PDA

View Full Version : Bears' first-round picks in the fold

BillsFever
07-25-2003, 10:35 AM
BOURBONNAIS, Ill. - Negotiating into the wee hours on the first day of training camp, the Bears agreed to terms with first-round draft picks Michael Haynes on a six-year contract and Rex Grossman on a five-year deal early Friday.

Haynes, the 14th overall selection from Penn State, is expected to be part of a three-man rotation at defensive end where he'll spell starters Phillip Daniels and Alex Brown. The 6-3, 281-pounder led the Big Ten with 15 sacks while compiling 81 tackles last season.

"Michael's going to have an opportunity to play early," said Bears coach Dick Jauron. "We anticipate it, we're counting on it to a degree. How early depends on quickly he comes along.

"He's a complete player. Although he led the Big Ten in sacks, I don't think anybody sees him as a bullet up the field. But he's got the size, strength and the speed to give a tackle problems. How quickly he can learn that from our players and from (defensive line coaches) Larry (Brooks) and Richard (Dent), we'll have to see, but he'll have every chance to do it."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/index.cfm?cont_id=195000&right_include=/includes/dsp_bearsnews_module.cfm&include=&show_headline=true

The_Philster
07-25-2003, 03:14 PM
I'm still ticked at them getting Haynes..that's who I was hoping for. They announced it shortly ater Jaded and I got to the draft party...not good news to start things off. :down: