PDA

View Full Version : Rodak tweet thread

Skooby
06-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Pretty good stuff, since there's no one else .....

https://twitter.com/mikerodak?lang=en

Skooby
06-01-2016, 09:37 AM
No return timetable for Sammy, hopes to get boot off soon.

Skooby
06-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Rex Ryan says he "can't stomach" another year like what his defense experienced last season.

OpIv37
06-01-2016, 10:16 AM
Rex Ryan says he "can't stomach" another year like what his defense experienced last season.

Then he better buy a couple cases of Pepto to get through the season. He added no new talent on D. Literally nothing with the exception of Shaq Lawson, who is going to miss a good chunk of the season.

stuckincincy
06-01-2016, 11:04 AM
Then he better buy a couple cases of Pepto to get through the season. He added no new talent on D. Literally nothing with the exception of Shaq Lawson, who is going to miss a good chunk of the season.

Immodium might be more like it....

HAMMER
06-01-2016, 02:20 PM

We brought in the best MLB in the draft as well.

trapezeus
06-01-2016, 03:13 PM
when he can't stomach it, he usually gets lap band surgery. I just hate how predictable this season will be.

Mace
06-01-2016, 06:18 PM

You keep forgetting Ragland or leaving him out on purpose. I can't imagine why you'd leave him out on purpose, he's the best LB prospect we've had here in years.

OpIv37
06-01-2016, 08:20 PM
You keep forgetting Ragland or leaving him out on purpose. I can't imagine why you'd leave him out on purpose, he's the best LB prospect we've had here in years.

You really think a 2nd round LB is enough talent to fix the issues with this D? Come on.

Mace
06-01-2016, 09:01 PM
You really think a 2nd round LB is enough talent to fix the issues with this D? Come on.

To fix it ? No, I don't know it gets "fixed". To improve it and make an impact, yes. Ragland was chosen in the 2nd but he's a 1st round talent. He's better than Brown or Bradham. So that means they definitely added something more than Lawson to the D.

"Fixing" the issues is an entirely different story, but we flatly added more talent in Ragland which isn't "literally nothing".

I know you're cranky about it all, and I have my own issues with the defense and draft order, but you can't ignore the addition of Ragland, who adds something at once to the talent level.

DraftBoy
06-02-2016, 04:21 AM
To fix it ? No, I don't know it gets "fixed". To improve it and make an impact, yes. Ragland was chosen in the 2nd but he's a 1st round talent. He's better than Brown or Bradham. So that means they definitely added something more than Lawson to the D.

"Fixing" the issues is an entirely different story, but we flatly added more talent in Ragland which isn't "literally nothing".

I know you're cranky about it all, and I have my own issues with the defense and draft order, but you can't ignore the addition of Ragland, who adds something at once to the talent level.

I don't know that he's a better player than Brown or Bradham but he's most certainly different. Brown is a good pass coverage LB with sideline to sideline speed, he fits perfectly next to Ragland in this defensive scheme. Bradham was a really good 43 OLB who doesn't fit a 34 based scheme at all. Similarly to how Ragland would be a bad fit in a 43 scheme at MLB. Ragland is a 1st and 2nd down thumper who you hope you can find a way to keep on the field for 3rd downs. Brown and Bradham are three down LB's at their positions.

Ragland has the potential to be better than both of them, but he's not there quite yet.

trapezeus
06-02-2016, 06:26 AM
I thought ragland's speed could be an issue. I'm excited to see him and I hope he's ready to go, but I sense he could get the old eddie robinson shake in a key moment and we'll turn on him. or he'll just be awful in coverage over the middle that turns short catches into long gains.

Jan Reimers
06-02-2016, 06:56 AM
A couple of thoughts on this thread. First, no one knows at this point how many games Shaq will miss. Second, Adolphus Washington was a pretty good defensive pick, too.

Just to dispel some of the usual negativity here.

TacklingDummy
06-02-2016, 07:10 AM
A couple of thoughts on this thread. First, no one knows at this point how many games Shaq will miss. Second, Adolphus Washington was a pretty good defensive pick, too.

The Bills are going to rely on 3 rookies to improve the defense. I feel so much better now.

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 07:16 AM

It's not negativity. It's reality. Mario, Bradham and McKelvin are gone. The only talent added to a D that struggled last year and lost 3 major contributors were rookies. The best one is going to miss all of preseason and at least the first month of the regular season, and missing the practice and conditioning time will likely limit his effectiveness.

Do you really think Ragland, Washington, and Lawson coming off an injury can fix all that? I suppose it's not impossible, but it sure as hell isn't likely. It's the same old story as every other season since this site has existed:

IF Lawson doesn't miss too many games AND
IF the team doesn't dig themselves into a huge hole before he comes back AND
IF he can be effective after missing practice and conditioning time AND
IF Ragland can be effective as a rookie AND
IF Washington can be effective as a rookie AND
IF the D improves in the 2nd year in Rex's system AND
IF no starters miss significant time due to injury,
then the D will be fine.

Nothing negative there- it's simple reality. And realistically some of those "if's" will happen. But it's unrealistic to expect enough of them to happen to fix the cluster**** of a D we fielded last year.

Joe Fo Sho
06-02-2016, 07:25 AM
Well, when you say things like this:

He added no new talent on D. Literally nothing with the exception of Shaq Lawson

You either don't know what the word literally means or you're asking for someone to argue with.

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 08:17 AM
Well, when you say things like this:

You either don't know what the word literally means or you're asking for someone to argue with.

Ok, it was an exaggeration. But we only added rookies and depth to a unit that struggled tremendously last year. It's not nearly enough of a talent influx.

Joe Fo Sho
06-02-2016, 08:35 AM
Ok, it was an exaggeration. But we only added rookies and depth to a unit that struggled tremendously last year. It's not nearly enough of a talent influx.

You're probably right, but you can't be certain. That's what makes us turn on the TV on Sunday afternoons.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-02-2016, 09:31 AM
I had reservation about last year's D would be better argument: coaching staff (wholesale) change, D scheme change. And we saw from Pettine to Schwartz how it impacted players' performance etc. We know Mario, Nigel, Brown are better fit for 4-3 than 3-4.

Rex's D relies more on scheme than individual talent (except outside DBs). Overall, I have the feeling that you will see an improvement of D performance this year just because they have adjusted personnel and players getting all the small details right in the 2nd year. Mind you it happened in Pittsburgh too when Tomlin took over.

If you ask me, the bright spot last year is Tyrod Taylor, not that he's the 2nd coming of something special; it's been so long that we in Buffalo see a competent QB. My opinion hasn't changed: defense, RB, WR etc. can all fluctuate in performance year to year, but steady QB is hard to come by in NFL. To me Tyrod's play this year is still going to be the deciding factor. He does not need to be star, just need to be steady, maintaining the level he had last year. It's easier said than done though -- teams are surely studies him more and ready to attack his weakness.

Mace
06-02-2016, 06:00 PM
I don't know that he's a better player than Brown or Bradham but he's most certainly different. Brown is a good pass coverage LB with sideline to sideline speed, he fits perfectly next to Ragland in this defensive scheme. Bradham was a really good 43 OLB who doesn't fit a 34 based scheme at all. Similarly to how Ragland would be a bad fit in a 43 scheme at MLB. Ragland is a 1st and 2nd down thumper who you hope you can find a way to keep on the field for 3rd downs. Brown and Bradham are three down LB's at their positions.

Ragland has the potential to be better than both of them, but he's not there quite yet.

I really think (sure it's not proven yet), Ragland will be fine for 3 downs, don't think the Bills would have taken him if they didn't (not that that says much more than they'll bend over backwards to try letting him be one), but I also think Ragland brings a blitzing dimension (flexibility), he can take on linemen. I never really saw that from Bradham (always saw Bradham as a pursuit lb with middling coverage ability).

I was never really sold on Bradham, think he's a generic JAG who isn't so hard to replace in any scheme. I do like Brown, but at this point I don't think he's proven he's not a JAG mlb. I think Ragland is more than a JAG out of the package.

It's all conjecture at this point, sure, and he's really not a better player than anyone, because he hasn't played yet, but I really believe we added talent to the position with how Ryan is fixed on using it even if it's just taking some of the pressure of Brown and replacing the miscast Bradham.

ghz in pittsburgh
06-03-2016, 06:10 AM
I do blame Rex's coaching or Thurman's. If you are Schwartz relying on talent, it is relatively simple: line them up and beat the guy in front of you; you adjust each week getting the best match up for your guys. But if you are Rex and rely on schemes, then coaching is critical because you want 11 guys acting like one. Ideally you want all 11 think the same but if not, a lot of communications.

My theory is that Rex thought he had the D talent like he had in Baltimore again and over-estimated the talent the Bills had last year. No doubt part of it was what he saw from what Schwartz did and beliving and deficiency executing his schema could be overcome with talent. There got to be tell-tell sign he and/or Thurman saw during the camp/OTAs, pre-seasons, and I blame him for not addressing it right then.

If you go back to my posts before, I always thought the Bills D in 2014 over-achieved and benefited from playing NFC North where Schwartz had intimate knowledge of. Compared to the Ravens when Rex was there, the Bills D didn't have one single HOF candidate (or playing like one) whereas Rex had Lewis and Reed in their rising years.

I believe in this case, proper coaching is much more important than adding talent (assuming adequate talent on hand). And this year they are addressing this head on. His brother, Reed, DLine coach etc. On top of that, players already being exposed to his system last year. It is hard to believe they would do worse than last year, even without Lawson for the first 8 games. After all, Rex's D has a track record (never below top 12 until last year).

Skooby
06-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Cardale is signed, so our whole rookie class is officially signed !!

Skooby
06-13-2016, 10:03 AM
Gimore is coming to the OTA's so he doesn't get fined.

Skooby
06-13-2016, 10:51 AM
Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak (https://twitter.com/mikerodak)<small class="time" style="font-size: 13px; color: rgb(136, 153, 166);"> 5m5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/mikerodak/status/742405915702267904)</small>
The Bills have signed OL Chris Martin to a one-year contract, his agent Brett Tessler tweeted. Martin, 26, has... http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0534058772226645195-4 … (https://t.co/OKUMXIZS5r)