PDA

View Full Version : Tsn offseason game plan

JATMtheJATM
05-12-2016, 02:27 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/off-season-game-plan-buffalo-sabres-1.488687

I largely agree.

JATMtheJATM
05-12-2016, 03:11 PM
I want chad Johnson back. And I want okposo. I think stamkos will end up in toronto.

YardRat
05-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Good article.

OpIv37
05-12-2016, 04:17 PM
Can't argue with much of that.

Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart as a second line almost doesn't seem fair to the competition, although I'd probably swap Kane and Ennis because that line could get pushed around by more physical teams. I really think Moulson needs to go before this team will be a real competitor. A major goal of the rebuild is to get rid of guys like him.

I could go either way on Gionta. His leadership could be beneficial again on such a young team, and ROR could have another year to grow into the captain role, but his hockey skills have deteriorated enough that I wouldn't miss him. We can find leadership elsewhere.

JATMtheJATM
05-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Can't argue with much of that.

Ennis-Eichel-Reinhart as a second line almost doesn't seem fair to the competition, although I'd probably swap Kane and Ennis because that line could get pushed around by more physical teams. I really think Moulson needs to go before this team will be a real competitor. A major goal of the rebuild is to get rid of guys like him.

I could go either way on Gionta. His leadership could be beneficial again on such a young team, and ROR could have another year to grow into the captain role, but his hockey skills have deteriorated enough that I wouldn't miss him. We can find leadership elsewhere.

I felt gios production was good enough as a secondary scoring production guy. Yeah he's not the gio he was and will likely deteriorate further, but he was good enough.

mightysimi
05-13-2016, 10:52 AM
I want chad Johnson back. And I want okposo. I think stamkos will end up in toronto.

Pretty big slam on Kane in there. I think Okposo is a product of Tavares. Buyer beware!! I'm with you on Stamkos. Having the top pick sealed it in my opinion.

JATMtheJATM
05-13-2016, 10:59 AM
Pretty big slam on Kane in there. I think Okposo is a product of Tavares. Buyer beware!! I'm with you on Stamkos. Having the top pick sealed it in my opinion.

What's shocking is kane gets great opportunities and has a great shot. But can't bury it? That's an oddity for sure.

Still, he's a really good all around player, so a lower shooting percentage I can deal with.

mightysimi
05-13-2016, 03:13 PM
What's shocking is kane gets great opportunities and has a great shot. But can't bury it? That's an oddity for sure.

Still, he's a really good all around player, so a lower shooting percentage I can deal with.

Still young too. He gets in good shooting positions but if he had a better one timer, he would bury more. Still 20 goals is good but he can clearly improve on that.

JATMtheJATM
05-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Still young too. He gets in good shooting positions but if he had a better one timer, he would bury more. Still 20 goals is good but he can clearly improve on that.

Last year was his lowest career shooting percentage. I'm confident it'll rise closer to his career average. Even if it went up 1 percent from last year with the same number of shots,that's 3 more goals. And 3 more goals can be a big help

mightysimi
05-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Last year was his lowest career shooting percentage. I'm confident it'll rise closer to his career average. Even if it went up 1 percent from last year with the same number of shots,that's 3 more goals. And 3 more goals can be a big help

True but you are paying him and traded a bunch for him to put up only 23.

JATMtheJATM
05-13-2016, 06:14 PM
True but you are paying him and traded a bunch for him to put up only 23.

In today's NHL? that ain't bad

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2016, 08:38 AM
The guy loses some credibility with his depth chart having Pysyk behind Bogo and Gorges.

And bringing Andre Benoit back.

JATMtheJATM
05-14-2016, 10:11 AM
I'd bring him back. For rochester

mightysimi
05-15-2016, 11:11 AM
In today's NHL? that ain't bad

It isn't bad but be honest and tell me that all you were hoping for was a 20 goal scorer when you traded 4 players and a 1st round pick for him and Bogosian.

JATMtheJATM
05-15-2016, 11:25 AM
It isn't bad but be honest and tell me that all you were hoping for was a 20 goal scorer when you traded 4 players and a 1st round pick for him and Bogosian.

I'm hoping for 800 goals a season. But let's be realistic. I want him to fit in for a team. Be a piece of the puzzle that helps the sabres win. He's a scoring threat. Not a top notch threat, but a threat. Add that to his tenacity and willingness to throw the body around, and a decent Passer IMO, and you got a guy who can help you win even when he's not on the scoresheet.

I'll take it

Dr. Lecter
05-15-2016, 12:06 PM

One of the players was a pending UFA and 2 others were prospects that might or might not turn out.

mightysimi
05-15-2016, 12:46 PM
One of the players was a pending UFA and 2 others were prospects that might or might not turn out.

I thought the spin doctors faded out in the 90's lol.

JATMtheJATM
05-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Bogo, skill wise, huge step down from myers. But sadly, myers is jeckel and hyde. Lackadaisical and lolly gagging one minute, and a beast and dominating force the next. I haven't kept up to him recently though. I did love myers and hoped he would find his game consistently

mightysimi
05-16-2016, 08:35 AM
Bogo, skill wise, huge step down from myers. But sadly, myers is jeckel and hyde. Lackadaisical and lolly gagging one minute, and a beast and dominating force the next. I haven't kept up to him recently though. I did love myers and hoped he would find his game consistently

He has played well. Playing top line minutes against the best competition. He was a plus player but you are right doesn't use that huge body enough. He should be smoking guys. Hopefully Big Buff rubs off on him and he starts throwing his weight around. Armia played 43 games mostly in a 3rd line checking roll and he played decent in that role. I think good enough to have him on the next year's squad at least. The writing is on the wall with Stafford though as all of the younger, cheaper guys are coming in behind him. He will probably be playing 3rd line - 2nd line depending on injuries and how well Laine plays. I'm interested in Lemieux but I bet he plays a year in the A first.

JATMtheJATM
05-16-2016, 08:52 AM
He has played well. Playing top line minutes against the best competition. He was a plus player but you are right doesn't use that huge body enough. He should be smoking guys. Hopefully Big Buff rubs off on him and he starts throwing his weight around. Armia played 43 games mostly in a 3rd line checking roll and he played decent in that role. I think good enough to have him on the next year's squad at least. The writing is on the wall with Stafford though as all of the younger, cheaper guys are coming in behind him. He will probably be playing 3rd line - 2nd line depending on injuries and how well Laine plays. I'm interested in Lemieux but I bet he plays a year in the A first.

I think we gave up too much in thay trade honestly

casdhf
05-16-2016, 09:18 AM
We did get the 2nd for McGinn right? I think he played in half the playoff games thus far.

JATMtheJATM
05-16-2016, 09:36 AM
We did get the 2nd for McGinn right? I think he played in half the playoff games thus far.

Third. The ducks had to reach the conference finals I think

Dr. Who
05-16-2016, 10:08 AM
Third. The ducks had to reach the conference finals I think

You're correct. It's a third.

casdhf
05-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Oops. I thought it was the Sharks for some reason. My bad.

JATMtheJATM
05-16-2016, 10:53 AM
Oops. I thought it was the Sharks for some reason. My bad.

In that respect, I wish it was. I'd love to see mcginn come back this summer.

mightysimi
05-17-2016, 10:22 AM
I think we gave up too much in thay trade honestly

I think it will always appear that way until/if Kane becomes a 30-40 goal scorer yearly. Then I think it evens out.

Dr. Lecter
05-17-2016, 10:24 AM
It also depends on what Lemieux does.

JATMtheJATM
05-17-2016, 11:14 AM
It also depends on what Lemieux does.

Wish we could have kept him..

mightysimi
05-17-2016, 02:19 PM
Wish we could have kept him..

He looked alright in junior. Should have a roll as an energy/pest guy.

JATMtheJATM
05-17-2016, 04:55 PM
He looked alright in junior. Should have a roll as an energy/pest guy.

I think he'll put up points too.

JATMtheJATM
05-31-2016, 07:27 PM
Sounds like zemgus is unhappy in buffalo. No wonder many rumblings about moving him has been going

mightysimi
06-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Sounds like zemgus is unhappy in buffalo. No wonder many rumblings about moving him has been going

He's got to see the writing on the wall I think.

JATMtheJATM
06-01-2016, 08:39 AM
He's got to see the writing on the wall I think.

Well he didn't develop last year and murray wants to add a PP qb. I think zemgus is a bargainingchip and he knows it

trapezeus
06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
its a bummer that girgs didn't really fit into the bylsma model. if he had the goals he did under Nolan, the sabres could have been a lot closer than 12 points from 8. they needed about 20 goals and if girgs and moulson had produced just an average level, they could have gotten in. I really like girgs and his effort, but in the second half of the season, he was bouncing off of guys when he body checked them. he just looked to struggle mightily. kind of makes that two 1st round draft class a huge bust if he goes and the return isn't something equally interesting.

gebobs
06-01-2016, 03:09 PM

Last I heard he wants to be back in Tampa but that could just be cheap talk.