• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Knowing what we know - August 1 - player and position feelings

Feel free to add your thoughts. I wanted to have a few threads throughout training camp and start of the season putting down our thoughts knowing what we know.

Tyrod extension:
    This seems crazy that they are considering extending him now. I don't like this idea. I realize if he has a breakout season, signing him now will look like the smart move. However, if he really breaks out, I think he'll be a candidate to re-extend.

The Shaq pick:
    The D just doesn't seem like it has been fundamentally improved and to not have shaq for the start of season feels like we are going to go backwards first.

The WR
    Totally uninspired right now. really hope Sammy can spend the season on the field and not IR
  • SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: Knowing what we know - August 1 - player and position feelings

I agree with all of your 3 points 100%.

Comment

• Swiper
      • Sep 2010

The WR position unispired? All they have to talk about is Dez Lewis, so I would say that's spot on.

Comment

• bleve
        • Mar 2005

Certainly the right side of the O line I would categorize as a concern too.
        "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
        ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Even if Shaq was 100% ready to go, was he expected to be better than Jadeveon Clowney coming out of college? I mean , was he really going to instantly upgrade and play better than Mario did last year?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            Even if Shaq was 100% ready to go, was he expected to be better than Jadeveon Clowney coming out of college? I mean , was he really going to instantly upgrade and play better than Mario did last year?
            Last year, Mario phoned it in. Shaq could have played at that level pretty easily, especially with opposing D's game-planning around Hughes and Dareus. If we had someone equal or better on the roster, that draft pick would have been used elsewhere.

Also, while it's unfair to put this kind of pressure on the kid, he was the only real improvement we made to a D that struggled last season. The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• elroy16
              • May 2014

I have no issues extending TT now, as long as it isn't for something crazy like $20 million.

Last year the D had major issues with communication and didn't appear to always know what they were doing. So year 2 in the system should fix the majority of those issues, but they're going to take a step back because they don't have their first round pick playing? So players can't get comfortable in a system and improve over time? I'm seriously at a loss why people think the D will take a step back considering how poor it was last year.

Woods is reportedly looking very good, same with Dez and Little. Add guys like Hankerson and Salas and I think the WR pool looks decent so far. They aren't world beaters, but does anyone remember the days of Donald Jones and David Nelson? That was an uninspiring group of receivers.

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              Last year, Mario phoned it in. Shaq could have played at that level pretty easily, especially with opposing D's game-planning around Hughes and Dareus. If we had someone equal or better on the roster, that draft pick would have been used elsewhere.

Also, while it's unfair to put this kind of pressure on the kid, he was the only real improvement we made to a D that struggled last season. The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.

So since it's a similar group of players, that means they're going to play the same as they did last year? Year two in a system means absolutely nothing? Preston Brown, Dareus, and Hughes are all going to have another down year?

This conclusion makes literally no sense to me.
              Last edited by elroy16; 08-01-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Rex on radio from camp today. Loves Salas at WR. Tight routes and catches everything. Murph stated Salas and Dez Lewis look really good.

Rex loved Tyrod last year. Just saying. I did like what I saw of Salas at the end on the past year. Got separation and caught the ball. I'm not concerned with WR at all, unlike many here.

A Tyrod extension is being considered because Gilmore is in his last year here and will be insanely overpaid by another team in 2017. Good for him but CB's are easily replaced. Cap stupidity.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  Rex on radio from camp today. Loves Salas at WR. Tight routes and catches everything. Murph stated Salas and Dez Lewis look really good.

Rex loved Tyrod last year. Just saying. I did like what I saw of Salas at the end on the past year. Got separation and caught the ball. I'm not concerned with WR at all, unlike many here.

A Tyrod extension is being considered because Gilmore is in his last year here and will be insanely overpaid by another team in 2017. Good for him but CB's are easily replaced. Cap stupidity.
                  Our offense is going to be really good if and only if TT is throwing the ball. I'm serious, I'm not sure how anyone is going to easily stop us if we are healthy. Everyone is a open target, it's going to nearly impossible to cover our guys. We are going to look like the 99' Rams with a much more mobile QB, Shady being our Faulk type guy.

I'm not dreaming here and I know it's early but Holy Toledo we have some real talent out there. Our Secondary doesn't suck either, we have some real serious stuff in our secondary and these guys are getting open. Our camp battles are going to be stuff of legends, it's going to be real hard to crack the offensive roster. Bush should really make us wet as well, he can motor when healthy.
                  Last edited by Skooby; 08-01-2016, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Mace
                    Haha...yeah you think so ?
                    • Mar 2013

Well, I'm wary of extending Tyrod now in any case unless they put in escalators/de-escalators like Kaepernick's contract has.

Regarding Shaq and the defense, I look at it two ways.
                    - If Ryan defense has been solved, as I suspect it has, nothing is going to matter.
                    - If I'm wrong about his defense being solved, it's going to be more about Ragland and Washington getting it, Dareus, Williams & Brown buying into it/getting it, and Rob Ryan with new D-line guy helping find more efficient ways of implementing it. Shaq was a piece but not a pivotal one if Manny gets healthy. Ryan's defense is more about the DB's LB's.

Was just reading that actually, the WR's are doing well, saw Little, Lewis, and Powell gaining media praise in todays recaps.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by elroy16 View Post
                      I have no issues extending TT now, as long as it isn't for something crazy like $20 million.

Last year the D had major issues with communication and didn't appear to always know what they were doing. So year 2 in the system should fix the majority of those issues, but they're going to take a step back because they don't have their first round pick playing? So players can't get comfortable in a system and improve over time? I'm seriously at a loss why people think the D will take a step back considering how poor it was last year.

Woods is reportedly looking very good, same with Dez and Little. Add guys like Hankerson and Salas and I think the WR pool looks decent so far. They aren't world beaters, but does anyone remember the days of Donald Jones and David Nelson? That was an uninspiring group of receivers.

So since it's a similar group of players, that means they're going to play the same as they did last year? Year two in a system means absolutely nothing? Preston Brown, Dareus, and Hughes are all going to have another down year?

This conclusion makes literally no sense to me.
                      Please. Enough of this nonsense. People say this every year and it has yet to materialize, at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better. It's basically saying "the same guys are going to magically be better this year!" A D as bad as the Bills were last year isn't going to get better through stability alone. Clearly they don't have the right personnel to run Rex's D, and he's too stubborn to run the D that worked for 3 years before he got here.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                        Skoobasaurus-Rex
                        • Oct 2011

Please. Enough of this nonsense. People say this every year and it has yet to materialize, at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better. It's basically saying "the same guys are going to magically be better this year!" A D as bad as the Bills were last year isn't going to get better through stability alone. Clearly they don't have the right personnel to run Rex's D, and he's too stubborn to run the D that worked for 3 years before he got here.
                        Wait for he news that will bring joy to your black heart, you'll love it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

It didnt materialize in 2014 under Scwartz ?
                          sacrifice1

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.
                            Thats crazy talk especially since hes just a rookie.Qho do younrhink he is? The 2nd coming of Bruce Smith? The only hope we have are players not running around like chickens with their heads cut off . The talent was already there. Shaq is no more talented than the Dl of 20
                            sacrifice1

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                              Wait for he news that will bring joy to your black heart, you'll love it.
                              Not sure how acknowledging that a football team isn't very good and having a "black heart" are in any way related.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X