PDA

View Full Version : Who might we target from free agency now that the draft is over

X-Era
05-04-2016, 04:50 AM
Glenn has been extended and even though the terms have not yet been released it's a safe bet that we have gained more cap space. We probably now have the room to add another free agent. I expect Gilmore to get locked up before training camp personally. There still are some areas that could use an experienced veteran as a backup.

Here's my list:

Antonio Cromartie- McKelvin is gone. Leaves Robey, Seymour, and Arenas behind Darby and Gilmore. A solid vet at the right price would be good. Familiarity with Rex's system is a plus.
Anquan Boldin- Yes we added guys with size like Boykin, Little, Salas. And yes we have size in Dez Lewis. But none are proven as solid possession WR's; Boldin is.
Andre Johnson- See Boldin
Alex Carrington- Washington insurance and can spell in the rotation on the DL
Jahri Evans- Can be the primary backup G who could give us insurance if a starter goes out or needs to be benched.

YardRat
05-04-2016, 04:54 AM
Bacarri Rambo...inexpensive, experienced depth at safety better than Duke and Meeks.

DraftBoy
05-04-2016, 05:43 AM
Bacarri Rambo...inexpensive, experienced depth at safety better than Duke and Meeks.

Also not very good.

Mahdi
05-04-2016, 06:16 AM
Also not very good.

I thought Rambo was a solid player for us.

He has a knack for making plays.

Dr. Lecter
05-04-2016, 06:17 AM
He also has a knack for giving up plays.

I'd take Boldin in a heartbeat. One of the more underrated players in the last decade.

And another FSU player never hurts!

The Jokeman
05-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Glenn has been extended and even though the terms have not yet been released it's a safe bet that we have gained more cap space. We probably now have the room to add another free agent. I expect Gilmore to get locked up before training camp personally. There still are some areas that could use an experienced veteran as a backup.

Here's my list:

Antonio Cromartie- McKelvin is gone. Leaves Robey, Seymour, and Arenas behind Darby and Gilmore. A solid vet at the right price would be good. Familiarity with Rex's system is a plus.
Anquan Boldin- Yes we added guys with size like Boykin, Little, Salas. And yes we have size in Dez Lewis. But none are proven as solid possession WR's; Boldin is.
Jahri Evans- Can be the primary backup G who could give us insurance if a starter goes out or needs to be benched.

Matt Slauson and confirmed, http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/04/matt-slauson-lines-up-visits-with-chargers-bills/ He seems he'd be a solid add as he familiar with Rex and Aaron Kromer. As I think a solid veteran to have behind John Miller.

DraftBoy
05-04-2016, 07:48 AM
I thought Rambo was a solid player for us.

He has a knack for making plays.

I'm not sure I'd say he has a knack for making plays. You're talking about a guy with 3 INT's and 2 FF in his career. Two of his three INT's came in one game (v. GB) and both his FF came in the same game.

Two good games does not make a career.

cookie G
05-04-2016, 08:00 AM
@adamschefter
Former #Bears starting G Matt Slauson has visits scheduled with the #Chargers and #Bills.

@mikerodak
Bills are looking at Slauson as a right tackle, I'm told.

Gave up one sack last year and pass pro is something the right side sorely needs.

Got a great recommendation from Kyle Long at the end of the season:

On the offensive side of the ball, Kyle Long didn’t watch for the Pro Bowl rosters for himself, he said, but for his teammate, Matt Slauson.

“I was disappointed that Matt Slauson didn’t make it,” Long said. “That’s the only reason that I paid attention to it because that’s a guy that earns it every year, and I think this year, in the situation he was put in, playing some center, playing some guard as well, at the very high level that he does, I think he’s a guy that deserves to be in the Pro Bowl.”

Slauson has played every snap this season, including games he has filled in or started at center.

“It is very tough because you look at his numbers and his efficiency as a blocker and the things he’s able to do in terms of finishing guys and getting downfield and being athletic in space, you take all that with his combination of leadership and football smarts, he’s a very scary individual when it comes to football,” Long said. “... Slauson’s an All-Pro in my book and he’ll always be that way.”

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uCRq3slEWfwJ:www.chicagofootball.com/articles/2015/12/23/57ff24ef489a4a2186a29464db1fdaeb/+&cd=20&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

elroy16
05-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I would love the Boldin pickup. He's obviously up their in age, but he's been a personal favorite since his days in Arizona and does a tremendous job at catching the ball at its highest point.

The Slauson pick-up would be strong too. Not sure why they'd try to move him to RT when he's been solid at guard throughout his career. Plug him in at RG and the line might be shored up outside of RT. Let Miller sit a year and hopefully take the starting job next year.

chernobylwraiths
05-04-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm not sure I'd say he has a knack for making plays. You're talking about a guy with 3 INT's and 2 FF in his career. Two of his three INT's came in one game (v. GB) and both his FF came in the same game.

in his case, that might be his career

Mr. Pink
05-04-2016, 10:18 AM
How much money does the team have to entertain/sign any free agents at this point?

The Jokeman
05-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Before Glenn's new deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ has us at $6.86 million under the cap.

Joe Fo Sho
05-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Before Glenn's new deal http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ has us at $6.86 million under the cap.

That doesn't take into account the draft class. With their projected rookie salaries, they have us at $1.1 million before Glenn's deal.

Mahdi
05-04-2016, 11:15 AM

That being said...

I said he was a solid player for us and had a knack for making plays.... I didn't say recording stats.

He had a couple of key interceptions and 2 key FF from 8 starts.

BTW those 8 starts were the first real string of starts he ever had in his career.

He also had 6 passes defensed. And again from what I remember he was around the ball a lot.

Also, Rambo had 16 INTs in his college career. 3 Taken back for TDs.

So between his college career and his first real opportunity to start for an NFL team he proved that he is around the ball frequently and making plays on it.

Mahdi
05-04-2016, 11:23 AM
That doesn't take into account the draft class. With their projected rookie salaries, they have us at $1.1 million before Glenn's deal.

Does Glenn's deal give us more cap space though?

Joe Fo Sho
05-04-2016, 12:03 PM

I don't think anyone knows right now.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Glenn signed the franchise tender back in March which means $13.7 million is counted towards Bills cap. His 5 year deal would certainly lower that number.

YardRat
05-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Also not very good.

But still better than DW and Meeks, which was the point I made.

- - - Updated - - -

I want nothing at all to do with Cromartie, the other four I could live with.

DraftBoy
05-04-2016, 03:28 PM
That being said...

I said he was a solid player for us and had a knack for making plays.... I didn't say recording stats.

He had a couple of key interceptions and 2 key FF from 8 starts.

BTW those 8 starts were the first real string of starts he ever had in his career.

He also had 6 passes defensed. And again from what I remember he was around the ball a lot.

Also, Rambo had 16 INTs in his college career. 3 Taken back for TDs.

So between his college career and his first real opportunity to start for an NFL team he proved that he is around the ball frequently and making plays on it.

He also got beat a lot and was out of position too both in college and in his time with the Bills.

swiper
05-04-2016, 04:13 PM
He also got beat a lot and was out of position too both in college and in his time with the Bills.

The legend of Baccari Rambo lives on in the less educated fans that populate this site from time to time.

YardRat
05-04-2016, 04:21 PM
The legend of Baccari Rambo lives on in the less educated fans that populate this site from time to time.

If AW gets dinged, who would you rather replace him during a game...Rambo or Duke?

Mace
05-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Here's my list:

Well, I don't think Cromartie, Boldin, Johnson or Evans consider themselves ready to become cheap depth yet. Boldin and Johnson aren't going to be wanting to go to a team that doesn't primarily pass, and the Bills aren't going to want to take snaps from their batch of "prove it" young guys. No idea why they didn't try to get Carrington back, had thought that would have been a no-brainer.

If Evans or Cromartie wanted to become (relatively) cheap depth, I'd be happy to have them though.

Slauson would be a fine pickup.

I don't really think Rambo was bad, in the context of that defense just not working properly last year, and I'd be fine with him competing for a spot along with the others that are essentially competing for spots. I think they were just disorganized and unsure across the board because of the nature of Ryan's defense.

Not really any FA's left that I think would be better maybes than the maybes we already have. We have a lot of young guys that need snaps for this to work well in the long run, imho.

Mace
05-04-2016, 06:13 PM
If AW gets dinged, who would you rather replace him during a game...Rambo or Duke?

You have to like Rambo, he was younger and took guts to stitch himself up in the woods like he did. Duke had more exp though, standing tall through WW2 movies, westerns (though granted he often had a horse), as Attila the Hun, and even a Vietnam war movie. I'd have to say Rambo had better mobility though, Duke's sidling walk is probably best for blocking tight end.

Mahdi
05-05-2016, 05:38 AM

I assume you've done a full thesis on Baccari Rambo's performance last year as a backup safety?

Looking forward to seeing the thorough study you've conducted on all his snaps.

Dr. Lecter
05-05-2016, 06:12 AM
I assume you've done a full thesis on Baccari Rambo's performance last year as a backup safety?

Looking forward to seeing the thorough study you've conducted on all his snaps.

Are you going to publish your thesis at the same time?

Night Train
05-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Are you going to publish your thesis at the same time?

My Masters thesis was on the Kennedy assassination... but I doubt Rambo has anything to do with the grassy knoll.

stuckincincy
05-05-2016, 08:04 AM
My Masters thesis was on the Kennedy assassination... but I doubt Rambo has anything to do with the grassy knoll.

Neat stuff!

I remember the day. Folks were stunned. I went outside and my street was deserted -not a soul outside.

I still have the front section of the Bflo evening News from that day...