When Tyrod signed last year, what was your reaction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

When Tyrod signed last year, what was your reaction?

I went a little overboard, but this was my 1st impression (the friend I sent it to, a huge Bills fan, just recently found it & forwarded it back to me) :

Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2015 10:36 AM
    Subject: We now have a starting QB

I don't agree with the last paragraph-by this time next year Tyrod Taylor will be known as "The Franchise"

In his introductory press conference this past Wednesday, new Buffalo Bills quarterback Matt Cassel told reporters that he expected to compete for the team's starting quarterback job this summer with third-year pro EJ Manuel. There may (or may not) now be a third competitor in the race, as well.

In a Thursday morning radio appearance, Bills head coach Rex Ryan let slip that the team had signed free agent quarterback Tyrod Taylor, a fifth-year, former sixth-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens. The signing has not been officially announced, and financial terms are therefore unavailable.

Taylor, who turns 26 in August, has attempted just 35 passes in his pro career, buried behind Joe Flacco on Baltimore's depth chart. The 6'1", 208-pound athlete was a four-year contributor at Virginia Tech, finishing his career there with 7,017 passing yards (on 57.2 percent completions) with 44 touchdowns and 20 interceptions, while adding 2,196 rushing yards (at 4.4 yards per carry) with 23 rushing touchdowns. During the pre-draft process in 2011, Taylor ran a 4.52-second 40-yard dash, had a vertical leap of 37.5 inches, and a broad jump of 10'6" to show off his athleticism.

In reality, Taylor probably does not have a great chance of factoring into the starting quarterback race, as the Bills have made bigger investments in Cassel and especially Manuel, who are also more prototypical of the position. But Taylor would be a tremendous upgrade over Jeff Tuel as the third quarterback, both in terms of athleticism and upside, and at a cheap price, an upgrade is an upgrade. And he certainly has a better shot at playing time in Buffalo than he would have in Baltimore, or pretty much anywhere else, for that matter.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: When Tyrod signed last year, what was your reaction?

Didn't make much of his signing whatever. Figured he was Dennis Dixon 2.0. Figured he'd be cut before the season or replaced by a younger castoff for the practice squad.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

The Buffalo Bills weren't done at quarterback after the Matt Cassel trade, after all: they have signed fifth-year pro Tyrod Taylor, who most recently served as the Baltimore Ravens' backup. In his introductory press conference this past Wednesday, new Buffalo Bills quarterback Matt Cassel told reporters that he expected to
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
        • Mar 2013

Love it. I'm consistent for better or worse.

Me :
        Better or worse they just brought in a younger Dennis Dixon. I think they'll grab Grayson and go into camp with draftee whoever if not Grayson), Cassel (lock), Manuel (lock), Tuel & Taylor.

Almost made me laugh. It was predictable. Think I even mentioned they were sure to sign him in some post, or meant to and lost interest.

Comment

• Mouldsie
          • Aug 2012

I was one of the few people in my circle who knew who he was and liked the signing then predicted he'd start at least 8 games and was told I was nuts.... Once I figured he'd probably win the job then put us out of position for a better bet as a long term franchise QB in Jared Goff, I was less enthused.

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

This thread is way premature...Guy has done nothing here yet, and might not even be the QB in 2017...

Bring this topic up when he's at least taking us to the post-season.
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              This signing has nothing to do with EJ. It's a camp body/injury insurance.

Comment

• Mace
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                I was one of the few people in my circle who knew who he was and liked the signing then predicted he'd start at least 8 games and was told I was nuts.... Once I figured he'd probably win the job then put us out of position for a better bet as a long term franchise QB in Jared Goff, I was less enthused.
                You might want to hold off on Goff until he proves to be a better bet as a long term franchise QB and doesn't end up being Christian Ponder or such.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                  Pinkerton's son
                  • Feb 2006

I remember thinking "Meh - he was decent at VT"

This thread is definitely a little premature, however the point is not many expected him to even play last year let alone play as solidly as he did.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

who?
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

I remembered him playing a complete game for BAL against CIN. B'gals were happy not to face Flacco, but Taylor put up a pretty good performance, save for suffering a late pick 6.

I looked up the stats:

Baltimore Ravens 17 at Cincinnati Bengals 23 on December 30th, 2012 - Full team and player stats and box score
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Victor7
                        • Jul 2013

I thought he was camp fodder too. I'd never heard of him before.

Comment

• bleve
                          • Mar 2005

I regarded it as just another nameless ball-thrower as the likes of Craig Nall, Brian Brohm, etc. The guy balled pretty well last year - save for the already mentioned drawbacks.

If Wrecks didn't sabotage the defense last year, we may have made some noise.
                          "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                          ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• Gibby
                            • Jun 2006

Thought he would be a fairly decent pickup and was a decent decision. Did not expect a world beater, but just someone who would not cost us too many victories. So far my hypothesis has proven correct.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              You might want to hold off on Goff until he proves to be a better bet as a long term franchise QB and doesn't end up being Christian Ponder or such.
                              God help him with Jeff Fisher and no WR/TE's

Comment

Working...
                              X