PDA

View Full Version : TBN : More to like about Striker

Mace
05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Heh, I like this kid. Have a feeling he turns out to be a steal.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/06/bold-bills-lb-eric-striker-asks-else-can-chicken-wing/

Scumbag College
05-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Just wait til he gets to Rochester for a garbage plate!

Mace
05-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Just wait til he gets to Rochester for a garbage plate!

Is that Tahou place still open, haven't been out that way in years ?

Scumbag College
05-06-2016, 05:17 PM
Is that Tahou place still open, haven't been out that way in years ?

I think that it is. I'm 2,500 miles away and try to explain garbo plates to these Californians...they don't get it. I always try and tell them that their pizza here is just bread, sauce, and cheese warmed up. I've been depressed after some slices here.

swiper
05-06-2016, 05:31 PM

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/05/06/bold-bills-lb-eric-striker-asks-else-can-chicken-wing/

Was reading he wasn't drafted b/c he's short and a tweener. Doesn't really fit the ideal mold of any particular position.

But they also said London Fletcher could of used an extra inch or two. And he had quite a nice career.

Boomstick
05-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Was reading he wasn't drafted b/c he's short and a tweener. Doesn't really fit the ideal mold of any particular position.

But they also said London Fletcher could of used an extra inch or two. And he had quite a nice career.
I've been reading the same thing too. Regardless of size, this kid makes plays. I'm hoping he catches on here

Mr. Miyagi
05-06-2016, 05:49 PM
I think that it is. I'm 2,500 miles away and try to explain garbo plates to these Californians...they don't get it. I always try and tell them that their pizza here is just bread, sauce, and cheese warmed up. I've been depressed after some slices here.
Nick Tahou's is open. I was just there last year, but they limited their hours now. It used to be a Saturday night after party place to eat when I was in college. Now they close on weekends and like 6pm on weekdays. :mad:

Mace

He'd be the sweet movable "safety/lb" I was dreaming of in Cravens...

Mr. Miyagi

I love what Rex said, "don't be getting no boneless wings either" lol

Mace
05-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Nick Tahou's is open. I was just there last year, but they limited their hours now. It used to be a Saturday night after party place to eat when I was in college. Now they close on weekends and like 6pm on weekdays. :mad:

I think I mostly close at 6pm now on weekdays too.

BillsImpossible
05-06-2016, 06:19 PM
Jack Lambert was too small to play linebacker too.

Scumbag College
05-06-2016, 06:25 PM
He has a real chance. Anyone that productive at a big time program should be given a shot. Plus, it looks like Oklahoma moved him all around. That type of versatility and backing up in multiple positions and being available for different packages is pretty valuable. Should be considered for ST right off the bat.

YardRat
05-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I love rooting for an underdog.

Night Train
05-06-2016, 07:00 PM
He doesn't know S H I T about chicken wings.

swiper
05-06-2016, 07:11 PM

Jack Lambert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lambert_(American_football)) was a 6' 4" monster in the middle. Try again kid.

YardRat
05-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Jack Lambert (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Lambert_(American_football)) was a 6' 4" monster in the middle. Try again kid.

I thought the same thing, but Lambert was a little light in the ass for those days. His length made up for his alleged lack of weight.

sudzy
05-07-2016, 03:22 AM

Whole different game back then. No 300 pound linemen in the 70s. On paper Striker reminds me of Corey Moore. Great pass rusher, just to small for the NFL. I hope the Bills find a spot for him. Put him at safety and blitz him.

OpIv37
05-07-2016, 11:15 AM
The "bleu cheese vs Ranch debate" isn't a debate. Ranch is wrong.

The only people in WNY putting Ranch on their wings are fat Southern tourists at a Niagara Falls Denny's.

Ingtar33
05-07-2016, 02:14 PM
The "bleu cheese vs Ranch debate" isn't a debate. Ranch is wrong.

The only people in WNY putting Ranch on their wings are fat Southern tourists at a Niagara Falls Denny's.

I haven't lived in buffalo in over two decades, i've lived in a number of places across the country and done a lot of traveling. My first warning about whether or not i'll like the wings someplace is if they even OFFER bleu cheese. No bleu cheese, not touching the wings. (the 2nd question is "are your wings baked or fried, not fried, not touching them, then of course is the breaded or not question. Though i've gotten less militant about this answer ever since I ran across an insanely good breaded wing in phoenix arizona of all places, I still don't trust breaded wings, but i'll give them a shot if they're vouched for)

OpIv37
05-08-2016, 09:24 AM
I haven't lived in buffalo in over two decades, i've lived in a number of places across the country and done a lot of traveling. My first warning about whether or not i'll like the wings someplace is if they even OFFER bleu cheese. No bleu cheese, not touching the wings. (the 2nd question is "are your wings baked or fried, not fried, not touching them, then of course is the breaded or not question. Though i've gotten less militant about this answer ever since I ran across an insanely good breaded wing in phoenix arizona of all places, I still don't trust breaded wings, but i'll give them a shot if they're vouched for)

I've had good breaded wings with BBQ or Asian type sauces. The trick is to eat them right away or add the sauce as you go so they don't get soggy. I've never had a good breaded wing with Buffalo hot sauce.

Ingtar33
05-08-2016, 01:11 PM
I've had good breaded wings with BBQ or Asian type sauces. The trick is to eat them right away or add the sauce as you go so they don't get soggy. I've never had a good breaded wing with Buffalo hot sauce.

Graziano's in Phoenix (Glendale?), GREAT buffalo wings- breaded. Blew my mind, cause I usually couldn't even touch breaded wings. they're usually disgusting. Not only were they breaded and with good buffalo wing sauce, but they came with bleu cheese and celery. it wasn't a fluke either. I remember having them several times when in phoenix, great every time.

and yeah, you need to eat them hot. else they do get a little bit soggy.

The Jokeman
05-08-2016, 02:03 PM
I've been reading the same thing too. Regardless of size, this kid makes plays. I'm hoping he catches on here
Corey Moore made playsxin college but was undersized for the NFL. Not saying this kid another Moore as won't find out until he plays.

swiper
05-08-2016, 03:10 PM
Eric Striker (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409651) is 6' 0".

Chris Spielman (https://www.bing.com/search?q=chris+spielman&FORM=AWRE) is 6' 0".

London Fletcher (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FletLo20.htm) is 5' 10".

YardRat
05-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Spielman and Fletcher both have about 25 lbs on Striker, which is a lot.

Mace
05-08-2016, 05:51 PM

Might want to compare him more to strong safeties in terms of sub packages. Ryan is committed to 2 real 3 down lb's and they will be Ragland and Preston.

YardRat
05-08-2016, 06:00 PM
Might want to compare him more to strong safeties in terms of sub packages. Ryan is committed to 2 real 3 down lb's and they will be Ragland and Preston.

Ed Reed is 5'11" and played at 200 lbs. Striker may have to shed a couple or three. Striker doesn't have Reed's speed, though.

Mace
05-08-2016, 06:12 PM
Ed Redd is 5'11" and played at 200 lbs. Striker may have to shed a couple or three. Striker doesn't have Reed's speed, though.

Another good read from buildingtheherd....might be thinking nickel safety even sometimes.

Aside from basic team communication, Rex Ryan’s defenses have put their opponents in sub-optimal situations by eliminating their rushing attack. He’ll squeeze his defenders closer to the line of scrimmage and use constant pre-snap movement, so his defenders can’t declare their intentions until the last second.

This is a big reason why Ryan’s defenses have often featured bigger strong safeties that sacrifice some athleticism for downhill power that play extensively in the box (think LaRon Landry, Kerry Rhodes, Yeremiah Bell, etc.), while using his free safety about 25-yards off the line of scrimmage as a last line of defense.

http://buildingtheherd.com/film-room/breaking-down-safety-play-and-coverages-in-rex-ryans-hybrid-defense/

YardRat
05-08-2016, 06:21 PM
He’ll squeeze his defenders closer to the line of scrimmage and use constant pre-snap movement, so his defenders can’t declare their intentions until the last second.

Yeah, unfortunately his defenders can't declare their intentions because they are confused about what their intentions are themselves.

I can see Striker playing that type of role in third down/obvious passing situations though.

Mace
05-08-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, unfortunately his defenders can't declare their intentions because they are confused about what their intentions are themselves.

I can see Striker playing that type of role in third down/obvious passing situations though.

I think Striker can be as easily confused as upper level draft talent like Cravens, yes.

I'm at the point though where I'm more excited about the season ahead than cranky about the last one or deficient status quo. Seems like the time, to me anyway to be a little optimistic about how things could be if they all work.

I read somewhere, and I believe it, that Gronkowski and Striker are the two likeliest fa's to win jobs.

YardRat
05-08-2016, 06:41 PM
I think Striker can be as easily confused as upper level draft talent like Cravens, yes.

I'm at the point though where I'm more excited about the season ahead than cranky about the last one or deficient status quo. Seems like the time, to me anyway to be a little optimistic about how things could be if they all work.

I read somewhere, and I believe it, that Gronkowski and Striker are the two likeliest fa's to win jobs.

Could be...Gronk doesn't have much competition and Striker could really fill two spots...fifth safety and seventh/eighth LBer. I'm rooting for Zimmer too.

Mace
05-08-2016, 06:57 PM
Could be...Gronk doesn't have much competition and Striker could really fill two spots...fifth safety and seventh/eighth LBer. I'm rooting for Zimmer too.

Hey, come on now. They have atm, 3 real lb's likely set in stone. Brown, Brown, & Ragland, and 2 safeties Aaron, and Graham, Blanton maybe the 3rd. If one hybrid can back up both and play special teams best....

DraftBoy
05-09-2016, 03:51 AM
The issue with Striker was both his size and lack of elite level athleticism. The NFL will overlook your size concerns if you have elite level athleticism. Striker isn't a guy whose going to be able to get sideline to sideline and prevent the corner from being turned or a guy whose going to be able to flip his hips and cover the best TE's down the field.

However, what Striker does do extremely well is anticipate and diagnose. Striker has a nose for the football and knows how to watch the movement at the line to find or anticipate the hole and fill it. This was something London Fletcher was always good at and it makes a lot of sense as a comparison for him. One big difference between Striker and Fletcher though is that Striker is a big hitter who loves to lower the boom while Fletcher was a better tackler. For all the people who yelled about Fletcher's high tackle numbers being 3-5 yards past the LOS that one thing we could count on was that if he got his hands on him the player was going down. With Striker he will miss some tackles looking for the big hit or by just having sloppy technique. He's gotta clean that up to stick on the team.

stuckincincy
05-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I thought the same thing, but Lambert was a little light in the ass for those days. His length made up for his alleged lack of weight.

I lived in PGH while Lambert was playing. He was flanked by Russell and Ham. Steel Curtain in front of him. Stellar DBs behind him.

IMO he took cheap shots with regularity, and got his comeuppance when he squared up against FB Pete Johnson in the open field and got launched into the cheap seats.

stuckincincy
05-09-2016, 10:21 AM
The issue with Striker was both his size and lack of elite level athleticism. The NFL will overlook your size concerns if you have elite level athleticism. Striker isn't a guy whose going to be able to get sideline to sideline and prevent the corner from being turned or a guy whose going to be able to flip his hips and cover the best TE's down the field.

However, what Striker does do extremely well is anticipate and diagnose. Striker has a nose for the football and knows how to watch the movement at the line to find or anticipate the hole and fill it. This was something London Fletcher was always good at and it makes a lot of sense as a comparison for him. One big difference between Striker and Fletcher though is that Striker is a big hitter who loves to lower the boom while Fletcher was a better tackler. For all the people who yelled about Fletcher's high tackle numbers being 3-5 yards past the LOS that one thing we could count on was that if he got his hands on him the player was going down. With Striker he will miss some tackles looking for the big hit or by just having sloppy technique. He's gotta clean that up to stick on the team.

Fletcher was a fine player. I recall the bags of garbage he got tossed at him on Bills' fan sites - the tossers never considered that the DL performance was a factor, and also by the very definition... a linebacker backs the line...

Perhaps this Striker chap may be able to land a gig on the PS as a prospect.

Saratoga Slim
05-09-2016, 10:49 AM
Graziano's in Phoenix (Glendale?), GREAT buffalo wings- breaded. Blew my mind, cause I usually couldn't even touch breaded wings. they're usually disgusting. Not only were they breaded and with good buffalo wing sauce, but they came with bleu cheese and celery. it wasn't a fluke either. I remember having them several times when in phoenix, great every time.

and yeah, you need to eat them hot. else they do get a little bit soggy.

Another trick regarding defeating sog if you're doing takeout: cut a corner out of the top of the styrafoam container so the steam can vent. Major difference in crisp retention.

- - - Updated - - -

And....we are officially in off-season mode LOL

DraftBoy
05-09-2016, 11:25 AM
Another trick regarding defeating sog if you're doing takeout: cut a corner out of the top of the styrafoam container so the steam can vent. Major difference in crisp retention.

Started doing that with wings from a few places down here that I can stand and the difference is incredible. You lose very little heat but retain all the crispness.

swiper
05-09-2016, 04:50 PM

You need to check their weight as they were coming out of college. All LBers put on weight in the pros.

swiper
05-09-2016, 04:55 PM
I lived in PGH while Lambert was playing. He was flanked by Russell and Ham. Steel Curtain in front of him. Stellar DBs behind him.

IMO he took cheap shots with regularity, and got his comeuppance when he squared up against FB Pete Johnson in the open field and got launched into the cheap seats.

Doesn't matter where you live. What matters is you are a Bungles fan. That was one hit. Jack Lambert is easily one of the top ten inside LBers of all time.

The Jokeman
05-11-2016, 07:44 PM

So he sounds like better suited to be a Safety than a LB but he if he lacks elite athleticism he probably too slow to be in the secondary so maybe he can be an in the box 8 man front Safety/LB hybrid that can also be used on an occasion blitz. Great story but to me the UDFA to keep an eye on is Zimmer if he can play at 308 lbs.

Mace
05-11-2016, 07:55 PM
So he sounds like better suited to be a Safety than a LB but he if he lacks elite athleticism he probably too slow to be in the secondary so maybe he can be an in the box 8 man front Safety/LB hybrid that can also be used on an occasion blitz. Great story but to me the UDFA to keep an eye on is Zimmer if he can play at 308 lbs.

I can't see Zimmer doing that well at safety, myself, though maybe better than Kyle.

Night Train
05-12-2016, 05:35 AM
Graziano's in Phoenix (Glendale?), GREAT buffalo wings- breaded.

Then they're not Buffalo wings.

Ingtar33
05-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Then they're not Buffalo wings.

I would have agreed with you had I not had them.

Beebe
05-13-2016, 12:51 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yCzw5B-keO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Cyrus Kouandjio hates this pick up, Eric hurt his Draft.