PDA

View Full Version : Gilbride choice to tutor the Bills' QBs

TypicalBill
07-26-2003, 08:58 AM
When it came time to hiring a quarterbacks coach to replace Steve Kragthorpe, who left to become head coach at the University of Tulsa, Buffalo Bills coach Gregg Williams merely walked down the hallway.

Handing that role to offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride was a no-brainer. Gilbride broke into the NFL as quarterbacks coach of the Houston Oilers in 1989, a team Williams joined a year later.

“ Really, last year was the first year I didn’t coordinate and coach the quarterbacks at the same time,” Gilbride said. “ It was nice because Steve Kragthorpe did a great job and it gave me a chance to get involved in the other drills and circulate around. But it’s not something I’m not already accustomed to.”

During training camp, Gilbride is running individual drills with quarterbacks Drew Bledsoe, Alex Van Pelt, Travis Brown and Jason Johnson.Keep reading (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0726F61AQR3_billsnotes26_bills.shtml?0726F61AQR3_billsnotes26_bills.shtml)

WG
07-26-2003, 09:20 AM
Yeah, he did a fine job w/ Ryan Leaf!

Can't wait for him to get his hands on Drew and Brown.

Don't listen fellas!

Drew and Travis should each buy some of those eyeballs you stick in your eyes to make it look like you're awake, and then use them while catching some Zs when "being lectured by Kevin!"

Doc
07-26-2003, 09:47 AM
Ryan Leaf? Is that the best you could come up with Wys? That's like saying he failed with RJ.

WG
07-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Well, which other O.C. in the league would dare throw the ball as much as Gilbride did w/ Leaf under center?

I cannot imagine that there's too many...

Besides, since when does "surrounding talent" have to do w/ jack?

It doesn't appear to matter w/ Drew!

It certainly didn't matter for RJ as he had arguably the worst Bill's OL in history and no RB.

So why all of a sudden does this emphasis on "talent" have to do w/ anything?

It just doesn't make any sense I tell ya...

:evil:

RedEyE
07-26-2003, 03:47 PM
Leaf had a lack of ambition. He came to the draft combine that year nearly 40lbs overweight, the ultimate reason Manning was chosen by Indy over his 1st round draft rival.

Lets not forget that Gilbride has also been the coach of several strong QBs. He coached Pro Bowlers Jim Everett, Steve Buerlin, Mark Bruenell, Kordell Stewart and 9x Pro Bowl reciepent Warren Moon, totaling 15 Pro Bowls from just 5 QBs (not including Drew of course). Ironically enough, the other big "mistake" that Gilbride made, next to Leaf anyway, was Rob Johnson. RJ was drafted a rookie the same year Gilbride went to work for the Jags. You never know, had Gilbride not been offered a head coaching position with San Diego the following season, he may have been able to help harness RJs talents. All in all, not too shabby in my book.

Jan Reimers
07-27-2003, 06:25 AM
Gilbride's not a brain surgeon, so he couldn't give Leaf the only thing that might have helped - a lobotomy.

WG
07-27-2003, 10:19 AM
Apparently he felt Leaf didn't need one to rely on him nearly as much as he did. Leaf was at the top of the league in attempts while KG was there!

Again, just another practical endorsement as to how useless a measure "attempts" are for records or other indicators of success.

WG
07-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Actually, not sure, I think the team had tons of attempts, not Leaf, at least on a season. I don't recall Leaf ever playing the entire year. His per game attempts may have been high.

We'll find out this year what's goin' on here however.

It's really, really simple. We either run the ball, or don't. If we don't, then we'll know exactly how bright Gilbride is and whether or not he has an agenda!

TypicalBill
07-27-2003, 10:24 AM
i dont like what ive seen from Gilbride, atleast not from what ive seen last year... we coulda been one of the most consistent offensive teams in the league had he took a more balanced approach instead of letting Drew throw all the time... i remember 3rd and 2 / 3rd and 1 situations where we threw! that when we had one of the best run-blocking offensive lines.

WG
07-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Indeed TB!!!

JR,

I was right!

W/ stellar QBs Leaf and Whelihan, sure HoFers no doubt, :rolleyes:, Gilbride's team threw 565 times, which doesn't include times sacked, to running the ball only 411 times, which is perfectly consistent w/ what happened here last year.

I have no idea how many times S.D. QBs were sacked that season, but assuming that they were sacked only 24 times, which is likely way under, then the %age passing was 59% of the time!

THIS was w/ LEAF at the helm! It's in the 60s% if the sack totals were more than 30, which I'm quite sure they were.

In '97: 565 (N/I sacks) to 370 rushes! Over 60% passing!

His predecessor was 8-8, his successor also 8-8. Wedged in between was KG at 4-12 and 5-11!

So it is Gilbride!

WG
07-27-2003, 10:42 AM
KG's Chargers were 1st in the league in '98 in attempts and 7th in '97 in attempts!

I mean if you can be 4-12, down from 8-8 the year prior by being 7th, HEY, let's try throwing more! Right! :rolleyes:

I'm convinced the man's an idiot!

As well, I'm sure he saw all the talent in a washed up Everett, Whelihan, Philcox, and let's not forget Leaf! Mr. Attitude.

The_Philster
07-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Wys Guy
a washed up Everett

:scratch: You mean Chris? :D

WG
07-27-2003, 01:42 PM
No, I mean Jim. When he was on the Chargers he was horrible. Not that he was ever great, but he was on the skids by then.

The_Philster
07-27-2003, 01:50 PM
Did you forget about the Jim Everett-Jim Rome squabble? ;)

Jan Reimers
07-28-2003, 07:16 AM
I believe KG has much more offensive talent to work with now than in his Leaf-Everett years in SD. I do agree that he needs to stay with the running game more this year. DB will be a far better QB in a balanced attack.

G. Host
07-28-2003, 07:21 AM
Bills are saying they put too much pressure on Bledsoe:

"Last year he (Bledsoe) might have felt pressure to do too much, especially in that game," Bills Coach Gregg Williams said. "A little of it was him pressing, but, obviously, we weren't good enough as a team. They were better than us. But I want him, and we all want him, to go into this season knowing that all he has to do is play his position and do his job, especially in that ballgame."

I hope they both have learned the lesson - Gilbride not to throw so much and Bledsoe not to audible to throw so much. Blesdsoe DID learn to be a vocal leader, something he was NOT in New England, so there is hope.

Tatonka
07-28-2003, 12:31 PM
wys blaming leafs career on KG now.. classic..

:snicker: