PDA

View Full Version : Rexy whacks Williams (Mario)

stuckincincy
05-31-2016, 07:14 AM
The Goodwill Ambassador speaks again:

...""Now look, with some of the comments [he made], do I wish him well? Not really," Ryan said. "But, he's on Miami. If he would have gone somewhere else, maybe. He's a good kid, but I am used to some mean mother*******ers that play out there. The Terrell Suggs, Jarrett Johnsons of the world. I screwed them, too; I had them drop [into coverage], too. Not one of them *****ed."...

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-rex-ryan-miami-dolphins-mario-williams-over-comments-he-made-last-season-052916

:drive:

TacklingDummy
05-31-2016, 07:36 AM
The problem I have is that those people Rex is comparing Mario to (Suggs, Miller) are Linebackers and Mario is a Defensive End. I don't recall seeing Bruce Smith drop in coverage.

The number one job of a defense is to put pressure on the QB. Why the **** would you have one of the best pass rushers in franchise history dropping back in coverage?

Bill Cody
05-31-2016, 07:41 AM
Shut up Rex

Mr. Miyagi
05-31-2016, 07:48 AM
It's a fair statement though. Throughout Rex's career in Baltimore and the Jets, his defense has always been very competitive and always had some Dlinemen drop into coverage occasionally, yet he still produced. So if Mario couldn't learn that system, whose fault is that?

Mace
05-31-2016, 07:54 AM
The number one job of a defense is to put pressure on the QB. Why the **** would you have one of the best pass rushers in franchise history dropping back in coverage?

So you can rush with your DBs, if you happen to think like Rex.

stuckincincy
05-31-2016, 08:12 AM
The problem I have is that those people Rex is comparing Mario to (Suggs, Miller) are Linebackers and Mario is a Defensive End. I don't recall seeing Bruce Smith drop in coverage.

Eh - in 15 games, Williams put up 15 tackles and 4 assists, 5 of those tackles being sacks. He was playing touch football all season...

casdhf
05-31-2016, 08:55 AM

The number one job of a defense is to put pressure on the QB. Why the **** would you have one of the best pass rushers in franchise history dropping back in coverage? Suggs is bigger than Mario. They're only LBs or DEs because the scheme ran. Mario was a OLB in Houston for a season or two, I think.

Bill Cody
05-31-2016, 09:05 AM
Suggs is bigger than Mario. They're only LBs or DEs because the scheme ran. Mario was a OLB in Houston for a season or two, I think.

Maybe if 6'3" 260 is bigger than 6'6" 292. Dropping Mario in coverage is dumb. It fools no one and Mario can't cover anyone.

stuckincincy
05-31-2016, 09:17 AM
Maybe if 6'3" 260 is bigger than 6'6" 292. Dropping Mario in coverage is dumb. It fools no one and Mario can't cover anyone.

Oh, those pesky details... :kid:

trapezeus
05-31-2016, 09:39 AM
regardless if it works or not, if a player has not bought in and it leaves you high and dry, you should maybe work with that person to get it right. it was obvious after a few weeks that Mario didn't car.rex had a free pass last year, but he is now under the gun. work with what you got.

feldspar
05-31-2016, 10:21 AM
So you can rush with your DBs, if you happen to think like Rex.

Of course you can rush the passer with your DBs. They call it a blitz.

I've seen it many, many times. It's actually quite common.

stuckincincy
05-31-2016, 10:26 AM

I'm a fan of DB blitzes.

coastal
05-31-2016, 10:40 AM
Mario "Fool's Gold" Williams is a fraud?

that would have been useful information a few years ago.

Joe Fo Sho
05-31-2016, 10:47 AM
Mario "Fool's Gold" Williams is a fraud?

that would have been useful information a few years ago.

It doesn't surprise me that you still don't understand what we're talking about.

coastal
05-31-2016, 11:02 AM
It doesn't surprise me that you still don't understand what we're talking about.
Says the mouth breather that never got it.

heres a hint... there's a reason he was cut!

he didn't produce.

Blame Rexy all u want but he gave u a glimpse into who Mario isn't... "mean mother ****ers".... that's not Mario.

i knew it years ago... hell... Houston fans knew it years ago.

feldspar
05-31-2016, 11:35 AM
Suggs is bigger than Mario. They're only LBs or DEs because the scheme ran. Mario was a OLB in Houston for a season or two, I think.

Mario was an OLB in Houston in his last year there. He only played in 5 games before he got hurt and placed on IR. But he managed to get 5 sacks in those 5 games at OLB...5 sacks, the same amount of sacks he got in 16 games last year for the Bills. Not like Rex didn't line him up at OLB last year on however many snaps, either. Not like he didn't line up in that spot in many a different year.

This thing has turned into a farce. If people want to criticize Rex, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so...this isn't one of them. I think I read somewhere that Mario actually dropped into coverage something like a little less than twice a game on average.

Here is why people SHOULD BE PISSED:

Center Eric Wood called Williams’ comments “disappointing,” adding that “Everybody has to buy in or else we don’t have a shot.”

He isn’t alone. One other teammate, who wished to remain anonymous, ramped it up a notch in saying Williams checked out a long time ago, back to not wanting to take part in the conditioning test before training camp.

“It’s been clear to me that Mario doesn’t care about anybody but himself,” the teammate said. “He followed that up by not giving any effort during the season and complaining about the scheme instead of manning up and saying he played like crap and doesn’t care."

Has Williams checked out? “Totally checked out.”

A player bringing an uninterested attitude to the office each day — whether it’s real or perceived —set a “terrible precedent” inside the Bills locker room, the teammate added.

...After all, Williams is making $11 million more than any other player on the team this season...

“Those guys have to be your team leaders and bell cows,” the player said. “To not give a crap like that shows why teams need to think twice before investing that much in one guy. We could easily have five solid players contributing than one guy who doesn’t give a (expletive).”

Does Mario like playing in Buffalo? “Yeah, clearly. I don’t think the last three years lie if you want to talk individual.”

Those numbers over three seasons could speak for themselves. “But,” Williams cuts in, “apparently it doesn’t speak enough.”

One Bills teammate loathes such (Mario Williams) rhetoric, calling it a "cop out" and said to watch the film. To him, Williams is getting plenty of one-on-one opportunities... he's simply doing nothing with them.

“Zero effort,” the player said after one recent game. “The tape speaks for itself. … He takes two steps and stops.”

The player added that others feel the same way and grew “beyond furious.” Still, he couldn’t recall anybody voicing concerns to Williams because nobody believed it’d do any good. He described it as a lost cause, adding that longtime Bill Kyle Williams is the only player who could’ve spoken up to Mario Williams.

Joe Fo Sho
05-31-2016, 11:37 AM

he didn't produce.

Blame Rexy all u want but he gave u a glimpse into who Mario isn't... "mean mother ****ers".... that's not Mario.

Like I said, it's not surprising that you're having a hard time comprehending this.

cookie G
05-31-2016, 12:56 PM

he didn't produce.

27.5 sacks the 2 previous years under 2 different coaches vs. 5 for Rexy.

Only a true genius can bring out the worst in his players.

gebobs
05-31-2016, 01:37 PM
The problem with Mario not buying in and refusing to drop back into coverage is that forced Ryan to put the onus for that on Dareus. LOL

Mace
05-31-2016, 01:43 PM

And I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you to pass rush with your coverage guys while your pass rushers are in coverage.

Suppose it has anything to do with their historic lack of sacks ?

Joe Fo Sho
05-31-2016, 01:52 PM
And I'm sure it makes perfect sense to you to pass rush with your coverage guys while your pass rushers are in coverage.

It is a perfectly good strategy when used within reason. I mean geez, Belichick even dropped Vince Wilfork into coverage on occasion.

Ronde Barber has 28 sacks, Charles Woodson has 20, there careers were not just riddled with incompetent coordinators.

coastal
05-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Mario was an OLB in Houston in his last year there. He only played in 5 games before he got hurt and placed on IR. But he managed to get 5 sacks in those 5 games at OLB...5 sacks, the same amount of sacks he got in 16 games last year for the Bills. Not like Rex didn't line him up at OLB last year on however many snaps, either. Not like he didn't line up in that spot in many a different year.

This thing has turned into a farce. If people want to criticize Rex, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so...this isn't one of them. I think I read somewhere that Mario actually dropped into coverage something like a little less than twice a game on average.

Here is why people SHOULD BE PISSED:
+100,000,000

coastal
05-31-2016, 02:15 PM
27.5 sacks the 2 previous years under 2 different coaches vs. 5 for Rexy.

Only a true genius can bring out the worst in his players.
There's some mgmt truth to this but when you're the highest paid player in franchise history... you should be one of the people who doesn't need to be managed.

Mario used Rex as his excuse and opportunity to get out of an accountable situation and to get himself one last large payday.

YardRat
05-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Doesn't say much for KW's leadership skills for not calling him out, or Wrecks' coaching ability for not benching him.

For the 100,000,000th time, Wrecks took a dominant #4 defense and reduced it to rubble in one season, and if anybody thinks that falls on one player's shoulders they might as well give up on football and stick to figure skating and women's tennis.

SpikedLemonade
05-31-2016, 03:29 PM
Doesn't say much for KW's leadership skills for not calling him out, or Wrecks' coaching ability for not benching him.

For the 100,000,000th time, Wrecks took a dominant #4 defense and reduced it to rubble in one season, and if anybody thinks that falls on one player's shoulders they might as well give up on football and stick to figure skating and women's tennis.

Did someone say women's tennis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBnTRwKwX8

feldspar
05-31-2016, 03:48 PM
Doesn't say much for KW's leadership skills for not calling him out

C'mon now.

Kyle was hurt and didn't even play six games. He was on IR.

Good Lord, but the things people will invent to whine about...

YardRat
05-31-2016, 03:49 PM
C'mon now.

Kyle was hurt and didn't even play six games. He was on IR.

Good Lord, but the things people will invent to whine about...

Hey feldspooge...how's it hangin'?

feldspar
05-31-2016, 03:56 PM
Hey feldspooge...how's it hangin'?

Pretty good, YardFat...best I could come up with on such short notice....

swiper
05-31-2016, 04:08 PM
Yardfart is funnier.

Mace
05-31-2016, 04:59 PM
It is a perfectly good strategy when used within reason. I mean geez, Belichick even dropped Vince Wilfork into coverage on occasion.

Ronde Barber has 28 sacks, Charles Woodson has 20, there careers were not just riddled with incompetent coordinators.

Well here, it wasn't. Lowest sack totals ever since a 16 game season, that's 37 years. That speaks for itself, no way around it. That spells sack failsauce, and a perfectly bad strategy when compared to 37 years of Buffalo defenses. We had 2 2-14 teams, 1 3-13 team with more sacks. Didn't work, that's just how it is.

feldspar
05-31-2016, 05:11 PM
.That spells sack failsauce.

Lol, funny stuff.

Now we need something that spells relief.

Mace
05-31-2016, 05:18 PM
Lol, funny stuff.

Now we need something that spells relief.

Absinthe.

It makes the heart grow fonder too.

YardRat
05-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Yardfart is funnier.

What are you laughing at, asSwiper?

jimmifli
05-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Did someone say women's tennis?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nBnTRwKwX8

And next on ESPN The Ocho...

The pulling up your pants with no hands team championships:

<iframe src='https://gfycat.com/ifr/ConfusedSafeBigmouthbass' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' width='640' height='357.5418994413408' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Joe Fo Sho
06-01-2016, 06:02 AM
Well here, it wasn't. Lowest sack totals ever since a 16 game season, that's 37 years. That speaks for itself, no way around it. That spells sack failsauce, and a perfectly bad strategy when compared to 37 years of Buffalo defenses. We had 2 2-14 teams, 1 3-13 team with more sacks. Didn't work, that's just how it is.

By this logic we shouldn't do anything that we did last year, at all.

What about all of the plays where we only rushed our 3 down lineman along with our 2 rush OLBs? Those plays also contributed to the high amount of fail sauce in our sack juice, probably even more so as we did that more often. Should we just abandon that whole strategy, too?

Our DBs last year accounted for almost 20% of our sack total.

Skooby
06-01-2016, 08:12 AM
It's a fair statement though. Throughout Rex's career in Baltimore and the Jets, his defense has always been very competitive and always had some Dlinemen drop into coverage occasionally, yet he still produced. So if Mario couldn't learn that system, whose fault is that?

Day 1 in camp it's on Mario to buy in and learn the system, Mario didn't and mailed last season in. Mario b****ed day 1 and made things difficult, being the tail that wanted to wag the dog.

It's Mario's fault & only Mario is to blame for his ignorance.

justasportsfan
06-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Mario has had his chances under the system when he was blocked 1 on 1 and he did nothing. So he's partly to blame for this. So much talent and physical prowess but the a heart the size of a peanut.

Mace
06-01-2016, 05:22 PM
By this logic we shouldn't do anything that we did last year, at all.

What about all of the plays where we only rushed our 3 down lineman along with our 2 rush OLBs? Those plays also contributed to the high amount of fail sauce in our sack juice, probably even more so as we did that more often. Should we just abandon that whole strategy, too?

Our DBs last year accounted for almost 20% of our sack total.

Well, you lost me. I said :

Then you say "by this logic we shouldn't do anything we did last year at all." So you're taking a statement of fact I made, and somehow stretched it into a logic that isn't expressed.

That our DB's accounted for 20% of the lowest sack total in 37 years just doesn't provide an argument for the method working, besides working well enough to provide 20% of the worst sack total in 37 years of Buffalo Bills defenses, including 2-14 & 3-13 teams.

I'm not really sure what your point is.

- You said dropping rushers into coverage and blitzing with coverage guys can work. I stated the simple, irrefutable fact that it didn't last year.

Now you're asking me if we should abandon another strategy that didn't work ?

Well, are you really asking me if we should abandon strategies that don't work or fail terribly ? Going out on a limb here, I'd have to say "Yes" ? Are you saying we should stick with strategies that don't work ? Doesn't make sense to me.

Joe Fo Sho
06-02-2016, 06:28 AM
Well, you lost me. I said :

Then you say "by this logic we shouldn't do anything we did last year at all." So you're taking a statement of fact I made, and somehow stretched it into a logic that isn't expressed.

That our DB's accounted for 20% of the lowest sack total in 37 years just doesn't provide an argument for the method working, besides working well enough to provide 20% of the worst sack total in 37 years of Buffalo Bills defenses, including 2-14 & 3-13 teams.

I'm not really sure what your point is.

- You said dropping rushers into coverage and blitzing with coverage guys can work. I stated the simple, irrefutable fact that it didn't last year.

Now you're asking me if we should abandon another strategy that didn't work ?

Well, are you really asking me if we should abandon strategies that don't work or fail terribly ? Going out on a limb here, I'd have to say "Yes" ? Are you saying we should stick with strategies that don't work ? Doesn't make sense to me.

I was just trying to say that blitzing defensive backs is a valid strategy. Just because it didn't work last year, as you pointed out, doesn't mean that it won't work this year. There are, of course, different methods of doing that.

If we stopped doing everything that didn't work last year, we'd be all out of things to do.

Bill Cody
06-02-2016, 10:07 AM
I was just trying to say that blitzing defensive backs is a valid strategy. Just because it didn't work last year, as you pointed out, doesn't mean that it won't work this year. There are, of course, different methods of doing that.

If we stopped doing everything that didn't work last year, we'd be all out of things to do.

Well there is the inevitable fire Rex thing that's still left

Joe Fo Sho
06-02-2016, 10:43 AM
Well there is the inevitable fire Rex thing that's still left

There is, but I don't see it happening until after the 2017 season.

swiper
06-02-2016, 05:09 PM
You all can get down on Mario Williams. But he saw up close what a fat jack ass Rex Ryan is. He did his protest thing and got sent packing. The villain in the story is not Williams, it's Ryan. And the idiots that hired him. The Pegulas.

Mace
06-02-2016, 05:26 PM

I suppose we can agree whatever we do we'd better do it better.

Now if Rex would just stop his yapping.

:beers:

feldspar
06-02-2016, 05:28 PM
You all can get down on Mario Williams. But he saw up close what a fat jack ass Rex Ryan is. He did his protest thing and got sent packing. The villain in the story is not Williams, it's Ryan. And the idiots that hired him. The Pegulas.

Wow, completely ridiculous.

So Mario is off the hook for quitting on his teammates then? When he's making $11 million more than the second highest paid player after him? If so, that's great news for him, I suppose.

Poor guy had to drop into coverage less than two times per game on average, after all. Who can blame him for thinking "**** y'all...I'm above the team?" Just can't do it.

swiper
06-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Wow, completely ridiculous.

So Mario is off the hook for quitting on his teammates then? When he's making $11 million more than the second highest paid player after him? If so, that's great news for him, I suppose.

Poor guy had to drop into coverage less than two times per game on average, after all. Who can blame him for thinking "**** y'all...I'm above the team?" Just can't do it.

As usual you are the only one that is ridiculous. The Bills are the ones that paid him the money. He didn't quit on anybody in 2015. In fact he carried that unit on many Sundays. So, again, blame the idiot owners and their lackeys. You are a prime example of a lame Buffalo fan by putting the blame anywhere else. Instead, as a typical F u c ked up Bills fan, you're gonna ***** about 2 plays a game. Stupid is as stupid does.

feldspar
06-02-2016, 05:58 PM
As usual you are the only one that is ridiculous. The Bills are the ones that paid him the money. He didn't quit on anybody in 2015. In fact he carried that unit on many Sundays. So, again, blame the idiot owners and their lackeys. You are a prime example of a lame Buffalo fan by putting the blame anywhere else. Instead, as a typical F u c ked up Bills fan, you're gonna ***** about 2 plays a game. Stupid is as stupid does.

Again, wow...

What were these many games where Mario "carried the unit" in 2015? This is the first time I've ever heard anyone make THAT claim. I'm so stupid that you'll have to tell me which of the many games that happened in.

Which owners gave him that money? The Pegulas (the "idiot owners") gave him that money? How can you even suggest that? They inherited him, and they took a $7 million cap hit just to cut bait with him this year, I think. Look at his current contract in Miami and explain how it's SO comparatively low to the Bills one. He's not making that much more than the dead cap space we surrendered to get rid of him...

Then tell me why his own teammates called him out for not trying if that didn't happen...

To claim that I'M the one complaining about 2 plays a game makes me worried about your reasoning ability. I didn't do that, but "someone" did...guess who...

Historian
06-03-2016, 05:25 AM
In general, I try not to confuse personality with performance.

Mario was a quiet kind of guy, the exact opposite of a Bruce, or a Talley, who were very vocal leaders on and off the field.

Same with Rex. Same with Rex's Father, Buddy.

If he was looking for Williams to be that type of leader, then it was never going to work, whether he drops into coverage or not.

I think it's that simple. A personality conflict. Even aging, Mario has all the tools.

Is it Rex's schemes that killed it, or Mario semi mailing it in?

It will be an interesting year finding that out. I believe we will have a pretty good idea by October 1st.

coastal
06-03-2016, 06:49 AM
Let's not forget Mario faking a wrist surgery in year one of the Super Fool's Gold contract.

Skooby
06-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Let's not forget Mario faking a wrist surgery in year one of the Super Fool's Gold contract.

Mario will pull a Bruce Smith in the Miami summer heat, hamstring issues coming to a FL field soon.

kscdogbillsfan1221
06-04-2016, 09:36 AM
Mario will pull a Bruce Smith in the Miami summer heat, hamstring issues coming to a FL field soon.

i disagree. i predict he'll revert back to his first team all pro, 2014 production but we'll see

swiper
06-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Again, wow...

What were these many games where Mario "carried the unit" in 2015? This is the first time I've ever heard anyone make THAT claim. I'm so stupid that you'll have to tell me which of the many games that happened in.

I'm not doing homework for a dope.

Which owners gave him that money? The Pegulas (the "idiot owners") gave him that money? How can you even suggest that? They inherited him, and they took a $7 million cap hit just to cut bait with him this year, I think. Look at his current contract in Miami and explain how it's SO comparatively low to the Bills one. He's not making that much more than the dead cap space we surrendered to get rid of him...

You'll have to show me where I wrote Pegula in that post, because I don't see it.

To claim that I'M the one complaining about 2 plays a game

That's exactly what you did. Keep trying though.

Fixxxer
06-05-2016, 07:30 AM
In general, I try not to confuse personality with performance.

Mario was a quiet kind of guy, the exact opposite of a Bruce, or a Talley, who were very vocal leaders on and off the field.

Same with Rex. Same with Rex's Father, Buddy.

If he was looking for Williams to be that type of leader, then it was never going to work, whether he drops into coverage or not.

I think it's that simple. A personality conflict. Even aging, Mario has all the tools.

Is it Rex's schemes that killed it, or Mario semi mailing it in?

It will be an interesting year finding that out. I believe we will have a pretty good idea by October 1st.

When Kyle Williams went down with injury, Mario was forced to do something he doesn't like/want/care to do or doesn't know how to do, and that is, lead other people to a common goal. He's not that guy, afterall this is the guy that only wanted two things out of the Bills, rush the passer from the LDE position.
When he became the voice of the locker-room everything went further downhill, being the changhing of the defensive systems a big mistake.

Mouldsie
06-08-2016, 09:25 PM
both parties were at fault