PDA

View Full Version : DT TJ Barnes to OT

Mace
05-25-2016, 04:48 PM
Why draft them when you can make them out of defensive linemen I guess. It's easy as punch.

Speaking of the offensive line, the group had a new member Tuesday. Former defensive tackle T.J. Barnes is now in an offensive lineman jersey and practicing with that position group. Ryan explained the move.

"Well, when I saw him," Ryan said when asked when he got the idea. "You've seen some conversions like that. Obviously in Buffalo you guys had it with the kid that's playing in Philly now, (Jason) Peters played tight end then you guys went to d-line and you just knew he was such a great athlete. This guy is such a big man, he's smart, a graduate of Georgia Tech so I was like, you know, let's give him a shot there. We can always move him back but let's give him a shot at o-line and see how he does. Obviously right now he looks a little lost to say the least but I'm confident. I think he's got the mental makeup for it, I think he's smart, I think he's got a great teacher, he's got two great coaches over there that are working with him on a daily basis, he's got a great room offensive line guys with Cordy Glenn, learning from a Cordy Glenn or a Richie Incognito and Eric Wood. These guys are going to try to take him under their wing as well and so we'll see how he develops."

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2016/05/buffalo_bills_otas_2016_slow_start_for_qbs_among_8_observations_from_week_1.html

YardRat
05-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Ehhh, what the hell...why not.

cookie G
05-25-2016, 05:32 PM
That's sooo 60's

Mace
05-25-2016, 05:34 PM
That's sooo 60's

Thought of you when I read the article. "Cookie is going to be displeased."

Scumbag College
05-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Right Tackle issue solved. We can address the OL next in the fifth round of the 2024 draft.

cookie G
05-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Thought of you when I read the article. "Cookie is going to be displeased."

Well of course.

I was hoping he'd be the new DT after Dareus is named Scapegoat '16 and is let go.

Mace
05-25-2016, 06:24 PM
Well of course.

I was hoping he'd be the new DT after Dareus is named Scapegoat '16 and is let go.

Yeah, I thought he'd surely have a chance at a spot on the DL, myself. Was totally inappropriate imho to compare him to Jason Peters who had Mouse McNally to work with him after being a wedge buster on ST, and having been a TE at least had some OL fundamentals to start with.

I don't know about Kromer yet, but I don't think he's a McNally.

BillsImpossible
05-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Rex has no plans of dropping him in to coverage.

HHURRICANE
05-25-2016, 08:04 PM
What's wrong with trying this? Everyone is no negative here lately.

Mace
05-25-2016, 08:34 PM

It's dumb and will take years to work even if it has a snowballs chance in hell.

If you want an offensive tackle, you're off to a better start by getting an offensive tackle, even a not good one, who is not a defensive tackle, and sort of has a better head start on being useful at the position.

You can think this is negative sure, I think it's just common sense based on practical fact.

stuckincincy
05-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Ehhh, what the hell...why not.

That's right...any port in a storm.

IlluminatusUIUC
05-25-2016, 11:31 PM

It seems like a lot of the more optimistic posters have left the board. The way people talk about this team, you'd think they won 8 games in the last three years.

It's dumb and will take years to work even if it has a snowballs chance in hell.

If you want an offensive tackle, you're off to a better start by getting an offensive tackle, even a not good one, who is not a defensive tackle, and sort of has a better head start on being useful at the position.

You can think this is negative sure, I think it's just common sense based on practical fact.

True, but the guy was roster fodder anyway. It doesn't matter if we cut him tomorrow or cut him in a few months with the OT experiment fails.

stuckincincy
05-25-2016, 11:49 PM
I'd expect the club's PR spinners will offer up a stream of jive about this and that. They need to release smoke to bury Whaley's figurative "fart in church" comments of a few days ago.

EDS
05-26-2016, 07:04 AM

I think Barnes has a very small chance to make the roster in any event, but you do have to wonder why Rex did not start this conversion two years ago when he had Barnes as a rookie.

Bill Cody
05-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Ah now I see why we didn't need to draft OL

Joe Fo Sho
05-26-2016, 09:21 AM

People see any Bills report, even one as meaningless as this one, and assume that the Bills and other fans are thinking that this is going to solve all of their problems. In actuality, this is probably just an attempt to get something out of a guy that probably won't make the team. There's nothing wrong with trying this, it's not like we're going to start Dareus at center week 1. People probably would have made the same comments if an article came out a while back that we were moving TE Jason Peters to offensive tackle.

justasportsfan
05-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Everyone is no negative here lately.

Our defense went from no. 4 to 19. OUr head coach needs players to run a scheme and now his no. 1 pick may not even be available to play.

The jets and fins are getting better.

You must love losing.

cookie G
05-26-2016, 10:24 AM
It seems like a lot of the more optimistic posters have left the board. The way people talk about this team, you'd think they won 8 games in the last three years.

And there are those who act like we're making fun of the Seahawks or Steelers.

When your 0-16 in playoff appearances and keep doing the same thing over and over, you've earned the ridicule.

True, but the guy was roster fodder anyway. It doesn't matter if we cut him tomorrow or cut him in a few months with the OT experiment fails.

Pretty much.

Eh, we were just having a little fun last night.

swiper
05-26-2016, 10:53 AM

Who in their right mind would be optimistic about this move. The guy is a pawn and will be cut, so none of it matters. It's just something for Ryan to try and distract the fans attention for a few minutes - away from complaining about how their #1 pick will be useless to them this season.

cookie G
05-26-2016, 10:55 AM
People see any Bills report, even one as meaningless as this one, and assume that the Bills and other fans are thinking that this is going to solve all of their problems.

Its not that there isn't precedent for feeling this way.

Keep in mind, this is a team that dumped both of their OT's in one season, one a Pro Bowler
and didn't attempt to replace them.....for 3 years

In the meantime, they were replaced by the likes of Kirk Chambers, Demetress Bell, Eric Pears and...idk who else, I forgot. Some guy who was cut by the Raiders, I think.

This is also the team that let Andy Levitre walk and replaced him with....a bunch of UDFA's and practice squad players.
He wasn't replaced for...3 years.

These guys have a habit of expecting the next Jason Peters to come along every year.

Which brings us to..

People probably would have made the same comments if an article came out a while back that we were moving TE Jason Peters to offensive tackle.

When Mouse McNally said he had the most potential for an OL as any he's coached, people listened. Considering he coached Anthony Munoz, and wasn't generally known for blowing hot air, most just said, its worth a shot.

Joe Fo Sho
05-26-2016, 11:19 AM
Its not that there isn't precedent for feeling this way.

Keep in mind, this is a team that dumped both of their OT's in one season, one a Pro Bowler
and didn't attempt to replace them.....for 3 years

That was a long time ago.

In the meantime, they were replaced by the likes of Kirk Chambers, Demetress Bell, Eric Pears and...idk who else, I forgot. Some guy who was cut by the Raiders, I think.

I don't know how you can forget the name of a stud like Langston Walker.

This is also the team that let Andy Levitre walk and replaced him with....a bunch of UDFA's and practice squad players.
He wasn't replaced for...3 years.

Letting Levitre walk turned out to be a good decision, not replacing him obviously was not.

These guys have a habit of expecting the next Jason Peters to come along every year.

Are you saying the Bills expect this or Bills fans? Either way, I don't really think that's the case.

Obviously the Bills have neglected the offensive line, I'd be surprised if anyone would argue otherwise. It's probably one of the top 2 reasons for our playoff drought.

This bit of teeny news only brings up those feelings for people who are still overly bitter about it, though. The guys making those decisions are long gone, bringing up old news is pointless. The average fan should look at this and be almost completely neutral about it.

When Mouse McNally said he had the most potential for an OL as any he's coached, people listened. Considering he coached Anthony Munoz, and wasn't generally known for blowing hot air, most just said, its worth a shot.

Which is exactly what people should be saying about this, it's worth a shot.

Aaron Kromer has been an offensive line coach for almost 20 years, maybe he's not a moron.

The Jokeman
05-26-2016, 12:32 PM
That's sooo 60's

Outside of the Jason Peters change mentioned we also saw a WR turn into a S with George Wilson, it's not that far fetched as am sure other teams have other examples too.

justasportsfan
05-26-2016, 02:19 PM
we're experimenting with Rex who is nothing more IMO than an excellent DC into a HC. So why not experiment with players as well?

SpikedLemonade
05-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Obviously the Bills have neglected the offensive line, I'd be surprised if anyone would argue otherwise. It's probably one of the top 2 reasons for our playoff drought.

That is 100% correct yet every 2nd month there is another idiot here who does indeed argue otherwise.

The Bills fans in general are ignorant when it comes to OL play.

Night Train
05-26-2016, 06:24 PM
He's a 4th stringer and it's basically a non-story.

But when opportunity knocks...:rolleyes:

Mace
05-26-2016, 06:26 PM
People see any Bills report, even one as meaningless as this one, and assume that the Bills and other fans are thinking that this is going to solve all of their problems. In actuality, this is probably just an attempt to get something out of a guy that probably won't make the team. There's nothing wrong with trying this, it's not like we're going to start Dareus at center week 1. People probably would have made the same comments if an article came out a while back that we were moving TE Jason Peters to offensive tackle.

I think you're just defending it for the sake of offseason sunshine.

Like I said earlier, Peters as a TE, had some OL fundamentals, and we had Mouse McNally, and Peters was an athletic freak who excelled already as a wedge buster on special teams, which was very unheard of for a man that size, TE to OL is obviously much less of a stretch than DT to OT.

On Barnes, Ryan has had a thing about him since 2013 with the Jets. Defensive guru couldn't find a defensive use for him. Bowles cut him, Ryan grabbed him again. Ryan likes the guy. Now that's fine if you have the luxury of developing him, personally, I thought Barnes might have some defensive promise myself.

OT ? Well, if you want an OT, as again, I said earlier, why not get an OT who at least has background as an OT. We do not have the luxury of luxury. Do you really think we do ? If you want a plumber do you try and train a carpenter to do your plumbing ? Just get a plumber or you're overthinking it.

Well Barnes wouldn't make the roster anyway ? Um, they're still adding Dri Archer's, they couldn't find anyone else who might at their proven position ? If Barnes shows a lick of promise, is that worth carrying that roster spot for a couple years on "lick of promise ?" Would have to be practice squad, waivers, think other teams might not notice and grab him ? Congrats, then you just wasted more time.

They need to just find good proficient football players at their proven positions, not get fancy. Get fancy when you have a perennial 10 win team. We don't.

Mr. Cynical
05-27-2016, 04:03 PM
They need to just find good proficient football players at their proven positions, not get fancy. Get fancy when you have a perennial 10 win team. We don't.

I think that's a fair point. Crappy teams try gadget ideas when they don't have sound fundamentals. Good teams try experimental ideas when they want a cherry on top of the sundae.

IlluminatusUIUC
06-09-2016, 08:17 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/08/ota-observations-rough-windy-day-rookie-qb-cardale-jones/

So much for the T.J. Barnes Experiment on offense. He has already moved back to defense after, as Rex said, Barnes was "tired of getting his butt kicked." He's a lot of man at 6-7, 345 pounds but will settle into his more natural position for training camp.

Well that was a lot of whining about nothing.

Joe Fo Sho
06-09-2016, 08:49 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/08/ota-observations-rough-windy-day-rookie-qb-cardale-jones/

Well that was a lot of whining about nothing.

It was as meaningless as some expected.

Mace
06-09-2016, 05:24 PM
It was as meaningless as some expected.

And evidently as stupid as some stated.

Joe Fo Sho
06-10-2016, 09:05 AM
And evidently as stupid as some stated.

That doesn't mean it wasn't worth trying.

I do a lot of stupid things, sometimes it turns out pretty good.

Jan Reimers
06-10-2016, 09:10 AM
Lately?