PDA

View Full Version : Quality of NFL QB's

Buckets
07-25-2003, 01:55 PM
NFL
Plummer feeds Denver's hopes
Associated Press
7/24/2003

DENVER - Jake Plummer has created the biggest buzz around the Denver Broncos since John Elway retired four years ago.
Now it's time for him to prove it's not just hype.

Plummer opens his first training camp with the Denver Broncos' quarterback today, carrying with him the hopes of a city that hasn't been this excited since No. 7 retired after the 1998 season with consecutive Super Bowl rings.

And although nobody expects him to be Elway, who led the Broncos to five Super Bowls in his 16-year career, they expect more from Plummer than they got from Brian Griese, most often the starter for the last four seasons.

"He's just got a great personality for the situation that he's been thrust into," General Manager Ted Sundquist said of Plummer.

"He realizes how important football is to Denver, realizes our analysis and interpretation of why we haven't succeeded the last couple years and realizes what his role is here."

Plummer's got the swagger and emotion of Elway. But on the field, he hasn't been any better than Griese, who was sent packing after four mediocre seasons in Denver.

Sure, Plummer made a name for himself with a slew of fourth-quarter comebacks in Arizona, but his mistakes were part of the reason the Cardinals seemed to always be playing from behind.

Plummer has 114 interceptions and 90 touchdowns in 82 games and his career passer rating is just 69.1. He did lead the Cardinals to the playoffs in 1998, the team's first postseason since 1947, but the Cardinals won no more than seven games in his other five seasons.

Last season, Plummer threw 20 interceptions and had a quarterback rating of 65.7 for a team that finished 5-11, but the Broncos are hoping the tutelage of coach Mike Shanahan and a better supporting cast will make a difference this year.

"This team is going to help make me a better player," said Plummer.

A quick note for WYS and the Phins fans. I will agree with WYS on one thing, DB did not live up to all the hype when he came into the NFL and neither did he deserve the huge contract he got in NE before his last season. He is not a Joe Montana or Troy Aikman but he is better than 75% of the QBs in the league.
Also good luck to the Phins fans who think Brian is the answer.

ryven
07-25-2003, 02:10 PM
We are beating a dead horse with Wys's opion on drew bledsoe. :deadhorse:

Though I do agree with you with the miami deal

Jan Reimers
07-25-2003, 02:44 PM
I'm glad we're not basing our hopes on Jake Plummer. He has been one of the worst QBs in football his entire career.

Halbert
07-26-2003, 12:24 AM
That's going a little overboard but I'd take Drew all day long over Jake.

WG
07-26-2003, 02:24 AM
It's funny Hal, I've always called Plummer a "Poor man's Bledsoe!"

Denver is gonna wish they had Griese back about midseason!!!

BTW, some of the same exact things said about Plummer in here can be said about Drew.

These:
Originally posted by Buckets
[Bledsoe's] got the swagger and emotion of [Kelly]. But on the field, he hasn't been any better than Griese, who was sent packing after four mediocre seasons in Denver.

Sure, [Bledsoe] made a name for himself with a slew of fourth-quarter comebacks in [New England], but his mistakes were part of the reason the [Patriots] seemed to always be playing from behind.

[Bledsoe] has [108] interceptions and [111] touchdowns in [7 of his 10 seasons] and his career passer rating is just [77.1]. He did lead the [Patriots] to the playoffs in [1994, 1996, and 1997], the team's first postseason since 1986, but the [Patriots] won no more than [nine] games in his other five seasons [w/ an overall record of 33-47 in those seasons].

"A quick note for WYS and the Phins fans. I will agree with WYS on one thing, DB did not live up to all the hype when he came into the NFL and neither did he deserve the huge contract he got in NE before his last season. He is not a Joe Montana or Troy Aikman but he is better than 75% of the QBs in the league.
Also good luck to the Phins fans who think Brian is the answer. "

I don't think he's much better than more than 25% of the QBs in the league.

Here are the starting QBs that I think are:

Better:

Brady
Pennington
Manning
McNair
Brunnell
Maddux
Gannon
Green
McNabb
Favre
Culpepper
B. Johnson
Vick
Garcia
Warner/Bulger
Brooks

That's 50% that I consider to be 'w/o question' better than Drew.

Approximately equal to, yet perhaps w/ different strengths:

Fiedler
Kitna
Blake
Hasselbeck
Griese
Brees
Collins
Plummer

That's another 25% that I don't think are "worse" than Drew. They've only had a fraction of the talent that Drew has, and last year several of whom had similar averages on a "per-game" basis.

Worse:

Couch
Stewart
Hutchinson
Miller
Peete

TBD:

Carr
Harrington
Redmon