PDA

View Full Version : CB Gilmore To Play Out Final Year

DraftBoy
07-22-2016, 11:03 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676230/article/bills-cb-stephon-gilmore-will-play-out-contract-in-2016

Tyrod Taylor isn't the only Buffalo Bills star set to reach free agency in 2017.

Standout cornerback Stephon Gilmore will play out the final year of his rookie contract this season, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on Friday.

Gilmore skipped organized team activities in late May, but reported to mandatory minicamp in June. There's no reason to believe he will hold out of training camp next week.

Although general manager Doug Whaley noted in April that he was "actively" attempting to find common ground with Gilmore's representatives, talks never progressed, per Rapoport.

When Rex Ryan's coaching staff arrived in Buffalo two offseasons ago, they immediately began singing the praises of Gilmore as a shutdown corner.

"Where people miss it sometimes is, how many balls get caught on him? They don't complete passes on him," Ryan said in February of 2015. "Now, he might not get all the interceptions ... (but) they're not completing balls on him. ... This guy's an elite guy. There's no question about it."

Quick and physical, Gilmore teams with Ronald Darby to specialize in contested passes, comprising one of the NFL's top cornerback tandems.

So good news is no holdout, bad news is that once again we failed to get an extension done early and it may cost us.

stuckincincy
07-22-2016, 11:22 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000676230/article/bills-cb-stephon-gilmore-will-play-out-contract-in-2016

So good news is no holdout, bad news is that once again we failed to get an extension done early and it may cost us.

I'd guess he will play this coming season to avoid injury, then.

swiper
07-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Same old Bills.

Gilmore will tease the Bills, but ultimately go to New Orleans. Then we can listen to coastal whine about that to us for the next 2 or 3 years.

He's still butt hurt over losing Jabari Greer.

stuckincincy
07-22-2016, 11:46 AM
Same old Bills.

Gilmore will tease the Bills, but ultimately go to New Orleans. Then we can listen to coastal whine about that to us for the next 2 or 3 years.

He's still butt hurt over losing Jabari Greer.

I wonder where the Jarius Byrd fanboys are, these days...

Joe Fo Sho
07-22-2016, 11:54 AM

They're still hanging out with the Levitre Lovers.

stuckincincy
07-22-2016, 12:11 PM
They're still hanging out with the Levitre Lovers.

I think they drink with the Sammy Watkins Wackos. Good Lord, they made that goofy trade to move in 2014 and grabbed a WR for a club sans a decent QB and lifted their leg on Khalil Mack. OAK with the next pick must have been laughing...

trapezeus
07-22-2016, 12:39 PM
while Gilmore is very good, you have to keep your front seven as the talented ones. we have darby and as long as he doesn't have a sophomore slump, the bills have one elite db at a cheaper cost. put the money to linemen and qbs.

stuckincincy
07-22-2016, 12:53 PM
while Gilmore is very good, you have to keep your front seven as the talented ones. we have darby and as long as he doesn't have a sophomore slump, the bills have one elite db at a cheaper cost. put the money to linemen and qbs.

Indeed. Too early for a new contract for Darby, but I'd write up a rider and fling a quarter-million of income-inequality dough his way to reward and inspire him. :bigheart:

Night Train
07-22-2016, 02:19 PM
The dime a dozen mantra is now going towards CB's. There seems to be several dozen of them every draft year that can run like the wind and cover fairly good.

Pressure is still the best pass D. They deserve the $, not D secondary players.

SpikedLemonade
07-22-2016, 02:23 PM
Whatever

swiper
07-22-2016, 03:51 PM

You mean we have Darby until the same thing happens with him?

Mace
07-22-2016, 04:15 PM
The dime a dozen mantra is now going towards CB's. There seems to be several dozen of them every draft year that can run like the wind and cover fairly good.

Pressure is still the best pass D. They deserve the $, not D secondary players.

Agree strongly. Any DB's coming out of college now make their bones against the pass happy, slinging spread offenses that make fun college QB's but stunted development pro QB's. Difference at pro level nowadays is the defensive front 7. DB's come out better prepared every year while imho QB's come out less prepared for the pro game as it stands.

Let him play it out, if he can stay healthy, let him walk. I'd never say the same thing about linemen anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

That might be the cycle in the modern game with db's now.

DesertFox24
07-22-2016, 04:58 PM
He deserves good money but I am not sure he is top paid CB. Hopefully we can get tyrod done before end of season or he proves to be a bum and we can franchise Gilmore. He wants to be here but is starting point is crazy. Although he is better than Norman as Norman is a zone guy and Gilmore is a man guy.

At some point good players will walk with the way we have been drafting in early rounds but CB is a primary position. We would have to make some cuts to keep him if tyrod gets paid which as a fan we all hope he proves to be the guy.

YardRat
07-22-2016, 05:37 PM
If you don't want to lose first round cornerbacks when their rookie contract is up, quit drafting them in the first round.

Mace
07-22-2016, 05:51 PM
but CB is a primary position. We would have to make some cuts to keep him

I just can't agree in this case, but figure it won't matter anyway because I expect him to get hurt.

feldspar
07-22-2016, 06:46 PM
DBS are too important, fellas; in fact they constitute almost half the freakin' defense in a lot of cases...be it in nickel packages or whatever. If you don't have quality ones, the opposing offense will game-plan to exploit that, and there are several ways to do that.

You got a quality CB to take out the other team's primary WR, and that's a big thing to worry less about. I think the salary cap went up about $32 million in the past three years, or about $8 or $9 million per year. There is no reason not to invest in a talented corner. They aren't plug-and-play...not really.

Mace
07-22-2016, 07:56 PM
DBS are too important, fellas; in fact they constitute almost half the freakin' defense in a lot of cases...be it in nickel packages or whatever. If you don't have quality ones, the opposing offense will game-plan to exploit that, and there are several ways to do that.

You got a quality CB to take out the other team's primary WR, and that's a big thing to worry less about. I think the salary cap went up about $32 million in the past three years, or about $8 or $9 million per year. There is no reason not to invest in a talented corner. They aren't plug-and-play...not really.

But they're coming out of college yearly after facing pass heavy spread offenses every year through their college careers, and will face the same QB's in the less forgiving (for qb's) pro offenses ?

OpIv37
07-22-2016, 08:08 PM
Calculated risk on Gilmore's part.

The Bills are limited in cap space now. They will be in great shape next year. If he has a good season, either the Bills pay him or someone else will. The risk is that he may regress or get hurt.

jamze132
07-23-2016, 06:25 AM
Use the resources elsewhere. Draft a CB or two every draft.

tampabay25690
07-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Its a scenario now that we either are going to sign Tyrod or Gilmore and most likely not both.
S

IlluminatusUIUC
07-23-2016, 10:56 AM
Use the resources elsewhere. Draft a CB or two every draft.

We do.

swiper
07-23-2016, 11:49 AM
It's the Brandon directive.

SpikedLemonade
07-24-2016, 02:41 AM
Draft a CB or two every draft.

CRAP!!!!

swiper
07-24-2016, 03:43 AM
You forgot the little TM.

SpikedLemonade
07-24-2016, 05:00 AM
You forgot the little TM.

I can't trademark the word "crap".

WTF is wrong with you.

You should know better than that.

After all, you are working with it on a daily basis.

swiper
07-24-2016, 08:29 AM
You can if you put four exclamation marks after it.

SpikedLemonade
07-24-2016, 09:03 AM
You can if you put four exclamation marks after it.

OK.

I did the on-line trademark search and I can't trademark it even with 15 exclamation marks.

It fails the test of uniqueness.

mdcas22
07-24-2016, 10:41 AM
I think you make a decent offer and if he doesn't sign let him go and draft a couple in 2017 but not in round 1, maybe round 2 and after. this way you keep the salary cap down at the position, every 4 years you have to have a rookie cb that can push for a starting position. isn't that the belicheck way?

trapezeus
07-24-2016, 11:20 AM

You have a cap on expenses. Throwing money at dbs rarely works. You have to draft dbs well and you need depth in the secondary. But you need your captains and your difference maker in the pass rush and run defense. If you do that well, pretty much any zone will bail you out.
and then factor in random pass interference, why put $14-16mm into a guy whose most plays will be determined by the refs?

swiper
07-24-2016, 12:06 PM
OK.

I did the on-line trademark search and I can't trademark it even with 15 exclamation marks.

It fails the test of uniqueness.

You've got to jazz it up then.

Craptique.

Crapolicious.

Dandy Crap.

Like that.

swiper
07-24-2016, 12:08 PM
You have a cap on expenses. Throwing money at dbs rarely works. You have to draft dbs well and you need depth in the secondary. But you need your captains and your difference maker in the pass rush and run defense. If you do that well, pretty much any zone will bail you out.
and then factor in random pass interference, why put $14-16mm into a guy whose most plays will be determined by the refs?

The importance of CBs has changed starkly over recent years due to NFL rules changes.

jimmifli
07-24-2016, 02:53 PM

Still cheering for a team that doesn't make good personnel decisions and hasn't made the playoffs since 1999.

DesertFox24
07-24-2016, 04:30 PM
Here is my feeling. I love Gilmore and I think he is a good player. I got my masters degree at South Carolina so have been a fan of his since college days.

The problem is he is not the best corner in the game. I would pay him 13 to 14 million but if he wants more than that then let him test free agency to see if he can get it or If leaving for a few extra million is worth it. The Ravens and steelers do this all the time. They have great relationship with the agents and they say look this is our offer please let us know if you are getting something else. We would like to keep you and want you to feel like you got best offer so see what best offer is and we will let you know if we can match.

That is how we need to approach this I just do not see anyone paying Gilmore 15 or even 14 a year. I say let him test an allow us to match because we want you but we also want you to feel like you got a good deal.

DesertFox24
07-24-2016, 04:32 PM
I think you make a decent offer and if he doesn't sign let him go and draft a couple in 2017 but not in round 1, maybe round 2 and after. this way you keep the salary cap down at the position, every 4 years you have to have a rookie cb that can push for a starting position. isn't that the belicheck way?

Heck cbs and qbs and pass rush need to be drafted every year in my humble opinion. At the min a CB and pass rusher

SpikedLemonade
07-24-2016, 05:04 PM
You've got to jazz it up then.

Craptique.

Crapolicious.

Dandy Crap.

Like that.

You are correct Sir BowellTM.

I never thought of that.

I am knee deep in thought and you are elbow deep in ass.

DesertFox24
07-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Oh and regarding Darby in 4 years I think that is another reason bills may consider letting Gilmore go. Darby may actually be better than Gilmore this year will be the determining factor in that. Also Gilmore has missed several games and availability is another aspect in getting big time money.

OpIv37
07-24-2016, 05:33 PM
So next year, CB will be a position of need on top of all the positions we didn't address this year and whatever new issues arise during the season.

Our 15 year anniversary is coming up this Jan. There hasn't been a Bills playoff game since we met. I have a bad feeling I'll be posting about our 20th before I'm posting about a Bills playoff game.

DesertFox24
07-24-2016, 05:33 PM
I would love to keep both. The cap is getting to point where we should be able to keep more good players than we lose. But then again you also get teams that pay stupid money and is messes it up for everyone else.

DesertFox24
07-24-2016, 05:36 PM
So next year, CB will be a position of need on top of all the positions we didn't address this year and whatever new issues arise during the season.

Our 15 year anniversary is coming up this Jan. There hasn't been a Bills playoff game since we met. I have a bad feeling I'll be posting about our 20th before I'm posting about a Bills playoff game.

Well I know your mantra is doom and gloom but at some point the team has to be let guys go.

Let's say tyrod plays like a franchise guy and we pay him and have the option of paying Gilmore now and losing Sammy or letting Gilmore walk and locking up Sammy.

What do you do.

The reason we have sucked has to do with the qb position so even if tyrod sucks and we resign Gilmore it is not going to matter.

I want us to sign Gilmore I really do and I love the guy but he has not won us a game

stuckincincy
07-24-2016, 07:22 PM

:rofl:

Good one, Opi !!!

Ginger Vitis
07-24-2016, 07:33 PM
So next year, CB will be a position of need

You're anger over Gilmore leaving is a bit puzzling considering you have called Gilmore overrated and a average CB as recently as last year

Ginger Vitis
07-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Cant blame the Bills for not giving Gilmore the $15 million a year he was reported to be looking for... $12 to $13 million a year with $25 million guaranteed seems reasonable

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Any bills fan who thinks Gilmore is a average CB is nuts.. PPF had him as the 10th best CB in 2015
https://twitter.com/pff/status/684116719686815744

OpIv37
07-24-2016, 09:43 PM
You're anger over Gilmore leaving is a bit puzzling considering you have called Gilmore overrated and a average CB as recently as last year

The FO creating holes isn't about me. Who do we have that's equal or better? Letting a guy walk rather than overpaying him is one thing. It's actually something that this team is pretty good at. Finding a replacement that's equal or better- not so much.

trapezeus
07-25-2016, 06:23 AM
show me a team that has been successful with a great secondary and no rush and no big name linebackers? the bills seem to consistently findCB's in the draft.

coastal
07-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Why is Doug Whaley the GM?

because he's of no threat to Russ Brandon.

SpikedLemonade
07-25-2016, 09:04 PM
Why is Doug Whaley the GM?

because he's of no threat to Russ Brandon.

Rex will have Doug fired after this season.

coastal
07-25-2016, 09:06 PM
Rex will have Doug fired after this season.
And another non-threatening GM will be installed.

SpikedLemonade
07-25-2016, 09:11 PM
And another non-threatening GM will be installed.

Yup.

Rinse and repeat.

DesertFox24
07-26-2016, 03:56 PM
Well Doug did draft Darby who is pretty darn good. Maybe this new corner will be ok maybe he will not be.

That said if Darby becomes a legit number 1 then we do have a replacement, would be better to have both of those guys but how many teams have two great corners.

The answer is none because they make a lot of money.

I think bills are waiting to see how Darby does before making gilmore top paid CB