PDA

View Full Version : Some interesting stuff on Tyrod

Topas
07-08-2016, 03:02 AM
check this out:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2016/film-room-tyrod-taylor

this is an exceptional series of articles. Very well done and informative and in detail. Thankfully they did now an article on Tyrod.

There is nothing that is entirely new, but some nice details to support the conclusion of: good QB that is performing above averade but does not have a much higher ceiling.

bleve
07-08-2016, 02:44 PM
If the defense improves, he doesn't need to get that much better. There's room for improvement for sure, but he is solid.

Mace
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
I'm not a Taylor fanboi, I don't think he's robust, but at the same time I agree he was essentially a 27 year old rookie as the author notes, in a new offense, and so I can't really agree with the conclusion he doesn't have a much higher ceiling. I mean I'm not saying I know what his ceiling is one way or another from the results

They published the chart (scatter chart ?) I've always been looking for, which confirms the offense wasn't calling plays over the middle, no way to tell how Taylor would do there, and noted the sensible reason why (lurking lb's, safeties) while mentioning it was a purposeful approach.

It mentioned the 13 avoidable sacks being high, but it makes sense in the context of becoming familiar with his reads in a new offense his first year as a starter.

It mentioned him along with Newton and Wilson as QB's in the same vein, but both have matured in their offenses.

I'm not saying he's Newton or Wilson. But I think it's notable he was a first year starter in the first year of a new offense, within a setting controlled by the offensive staff (I still think Lee and Lal do passing game within Roman's parameters), in terms of what his ceiling may or may not be. I think we find out better if he stays healthy, now in a more familiar system, and more comfortable in his role as starter in a potential contract year besides.

Great read. Made sure I saved the chart for reference.

Night Train
07-09-2016, 07:08 AM
I know Tyrod is small for a QB and the odds are against him, due to durability concerns.

I still root for him because he obviously plays with a ton of passion and heart. Puts in the work beyond the norm. I don't question his effort... It's top shelf.

They've been rolling him out more in practice to create his own passing lanes. If he can find the TE and slot WR in the middle of the field, we may have something. That's coaching and I'm looking forward to this season.

stuckincincy
07-10-2016, 12:37 PM
The comments following at the end were interesting.

HHURRICANE
07-10-2016, 01:06 PM
NFL Sirriys did a QB preview and basically said Roman is designing plays to take advantage of his limited skills.

Mace
07-10-2016, 04:52 PM
NFL Sirriys did a QB preview and basically said Roman is designing plays to take advantage of his limited skills.

Article quoted here itself says the Roman designed plays to adjust to his limited experience. Makes more sense to me than his limited skills.

sukie
07-11-2016, 07:42 AM
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CymqdsTXqYk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="480" width="854"></iframe>

I thought this was cool

swiper
08-08-2016, 03:38 AM
He's good, but he's no Alex Tanney.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SxDJb03a0yo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>