PDA

View Full Version : This will be Shady's last season in Buffalo

Skooby
07-27-2016, 11:52 AM
IMO- We have invested way to much in this injured player. We have a $15,300,000 dead cap with him this season, which flattens out next season. There's no way we pay him ~ $9 Million next year, RB's are dime a dozen and injured ones are worth much less. He gets nicked nearly every game & is not durable, Chip got the nest out of him a few years back and he's spent.

Plan on him being moved after this season, no way he sticks around.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/lesean-mccoy/

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2016, 11:56 AM
We have a $15,300,000 dead cap with him this season, which flattens out next season.

Cap savings vs Contract Year

2017 - $1MM
2018 - $3.7MM
2019 - $6.425MM

I could see him being here through the 2017 season, we take on $8MM in dead cap if we cut him next year to save only $1MM.

Skooby
07-27-2016, 12:01 PM

2017 - $1MM
2018 - $3.7MM
2019 - $6.425MM

I could see him being here through the 2017 season, we take on $8MM in dead cap if we cut him next year to save only $1MM.

What if he's traded ?

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2016, 12:43 PM
What if he's traded ?

I'm pretty sure the numbers don't change between being traded or cut.

I think it's more likely that we cut him in 2018, where we take on $5.25MM in dead cap for a $3.7MM savings. Who knows, though.

OpIv37
07-27-2016, 12:52 PM
What if he's traded ?
When players are traded, the contract and any cap implications typically get transferred to the new team's books.

I know that the NHL allows teams to trade players and keep a portion of the salary on the books. That way, they can move a guy to a team without a lot of cap space and the original team doesn't have to eat all of the cap implications of a cut. I don't know if the NFL allows that.

Skooby
07-27-2016, 12:58 PM
When players are traded, the contract and any cap implications typically get transferred to the new team's books.

I know that the NHL allows teams to trade players and keep a portion of the salary on the books. That way, they can move a guy to a team without a lot of cap space and the original team doesn't have to eat all of the cap implications of a cut. I don't know if the NFL allows that.

Does Shady seem like a good investment to you OP at his current numbers ?? ~$9 Million for a RB is like out of mind money right now, right ?

Joe Fo Sho
07-27-2016, 01:06 PM

I know baseball allows for things like that as well. I don't think the NFL allows for that, at least I've never heard of anything like it.

If the Bills have paid a player $20MM in actual money, but only $10MM has counted against the cap so far, when he is traded that extra $10MM instantly becomes dead cap space. They have to account for the actual money that they've paid a player, which I'm pretty sure dead cap space accounts for. Otherwise, you could pay a player more money that was ever counted towards the salary cap, which doesn't sound right to me. Every dime you pay a player has to end up counting against the cap at one point or another.

I'm not 100% on this, it's probably more complicated than I'm making it out to be.

OpIv37
07-27-2016, 01:14 PM
I know baseball allows for things like that as well. I don't think the NFL allows for that, at least I've never heard of anything like it.

If the Bills have paid a player $20MM in actual money, but only $10MM has counted against the cap so far, when he is traded that extra $10MM instantly becomes dead cap space. They have to account for the actual money that they've paid a player, which I'm pretty sure dead cap space accounts for. Otherwise, you could pay a player more money that was ever counted towards the salary cap, which doesn't sound right to me. Every dime you pay a player has to end up counting against the cap at one point or another.

I'm not 100% on this, it's probably more complicated than I'm making it out to be.
That sounds about right. What I said was true for the portions of the contract not already paid but I didn't think about signing bonuses. Any portion of the signing bonus that wasn't already amortized against the cap would become dead cap space upon a trade- which is basically another way of saying what you just said.

Ed
07-27-2016, 03:11 PM
I believe when a player is traded the team is still responsible for any bonus money that has been paid, but prorated over future years. So if they traded McCoy after this season they would still be looking at almost $8 mil in dead money with little savings. I would expect that McCoy is going to be here through at least 2017.

Night Train
07-27-2016, 04:24 PM
If we keep cutting our starters, we can save a bundle !

When did we become a board full of accountants who wish to field a JV team ?

Goobylal
07-27-2016, 04:31 PM
You talk as if he's injured a lot. He isn't. And while I love Sammy's potential, Shady is still the most talented player on the offense.

Luisito23
07-27-2016, 05:06 PM
He has two good years tops, so might as well keep him until '17.

Goobylal
07-27-2016, 05:09 PM

There's no way to predict this.

Skooby
07-27-2016, 06:25 PM

He's perpetually injured, so there's huge money invested in a guy on the sideline.

Goobylal
07-27-2016, 06:31 PM
He's perpetually injured, so there's huge money invested in a guy on the sideline.

"Perpetually injured"? When, just last year? Yet still contributed almost 1,200 yards and 5 TDs?

stuckincincy
07-27-2016, 07:16 PM
"Perpetually injured"? When, just last year? Yet still contributed almost 1,200 yards and 5 TDs?

I'd say the team has some reasonable concerns about him, though. Picking a RB in the 5th this past draft was a bit of a surprise to me.

Skooby
07-27-2016, 10:07 PM
I'd say the team has some reasonable concerns about him, though. Picking a RB in the 5th this past draft was a bit of a surprise to me.

It speaks volumes, $9 M is too much to pay him next season.

BertSquirtgum
07-27-2016, 11:31 PM
IMO- We have invested way to much in this injured player. We have a $15,300,000 dead cap with him this season, which flattens out next season. There's no way we pay him ~ $9 Million next year, RB's are dime a dozen and injured ones are worth much less. He gets nicked nearly every game & is not durable, Chip got the nest out of him a few years back and he's spent.

Wrong.......

GreedoII
07-28-2016, 04:58 AM

so why the hell did they even bring him in??? I hate this team.....16 yrs strong..where's that playoff drought clock at!!!???

Goobylal
07-28-2016, 05:24 AM

It speaks volumes, $9 M is too much to pay him next season.

I think it was a combination of Jonathan Williams representing Great value in the fifth round, Karlos' issues, and Shady getting up there in age and the Bills not knowing when he would need to be replaced. I think he could very well be gone in 2017, but no way before then.

Skooby
07-28-2016, 06:27 AM
I think it was a combination of Jonathan Williams representing Great value in the fifth round, Karlos' issues, and Shady getting up there in age and the Bills not knowing when he would need to be replaced. I think he could very well be gone in 2017, but no way before then.

He's good for this season until he gets a tweak or two, then he will shipped off. The market for RB is super soft, like a dime a dozen.

Goobylal
07-28-2016, 06:48 AM
He's good for this season until he gets a tweak or two, then he will shipped off. The market for RB is super soft, like a dime a dozen.

Please. The market for dime a dozen backs is soft. For guys like McCoy, it isn't.

Buffalogic
07-28-2016, 06:48 AM
He will be gone before the start of the 2018 season.

DesertFox24
07-28-2016, 01:07 PM

2017 - $1MM
2018 - $3.7MM
2019 - $6.425MM

Yes I agree I think he has this year and next at a min.

stuckincincy
07-28-2016, 07:42 PM

Sounds right. Given their OL situation, I was hoping they would have selected the ASU OL Christian Westerman.

HHURRICANE
07-29-2016, 02:02 AM
Again not sure why soo much hate for McCoy who looked pretty good last year when he was healthy.

The cap space is great if we are signing Tom Brady.

Skooby
07-29-2016, 05:26 AM
Again not sure why soo much hate for McCoy who looked pretty good last year when he was healthy.

The cap space is great if we are signing Tom Brady.

We basically have a free starting QB versus the $18 Million or so we have to pay Tyrod & Gilmore is looking for a contract, 6 RB's with 1 of them earning $9 Million is a luxury we can ill afford. We are going to have to find a way to dump him off unless he stays healthy, then an argument can be made to keep him aboard. The RB spot is very soft and we can draft a few good ones, Shady isn't that much more amazing especially if constantly debilitated.

justasportsfan
07-29-2016, 06:07 AM
Seeing that skoobs has been wrong about everything lately , looks like Shadys going ro the bills' wall of fame

Goobylal
07-29-2016, 06:58 AM
We basically have a free starting QB versus the $18 Million or so we have to pay Tyrod & Gilmore is looking for a contract, 6 RB's with 1 of them earning $9 Million is a luxury we can ill afford. We are going to have to find a way to dump him off unless he stays healthy, then an argument can be made to keep him aboard. The RB spot is very soft and we can draft a few good ones, Shady isn't that much more amazing especially if constantly debilitated.

The Bills have money to sign TT and Gilmore. I doubt though that they want to pay Gilmore $15M a year.

And give up the injury thing until he misses more than a couple games this year.

elroy16
07-29-2016, 09:03 AM
RB LeSean McCoy said he's around 210 lbs, lightest he's been in years. "I've got a lot to prove this year."

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/759046957792755713

LeSean McCoy says incidents like one at Philly nightclub in Feb "can't happen. No excuses for it." #Bills

https://twitter.com/viccarucci/status/759048889416749056

He's saying the right things, hopefully he follows up on it.

PromoTheRobot
07-29-2016, 01:36 PM

When is Reggie Bush showing up?