PDA

View Full Version : QB Jones won’t alter EJ’s spot on depth chart in 2016

YardRat
05-01-2016, 12:44 PM
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/04/30/qb-jones-wont-alter-ejs-spot-on-depth-chart/

Bills GM Doug Whaley said Jones will come in as the team’s third quarterback and get to work on building his game from the ground up after making just 11 starts and attempting just 270 passes in his college career. Whaley also said they feel more than comfortable with Manuel as their backup to Tyrod Taylor.

“Very comfortable,” said Whaley. “If you look around the league we think he’s as good a number two as most out there."

YardRat
05-01-2016, 12:49 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TBY4eqlJTg8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MillsapsBillsFan
05-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Thats the way it should be. Lots of people hate EJ as a starter, but for now he'll do as a backup. I would trust him more than Jones as a backup, Jones needs time to learn he shouldn't really touch the field this year.

sahlensguy
05-01-2016, 01:06 PM
Mentoring is something EJ should be good at and as some people come into thier own only after they become a parent, this could help his own game.

swiper
05-01-2016, 01:07 PM
LOL. Whaley has turned EJ into a mentor for Jones. Talk about trouble.

sahlensguy
05-01-2016, 01:12 PM
EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.

sdbillsfan2
05-01-2016, 01:30 PM
EJ was going to be a Bill for another year anyway Swiper. Mentoring is one thing he might actually be GOOD at.

Or maybe its the Bills version of "the blind leading the blind" !

DraftBoy
05-01-2016, 05:43 PM
No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.

stuckincincy
05-01-2016, 08:08 PM
No reason he should. Jones should be inactive all year as the #3 QB barring injury.

Perhaps...remember, this is a club that carried 2 kickers. Hmm...can Jones kick off? A hidden talent? :scratch:

Mace
05-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.

stuckincincy
05-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Might be the blind leading the blind, might help, might not mean anything at all, but Manuel with his guaranteed salary and incapable of being Johnny Manziel is going nowhere in any case. Manuel is not so much bad as he is not good. Jones should get a year on the pines without pressure, and use it well.

It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.

Mace
05-01-2016, 09:25 PM
It's a fair question as to whether a pine infusion will help. It was brutal watching him last season with OSU. Urban Meyer gave him tons of chances, to the point that even a reliable but casual watcher of OSU games like me - wondered why he was still on the field. Announcers scratched their heads, too. Game after game.

It will be fantastic if he pans out, but football has been played a long time...it's like a four-act play that's run for over a hundred years. There's not much new. Jones simply didn't impress.

Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.

stuckincincy
05-01-2016, 09:46 PM
Well, it was an offense for a JT Barrett, not a Cardale Jones.

Maybe our offense is for a JT Barrett and not a Cardale Jones too, I don't know. To me, Jones had impressive moments. They all have impressive moments in college. Anyone else this QB class gonna shine ? I doubt it.

It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

Meyer doggedly started Jones, kept him too long IMO, and finally yanked him.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...

SaviorEdwards
05-01-2016, 11:33 PM
It wasn't an offense designed for any particular qb. OSU most always is stocked with decent OL talent, Defensive talent, running backs, half-way decent wrs. They get recruits from as far away as the planet Pluto. It doesn't take much to be an OSU QB. Bert, Ernie, and Elmo would suffice.

OSU has never been accused of being a QB "factory." To my knowledge, the few OSU QBs to hit the pro game never even sniffed an All-Pro/All-Pro honor.

Why are you going to bat for this guy? It would be great if he proved the exception to history, but...

Actually, yes it is an offense designed for spread-option QBs not pro style QBs. Cardale was recruited by Tressel not Urban. Wow, some of the analysis of Jones on this message board is really out there. I don't know if he'll be a success, but people need to come in with at least some basic knowledge. Losing Tom Herman to Houston also really hurt Cardle's growth going into the 2015 season.

DraftBoy
05-02-2016, 04:16 AM

That's not true, both Meyer and the OC at OSU have come out and said that the offense was never changed from what was designed to fit Miller/Barrett to be more catered to Jones. He had some really bad moments last year no doubt about that. However, given his limited number of snaps I don't thing anybody can go to bat either way on this player.

What we have is a really raw ball of clay. Whether it ever becomes anything more than that is on Jones, Palmer, Lee, and Roman.

casdhf
05-02-2016, 04:18 AM
Say what you will about EJ on the field, but he is young, well behaved and a great professional. A perfect mentor for Jones.

YardRat
05-02-2016, 04:21 AM
The thing that scares me the most about this is Whaley's comment regarding EJ.

Historian
05-02-2016, 04:31 AM

I agree.

It would be London all over.

Forward_Lateral
05-02-2016, 04:36 AM
I agree.

It would be London all over.

That was the most frustrated I've been watching a Bills game in a long time. My screaming was split between EJ throwing pick after pick and the complete dog poop streaming of Yahoo!

sahlensguy
05-02-2016, 04:40 AM
That's not true, both Meyer and the OC at OSU have come out and said that the offense was never changed from what was designed to fit Miller/Barrett to be more catered to Jones. He had some really bad moments last year no doubt about that. However, given his limited number of snaps I don't thing anybody can go to bat either way on this player.

What we have is a really raw ball of clay. Whether it ever becomes anything more than that is on Jones, Palmer, Lee, and Roman.

Have any specifics on Jones' demotion? On the start sheet I see a > 62% completion rate and an 8 to 5 td to int ratio. Not terrible.

DraftBoy
05-02-2016, 05:27 AM
Have any specifics on Jones' demotion? On the start sheet I see a > 62% completion rate and an 8 to 5 td to int ratio. Not terrible.

Offense was stalling out and lacked any kind of consistent positive movement. With Jones in the game it was a big play or punt. That's a systematic issue with a young QB, when you ask them to make plays in an offense not designed for them you expect struggles. Barrett came in and the system clicked nearly instantly.

You have to design the system to get the QB's confidence up and OSU never did that with Jones and for good reason.

sukie
05-02-2016, 06:05 AM
LOL. Whaley has turned EJ into a mentor for Jones. Talk about trouble.

Those who can't... Teach.

WagonCircler
05-02-2016, 07:37 AM

Did Cardale Jones lose money returning to Ohio State?

The question will be asked repeatedly in the coming months and is particularly timely Tuesday, with J.T. Barrett reclaiming the starting job at Ohio State.

Jones turned down the NFL after his surprising three-game audition last season that resulted in a national title, choosing instead to stay at Ohio State for the 2015 season.

Barrett was widely considered the better fit for Ohio State's offense, but coach Urban Meyer stuck with Jones as the starter for the first seven games. Now even Meyer can't deny any longer than Jones is holding the Buckeyes back.

"J.T. has earned the right to start Saturday at Rutgers," Meyer said Tuesday on a conference call.

Although he's completing 62 percent of his passes and has more touchdowns (seven) than interceptions (five), Jones has disappointed this season. And not because he's regressed, but because he looks exactly the same as last season, making the same mistakes and failing to show much improvement as a passer. There is no questioning Jones' physical tools with his well-built frame, top-shelf arm strength and the mobility to move the pocket or pick up chunk yardage with his legs when needed.

However, his game lacks sophistication.

Jones has the same cannon and confidence throwing downfield, but he's failing to read defenses and instead locking onto targets – issues that were obvious on his 2014 tape. Where he has really struggled is a lack of anticipation and timing. Studying his film, Jones waits for targets to get open before throwing the ball as hard as he can so it arrives before the defender. He needs refinement with his footwork, internal clock and overall accuracy to all levels of the field.

Maturity has been another trouble issue with Jones over his collegiate career so his reaction to a demotion will be something scouts watch closely. Despite being a top-five finisher in the Heisman voting last year, Barrett, who is over two years younger than Jones, accepted his back-up role this season and showed a team-first attitude..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25347033/nfl-draft-cardale-jones-benched-how-does-it-affect-his-nfl-future

swiper
05-02-2016, 10:45 AM

Bagging. He may be good at bagging groceries.

WagonCircler
05-02-2016, 01:32 PM
Bagging. He may be good at bagging groceries.

I'm not so sure.

It's trickier now than when you and I were young.

We have actual paper bags that stood at attention and held a crapload of canned goods.

Now they have those flimsy plastic things that rip at the first sight of a gallon of milk.

Plus, now that they're paying $15/hr, there are sure to be robots bagging groceries soon.

swiper
05-02-2016, 03:34 PM
Then what is Manuel gonna do for work?

YardRat
05-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Then what is Manuel gonna do for work?

He can reprise the Lando Calrissian role in Star Wars movies.

swiper
05-02-2016, 03:40 PM
LOL.

Mace
05-02-2016, 04:18 PM

It's best not to pay attention to Rex or Whaley unless you mean to get upset anyway.

swiper
05-02-2016, 04:34 PM

LOL. Love the blind homers who keep supporting this guy (Whaley). He compared EJ Manuel to Frank Reich? ROFLMAO.

Fire him now.

Mace
05-02-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm not so sure.

We have actual paper bags that stood at attention and held a crapload of canned goods.

Now they have those flimsy plastic things that rip at the first sight of a gallon of milk.

Plus, now that they're paying $15/hr, there are sure to be robots bagging groceries soon.

I go to savealot where you have to have your own bags or buy them, and bag groceries yourself. That's why I hire laborers to pack and ruck. You just have to keep them moving with good raps of the stick on the way home because sometimes they lose their nerve at traffic lights if half the train is across when the light changes.

pmoon6
05-02-2016, 05:13 PM
Mentoring is something EJ should be good at and as some people come into thier own only after they become a parent, this could help his own game.Interesting thought!

pmoon6
05-02-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm not so sure.

Plus, now that they're paying $15/hr, there are sure to be robots bagging groceries soon.Use the self checkout with your own bags.:D

sahlensguy
05-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I'm not so sure.

I'm not sure either. I'm thinking about the bag being wide open and he overthrows the eggs or he drills the bananas into the ground at the customers feet.

DraftBoy
05-03-2016, 06:38 AM
I go to savealot where you have to have your own bags or buy them, and bag groceries yourself. That's why I hire laborers to pack and ruck. You just have to keep them moving with good raps of the stick on the way home because sometimes they lose their nerve at traffic lights if half the train is across when the light changes.

I prefer to bag my own groceries. Kids these days don't know what they are doing. Boxes on the outside, cans in the middle, soft items on top. Set up the structure of the bag so that it doesn't bulge and break. Rookies...