Convince me that the FO didn't intentionally tank this season.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Convince me that the FO didn't intentionally tank this season.....

Ok, maybe "intentionally tank" is harsh and "completely dismiss" is more accurate.... but....

During last season's spending, they put us dangerously close to the cap knowing two OL starters would be FA's. They basically knew we would be EXTREMELY limited in what we could do in FA because of the cap situation, and if they didn't, they should all be fired for cause because the Internet is loaded with amateur "capologists" who knew this would happen.

On top of that, they take a draft pick with a known injury who will miss half the season. Even if he does play, he won't be effective because a) he will be coming in as a rookie mid-season with limited conditioning and b) the Bills will be out of contention before he sets foot on the field. Don't get me wrong- I didn't know much about him before the draft, but every single thing I've read about him has been positive and the overwhelming majority of the sports media has taken a time out from their usual "pick-on-the-easy-target" mentality to compliment the pick. I think he will be a contributor that justifies the pick in time.

That being said, the FO put us in a position where we could not improve via FA because of the salary cap. That means our next best chance to improve was our first round draft pick, and they take a guy with a known injury issue despite not being able to improve in FA. And we were 8-8 last year so clearly, improvement is needed.

Meanwhile, this team is going to have an incredible amount of cap space available next off-season. Give me an argument as to how the FO did not completely write off the 2016 season, because I see nothing to suggest they are actually trying to win this year.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Convince me that the FO didn't intentionally tank this season.....

It would make me very ill if this team is tossing this season aside and looking forward to Year 3 of Wrecks already. I can't see them ditching a season in Year 2 unless they were committed to keeping him and his Clown Posse around for Years 3 and 4, and that would suck.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
      Haha...yeah you think so ?
      • Mar 2013

Well, I personally think you're mistaking purposeful for inadequate.

I think they thought they were contenders with a fierce D after Schwartz, and Mr. Charisma Ryan would take them over the top led by that D and Roman's rushing O spearheaded by Shady with the steal Tyrod swiping games from the uneducated. We had Whaley's O-line "loaded" with young talent ready to emerge, snaked Clay from the Dolphins, and were clever enough to grab Harvin to frost the cake.

Pegula's and Whaley didn't think they needed to add much more.

It goes back to the Wilson arguments. Was he doing it on purpose or just not any good at it ?

I think they just weren't any good at "the plan".

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
        It would make me very ill if this team is tossing this season aside and looking forward to Year 3 of Wrecks already. I can't see them ditching a season in Year 2 unless they were committed to keeping him and his Clown Posse around for Years 3 and 4, and that would suck.
        Clearly they made an effort in year 1. It didn't lead to results. But the nature of my question is this: what did they do in year 2? What options did they even give themselves in year 2 with their choices in year 1? Last year, they made an effort, even if I didn't agree with all the decisions. Next year, the cap space gives them a ton of options. This year, what options to improve did they even leave themselves and what did they do to get better in practical terms? I just don't see it on any level.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
          Well, I personally think you're mistaking purposeful for inadequate.

I think they thought they were contenders with a fierce D after Schwartz, and Mr. Charisma Ryan would take them over the top led by that D and Roman's rushing O spearheaded by Shady with the steal Tyrod swiping games from the uneducated. We had Whaley's O-line "loaded" with young talent ready to emerge, snaked Clay from the Dolphins, and were clever enough to grab Harvin to frost the cake.

Pegula's and Whaley didn't think they needed to add much more.

It goes back to the Wilson arguments. Was he doing it on purpose or just not any good at it ?

I think they just weren't any good at "the plan".
          That's an even scarier thought. It means we are on Pegula's Sabres plan: 2 years of utter mediocrity, 2 painful years of breaking it down, and a possibility of competing in year 5.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
            Administrator
            • Jul 2002

If the rumors are true that Whaley's job is at risk because of this injury mess then I think you have to consider that they didn't intentionally tank but may be completely incompetent.
            COMING SOON...
            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Goobylal
              • Jan 2004

I think they were expecting Glenn to sign before FA, giving them the $8.5M in cap room (including rookie pool) they have now. But all is not lost. Some good players will be cut after June 1st. If they can extend Gilmore, they'll free up another $4-5M. Hopefully a good RT becomes available. If not, I don't see a major problem with going with Miller and Mills at RG and RT since Miller won't be an injured rookie anymore and Mills will have been with the team all off-season, not joining the team 2/3 of the way in.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                That's an even scarier thought. It means we are on Pegula's Sabres plan: 2 years of utter mediocrity, 2 painful years of breaking it down, and a possibility of competing in year 5.
                Yeah, I know. Pegula's think in terms of hockey development time, imho.

Comment

• Goobylal
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                  If the rumors are true that Whaley's job is at risk because of this injury mess then I think you have to consider that they didn't intentionally tank but may be completely incompetent.
                  Lawson played with his injury throughout college and excelled. I fully believe they thought he could play his rookie year and then get surgery. When just a tackling dummy caused him problems, they realized they had to get it fixed immediately.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Goobylal View Post
                    Lawson played with his injury throughout college and excelled. I fully believe they thought he could play his rookie year and then get surgery. When just a tackling dummy caused him problems, they realized they had to get it fixed immediately.
                    Then multiple people should be fired for incompetence. There is no way on earth you're going to convince anybody that his shoulder, which multiple teams flagged in the draft process, was just fine until he hit a friggin dummy and tweaked it. Either it was all bull**** and they were covering their ass from the moment the pick was made or they are just idiots who should all be canned.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Mace
                      • Mar 2013

Then multiple people should be fired for incompetence. There is no way on earth you're going to convince anybody that his shoulder, which multiple teams flagged in the draft process, was just fine until he hit a friggin dummy and tweaked it. Either it was all bull**** and they were covering their ass from the moment the pick was made or they are just idiots who should all be canned.
                      Well that about sums it up neatly.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Whaley is a walking dead man.

Rex will install his selected hand puppet GM after this season.

Comment

• Mace
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                          Whaley is a walking dead man.

Rex will install his selected hand puppet GM after this season.
                          Bet you he's not ?

Comment

• Scumbag College
                            • Oct 2002

I'm with Draftboy as far as that the story about a "bag drill" causing the injury is total horse****. This is the medical staff dropping the ball and Whaley's gamble not paying off. As much as I like what Whaley's done the past few years, this is not one of his shining moments. The one thing that might save him that after the Bills' pick, there is no one that really excited me other than Nkemdiche and Jack, both of whom come with their own red flags and question marks. Maybe a WR like Fuller with his speed would help the offense immediately, since I think teams are just going to double team Sammy on any passing down situation, but a WR taken at 19 would be met with a great deal of media and fan scorn.

I'm not quite ready to throw in the towel on 2016 yet, since we are 2+ months away from the start of Training Camp. I think losing Shaq is a blow, but Manny Lawson has quietly been a solid player in this defense both pre and post Rex and I think starting Manny this year and working Shaq in once he's 100% is not a death sentence on the 2016 season.
                            Last edited by Scumbag College; 05-17-2016, 08:01 PM.
                            Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Goobylal
                              • Jan 2004

He played through college with the injury and played well. Furthermore, it's a shoulder which should be repaired to like-new, if not allow him to play better. Certainly it'd not ideal, but if he becomes a stud, who cares if he missed a month's worth of games as a rookie? I mean it's not like they drafted a guy who still has foot drop 3-1/2 months after having surgery.

Comment

Working...
                              X