PDA

View Full Version : Pegula just bought more land by the Ralph

YardRat
05-06-2016, 04:59 AM
Per the morning news, for an outdoor practice field.

A sign that any 'new' stadium will be essentially staying put?

DraftBoy
05-06-2016, 05:26 AM
Per the morning news, for an outdoor practice field.

A sign that any 'new' stadium will be essentially staying put?
Business wise, I'm not entirely sure how that makes sense for a new stadium. But it staying put would make the fans very happy.

To me it more or less signals that a new stadium is probably a decade, or more, away and the practice facility is a needed upgrade for the team now.

OpIv37
05-06-2016, 06:33 AM
I think it's Brandon's idea. Turn $15 private lots where the team makes no money into $40 stadium lots where the team gets all the money.

OpIv37
05-06-2016, 06:37 AM
Business wise, I'm not entirely sure how that makes sense for a new stadium. But it staying put would make the fans very happy.

To me it more or less signals that a new stadium is probably a decade, or more, away and the practice facility is a needed upgrade for the team now.

I can't see a new stadium being that far away. The lease was designed to give the team an out at the 7 year mark if progress on a new stadium wasn't being made. Granted, that was under Ralph, so he had the "we can move the team" card to force a new stadium. I don't think a threat to leave is credible from Pegula because he has so much more invested in the community.

justasportsfan
05-06-2016, 07:08 AM
He's fracking the Ralph people.

Night Train
05-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Smart. A new stadium, far down the road right next door is the best idea. Downtown would be too costly and the traffic would be a complete cluster****.

stuckincincy
05-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Smart. A new stadium, far down the road right next door is the best idea. Downtown would be too costly and the traffic would be a complete cluster****.

Add in the possible effect on attendance if tailgating is curtailed. Lotsa folks who don't give a rat's patoot about the team attend games to get smashed and puff themselves up by abusing others.

Ed
05-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Even if a new stadium is going to be ready in the next 5-10 years, it shouldn't stop the Pegulas from investing in the team and facilities. If we're just talking about a practice field that's not exactly a huge expense, and if it helps the team prepare for different weather conditions than it's probably worth it.

WagonCircler
05-06-2016, 10:41 AM
This purchase has nothing to do with a new stadium or whether or not the Bills stay in the current stadium.

It's for a new outdoor practice field, at the request of Rex.

OpIv37
05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
This purchase has nothing to do with a new stadium or whether or not the Bills stay in the current stadium.

They better haul ass and get it built before camp ends this year. Otherwise, Rex will never get to use it because he's getting fired after we go 5-11.

YardRat
05-06-2016, 03:22 PM
They better haul ass and get it built before camp ends this year. Otherwise, Rex will never get to use it because he's getting fired after we go 5-11.

I believe they said on the news it wouldn't be ready until 2017.

Mace
05-06-2016, 03:48 PM

I've read too, that even if they build a stadium elsewhere, they intend to keep their practice facilities where they are in Orchard Park.

Turf
05-06-2016, 04:14 PM
Like I said before, it takes 45 minutes 1 hour before game time to get 18,000 downtown for a Sabres game. I can't imagine 70K plus getting to a game unless they redo the entire road structure from the thruway out.

Mace
05-06-2016, 04:23 PM
Like I said before, it takes 45 minutes 1 hour before game time to get 18,000 downtown for a Sabres game. I can't imagine 70K plus getting to a game unless they redo the entire road structure from the thruway out.

They'd have to, but the Skyway has to go anyway and I think I remember reading the money is available from the state for it.

BillsImpossible
05-06-2016, 06:32 PM
They'd have to, but the Skyway has to go anyway and I think I remember reading the money is available from the state for it.

The Skyway is THE major obstacle in the way of building a new stadium downtown.

Replacing the Skyway would take years to do, at an astronomical cost best it would have to go underground.

Think Boston's Big Dig, but at a smaller scale. How else are you going to redirect traffic?

The Skyway is essentially the main southern artery of the city, and it needs an angioplasty.

Until that happens, the Pegulas are smart to sit and wait for the state to get to work.

BUT, the Pegulas have a direct benefit from not having the Skyway torn down.

If the Skyway were to be torn down, it would cause major disruption to Canalside and the waterfront for years.

WagonCircler
05-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Replacing the Skyway would take years to do, at an astronomical cost best it would have to go underground.

Think Boston's Big Dig, but at a smaller scale..

That is one asinine comparison.

That's like comparing a crack in your driveway to the Grand Canyon.

If the Skyway were to be torn down, it would spur massive development on Buffalo's waterfront that would make Canalside look like a student film.

Chicago has the same winters as we do, albeit slightly less snow, and their waterfront is spectacular and extremely valuable.

This city is finally rebounding from rock bottom. Correcting the massive mistake that is the Skyway would be worth every penny and every bit of trouble it takes.

Ingtar33
05-07-2016, 01:16 AM

I never thought it a coincidence that the bills started to struggle at home the moment that indoor practice facility was built.