• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills "aren't going to $15 million" for CB Stephon Gilmore

The team isn't interested in giving their top cornerback the kind of money that Josh Norman is going to be making for the next few years, and it may signal the end of his tenure as a Bill.

There has been a decent amount of chatter in the media lately about the current state of contract talks between the Buffalo Bills and top cornerback Stephon Gilmore. The 25-year-old is in the fifth and final season of his rookie contract, one that will pay him just north of $11 million this season.

It would seem the team isn't willing to raise that number much higher for future seasons.

The Buffalo News' Vic Carucci wrote this morning that he's been told "the Bills have no intention of giving Gilmore a contract that will come close to the five-year, $75-million deal [Josh] Norman received to join the Washington Redskins as a free agent." Carucci goes on to write, "The Bills, as I understand it, would be willing to put him in the range of about $12.5 million, maybe $13 million, per year. But they aren't going to $15 million." That's slightly under the $13.4 million average value we projected after the Norman deal was announced, but it's certainly in the ballpark.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills "aren't going to $15 million" for CB Stephon Gilmore

He's too injury prone.
    I wouldn't even give him $10 million.

It's all about the pass rush. Get pressure on the passer and most any CB will do.

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Who honestly ****ing cares?

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

I think he's odd man out with the $. He's good but not that special, like Revis in his prime. Giving him some big contract doesn't seem like a good idea. He's had some injury issues.

CB will be one of our 1st 2 picks next year.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

Awww c'mon....where are all of the 'Ralph is cheap' homos now?
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
            Legendary Zoner
            • Sep 2010

Not here. I agree with the notion that he is good, not great. Would love to have him, but doubt the Bills will sell the farm for it.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by coastal View Post
              Who honestly ****ing cares?
              Well, me. Not sure Kevin Seymour is growing the predator dreads, which means they'd have to replace the hair next draft.

Besides that though I don't think he's worth 15 million a year either. I expect him to get hurt again anyway.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                I think he's odd man out with the $. He's good but not that special, like Revis in his prime. Giving him some big contract doesn't seem like a good idea. He's had some injury issues.

CB will be one of our 1st 2 picks next year.
                Oh goodie!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                Awww c'mon....where are all of the 'Ralph is cheap' homos now?
                I am still right here.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                  • Aug 2012

How marketable is he?

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                    How marketable is he?
                    One of your best posts ever.

Brandon's Bills.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

if darby holds up this season, he's the guy you want to invest in. next year when shaq is back, the bills might not need stellar db's on both sides. they may be able to get to the qb. I think it's the right long term decision.

Comment

• Mahdi
                        • Mar 2004

Considering the way Rex blitzes, I think its more important to have two lock down CBs than it would for any other team...

We don't know if Shaq is the answer as a second pass rusher however we do know Gilmore is a top 10 CB.

Pay him and continue improving the roster. That being said I'm pretty sure we don't have to pay him Josh Norman money to keep him. Between 12.5-14 should be enough.
                        Last edited by Mahdi; 06-20-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

paying DBs hasn't seemed to be a winning strategy. a number of teams try and do it and they kill their pass rush and they don't get any production if their lockdown guy gets hurt. I would rather keep drafting db's and keeping your front seven happy and hungry.

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

Letting guys get to the final year is the problem. You can't get a good deal. You have to pay fair market because if you don't 1/31 other teams will.

How much could we have signed him for last season? A big upfront signing bonus a year early is worth more than waiting two years for an extra couple of million per year.

But if we insist on letting guys get to the end of their deal, then it's better to resign them than run the continual revolving door of talent we have for the last two decades.

Comment

• ICRockets
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                              Letting guys get to the final year is the problem. You can't get a good deal. You have to pay fair market because if you don't 1/31 other teams will.

How much could we have signed him for last season? A big upfront signing bonus a year early is worth more than waiting two years for an extra couple of million per year.

But if we insist on letting guys get to the end of their deal, then it's better to resign them than run the continual revolving door of talent we have for the last two decades.
                              Usually I agree with your final paragraph, but when we have a potentially gargantuan contract heading Tyrod's way in the offseason I don't mind losing Gilmore because we didn't over pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X