PDA

View Full Version : TBN Sully on Lawson

Mace
05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Predictably, he's displeased. Makes some good points, but I'm feeling too apathetic at this point. It's offseason reading material that vents displeasure.

Why would anyone think that the coach and general manager were at odds with one another? The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that Whaley and Ryan were meant for each other, and for this bumbling organization.

http://buckyandsully.buffalonews.com/2016/05/18/whaley-ryan-share-the-blame-for-gamble-on-lawson/

OpIv37
05-18-2016, 06:38 PM
It's the Russ Brandon culture.

sahlensguy
05-18-2016, 07:54 PM
For those that couldn't stomach reading to the end:

It gets tiresome, hearing how Whaley is willing to roll the dice and Ryan is ready to take on the world. With every compulsive gambler, there’s something hollow beneath the bravado. They all wind up losers in the end.

What a circus.

Night Train
05-18-2016, 08:01 PM
It's actually the Sully culture.

swiper
05-19-2016, 03:46 AM
Poor JS. Nobody likes him when he criticizes. Nobody likes him when he takes it too easy on OBD and writes fluff. Nobody ever liked him.

Historian
05-19-2016, 04:35 AM
...after the Bills made another heroic run to 8-8.

:rofl:

YardRat
05-19-2016, 04:39 AM
I know things are really bad when I start agreeing with Jerry Sullivan.

SpikedLemonade
05-19-2016, 06:07 AM
Jerry is right again.

trapezeus
05-19-2016, 06:10 AM
jerry is a hack. he is just a critic and rarely has anything to say other than the other guys didn't do it right. and shame on the bills to constantly do things wrong so that he seems clairvoyant. the bills have a losing culture and it largely is on the shoulders of russ Brandon. and until he leaves entirely, the bills are destined to have 7-9 seasons and a handful of exciting 9-7 seasons sprinkled inthere. the old guard has to leave

GreedoII
05-19-2016, 06:42 AM
Russ Brandon is still one of the issues here to this day.....

Bill Cody
05-19-2016, 07:47 AM
Jerry is right again.

I know but reading his **** is like having a house fly walking back and forth across the window when you're trying to drink your coffee. He just has that arrogant edge to him. I'm telling you the Bills could be the Patriots and he'd still be twisting the knife every chance he got.

Lone Stranger
05-19-2016, 08:50 AM
Regardless of your personal opinion of Sullivan, and I am not a fan of his, he makes solid points.

TacklingDummy
05-19-2016, 09:58 AM
Jerry is right again.

Like me, Jerry is right 9 out of 10 times. People just hate the truth.

trapezeus
05-19-2016, 10:05 AM
its easy to just simply be critical of the team. its hard to take a stance to say, "these moves make sense." "these moves don't." Jerry may be saying the truth, but he isn't saying much else. and as a reporter or an opinion journalist, he should do more than take cheap shots consistently. thebills front office has been messing up for almost 20 years. maybe at this point, he can have some articles about what he would do differently. or what he would think it takes for this roster we get stuck with to succeed. he isn't capable of it and that's why he gets hate.

trapezeus
05-19-2016, 10:06 AM
most bills fan rue the day we didn't take matt Barkley.

swiper
05-19-2016, 10:27 AM
its easy to just simply be critical of the team. its hard to take a stance to say, "these moves make sense." "these moves don't." Jerry may be saying the truth, but he isn't saying much else. and as a reporter or an opinion journalist, he should do more than take cheap shots consistently. thebills front office has been messing up for almost 20 years. maybe at this point, he can have some articles about what he would do differently. or what he would think it takes for this roster we get stuck with to succeed. he isn't capable of it and that's why he gets hate.

Listen, if he were reporting like this on the Giants, the Steelers, or almost any other team I would agree. But this is the Bills. Their ineptitude trumps all in the NFL, so I can't get too down on vocal critics. Your efforts (and mine and everyone else's for that matter) should be on OBD.

trapezeus
05-19-2016, 01:17 PM
I am no bills apologist. frankly I'm stunned how people consistently defend Brandon. "oh he doesn't make the decisions." yet he's in the draft room, he talks about how he works with the pegulas and makes the coaching selections before them. he was the GM for a period of time. he is the embodiment of poor culture. a complete hack out of his element fails everywhere, and gets promoted. What does say to people who perform and get let go? it says that it simply does not matter how you perform. it's who you know. Performance is secondary.

Brandon gets credit for marketing football in buffalo. buffalonians love their football that they'll support this moron simply to keep the team. he's done one good thing and that was the last lease that made it hard for the team to be sold to a vulture. The team will fail until he is gone.

and while I think the pegula's hearts in the right place, their inability to learn from the sabres purchase is maddening. they let darcy continue to ruin the team until they got to a period to accept losing for 2 straight years. this is coming for the bills. we had to take 2 years of utter futility before we know rex is a poor game day coach.

That all being said, Jerry Sullivan will always be this guy. he will always just poke holes on a sinking ship. his football acumen is suspect and his combativeness is wasted. id don't need Sullivan's unimaginative articles to tell me the bills power structure is in shambles.

swiper
05-19-2016, 04:25 PM
Performance is secondary. And that is the problem. Brandon is an expert at glossing over that.

trapezeus
05-20-2016, 06:52 AM
we should put a marketing campaign as a grass roots effort. we'll ensure the bills the most season tickets sold if they can russ Brandon. start a website and track the people who would buy season tickets the second russ is let go from buffalo sports. we get more than 60k in signatures, pegula entertainment should be sent the link.

DesertFox24
05-20-2016, 08:57 AM
Whaley and his scouts have drafted some very good football players. I am not a rex fan and said it the day we hired him. That said what you guys want is a complete tear down and rebuild, yet you want to complain about the playoff drought. A complete tear down new Front Office will mean getting ride of players we have that are solid and help us because they do not fit what the new front office or coaching staff wants. In summary if you guys want to end playoff drought team needs to stay the course.

DesertFox24
05-20-2016, 08:58 AM
All that said I never see Rex or Tyrod winning a super bowl or even getting there but I can see them getting to the playoffs soon. Point is if you clean house prepare for 3 more years of no playoffs.

swiper
05-20-2016, 03:24 PM
All that said I never see Rex or Tyrod winning a super bowl or even getting there but I can see them getting to the playoffs soon. Point is if you clean house prepare for 3 more years of no playoffs.

Don't tell me you'd be surprised to see that if those two produced 2 more 7-9 seasons.

TacklingDummy
05-20-2016, 05:19 PM
There's going to be 3+ years more right now. Clean house now so there isn't 6 more years of no playoffs.

justasportsfan
05-20-2016, 05:46 PM
Like you were right about coaches not being much of a factor ? Rex vs. Schwartz proved you right?

:snicker:

DynaPaul
05-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Sully could do it a little better if he used the compliment sandwich technique more. COMPLIMENT - CRITICISM - COMPLIMENT. Instead all his columns are CRITICISM - CRITICISM - CRITICISM. I have to admit that he hits on those criticisms more than he misses but man, it sure does get depressing. It's like being around that one co-worker who's never happy and complains all day.

swiper
05-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Sully could do it a little better if he used the compliment sandwich technique more. COMPLIMENT - CRITICISM - COMPLIMENT. Instead all his columns are CRITICISM - CRITICISM - CRITICISM. I have to admit that he hits on those criticisms more than he misses but man, it sure does get depressing. It's like being around that one co-worker who's never happy and complains all day.

You're making me rethink what a ***** sandwich really is.

YardRat
05-21-2016, 10:05 AM
Whaley and his scouts have drafted some very good football players. I am not a rex fan and said it the day we hired him. That said what you guys want is a complete tear down and rebuild, yet you want to complain about the playoff drought. A complete tear down new Front Office will mean getting ride of players we have that are solid and help us because they do not fit what the new front office or coaching staff wants. In summary if you guys want to end playoff drought team needs to stay the course.

It didn't take a complete tear down to take a middlin' defense to one of the more dominant in the league in a season. When Marrone bailed, all they had to do was achieve three things to improve on 2014 and most likely make the playoffs in '15...

1--Hire a head coach that wasn't a egotistical buffoon.
2--Improve at QB.
3--Improve the offensive line.

2 (Taylor) and 3 (Incognito, Miller) were accomplished.

Amazing how completely ****ing up #1 could have such disastrous results, isn't it?

DetDannyWilliams
05-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Sunday nights after the news on WGRZ does a sports talk show called "Sports Talk Sunday" which is a sports show like Sports Extra used to be and is sponsored by who else the Buffalo News and is hosted by Channel 2's Adam Benigini and is always joined in studio by Bucky Gleason and Jerry Sullivan and you think he writes bad columns in the BN just watch him on TV he's more negative when he's on television. Nagative Sullivan is unbearable to read and unbearable to watch.

mdcas22
05-22-2016, 02:37 PM
It didn't take a complete tear down to take a middlin' defense to one of the more dominant in the league in a season. When Marrone bailed, all they had to do was achieve three things to improve on 2014 and most likely make the playoffs in '15...

1--Hire a head coach that wasn't a egotistical buffoon.
2--Improve at QB.
3--Improve the offensive line.

2 (Taylor) and 3 (Incognito, Miller) were accomplished.

Amazing how completely ****ing up #1 could have such disastrous results, isn't it?

hine sight is 20/20 and if they had a do over I'm sure they hire Schwartz instead of the buffoon. your right all's they needed to do was improve the o-line and the QB position instead Rex said it up front, he said he was gonna go down his way and the process has started. the Bills will be lucky if they reach 7 wins this year.

YardRat
05-22-2016, 03:18 PM
hine sight is 20/20 and if they had a do over I'm sure they hire Schwartz instead of the buffoon. your right all's they needed to do was improve the o-line and the QB position instead Rex said it up front, he said he was gonna go down his way and the process has started. the Bills will be lucky if they reach 7 wins this year.

The problem is it isn't hindsight...they had a dominant defense, solid special teams, and decent talent at skill positions (except for the aforementioned QB) sitting in their laps, or handed to them on a silver platter in the Pegs' case. Not to mention the hired candidate already had on his resume driving one team into the ground. The facts were all there, even shlubs on a message board saw that.

Jry44
05-23-2016, 07:43 AM
So he has a torn labrum. The main that that isn't known is where the tear is, and how severe of a tear it was. Two huge variables that have an impact on recovery time. Regardless, it's not a career threatening injury. So he misses some games.... there's a chance that any player can tear a labrum and miss games. We should pass on a potentially elite pass rusher because he might miss the first 6 to 8 games of his rookie season? Just relax....

Victor7
05-23-2016, 09:42 AM
Hard to argue with the truth. Sure Sully is an insufferable *****. But that doesn't mean he's wrong. Specially on this one. This team gets NO benefit of the doubt with how bad they do year in and year out.

gebobs
05-23-2016, 12:15 PM
I'll give even money that Lawson doesn't play more than 10 downs this year.

trapezeus
05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
so staying the course with a front office management team that hasn't changed in 16 years, needs another 2-3 years to get it right? that's the logic?

Tear it down and every other team turns it around in 1-2 years. we are the only fanbase that constantly buys the 3 year rebuild nonsense

swiper
05-23-2016, 03:19 PM
so staying the course with a front office management team that hasn't changed in 16 years, needs another 2-3 years to get it right? that's the logic?

Tear it down and every other team turns it around in 1-2 years. we are the only fanbase that constantly buys the 3 year rebuild nonsense

They gave Dick Jauron (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Jauron#Head_coaching_record) a 4th year! LOL

Mace
05-23-2016, 05:48 PM

We're one of the few teams that never manages to finish rebuilding the team before another part of it needs rebuilding again for whatever reason.

swiper
06-05-2016, 03:30 PM
We're one of the few teams that never manages to finish rebuilding the team before another part of it needs rebuilding again for whatever reason.

Rebuilding usually restarts after a play-off run.

Mace
06-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Rebuilding usually restarts after a play-off run.

We always have a run at the playoffs until mathematically eliminated.

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:56 PM
Doesn't have to be that way, didnt have to be that way last year

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:57 PM
What's a positive to take from this **** show organization?

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:59 PM
The problem is it isn't hindsight...they had a dominant defense, solid special teams, and decent talent at skill positions (except for the aforementioned QB) sitting in their laps, or handed to them on a silver platter in the Pegs' case. Not to mention the hired candidate already had on his resume driving one team into the ground. The facts were all there, even shlubs on a message board saw that.
Other problem is that we must grade people on the ****ty decisions they make, you know, not having foresight

Arm of Harm
06-09-2016, 01:24 AM

The root cause of the Bills' playoff drought is the incompetence of the post-Polian front offices, and (often) the incompetence of post-Wade Phillips coaching staffs. Continuity or "staying the course" are meaningless concepts, until that root cause has been eradicated.

Doug Whaley is not better than any other post-Polian GM at evaluating QB talent. I also have concerns about some of his other decisions, such as Kujo. His management of the salary cap has been less than stellar. On the other hand, he's made some good decisions too. His time as general manager has been a mixed bag: some successes, some failures, not necessarily a dramatic improvement upon the performance of other post-Polian GMs.

The goal shouldn't be to just barely squeak into the playoffs, only to be eliminated in the wildcard or divisional round. The goal should be to win the Super Bowl--to rip the Lombardi Trophy from Bill Belichick's hands. That goal will not be accomplished with Doug Whaley at general manager or Rex Ryan as head coach.

Topas
06-09-2016, 06:11 AM
I am not a huge Whaley fan and he made quite a few mistakes in my book. But I think his rep is worse than it should be.

He provided the players for a top 5 D in 2014 and a top 10 O in 2016. That is pretty good and you should be able to get at least past the first round with a top 10 and a top 5 unit.
Unfortunately we had bad coaching on one unit each year and never managed to haev two good units in the same year.
Of course Whaley had a huge say in the coaching hires, so this is also partially his fault. I am just wondering what his rep would look like if the success of the D would have translated in 2015. everybody would praise him for turning the corner after more than 15 years of playoff drought.

swiper
06-09-2016, 04:13 PM
We always have a run at the playoffs until mathematically eliminated.

Ok Meathead.

Mace
06-09-2016, 04:53 PM
Ok Meathead.

I stunned myself with the absolute perfection and flawless, inarguable logic of that statement. I really did. I'm remarkable.