• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Rookie Adolphus Washington Named Starter Heading Into Camp

Rex Ryan was doing his pre-camp media gaggle today and said that the starting DL was Williams-Dareus-Washington.

Per Coach Sal on Twitter.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Rookie Adolphus Washington Named Starter Heading Into Camp

Oh man, wow.

Comment

• ICRockets
      Childish Fake Voter
      • Jul 2008

Yeah, that was expected after Whaley said our top 3 picks were all starting off the bus.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
        Yeah, that was expected after Whaley said our top 3 picks were all starting off the bus.
        I'm still kinda shocked about it, I really forgot to check on this.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

I'm pretty sure our D-Line coach had Washington rated as his #1 lineman on his draft board. That's out of everybody in the 2016 draft.

When I heard that, I wasn't sure if I should be excited that we got him in the 3rd round or worried that some of our talent evaluation is off by so much.

Comment

• sudzy
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
            Until one of them fell off the bus and hurt his shoulder.

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

Ok cool will be nice to see how he does. Some other 3rd round DTs become good college ends (Dockett just retired), he is really good pass rusher hopefully he can stop the run as well.

Comment

• Luisito23
                Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                • Apr 2003

I like Washington...He might surprise...
                "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Swiper
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
                  I like Washington...He might surprise...
                  What makes anybody think he's better than McCargo? At least McCargo garnered a first round price. Naming a 3rd rounder a starter so soon is more Rex Ryan stupidity.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

I guess it is what it is, just not sure the point of basically telling the other candidates they don't have a shot before camp even opens, or giving less incentive to Washington, who has been noted to have effort issues, but I'd blame Ryanwhaley more for that than Washington.

Comment

• John Doe
                      Florida Man
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                      I guess it is what it is, just not sure the point of basically telling the other candidates they don't have a shot before camp even opens, or giving less incentive to Washington, who has been noted to have effort issues, but I'd blame Ryanwhaley more for that than Washington.
                      Ryan probably thinks that Washington has the most talent, so naming him the starter will hopefully get him up to speed in a hurry by getting first team reps.

I don't think that Ryan's proclamation precludes others from beating him out. If Washington is not motivated or talented enough to keep the job, then someone else will certainly take the job.

Comment

• Night Train
                        Retired - On Several Levels
                        • Jul 2005

As one who saw all his college games, I will state is strength is anticipating the snap and getting into the backfield to disrupt. Solid swim/up and over move inside on OL. Very active.

He is not a run stuffer at all. He forces RB's back towards the pursuit and makes the QB scramble. Won't rack up big stats but is very effective in his role. Can play anywhere on the DL.
                        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
                          Haha...yeah you think so ?
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
                          Ryan probably thinks that Washington has the most talent, so naming him the starter will hopefully get him up to speed in a hurry by getting first team reps.

I don't think that Ryan's proclamation precludes others from beating him out. If Washington is not motivated or talented enough to keep the job, then someone else will certainly take the job.
                          I'm trusting NightTrain on this one. Argued with him about Washington after the draft (for history), he made me see Adolphus differently.

Maybe you're right. But I'm just not sure it's better coaching, development or motivation by not just saying all jobs are up for grabs and if they earn it they earned it. In Ryan's case, it might well mean his proclamation precludes others from beating him out because Ryan is Ryan and that's how he is. I don't think I've seen Ryan particularly open to changing anything once he says his version of what he thinks.

Comment

• EDS
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                            Rex Ryan was doing his pre-camp media gaggle today and said that the starting DL was Williams-Dareus-Washington.

Per Coach Sal on Twitter.
                            Obviously, he earned it . . .

Comment

• YardRat
                              Well, lookie here...
                              • Dec 2004

Not really surprising, considering the other candidates are Bryant, Douzable and Reed. I'd still prefer not sticking Dareus on the nose and keep him at end but unless someone like Zimmer or Worthy really stepped up big time there isn't anybody else to put in the middle either.
                              YardRat Wall of Fame
                              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                              X