they'll probably keep 4 active and JW could sit awhile in the wings on the PS.

Thurman Thomas just came out and said a lot of things about concussions in the NFL. It gave Rex Ryan a new idea.

No more 20 carries or more per game for a running back. Keep a stable of horses instead of 1 horse, the Bills are going to use multiple backs this season.

10-15 carries per game at most per running back.

Ch ch ch changes, turn and face the strange.

k-oneputt
04-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Smart ... very smart. .I thought we where over this.

jimmifli
04-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Clemson, Bama, Williams... Just need an FSU player for a BINGO.

Mace
04-30-2016, 06:30 PM
Can get rb's as udfa. Ridiculous pick imho.

Night Train
04-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Phil Savage (ex-GM and head scout, now President of the Senior Bowl) called him the #1 sleeper pick in the draft.

I'll take his opinion over the utterly clueless.

Mace
04-30-2016, 06:47 PM
Phil Savage (ex-GM and head scout, now President of the Senior Bowl) called him the #1 sleeper pick in the draft.

I'll take his opinion over the utterly clueless.

So what if he is though behind McCoy and Karlos ?

On Savage, not too sure his recent history with Cleveland and Philly is too sharp, no offense.

Turf
04-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Reminds me of a young Fred Jackson. We had 5 injured RB's last year at the beginning of the season. Carlos has had multiple concussions and injuries and quite frankly won't be in the NFL for long. We hired RB's off the street to play. I don't have a problem with this pick.

Mace
04-30-2016, 07:54 PM
Reminds me of a young Fred Jackson. We had 5 injured RB's last year at the beginning of the season. Carlos has had multiple concussions and injuries and quite frankly won't be in the NFL for long. We hired RB's off the street to play. I don't have a problem with this pick.

I guess the thing about that that bothers me though, is that Dallas signed Darren McFadden as an FA to replace DeMarco Murray at bargain basement price. McFadden, behind that OL, rolled it up better than McCoy, or Murray who was not running behind that line. Seattle had udfa Thomas Rawls (65 yards behind McCoy) and sitting behind Marshawn Lynch roll it up behind their line. There are backs there, you have to pay attention and find them then plop them behind a line that can elevate them if your line is all that because you built it well. Getting Boom Herron and trying to launch him behind Seantrel Henderson or Jordan Mills isn't really the same thing.

Is the comparison Johnny White 2011 5th round ?

Dunno. I think they really need to pay better attention to available running backs and give them a better line to run behind. If you can't that's a different problem that won't go away with a draft pick.

CoolBreeze
05-01-2016, 05:52 AM
Jonathon Williams is the 2nd best RB on the team now..
Can get rb's as udfa. Ridiculous pick imho.

YardRat
05-01-2016, 06:15 AM
The good---runs a little bit like Thurman, though not quite as compact.
The bad---he's going to have fumbling issues at the pro level if he doesn't learn how to secure the ball better.

trapezeus
05-01-2016, 07:15 AM
He gets to the lane fast. If Felton or gronk put it together as fb's eilliams seems to get to second level fast.

I also think with shady getting some injuries and karlos with what seemed like a significant concussion last year, we needed an rb

gillislee and karlos had success getting into a lane fast. Shady had loss of yard plays as he danced around.

BillsImpossible
05-01-2016, 09:32 AM
The good---runs a little bit like Thurman, though not quite as compact.

I noticed the same thing with his running style. He is a little bigger than Thurman, but their running styles are similar.

As trapezeus said below, he gets to the lane fast and doesn't dance around.

MillsapsBillsFan
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
I understand RB's can be had late, but we weren't passing over starters in the 5th round to get him. He was the BPA if there are injury problems he can contribute we don't want to get to the situation we had late last year.

No problems with this pick, probably goes into camp as the 3rd or 4th RB and we'll see what happens from there.

trapezeus
05-02-2016, 10:04 AM
you probably need to bring a rb in every year just with how brutal the position is.

DraftBoy
05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
His vision is nice, and he has quick feet.

However, if he doesn't learn to carry that ball high and tight he's going to have some serious fumble issues in the NFL.

sahlensguy
05-02-2016, 10:08 AM
you probably need to bring a rb in every year just with how brutal the position is.

Is prefer bringing in more new OLs than new RBs, or at least equal to.

DraftBoy
05-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Is prefer bringing in more new OLs than new RBs, or at least equal to.

You can get a good OL who can be a starter for 8-10 years, you likely aren't getting more than 6 out of a RB.

sahlensguy
05-02-2016, 10:19 AM
You can get a good OL who can be a starter for 8-10 years, you likely aren't getting more than 6 out of a RB.

When you consider how many roster spots are taken by each, I don't think your metric is correct. Either way I'm just a little surprised we didn't go OL at all this time around.

trapezeus
05-02-2016, 12:18 PM

However, if he doesn't learn to carry that ball high and tight he's going to have some serious fumble issues in the NFL.

thought the same thing

trapezeus
05-02-2016, 12:20 PM
I think you can avoid OL. the bills are in an all-in gamble. if TT goes down, they got nothing. if the left side of the line gets injured, they got nothing. they aren't built to be a deep team. they are built to be good enough when healthy. if thye have a lot of injuries, they will crumble fast. and to me, that's worth it because you give rex his chance to show he knows how to manage a team and a game, or you have him fail and fail big. That gets us to a top pick and hopefully a qb that a new coach can work with.

Buffalogic
05-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Whaley has been good with 5th round RB's. I'll take the upside instead of just drafting some random 5th rnd O-linemen who has no chance to be a starter.

starrymessenger
05-04-2016, 08:48 AM

True, ball security is the issue. If he can't hold onto the ball hehas no future in the NFL, no matter how talented a RB.
Otherwise its a great pick IMO. He is a three down back and a good blocker (unlike his former running mate Collins). He has quick feet and can make people miss at the second level, runs with very good vision. He was set to dominate the SEC in 2014 before he broke his foot. Right now he is probably the Bills' second best RB. Given how much we run and the number of street free agents we had to play at times last year I have no problem with the allocation of resources from a FO point of view, especially given the value.

Victor7
05-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Its a 5th round pick. Who gives a ****

At best he can be our No. 3 sometimes 2 behind the ever injured Karlos. This of course if he beats out Gillislie who more than earned himself a spot with last season's performance.

Mr. Cynical
05-04-2016, 11:45 AM

This is what I noticed as well. But he's not the fastest guy on the planet, nor the most powerful. Not sure I see him getting in front of Karlos (assuming he stays healthy) and even Gillislee (that kid can fly) Long/short - I think he sits on PS if he's lucky, but if I had to put money on it, he may not make the team unless they want to carry 4 RBs.