PDA

View Full Version : Foles is being released, should the Bills get him ???

Skooby
07-27-2016, 01:26 PM
I'd toss EJ to the curb on first blush, bring Foles into camp as a backup with CJ watching and learning:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/27/report-foles-will-be-cut-become-free-agent/#comment-5144641

Skooby
07-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Someone wrote BB EJ on PFT, LOL.

Luisito23
07-27-2016, 01:37 PM
ABCDEFGHI...:calm:

Mr. Miyagi
07-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Foles sucks. NO

Skooby
07-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Foles sucks. NO

Foles had some level of success, EJ has had none and regressed. Can everyone here realize we have no back up QB at all ?? TT is going to miss a game or two, almost assuredly and we will have nothing but a loss. Wake up folks, it's time.

OpIv37
07-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Even if we wanted to do this, how would we make the cap space?

swiper
07-27-2016, 02:38 PM
Foles sucks. NO

2013 he had 27 TDs/2 INT with a 64% completion percentage. Yeah. We're pretty sure you don't know WTF you're talking about. He's an easy upgrade over EJ Manuel.

Ginger Vitis
07-27-2016, 02:58 PM
Even if we wanted to do this, how would we make the cap space?

They have cap space.. Cordy Glenns extension freed up close to $ 8 million in space
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/

The Jokeman
07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
Low risk at this point and with only 3 QBs on the roster makes sense to add one to shake up the mix.

YardRat
07-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Throw $4-5mil at him (same as Sanchez) and if he bites bring him in.

The Jokeman
07-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Throw $4-5mil at him (same as Sanchez) and if he bites bring him in.

That's way too much, at most give him $2.5 million.

Mace
07-27-2016, 05:36 PM
He had one really good year with Chip Kelly, then Kelly didn't even want him. Rams traded for him, now they don't want him. He's a pocket passer, not mobile, doesn't fit the offense, too expensive. I don't see the point.

Skooby
07-27-2016, 06:23 PM
He had one really good year with Chip Kelly, then Kelly didn't even want him. Rams traded for him, now they don't want him. He's a pocket passer, not mobile, doesn't fit the offense, too expensive. I don't see the point.

EJ <<<<<< Foles, get the point ?? EJ is not an NFL QB and he's not going to be, experiment over.

IlluminatusUIUC
07-27-2016, 06:27 PM
He's not terrible, but that 2013 season was a mirage.

Mace
07-27-2016, 07:18 PM
EJ <<<<<< Foles, get the point ?? EJ is not an NFL QB and he's not going to be, experiment over.

He's an immobile pocket passer, he doesn't fit. You can't even think Foles would have a prayer standing there forever trying to figure out what he's doing with that right side of the line. So you'd rather see Foles crushed over and over throwing int's, than EJ running around before throwing an incompletion ?

trapezeus
07-27-2016, 07:21 PM
Ej is on this roster because he's more expensive to dump than to keep. This is his last year and hopefully we don't need to use him. I also think you need back ups who fit your starters offense. It's only fair to the rest of the team. Foles may be better than EJ, I would never debate otherwise, but I don't see the coast of dumping ej worth it

Skooby
07-27-2016, 10:11 PM
Ej is on this roster because he's more expensive to dump than to keep. This is his last year and hopefully we don't need to use him. I also think you need back ups who fit your starters offense. It's only fair to the rest of the team. Foles may be better than EJ, I would never debate otherwise, but I don't see the coast of dumping ej worth it

When you have 6 RB's, roster spots become a premium (Even failed QB ones).

swiper
07-28-2016, 03:57 AM

This. He would be a good addition to our offense as a back-up.

feldspar
07-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Seems like it at this point.

Exactly why we need to see more from Taylor.

k-oneputt
07-28-2016, 08:39 AM
Simple question, who would you rather starting if Tyrod goes down, Foles or EJ.

Enough said.

k-oneputt
07-28-2016, 08:45 AM
Vic Carucci reporting Bills not interested in Foles.

Whaley just can't get over his EJ f-up.
Better hope Tyrod doesn't get hurt or Whaley will be looking for a job come January.

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2016, 08:46 AM
Simple question, who would you rather starting if Tyrod goes down, Foles or EJ.

EJ

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2016, 08:47 AM
Better hope Tyrod doesn't get hurt or Whaley will be looking for a job come January.

This opinion remains the same whether we have EJ or Foles as a backup. We're more than likely doomed if we have to use either of them.

k-oneputt
07-28-2016, 08:53 AM
Foles is functional, he has proven that already in this league.

EJ has proven we have to overcome his play to have any chance of winning.

feldspar
07-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Foles is too white maybe.

Joe Fo Sho
07-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Foles is functional, he has proven that already in this league.

EJ has proven we have to overcome his play to have any chance of winning.

Foles has had bad games just like EJ. He had a nice 3 INT game in a blowout against Cincy and a 4 INT, 140 yard showing against the Packers this past year. His team couldn't overcome him just like we couldn't overcome EJ in the Jacksonville game. I'm assuming that's the game you're talking about...it's the game everyone talks about.

Victor7
07-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Get him.

He's better than EJ. Well almost anyone is but yeah by all means lets do it. I don't ever wanna see 3 play a down for my team.

Foles may not be a star but he's at least proven to be serviceable. He's had ****ty games for sure but he's also had good ones. EJ's best game remains his 1st vs the Pats ages ago. Everything else has been close to unwatchable.

Skooby
07-28-2016, 10:22 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JasonColeBR/status/758517919366148096

Mace
07-28-2016, 06:16 PM
Can't get around the obvious. Besides not being any good, Foles doesn't fit the offense anyway. Pretty odd for anyone to think players are plug and play wherever, ignoring that they just aren't.

k-oneputt
07-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Where exactly does EJ fit ?
He has never played well when called upon.

Mace
07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Where exactly does EJ fit ?
He has never played well when called upon.

He moves. They don't want a pocket passer behind that line standing there. Is EJ good ? No. Does Foles, whatever illusion you have about him, hold up behind the less than redoubtable right side of that line ? No.

You can't expect Peyton Manning to run like Cam Newton, or Russell Wilson to stand in the pocket forever like Carson Palmer. You can't expect Fitzpatrick to sling balls 60 yards in the air like Roethlisberger, like you can't expect a short precision passing game to work for Robert Griffin.

Imho.

HHURRICANE
07-29-2016, 02:00 AM
Don't understand people here. Who gives a crap if he's a pocket passer? He's the backup QB which is a huge upgrade over EJ who downright sucks. Kyle Orton did pretty ok here being a pocket passer.

Skooby
07-29-2016, 05:22 AM
Don't understand people here. Who gives a crap if he's a pocket passer? He's the backup QB which is a huge upgrade over EJ who downright sucks. Kyle Orton did pretty ok here being a pocket passer.

I'd rather have Kyle Orton versus EJ right now.

Joe Fo Sho
07-29-2016, 06:52 AM
I'd rather have Kyle Orton versus EJ right now.

Again, we'd be screwed if we had to use either of them.

Mr. Miyagi
07-29-2016, 07:15 AM
1. Foles sucks
2. He fits the scheme as well as Matt Cassell did last year.
3. Foles sucks

He is soooo good that he had one lucky season, the Eagles had to trade him away for an injured Sam Bradford, then he promptly stunk up the joint and was replaced by Case ****** Keenum, and his franchise gave away the farm to trade up in the draft to get a real QB, and kicked him to the curb, instead of releasing Case ****ing Keenum.

Yeah, he's great. Bring him in. :rolleyes:

justasportsfan
07-29-2016, 10:56 AM
I think the plan is to keep EJ as the back up for one more year and then develop Jones to be the back up next year.

In the end I think Roman is getting rid of the QB position anyways and having 20 rb's on the roster.

Night Train
07-29-2016, 02:29 PM
I think the Bills will look at other teams vet QB's who may be on the bubble during camp.

stuckincincy
07-29-2016, 09:00 PM
I think the Bills will look at other teams vet QB's who may be on the bubble during camp.

Here's the list of QBs in the NFL. Darned if I know who is available and worth it. BUF's not the only club scratching their head, I suppose.

http://www.nfl.com/players/search?category=position&filter=quarterback&conferenceAbbr=null&playerType=current&conference=ALL

Mace
07-29-2016, 09:35 PM

I don't get your reasoning. He's a two time failure in compatible systems who fits our system like tits on a bull, but you don't get why he doesn't belong here because you want just anyone being a backup qb regardless of whether he has a prayer of succeeding. If you didn't notice it's a different offense from Kyle Orton/Marrone, you sort of think none of the details matter any, which honestly makes you watch games blankly, without any real comprehension, not like football even takes a whole lot.

We already have a body to fill the spot, regardless of chance of success, don't we ?

HHURRICANE
07-30-2016, 02:40 AM
I don't get your reasoning. He's a two time failure in compatible systems who fits our system like tits on a bull, but you don't get why he doesn't belong here because you want just anyone being a backup qb regardless of whether he has a prayer of succeeding. If you didn't notice it's a different offense from Kyle Orton/Marrone, you sort of think none of the details matter any, which honestly makes you watch games blankly, without any real comprehension, not like football even takes a whole lot.

We already have a body to fill the spot, regardless of chance of success, don't we ?

Uhhh that was a bunch of wasted typing.

Maybe while your criticizing people's aptitude you should replay the Jaguars game from last season. The back-up QBs job is to win enough games to keep you alive while the starter is temporarily out.

Skooby
07-30-2016, 03:53 AM
Uhhh that was a bunch of wasted typing.

Maybe while your criticizing people's aptitude you should replay the Jaguars game from last season. The back-up QBs job is to win enough games to keep you alive while the starter is temporarily out.

EJ lost us that game in about a 2 minute span, he's a complete choke job.

mdcas22
07-31-2016, 02:07 PM
if E.J duz play this year and some how gets hurt then that 5th year option kicks in and the Bills will dish out around 15 million for him to ride the pine's. I'd cut him and take my loss;s and sign if not Foles but a guy that is capable. This all sounds like Rex not wanting anything to distract his boy (tt). nothing wrong with bettering the position, they will sign any position but QB like water or at least have signed a many this off season and cut a lot, I can't keep up with all the signings and cuts but not the QB position.

swiper
08-04-2016, 03:56 AM
Foles to Chiefs. Despite losing Chase Daniels they still have a couple of good young QBs on their roster. One my go now with this signing. Aaron Murray and Tyler Bray watch is on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/nick-foles-picks-the-chiefs/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/nick-foles-picks-the-chiefs/)

Joe Fo Sho
08-04-2016, 06:07 AM
if E.J duz play this year and some how gets hurt then that 5th year option kicks in and the Bills will dish out around 15 million for him

That can't be true.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-04-2016, 06:36 AM
That can't be true.
It isn't. The fifth year option is a team option that a team can exercise on its 1st rounders after season 3. It is guaranteed for injury, but the Bills already declined to use it. EJ is on the last year of his deal.

Joe Fo Sho
08-04-2016, 06:37 AM
It isn't. The fifth year option is a team option that a team can exercise on its 1st rounders after season 3. It is guaranteed for injury, but the Bills already declined to use it. EJ is on the last year of his deal.

That makes much more sense, thanks.

feldspar
08-04-2016, 10:23 AM
Foles to Chiefs. Despite losing Chase Daniels they still have a couple of good young QBs on their roster. One my go now with this signing. Aaron Murray and Tyler Bray watch is on.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/nick-foles-picks-the-chiefs/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/04/nick-foles-picks-the-chiefs/)

Yeah, the Chiefs have Aaron Murray and Tyler Bray...but they also drafted Kevin Hogan in the fifth round this year. My guess is that one guy will be cut, one will be 3rd string, and the other one will be put on the practice squad. Dunno how long any one these guys would last on the practice squad.

swiper
08-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Yeah, the Chiefs have Aaron Murray and Tyler Bray...but they also drafted Kevin Hogan in the fifth round this year. My guess is that one guy will be cut, one will be 3rd string, and the other one will be put on the practice squad. Dunno how long any one these guys would last on the practice squad.

Chiefs one of the teams that have been bucking the trend of only carrying 2 active QBs and a 3rd on the PS. Like the old days they do it. But, yeah. Whatever guy ends up on the PS would be an early bet to get plucked by some team that runs into QB trouble.

feldspar
08-04-2016, 02:02 PM
Chiefs one of the teams that have been bucking the trend of only carrying 2 active QBs and a 3rd on the PS. Like the old days they do it. But, yeah. Whatever guy ends up on the PS would be an early bet to get plucked by some team that runs into QB trouble.

Well, Foles is on a cheap one-year contract for $1.75 million, with a team option for 2017. If the Chiefs pick up that option, they'll have to pay him between $6.5 and $16 million next year, depending on how he plays this year (if he does). So they don't have him long term at all. I think they may be wise to keep 3 QBs on the roster this year as insurance, considering that.

feldspar
08-04-2016, 03:30 PM
This is pretty interesting, though. Apparently, the Bills were looking into trading for Foles before the draft, per Adam Schefter:

"The two teams the Rams discussed a potential Nick Foles trade with before the draft were Buffalo and Dallas, which now needs a backup QB."

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/760646330209284096

That would have been sweet. So, the Bills really were exploring getting Foles then...we'd be better off had that gone through. Maybe the Rams crazy trade-up to the #1 pick wasn't setup at that point? Dunno why else the Rams would just release Foles instead of getting something in return out of a trade.

mdcas22
08-04-2016, 05:58 PM

ot only must teams decide whether to pick up the option they have for 2011 first-round draft picks by May 3, but there are also increasing indications that they are taking this "option" factor into account when considering whether to trade into the bottom of this year's first round for a particular player that they may covet.
Let's start with the veterans going into their fourth year who will find out their fifth-year fates by the end of the weekend. They are the first group that suffered financially from the rookie wage scale that the NFL Players Association agreed to when the current Collective Bargaining Agreement was signed in 2011.
Their compensation was decreased significantly compared to their predecessors, but the silver lining was supposed to be that their contracts were only four-year deals. They’d have the opportunity to get to a more lucrative second contract earlier than their first round brethren ever had previously. Unfortunately for them, there is very little risk in their teams picking up the option that keeps them off the market until they've made it through five full NFL campaigns. And even at that point, teams can restrict their movement by using the franchise or transition tags.
The option pays players taken in the first 10 picks the transition tag—average salary of the top 10 earning players at the position—while players picked between picks 11-32 get the average of the 25 highest paid players at their position except for the first three. It's not chump change, but it's not the open market with the chance for a huge upfront guarantee either.
In fact, there's no real guarantee at all other than an injury guarantee, which basically means only that the team is liable to pay the player their fifth-year salary if, and only if, he suffers such a significant injury in 2014 that he is not able to play at all in 2015. That's extremely rare and unlikely.
It's also why it is more noteworthy if a team chooses not to pick up the option than if they do. Remember, a team can easily still cut any of these players after this upcoming season well before the 2015 salary they are due as part of the option becomes fully guaranteed next March.
It's basically an option to have an option if you think about it. It gives any of these teams the right to either extend, release or renegotiate with these players next January or February—while having all of the control. There's no reason not to pick it up unless the player has been a huge disappointment or the team doesn't even want to take on the very small risk that a player suffers such a devastating injury, that it puts the team on the hook for his 2015 salary.
That's why I have no idea why a team like the Detroit Li

mdcas22
08-04-2016, 06:08 PM
That makes much more sense, thanks.

what ever E'J's salary would have been if the Bills picked up his 5th year option is what the ORG would have to pay if E.J gets hurt this year and is not able to play next year.

his 5th year option would have been 11.37 million I believe.

Mace
08-04-2016, 08:08 PM
This is pretty interesting, though. Apparently, the Bills were looking into trading for Foles before the draft, per Adam Schefter:

"The two teams the Rams discussed a potential Nick Foles trade with before the draft were Buffalo and Dallas, which now needs a backup QB."

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/760646330209284096

That would have been sweet. So, the Bills really were exploring getting Foles then...we'd be better off had that gone through. Maybe the Rams crazy trade-up to the #1 pick wasn't setup at that point? Dunno why else the Rams would just release Foles instead of getting something in return out of a trade.

He never fit the offensive concept anyway. Whether we used the picks right or not, this was just too deep a draft to throw them at a retread.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-06-2016, 04:28 PM
ot only must teams decide whether to pick up the option they have for 2011 first-round draft picks by May 3, but there are also increasing indications that they are taking this "option" factor into account when considering whether to trade into the bottom of this year's first round for a particular player that they may covet.
Let's start with the veterans going into their fourth year who will find out their fifth-year fates by the end of the weekend. They are the first group that suffered financially from the rookie wage scale that the NFL Players Association agreed to when the current Collective Bargaining Agreement was signed in 2011.
Their compensation was decreased significantly compared to their predecessors, but the silver lining was supposed to be that their contracts were only four-year deals. They’d have the opportunity to get to a more lucrative second contract earlier than their first round brethren ever had previously. Unfortunately for them, there is very little risk in their teams picking up the option that keeps them off the market until they've made it through five full NFL campaigns. And even at that point, teams can restrict their movement by using the franchise or transition tags.
The option pays players taken in the first 10 picks the transition tag—average salary of the top 10 earning players at the position—while players picked between picks 11-32 get the average of the 25 highest paid players at their position except for the first three. It's not chump change, but it's not the open market with the chance for a huge upfront guarantee either.
In fact, there's no real guarantee at all other than an injury guarantee, which basically means only that the team is liable to pay the player their fifth-year salary if, and only if, he suffers such a significant injury in 2014 that he is not able to play at all in 2015. That's extremely rare and unlikely.
It's also why it is more noteworthy if a team chooses not to pick up the option than if they do. Remember, a team can easily still cut any of these players after this upcoming season well before the 2015 salary they are due as part of the option becomes fully guaranteed next March.
It's basically an option to have an option if you think about it. It gives any of these teams the right to either extend, release or renegotiate with these players next January or February—while having all of the control. There's no reason not to pick it up unless the player has been a huge disappointment or the team doesn't even want to take on the very small risk that a player suffers such a devastating injury, that it puts the team on the hook for his 2015 salary.
That's why I have no idea why a team like the Detroit Li

https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/collective-bargaining-agreement-2011-2020.pdf
32 (f) Fifth Year Option for All Other Selections in Round One.
(i) For any other Drafted Rookie selected in round one, the Paragraph 5 Salary for the player’s Fifth-Year Option shall equal an amount that would apply in the fourth League Year of the Rookie Contract if one calculated the Transition Tender for that League Year by using the same methodology as set forth in Article 10, Section 4, but using the applicable third through twenty-fifth highest Salaries (as “Salary” is defined in Article 10)(as opposed to the ten highest Salaries) for players at the position at which the Rookie participated in the most plays during his third League Year. No other Salary (other than the minimum offseason workout per diem and compensation for community relations/sponsor appearances or promotional activities (subject to the maximum amounts permitted in Section 3(b)(iv) above)) is permitted for the Fifth-Year Option.

(ii) The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth-Year Option shall be guaranteed for injury-related termination only, effective upon the Club’s exercise of the Option. The entire Paragraph 5 Salary for the Fifth
-Year Option shall be guaranteed for skill, injury, and Salary Cap-related termination if the player is on his Club’s roster at the start of the player’s fifth League Year (i.e., the option year).

The Bills did not exercise the option (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/15448758/buffalo-bills-decline-fifth-year-option-ej-manuel), they do not owe EJ Manuel anything after this year.