PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing a better job at rebuilding?

coastal
06-25-2016, 06:48 AM
The Leafs haven't been at it as long, but you have to think they aren't far behind the Sabres, so let's create some topics of comparison to bring some structure to this debate...

Team President
Russ Brandon v Brendan Shanahan - this one isn't even worth the discussion. Winner - Leafs

GM
Tim Murray v Lou Lamoriello - autism boy already has two of his big trade pickups (Kane and Bogo) on the trade block per reports. He over paid for a goalie that cant seem to stay on the ice. He was able to tank properly in spite of every effort by some crazed, goalie's wife ****er enjun. The ROR trade was brilliant. Lamoriello is a Hall of Fame GM. They were able to correctly cut the head off of the snake by jettisoning Phaneuf, however They did give up the player that should have won the Conn Smythe. Phil isn't a franchise leader but with someone else in that role, Phil is an amazing talent. There are only so many players who can score goals in the universe. I don't think they should have given up on Phil. Like Murray, the Leafs overpaid for their goalie, but at least their's had a track record. The Leafs also didn't really tank. They got rid of guys that didn't fit their mold. They scrapped hard all year long. Here is no question that Sabres tanked for at least two years. Winner - Leafs

head coach
Blysma v Babcock - considering we lost the Babcock sweepstakes and Blysma was the runner-up prize this automatically given to the Leafs. Winner - Leafs

Franchise Player
Eichel v Matthews - it's still early but my money is on Matthews here. Eichel doesn't play D consistently and isn't the total player that Matthews is. Eichel is beyond talented in terms of skating, speed, strength and a shot... but one is destined to be a true #1 franchise pivot ala Toews. Winner - Leafs

supporting cast
Reinhart, Rasumus, ROR, Kane v Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Nylander - aside from Kane showing some red flags and my love of JVR... the edge here goes to Buffalo. Reinhart has shown to be very crafty and incredibly fun to watch how he processes the game. ROR is clearly a captain in the makings in spite of his DUI and aversion to Tim Hortons. Kadri is a functional #2C and JVR is on his way out by all reports. Nylander looks to be a special talent. Rielly and Rasmus are a push. Winner - Sabres.

Outlook - as of now the clear winner on the rebuild are the Leafs, but much will be decided in terms of who ends up competing deep into the playoffs 2-3 years down the road based on the decisions that are made in that time. It all starts at the top though and the Leafs are better structure for success than the Sabres are. Winner - Leafs.

swiper
06-25-2016, 07:22 AM
Good job coastal. You hit on all levels. Though you are a Leafs fan, IIRC and a GMTM critic you did a level job here. Now let's see how it plays out on the ice. I still am peeved to remember Dave Andreychuk's success in Toronto and getting so upset the Sabres let him go. Rivalries like these are good for the sport. So retooling both sides is something to look forward too. It means we'll get some great hockey again soon.

Skooby
06-25-2016, 07:37 AM
https://goo.gl/images/pzLrz3

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 08:05 AM
No comment.

coastal
06-25-2016, 08:06 AM
No comment.
Cmon!!!!!

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 08:14 AM
I choose not to participate at this time in this thread.

I am in the midst of stuffing 4 different colour peppers with fresh ground turkey, herbs from my herb garden and other trade secrets that I am not at liberty to reveal.

Wist watching the Swiss v Poland game.

I must be selective with my time.

coastal
06-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Ground turkey... lol.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 08:16 AM
Ground turkey... lol.

Some ***** added 10 lbs to my ass in 3 days so I need to get back on track.

coastal
06-25-2016, 08:37 AM
I ate some ground turkey, Swiss chard, tomato concotion yesterday for lunch.

Said **** it and had a ribeye for dinner

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 09:00 AM
I ate some ground turkey, Swiss chard, tomato concotion yesterday for lunch.

Said **** it and had a ribeye for dinner

That is why I will weigh less than you in October and I am a full foot taller than you.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 09:11 AM
OK, stuffed peppers in the oven.

I am still working on a salted cod (left over from Portuguese restaurant) Frittata on top of a heirloom tomato, half a mango, scotch bonnet sauce and a slice of whole grain bread.

Taking that cod in a whole different direction.

Dr. Lecter
06-25-2016, 09:28 AM
The Leafs trade for a goalie was actually worse than the Sabres trade for Lehner. Which I thought would be hard to top. But if you include that in Murray's evaluation, then the trade for Andersen needs to be discussed too.

A first and a second???

And then $5 million per? Insanity

coastal
06-25-2016, 09:29 AM
careful... making a frittata may excite jam it in my ass.

YardRat
06-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Well, considering the conclusion is so lopsided in Toronto's favor the Sabres should just jettison everything they've done over the last three seasons and just tank again for a couple more.

YardRat
06-25-2016, 10:15 AM
OK, stuffed peppers in the oven.

I am still working on a salted cod (left over from Portuguese restaurant) Frittata on top of a heirloom tomato, half a mango, scotch bonnet sauce and a slice of whole grain bread.

Taking that cod in a whole different direction.

careful... making a frittata may excite jam it in my ass.

Is this one of those ersatz homosexual relationships that Leonard's mother was talking about on Big Bang Theory?

Ginger Vitis
06-25-2016, 10:19 AM
The Leafs haven't been at it as long, but you have to think they aren't far behind the Sabres, so let's create some topics of comparison to bring some structure to this debate...

Team President
Russ Brandon v Brendan Shanahan - this one isn't even worth the discussion. Winner - Leafs

GM
Tim Murray v Lou Lamoriello - autism boy already has two of his big trade pickups (Kane and Bogo) on the trade block per reports. He over paid for a goalie that cant seem to stay on the ice. He was able to tank properly in spite of every effort by some crazed, goalie's wife ****er enjun. The ROR trade was brilliant. Lamoriello is a Hall of Fame GM. They were able to correctly cut the head off of the snake by jettisoning Phaneuf, however They did give up the player that should have won the Conn Smythe. Phil isn't a franchise leader but with someone else in that role, Phil is an amazing talent. There are only so many players who can score goals in the universe. I don't think they should have given up on Phil. Like Murray, the Leafs overpaid for their goalie, but at least their's had a track record. The Leafs also didn't really tank. They got rid of guys that didn't fit their mold. They scrapped hard all year long. Here is no question that Sabres tanked for at least two years. Winner - Leafs

head coach
Blysma v Babcock - considering we lost the Babcock sweepstakes and Blysma was the runner-up prize this automatically given to the Leafs. Winner - Leafs

Franchise Player
Eichel v Matthews - it's still early but my money is on Matthews here. Eichel doesn't play D consistently and isn't the total player that Matthews is. Eichel is beyond talented in terms of skating, speed, strength and a shot... but one is destined to be a true #1 franchise pivot ala Toews. Winner - Leafs

supporting cast
Reinhart, Rasumus, ROR, Kane v Rielly, JVR, Kadri, Nylander - aside from Kane showing some red flags and my love of JVR... the edge here goes to Buffalo. Reinhart has shown to be very crafty and incredibly fun to watch how he processes the game. ROR is clearly a captain in the makings in spite of his DUI and aversion to Tim Hortons. Kadri is a functional #2C and JVR is on his way out by all reports. Nylander looks to be a special talent. Rielly and Rasmus are a push. Winner - Sabres.

Outlook - as of now the clear winner on the rebuild are the Leafs, but much will be decided in terms of who ends up competing deep into the playoffs 2-3 years down the road based on the decisions that are made in that time. It all starts at the top though and the Leafs are better structure for success than the Sabres are. Winner - Leafs.

How the hell could you not bring up Mitchell Marner? He killed it at the Memorial Cup and he may end up being one of the best 4th overall picks ever.. The Matthews/Marner combo potentially should be every bit as good as Eichel/Reinhart... And I disagree with Risto and Rielly being a push.. Risto will end up being better.. Wlllie Nylander is a player who you will end up complaining about from time to time.. I think he can be a good 2nd liner and be good at what he is good at..But I don't think he is a special talent

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Is this one of those ersatz homosexual relationships that Leonard's mother was talking about on Big Bang Theory?

What do you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvfofcIE1Q

Mr. Pink
06-25-2016, 01:25 PM
All it really comes down to is Goaltender vs Goaltender.

So it's Anderson vs Lehner.

Frederik Anderson wins going away.

Crisis
06-25-2016, 02:44 PM
It's close. Leafs have advantage in coaching but overall, position to position I like our pieces slightly better.

I have faith in GMTM as well.

It's going to be a fun rivalry going forward for sure.

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 09:13 PM
OK, I am now prepared to respond.

My apologies for the delay.

Long day of cooking, gardening, EuroCup2016 and boccie with the local elderly.

I am here now with a very good glass of wine to deal with this...

Crap!

SpikedLemonade
06-25-2016, 09:29 PM
(1) Team President

AGREED

(2) GM

AGREED

(3) head coach

AGREED

(4) Franchise Player

DISAGREE. Eichel is a special player for a special team with a special fan base who were especially disgusting during their 3 year intentional tank.

(5) supporting cast

AGREED

------------------------------------------------------

Good work buddy!

I am with you on 4 of your very 5 valid points.

I think the Sabres owner is heading for trouble..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfeIfiiBTfY

YardRat
06-26-2016, 04:04 AM
Sabres 81 pts, Leafs 69.

As of right now, it appears Buffalo is leading the contest.

We'll see who's doing a better job again a year from now.

Night Train
06-26-2016, 05:32 AM
The Leafs are on a 48 year rebuild. 69 points last year shows it continues and they are not even close.

Historian
06-26-2016, 06:35 AM
(1) Team President

AGREED

I love you guys!

DISAGREE. Eichel is a special player for a special team with a special fan base who were especially disgusting during their 3 year intentional tank.

Agree with Spiked. Jack needs to work on his defensive game, but I believe he's the guy you build around. Made hockey fun around here again.

I'm curious to know why you guys did not address the defense.

Yesterday's trade aside, I think it is the weakest part of the Sabres. (Georges....shudder!)

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 06:59 AM
Sabres 81 pts, Leafs 69.

As of right now, it appears Buffalo is leading the contest.

We'll see who's doing a better job again a year from now.

***** please!

The Leafs tanked for only one season and it was just this past year

Rainman had you on his brilliant strategic plan for a full 3 years.

You are comparing apples to Moon rocks.

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 07:00 AM
The Leafs are on a 48 year rebuild. 69 points last year shows it continues and they are not even close.

You know, I have been accused of posting in a toxic caustic mode but you are just plain nasty.

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 07:02 AM
I love you guys! (Georges....shudder!)

We love you too. Next time bring your A game to the tailgate. It was embarrassing. Still love you. Just a little less.

YardRat
06-26-2016, 07:02 AM
***** please!

The Leafs tanked for only one season and it was just this past year

Rainman had you on his brilliant strategic plan for a full 3 years.

You are comparing apples to Moon rocks.

"Scoreboard"

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 07:05 AM
I'm curious to know why you guys did not address the defense.

You can be bi-curious for all I care because my butt is an exit only orifice.

I did not address the defense because I don't give a crap about the Sabres. Bell Canada tries to force me watch the Sabres for 60 games through a "free" package. Yes, I would rather watch a Trump "speech" rather than watch the Sabres.

Dude
06-26-2016, 10:07 AM
I don't give a crap about the Sabres.Could have fooled me.

Historian
06-26-2016, 12:08 PM
Next time bring your A game to the tailgate.

I did.

I made it to my seat without having a heart attack or pulling a hamstring.

Skooby
06-26-2016, 01:34 PM
I did.

That's good enough.

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 06:59 PM
"Scoreboard"

W-O-W

Is your forehead sore from typing that?

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 07:01 PM
Could have fooled me.

As a very wise man said once...

BLOW ME!!!

coastal
06-26-2016, 07:50 PM
Lolololololol

SpikedLemonade
06-26-2016, 09:52 PM
I did.

That's it?

Really?

POTLAND PSILBYLO
06-28-2016, 05:55 PM
The best Toronto teams usually had Sabres cast offs. Just sayin

YardRat
06-29-2016, 04:00 AM
Compliments of MMD in the Stamkos thread...

Toronto has PROJECTED CAP HIT https://www.capfriendly.com/images/q.svg : $69,234,166

PROJECTED CAP SPACE https://www.capfriendly.com/images/q.svg : $3,765,834

Advantage-Sabres