PDA

View Full Version : TBN : Dan Carpenter

Mace
06-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Carpenter sums up kicking neatly :

“It’s black and white. You either make it through the yellow things or you don’t,” Carpenter said after the Bills wrapped up their fifth practice of the spring. “It doesn’t matter if you hit a good ball or a bad ball. If it goes through the yellow things, everyone’s happy. If it doesn’t, nobody’s happy. There’s no gray area whatsoever.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/01/dan-carpenter/

I like Carpenter, hope he works it out. Would be good though too if he could kick it off, still don't quite understand that one but hey. "Well, Dan....try and kick it through the yellow things, even if you can't from here."

Goobylal
06-01-2016, 07:15 PM
With the new (and I bet short-lived) KO rules, having a guy who can't KO into the EZ, much less keeping a player around just for that, isn't a big deal.

YardRat
06-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Hope he has a big year, we're going to need every point we can get.

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 07:54 AM
The K and P situations have been grossly mishandled since Lindell and Moorman left.

I think Rex really shook Carpenter's confidence last year and at this point I don't think either one trusts the other.

Bill Cody
06-02-2016, 10:03 AM
The K and P situations have been grossly mishandled since Lindell and Moorman left.

I think Rex really shook Carpenter's confidence last year and at this point I don't think either one trusts the other.

Please. I don't trust Carpenter either. He's got a big boy's job and he either does it or he's fired, this isn't about the coach talking nice nice to save his widdle feelings. Personally I think it's nuts to have to carry 2 kickers. Carpenter ain't Adam Vinatieri.

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Please. I don't trust Carpenter either. He's got a big boy's job and he either does it or he's fired, this isn't about the coach talking nice nice to save his widdle feelings. Personally I think it's nuts to have to carry 2 kickers. Carpenter ain't Adam Vinatieri.

I agree we shouldn't need two kickers. But just more than just saying nice things. Rex was undermining his confidence before he was even struggling. Kickers are a fickle bunch and need to be treated with kid gloves.

Victor7
06-02-2016, 11:34 AM

Schmidt has been a beast punting the ball. Moorman was let go in 2012 so aside from 2013 we've been set at that at that spot

As far as kicking its hard to fault the team. Carpenter got off to a great start. It was only last year that he started struggling. I do agree that it is ridiculous we have to waste a roster spot on a guy that only kicks off.

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2016, 12:02 PM
How has punter been mishandled?

They tried one guy that didn't work out (which happens all around the NFL) and have had a damn good punter the last two years.

Bill Cody
06-02-2016, 12:44 PM
I agree we shouldn't need two kickers. But just more than just saying nice things. Rex was undermining his confidence before he was even struggling. Kickers are a fickle bunch and need to be treated with kid gloves.

nonsense. Kickers kick, chokers choke. And the fact is they're fickle no matter whether the coach is Bill Parcells and he tells Adam Vinatieri as a struggling rookie in preseason "you'd better make this kick or there will be consequences" or the coach sings "You're the Best Around" sweetly in his ear.

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 01:04 PM
How has punter been mishandled?

They tried one guy that didn't work out (which happens all around the NFL) and have had a damn good punter the last two years.

Uh, they cut Moorman for Powell then cut Powell for Moorman then cut Moorman again. It doesn't get much more clueless than that. They made the wrong decision the first time but then they brought back a guy they already cut... And ended up cutting him again. What a shock! The guy that wasn't good enough anymore didn't get any better with time!

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2016, 01:09 PM
And for the two years since then they've had Schmidt.

Or do you dislike him too?

OpIv37
06-02-2016, 01:36 PM
And for the two years since then they've had Schmidt.

Or do you dislike him too?
He's ok. They still mismanaged the situation. Keeping a position stable for a mere two seasons is an extremely low bar.

Joe Fo Sho
06-02-2016, 01:41 PM
If there's one thing the front office should be reprimanded for, it's definitely the 1 year since 1991 that we had an issue at the punter position.

Dr. Lecter
06-02-2016, 02:04 PM
He's ok. They still mismanaged the situation. Keeping a position stable for a mere two seasons is an extremely low bar.

Except you said the mishandled since Moorman left. That's not true. Not even close to it.

And there were two years that punters were jumping around. That's nor really all that unusual.

There are approximately 4,783 things this team has done worse than handle the punter situation. You're reaching.

Goobylal
06-02-2016, 03:39 PM

No they didn't. Moorman was no better than Powell at that stage of his career.

Historian
06-03-2016, 04:59 AM
I don't know how he could be so accurate in 2014, then **** the bed in 2015.

Did we change holders?

Mace
06-03-2016, 04:22 PM
I don't know how he could be so accurate in 2014, then **** the bed in 2015.

Did we change holders?

No, though I remember a few times Schmidt had the laces in the wrong direction on misses. He maintained his career average in field goals (85%), but extra points being moved back just seemed to throw him off. He mostly struggled with those.

I'm still not convinced Dan Carpenter is the only kicker in the whole league who cannot do kickoffs.

Goobylal
06-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Among kickers with more than a handful of FG attempts, Carp has gone from 10th, to 8th, to 18th in FG% with the Bills the past 3 years. Interestingly enough, he had a higher FG% in 2013 than 2014, but ranked lower among kickers. He's got to do a better job there and especially with XPAs. Or better yet, the UDFA guy (Morgan Marshall) wins the competition. He can KO and I'm betting they reverse the KO rule after this season when they find out it's leading to more returns, which is what they don't want.

Victor7
06-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Carpenter had the extremely rare distinction of having a better fg percentage than extra point last year. That's how weird and bad his struggles with XP were.

Bill Cody
06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Carpenter had the extremely rare distinction of having a better fg percentage than extra point last year. That's how weird and bad his struggles with XP were.

Kickers as a group are head cases. You have to have a Plan B with Carpenter ready. First XP he misses next year he gets bus fare. He'd already be gone if I was HC but hopefully he's on like a 5 inch leash.