• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

Bills GM Doug Whaley said Jones will come in as the team’s third quarterback and get to work on building his game from the ground up after making just 11 starts and attempting just 270 passes in his college career. Whaley also said they feel more than comfortable with Manuel as their backup to Tyrod Taylor.

“Very comfortable,” said Whaley. “If you look around the league we think he’s as good a number two as most out there."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• MillsapsBillsFan
      • Mar 2015

Thats the way it should be. Lots of people hate EJ as a starter, but for now he'll do as a backup. I would trust him more than Jones as a backup, Jones needs time to learn he shouldn't really touch the field this year.

Comment

• sahlensguy
        • Mar 2015

Mentoring is something EJ should be good at and as some people come into thier own only after they become a parent, this could help his own game.

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

LOL. Whaley has turned EJ into a mentor for Jones. Talk about trouble.

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.

Comment

• sdbillsfan2
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sahlensguy View Post
              EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.
              Or maybe its the Bills version of "the blind leading the blind" !

" I'd try to see things from your point of view but..........there's only room up your a** for one head ! "

Comment

• DraftBoy
                Administrator
                • Jul 2002

No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.
                COMING SOON...
                Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.
                  Perhaps...remember, this is a club that carried 2 kickers. Hmm...can Jones kick off? A hidden talent?
                  Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.
                      It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                        It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.
                        Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                          Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.
                          It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

Meyer doggedly started Jones, kept him too long IMO, and finally yanked him.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...
                          Last edited by stuckincincy; 05-01-2016, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• SaviorEdwards
                            • Feb 2010

It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...
                            Actually, yes it is an offense designed for spread-option QBs not pro style QBs. Cardale was recruited by Tressel not Urban. Wow, some of the analysis of Jones on this message board is really out there. I don't know if he'll be a success, but people need to come in with at least some basic knowledge. Losing Tom Herman to Houston also really hurt Cardle's growth going into the 2015 season.
                            "The best things to happen to Michigan Football have come from Ohio." - Chris Spielman

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

That's not true, both Meyer and the OC at OSU have come out and said that the offense was never changed from what was designed to fit Miller/Barrett to be more catered to Jones. He had some really bad moments last year no doubt about that. However, given his limited number of snaps I don't thing anybody can go to bat either way on this player.

What we have is a really raw ball of clay. Whether it ever becomes anything more than that is on Jones, Palmer, Lee, and Roman.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X