PDA

View Full Version : New Winfield News

mvb1781
07-25-2003, 05:27 PM
Winfields column in the new Bills Digest

"One of the things alot of people ask me about is my contract situation, so let me say this: This is a business. I know I've got one more year on my contract. If its going to happen , it'll happen. If it doesn't, I'll just play it out and we'll see.
I don't have a feeling at all about whether the Bills are just focusing on getting the draft picks signed at this point in the offseason. Of course, I dont know how we are under the salary cap either, so who knows?If were in good shape then we might get something done yet. If I dont sign before the first day of training camp, I'm just going to play the year out and see what happens."

eyedog
07-25-2003, 08:22 PM
It sounds to me that he's looking to cash out with the highest bidder after the season. If so we know TD won't overpay and even though I'd like him to stay I think he's gone after the year.

NewYorkCity Backers
07-25-2003, 08:41 PM
If I dont sign before the first day of training camp, I'm just going to play the year out and see what happens.

I don't like the sound of that.

lordofgun
07-25-2003, 10:17 PM
That's the same thing Peerless said. :eek:

mypoorfriendme
07-25-2003, 10:39 PM
im not worried at all, if we lose him after this season, there are going to be plenty of corners in the FA market, and itll be easy to snatch one if we have the cap room like were supposed to and even easier if we make a legitament playoff run

Stewie
07-25-2003, 10:52 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if we resign him. There's at least 4 #1 corners up for FA after this season. In a perfect world, we'd resign him AND sign Bobby Taylor :)

Halbert
07-26-2003, 12:16 AM
How can you possibly worry with TD at the stick?

HenryRules
07-26-2003, 09:26 AM
Winfield is a solid starter, but I think he's gotten highly overrated by Bills fans in the last couple of years. There's plenty of other CB's in the NFL I'd choose over Winfield and as has been mentioned numerous times, 4 or 5 of those guys are free agents next year.

Doc
07-26-2003, 09:36 AM
As I said before, I think Donahoe will allow Winfield to test the market (i.e. not franchise Winfield unless there aren't as many FA CB's as originally thought) and ask him to let the Bills match any offer he gets. However if there are more than a couple FA CB's who are pretty good available, I see him spending the cash on one of them and letting Winfield walk. I've gotten the sense that the Bills want a bigger CB who can INT passes, and that Winfield hasn't been all that happy with the new regime. I've also heard his wife hates Buffalo.

WG
07-26-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by HenryRules
Winfield is a solid starter, but I think he's gotten highly overrated by Bills fans in the last couple of years. There's plenty of other CB's in the NFL I'd choose over Winfield and as has been mentioned numerous times, 4 or 5 of those guys are free agents next year.

I agree HR. He's a good all-around corner, but for sure there are better cover CBs out there. IMO Thomas is one. He just doesn't appear to be nearly as good against the run. But if we build a decent front 7, then that won't be nearly the factor it is now.

Besides, I think some of us are reading into that.

The_Philster
07-26-2003, 02:53 PM
I think we're reading too much into things.
He's always talked like he loved Buffalo.

Jan Reimers
07-27-2003, 06:21 AM
Winfield is a hitter and a good cover guy, but never makes game-changing plays. He may not be as hot an FA commodity as he thinks. We'll try to keep him, but not at a salary cap Hell price.