PDA

View Full Version : Report - Manuel Option Not Picked Up ?

Night Train
05-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Could be wrong but this guy says Ian Rapoport stated they passed on the 5th year. Updated 30 minutes ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659379/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2013-firstround-picks

The Jokeman
05-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Could be wrong but this guy says Ian Rapoport stated they passed on the 5th year. Updated 30 minutes ago.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000659379/article/fifthyear-option-tracker-for-2013-firstround-picks

Manuel's 5th year is 2017 and if was picked up have to pay him average of top 20 paid QBs. It makes perfect sense.

Ed
05-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Not surprising. There was no way they're going to guarantee EJ $11+ mil for one season.

swiper
05-02-2016, 04:20 PM
The crying's almost over.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15448758/buffalo-bills-decline-fifth-year-option-ej-manuel

The Buffalo Bills (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/buf/buffalo-bills) declined to exercise quarterback EJ Manuel (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15803/ej-manuel)'s fifth-year option for the 2017 season, according to multiple reports.

Manuel, the 16th overall selection and the first quarterback taken in the 2013 draft, would have been due a $11.357 million salary in 2017 if the team had exercised the option. That salary would have been guaranteed in case of an injury until the beginning of the 2017 league year next March, at which point it would have become fully guaranteed.

With the Bills declining Manuel's fifth-year option, the fourth-year quarterback will be due a fully-guaranteed $2.827 million base salary this season before becoming a free agent next spring.

Scumbag College
05-02-2016, 05:32 PM
Now we have to franchise him to keep him.

YardRat
05-02-2016, 05:39 PM
A lot of teams have been passing on the fifth year option according to the NFLN crawl today.

Mingo in Cleveland, Joeckel in Jax, Milliner in NJJ, Warmack in Tennessee, Elam in Baltimore.

Mace
05-02-2016, 05:45 PM
A lot of teams have been passing on the fifth year option according to the NFLN crawl today.

Mingo in Cleveland, Joeckel in Jax, Milliner in NJJ, Warmack in Tennessee, Elam in Baltimore.

None of them big surprises either.

jills
05-02-2016, 06:23 PM
But but but he has all the tools, he will develop, he showed flashes of greatness!

LOL

DraftBoy
05-02-2016, 06:27 PM
That's Cardale Jones spot in 2017.

YardRat
05-02-2016, 06:33 PM
Merged.

Fixxxer
05-02-2016, 06:41 PM
None of them big surprises either.

Really? I remember fans and media drooling with Warmack as a OG prospect. Joeckel is a suprise too.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-03-2016, 04:57 AM
Jarvis Jones in Pittsburgh, same thing. Just a bad year for NFL draft overall. Hindsight is 20/20. Should've traded picks for next year.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Not surprising... That option year is expensive for a projected back-up. But don't be surprised to see him re-sign for a modest salary in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/02/bills-decline-fifth-year-option-on-ej-manuel/#comments

Manuel started 10 games at a rookie, four in 2014, and two last year. His 2015 starts came when Taylor was injured.
For his career, Manuel has a 59.1-percent completion percentage, 3,371 passing yards, 19 touchdown passes, and 15 interceptions. He also has lost four fumbles.

Those stats mentioned actually complete an entire 16 game season... 59.1%, 3,371 yards, 211 yards/game, 19 TD's, 15 INT's, 4 fumbles... Not terrible regardless of the hate.

Go ahead... Flame away.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-03-2016, 06:41 AM
Not surprising... That option year is expensive for a projected back-up. But don't be surprised to see him re-sign for a modest salary in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/02/bills-decline-fifth-year-option-on-ej-manuel/#comments

Those stats mentioned actually complete an entire 16 game season... 59.1%, 3,371 yards, 211 yards/game, 19 TD's, 15 INT's, 4 fumbles... Not terrible regardless of the hate.

Go ahead... Flame away.
He may, but I'm not sure the Bills want to. I'm predicting the Bills will draft another QB 2017.

Just seems to me that the organization has put more resources on finding a QB (could be from the Pegulas?).

casdhf
05-03-2016, 06:44 AM
I would extend him with a 2-year $5 million deal.

trapezeus
05-03-2016, 07:34 AM

Go ahead... Flame away.

would be good had he been a winner. And pedestrian as a losing qb. Jax sealed his fate for me. I wanted to see him develop, but he didn't. It'll be ok if cardale follows the same path, but for a first rounder, it hurts. Though not one qb from that class has played well for long stretches. So it's not like we took the wrong guy

Buffalogic
05-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Why in god's name would they even consider picking him up? His guaranteed money is the only thing keeping him alive today.

Joe Fo Sho
05-03-2016, 08:23 AM
If our defense holds on the last Jags drive, EJ would have led the Bills to the 2nd greatest comeback in their history after being the sole reason for the comeback to be necessary.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-03-2016, 08:33 AM
would be good had he been a winner. And pedestrian as a losing qb. Jax sealed his fate for me. I wanted to see him develop, but he didn't. It'll be ok if cardale follows the same path, but for a first rounder, it hurts. Though not one qb from that class has played well for long stretches. So it's not like we took the wrong guy

I'm warming up to Whaley for this reason - unlike Nix, Whaley seems to be more willing to let draft coming to him than forcing things to happen.

Nix has long stated when he took the GM position that he wanted to build D first, then go after a QB so as not to put undue pressure on the new QB. EJ , as a result, is the classic failure of this approach when you are at a point you need to draft a QB and yet there is really no QB to be drafted the whole draft class. Some of his forced draft picks like Torrell Troup in my view falls in the same category.

Whaley, on the other hand, seems to picking in draft class's strength. 2014 was a banner year for WR. he went head strong in that direction. 2016 is flush with D line talent, the Bills got 2 in the first 3 rounds; QB class is deep (may not be top heavy), the Bills got one in the last day of draft.

My complaint, as I stated before, is he seems to be a little trigger happy, which may not be unexpected for a young and new GM. A more experienced GM may handle the Watkins trade or Ragland's trade better.

BuffRanger
05-03-2016, 08:48 AM
Manuel is terrible. :bigwave:

Ed
05-03-2016, 08:52 AM
Really? I remember fans and media drooling with Warmack as a OG prospect. Joeckel is a suprise too.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Joeckel I guess isn't that surprising since he's struggled with injuries and has been a big disappointment, but people talked about Warmack like he was the greatest OG prospect ever.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2016, 09:15 AM
If our defense holds on the last Jags drive, EJ would have led the Bills to the 2nd greatest comeback in their history after being the sole reason for the comeback to be necessary.Exactly... This only meltdown of his career was countered by a very nice comeback for the Bills. EJ and the offense actually gained a 4th quarter lead, only to have the D fold with the help of the refs of course.

swiper
05-03-2016, 09:38 AM
That's Cardale Jones spot in 2017.

Unplug one heaping pile of crap, plug in another cheaper one.

swiper
05-03-2016, 09:44 AM

Go ahead... Flame away.

At least you recognize that 85% of Bills fans realize that you're full of crap.

And we're waiting for you to remind us that you're not an EJ fan. ROFL.

swiper
05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
I guess overthrowing that TE by pumping the ball into the PR tent doesn't count against him anymore.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Have your fun swiper... It's easy to be a big shot in make believe land.

swiper
05-03-2016, 10:10 AM
You told us you weren't an EJ fan more than once. Yet you have never had anything but good things to say about him. Hmmmm.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Because I believe he is what he is... Not some fabricated piece of **** that you insist on making him into. It's almost as though you caught your boyfriend lusting after him.

Joe Fo Sho
05-03-2016, 10:16 AM
Exactly... This only meltdown of his career was countered by a very nice comeback for the Bills. EJ and the offense actually gained a 4th quarter lead, only to have the D fold with the help of the refs of course.

The defense technically 'gained the 4th quarter lead' after a Corey Graham pick 6. Our defense had given up 7 points up until that last drive not counting the short field EJ gave them after his 2nd INT. The Bills defense basically had a net of -7 on the day, which should have been good enough to win by 20 points. We lost 34-31.

I think EJ gets a bad rap from that game, which is understandable. I just think that he's deserving of the role that he's in today, and I'm fine with him being the backup. Even if his contract wasn't fully guaranteed, I'd have kept him on as a backup instead of signing a guy like Hoyer in free agency.

swiper
05-03-2016, 10:55 AM
Because I believe he is what he is... Not some fabricated piece of **** that you insist on making him into. It's almost as though you caught your boyfriend lusting after him.

No. I just see what he is. You cannot.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2016, 11:21 AM
These will be my final comments regarding swiper.

See Jo Fo Sho comments above... Those are clear sighted observations and reasonable comments.

Swiper, on the other hand, wants to make everything into something that it's not. Like diverting to "you're an EJ fan".

Arm of Harm
05-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Yasgur's Farm wrote:

> Those stats mentioned actually complete an entire 16 game season... 59.1%, 3,371 yards, 211 yards/game, 19 TD's, 15 INT's, 4 fumbles... Not terrible regardless of the hate.

I'll grant that on paper, those stats look decent. Not great by any means. Not solid. But decent.

However, there are additional numbers which should also be taken into account. One article I read indicated that over 90% of Manuel's throws were to targets within ten yards of himself. Not ten yards in front of the line of scrimmage. Ten yards or less from wherever Manuel happened to be standing when throwing the ball.

I'm just a random guy. I have no special expertise at the quarterback position. But if I'm throwing the ball around with my friends, I find it ridiculously easy to hit a target ten yards or less from where I'm standing. Lots of other people can do the same. 90% of Manuel's throws were throws you'd expect any middle school quarterback to be able to consistently make.

Back when he was the starter, Manuel had (IIRC) the lowest air yards per attempt of any starting QB in the NFL. Total yards per attempt = air yards per attempt + yards after the catch. Manuel's total yards per attempt looked like it had a hint of credibility. But that was because players like Sammy Watkins and Fred Jackson were doing a good job of generating yards after the catch.

Joe Montana helped his receivers generate good YAC by hitting them in perfect stride. But Manuel's targets were typically stationary. In the (relatively rare) instances when they weren't stationary, they were typically moving vertically. Almost never was he asked to hit targets moving horizontally. Because Manuel didn't do anything to help generate YAC, using stats which credit QBs for YAC yards merely confuses the issue. The correct stat for evaluating Manuel is air yards per attempt. In that stat, his ranking was at the bottom.

Back when Manuel was under center, the Bills' offense was designed to hide their weakness at quarterback. Manuel should have been used to an offense like that, because that was also the offense he ran at FSU.

swiper
05-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the proclamation there Yasgur. Doesn't make you smart, nor does it take back all the garbage you've spewed regarding Manuel since he's been drafted.

Victor7
05-03-2016, 04:43 PM
I would be elated if not for the fact that Whaley already drafted his replacement in a less accurate (imagine that) bigger version in Cardale Jones.

Now watch us hold on to that bum for 3-4 years minimum.

It seems like we are destined to pay for some guy to pretend to be a quarterback on our roster for as long as DW is our GM.

Mace
05-03-2016, 07:17 PM
I don't really see the point in arguing about Manuel or Jones. We're going to try and make it to 9-7 on Tyrod Taylor and Ryan's defense somehow dramatically improving. We're not going into the playoffs to contend for a Super Bowl this year. If Taylor goes down, Manuel, Jones, Lynch, Hoyer, McCown, Fitzpatrick, Prescott, or Cook would not be spearheading some miraculous run unless you're too caught up in a daydream.

And next year is another year, there will be more QBs, maybe a shot at The Chad. Maybe Taylor will prove himself. Maybe the defense will improve. Maybe Manuel or Jones will show something. But the D has to improve. Denver just won a Super Bowl with a spent Peyton Manning, because of their D, and just enough O.

The O will not become a 90's Bills blitzkrieg. Hope for the D to improve and figure the QB situation will start sorting itself out.

YardRat
05-03-2016, 08:19 PM
I'd still take Warmack right now, in a second.