PDA

View Full Version : Knowing what we know - August 1 - player and position feelings

trapezeus
08-01-2016, 06:29 AM
Feel free to add your thoughts. I wanted to have a few threads throughout training camp and start of the season putting down our thoughts knowing what we know.

Tyrod extension:
This seems crazy that they are considering extending him now. I don't like this idea. I realize if he has a breakout season, signing him now will look like the smart move. However, if he really breaks out, I think he'll be a candidate to re-extend.

The Shaq pick:
The D just doesn't seem like it has been fundamentally improved and to not have shaq for the start of season feels like we are going to go backwards first.

The WR
Totally uninspired right now. really hope Sammy can spend the season on the field and not IR

SpikedLemonade
08-01-2016, 08:53 AM
I agree with all of your 3 points 100%.

swiper
08-01-2016, 10:43 AM
The WR position unispired? All they have to talk about is Dez Lewis, so I would say that's spot on.

bleve
08-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Certainly the right side of the O line I would categorize as a concern too.

justasportsfan
08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Even if Shaq was 100% ready to go, was he expected to be better than Jadeveon Clowney coming out of college? I mean , was he really going to instantly upgrade and play better than Mario did last year?

OpIv37
08-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Even if Shaq was 100% ready to go, was he expected to be better than Jadeveon Clowney coming out of college? I mean , was he really going to instantly upgrade and play better than Mario did last year?

Last year, Mario phoned it in. Shaq could have played at that level pretty easily, especially with opposing D's game-planning around Hughes and Dareus. If we had someone equal or better on the roster, that draft pick would have been used elsewhere.

Also, while it's unfair to put this kind of pressure on the kid, he was the only real improvement we made to a D that struggled last season. The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.

elroy16
08-01-2016, 02:01 PM
I have no issues extending TT now, as long as it isn't for something crazy like $20 million.

Last year the D had major issues with communication and didn't appear to always know what they were doing. So year 2 in the system should fix the majority of those issues, but they're going to take a step back because they don't have their first round pick playing? So players can't get comfortable in a system and improve over time? I'm seriously at a loss why people think the D will take a step back considering how poor it was last year.

Woods is reportedly looking very good, same with Dez and Little. Add guys like Hankerson and Salas and I think the WR pool looks decent so far. They aren't world beaters, but does anyone remember the days of Donald Jones and David Nelson? That was an uninspiring group of receivers.

Last year, Mario phoned it in. Shaq could have played at that level pretty easily, especially with opposing D's game-planning around Hughes and Dareus. If we had someone equal or better on the roster, that draft pick would have been used elsewhere.

Also, while it's unfair to put this kind of pressure on the kid, he was the only real improvement we made to a D that struggled last season. The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.

So since it's a similar group of players, that means they're going to play the same as they did last year? Year two in a system means absolutely nothing? Preston Brown, Dareus, and Hughes are all going to have another down year?

This conclusion makes literally no sense to me.

Night Train
08-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Rex on radio from camp today. Loves Salas at WR. Tight routes and catches everything. Murph stated Salas and Dez Lewis look really good.

Rex loved Tyrod last year. Just saying. I did like what I saw of Salas at the end on the past year. Got separation and caught the ball. I'm not concerned with WR at all, unlike many here.

A Tyrod extension is being considered because Gilmore is in his last year here and will be insanely overpaid by another team in 2017. Good for him but CB's are easily replaced. Cap stupidity.

Skooby
08-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Rex on radio from camp today. Loves Salas at WR. Tight routes and catches everything. Murph stated Salas and Dez Lewis look really good.

Rex loved Tyrod last year. Just saying. I did like what I saw of Salas at the end on the past year. Got separation and caught the ball. I'm not concerned with WR at all, unlike many here.

A Tyrod extension is being considered because Gilmore is in his last year here and will be insanely overpaid by another team in 2017. Good for him but CB's are easily replaced. Cap stupidity.

Our offense is going to be really good if and only if TT is throwing the ball. I'm serious, I'm not sure how anyone is going to easily stop us if we are healthy. Everyone is a open target, it's going to nearly impossible to cover our guys. We are going to look like the 99' Rams with a much more mobile QB, Shady being our Faulk type guy.

I'm not dreaming here and I know it's early but Holy Toledo we have some real talent out there. Our Secondary doesn't suck either, we have some real serious stuff in our secondary and these guys are getting open. Our camp battles are going to be stuff of legends, it's going to be real hard to crack the offensive roster. Bush should really make us wet as well, he can motor when healthy.

Mace
08-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Well, I'm wary of extending Tyrod now in any case unless they put in escalators/de-escalators like Kaepernick's contract has.

Regarding Shaq and the defense, I look at it two ways.
- If Ryan defense has been solved, as I suspect it has, nothing is going to matter.
- If I'm wrong about his defense being solved, it's going to be more about Ragland and Washington getting it, Dareus, Williams & Brown buying into it/getting it, and Rob Ryan with new D-line guy helping find more efficient ways of implementing it. Shaq was a piece but not a pivotal one if Manny gets healthy. Ryan's defense is more about the DB's LB's.

Was just reading that actually, the WR's are doing well, saw Little, Lewis, and Powell gaining media praise in todays recaps.

OpIv37
08-01-2016, 06:29 PM
I have no issues extending TT now, as long as it isn't for something crazy like $20 million.

Last year the D had major issues with communication and didn't appear to always know what they were doing. So year 2 in the system should fix the majority of those issues, but they're going to take a step back because they don't have their first round pick playing? So players can't get comfortable in a system and improve over time? I'm seriously at a loss why people think the D will take a step back considering how poor it was last year.

Woods is reportedly looking very good, same with Dez and Little. Add guys like Hankerson and Salas and I think the WR pool looks decent so far. They aren't world beaters, but does anyone remember the days of Donald Jones and David Nelson? That was an uninspiring group of receivers.

So since it's a similar group of players, that means they're going to play the same as they did last year? Year two in a system means absolutely nothing? Preston Brown, Dareus, and Hughes are all going to have another down year?

This conclusion makes literally no sense to me.

Please. Enough of this nonsense. People say this every year and it has yet to materialize, at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better. It's basically saying "the same guys are going to magically be better this year!" A D as bad as the Bills were last year isn't going to get better through stability alone. Clearly they don't have the right personnel to run Rex's D, and he's too stubborn to run the D that worked for 3 years before he got here.

Skooby
08-01-2016, 07:53 PM
Please. Enough of this nonsense. People say this every year and it has yet to materialize, at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better. It's basically saying "the same guys are going to magically be better this year!" A D as bad as the Bills were last year isn't going to get better through stability alone. Clearly they don't have the right personnel to run Rex's D, and he's too stubborn to run the D that worked for 3 years before he got here.

Wait for he news that will bring joy to your black heart, you'll love it.

justasportsfan
08-01-2016, 08:08 PM

It didnt materialize in 2014 under Scwartz ?

justasportsfan
08-01-2016, 08:15 PM
The only real hope we have of the D being better was him.

Thats crazy talk especially since hes just a rookie.Qho do younrhink he is? The 2nd coming of Bruce Smith? The only hope we have are players not running around like chickens with their heads cut off . The talent was already there. Shaq is no more talented than the Dl of 20

OpIv37
08-01-2016, 08:27 PM
Wait for he news that will bring joy to your black heart, you'll love it.

Not sure how acknowledging that a football team isn't very good and having a "black heart" are in any way related.

OpIv37
08-01-2016, 08:33 PM
It didnt materialize in 2014 under Scwartz ?

We added Corey Graham and Brandon Spikes in 2014. That's far better than what we did this off-season.

Skooby
08-01-2016, 09:01 PM
Not sure how acknowledging that a football team isn't very good and having a "black heart" are in any way related.

You like terrible news, it empowers you.

SpikedLemonade
08-02-2016, 02:04 AM
Certainly the right side of the O line I would categorize as a concern too.

To me it is THE # 1 concern.

SpikedLemonade
08-02-2016, 02:08 AM
Our offense is going to be really good if and only if TT is throwing the ball. I'm serious, I'm not sure how anyone is going to easily stop us if we are healthy. Everyone is a open target, it's going to nearly impossible to cover our guys. We are going to look like the 99' Rams with a much more mobile QB, Shady being our Faulk type guy.

I'm not dreaming here and I know it's early but Holy Toledo we have some real talent out there. Our Secondary doesn't suck either, we have some real serious stuff in our secondary and these guys are getting open. Our camp battles are going to be stuff of legends, it's going to be real hard to crack the offensive roster. Bush should really make us wet as well, he can motor when healthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urMjGAimtRc

Topas
08-02-2016, 02:11 AM

about the bolded part : WHAT??? No, I dont think so. That is why they are paid so much. Although I think CB is probably the most difficult position to switch teams. I think Norman e.g. will decline (worse D Line). See also Ashamuga (sp?). He was the best CB in the game and just sucked in Phili. I dont know why that happens so often. But teams still try to get good ones and will overpay. And it will be hard for us to replace him. And dont say we have Darby. We need to good CBs.

k-oneputt
08-02-2016, 06:23 AM
I agree good cb's are not easily replaced. If it was a safety I agree they can be replaced, not good corners.
If Tyrod gets paid Gilmore won't be here next season.

elroy16
08-02-2016, 08:27 AM

I can accept this line, "at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better." That's a fair argument.

This part is nonsense, "It's basically saying 'the same guys are going to magically be better this year!'"

What is the point of practice if they don't improve as individuals and a team?

Practice makes perfect, right? Or is that not a valid concept for football?

Skooby
08-02-2016, 09:01 AM
I can accept this line, "at least not on a basis sufficient enough to make the entire team better." That's a fair argument.

This part is nonsense, "It's basically saying 'the same guys are going to magically be better this year!'"

OP has been in his glory for 16 years, being miserable. If the Bills start winning and do well, he'll get board and watch Skins for his next problem. In his mind, the Bills can never get better & we are screwed ongoing. Improving is for other teams, not the Bills.

So keep all of that in mind before you judge him, it's personal.

Buffalogic
08-02-2016, 09:03 AM
QB's are harder to replace than CB's. We all know that.

Hopefully they sign Tyrod to an extension before the season at around 14-16 mil per year. Just leave language that will give us an out if he bombs and stinks up the place.

justasportsfan
08-02-2016, 09:36 AM
We added Corey Graham and Brandon Spikes in 2014. That's far better than what we did this off-season.

You're desperately trying to wiggle out of your comment. Graham and Spikes? Really? They werent the reason we went no.4. It was Schwartz.

OpIv37
08-02-2016, 09:40 AM

First, the cliche "practice makes perfect" is nonsense anyway. Practice can bring improvement, but improvement by practice is not a guarantee and no one is ever perfect at anything. These guys have been playing football their whole lives. There is only so much room for improvement.

Second, the D was so bad that it can improve and still not be good enough to win.

Third, what practice? There hasn't been a game since January. The CBA strictly limits the amount of allowed practices. Gilmore skipped voluntary activities because of his contract situation. Shaq, Manny, Kyle and Dareus all missed significant time because of injury.

Finally, our opponents get to practice too. The only way we are going to beat the better teams in the league is to close the talent gap- i.e. improve more than they do. If they get to practice and we get to practice, that's a push.

OpIv37
08-02-2016, 09:41 AM
You're desperately trying to wiggle out of your comment. Graham and Spikes? Really? They werent the reason we went no.4. It was Schwartz.
And you honestly believe Rex is capable of doing that?

Skooby
08-02-2016, 09:44 AM
First, the cliche "practice makes perfect" is nonsense anyway. Practice can bring improvement, but improvement by practice is not a guarantee and no one is ever perfect at anything. These guys have been playing football their whole lives. There is only so much room for improvement.

Second, the D was so bad that it can improve and still not be good enough to win.

Third, what practice? There hasn't been a game since January. The CBA strictly limits the amount of allowed practices. Gilmore skipped voluntary activities because of his contract situation. Shaq, Manny, Kyle and Dareus all missed significant time because of injury.

Finally, our opponents get to practice too. The only way we are going to beat the better teams in the league is to close the talent gap- i.e. improve more than they do. If they get to practice and we get to practice, that's a push.

So our injuries to Kyle and Marcel taking most plays off didn't have anything to do with it ?? Those are 2 major reason we didn't do that well last season. Dareus is an unfocused player and is not self-motivated, he had like almost no tackles. Now he's gone and Kyle will be back, I'm excited A. Washington.

Please understand that teams that win usually some level of health and or depth, we need some luck as well.

- - - Updated - - -

And you honestly believe Rex is capable of doing that?

He did in NY, I can't see why he couldn't make our defense better.

OpIv37
08-02-2016, 09:54 AM
So our injuries to Kyle and Marcel taking most plays off didn't have anything to do with it ?? Those are 2 major reason we didn't do that well last season. Dareus is an unfocused player and is not self-motivated, he had like almost no tackles. Now he's gone and Kyle will be back, I'm excited A. Washington.

Please understand that teams that win usually some level of health and or depth, we need some luck as well.

- - - Updated - - -

He did in NY, I can't see why he couldn't make our defense better.

We are always unlucky with injuries. What makes you think this year will be different?

And Rex already succeeded in making our D WORSE. If he is going to make our D better, he needs better talent or at least talent more appropriate for his scheme. He didn't get that.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2016, 10:06 AM

You realize the disparity in your argument here?

You are saying that the defense can't change year to year with the same personnel, yet it did exactly that between 14 and 15.

Last year's defense was considerably weaker than 14, with essentially the same group, a few injuries don't change the calculus.

If it works getting worse, ( "it" being performance change year to year with essentially the same group), coincident with scheme and coaching changes, it can work getting better.

Skooby
08-02-2016, 10:14 AM
We are always unlucky with injuries. What makes you think this year will be different?

Yes we are unlucky with injuries, it's uncanny. This year is different because it's a different year. Last season we had a good QB out there, who's inexperienced. If you told me last season that our offense would get that much better and our D would go in the tank, I'd thought you were crazy. Denver's offense sucked but their D rocked, Carolina's offense rocked but their D was ok.

Every year is different, we just need to catch a bit of luck. I do believe that injury / lack of effort made our D worse on the line, the scheme being part of it. Darby was a nice addition as well, so hopefully our D-line is back in shape and our secondary plays well again. Those 2 things will make a major difference.

DraftBoy
08-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Ragland and Washington - It's good to see them both getting plenty of reps early in camp. Ragland especially will need to be a big part if the defense is going to improve.

Darby - Early reports of Darby's struggles have me slightly concerned. I watched Robert Alford really struggle in Year 2 with the Falcons here in Atlanta after a strong rookie year. Darby got off to a really slow start last year though as well.

Skooby
08-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Ragland and Washington - It's good to see them both getting plenty of reps early in camp. Ragland especially will need to be a big part if the defense is going to improve.

Darby - Early reports of Darby's struggles have me slightly concerned. I watched Robert Alford really struggle in Year 2 with the Falcons here in Atlanta after a strong rookie year. Darby got off to a really slow start last year though as well.

Darby will be fine DB, it's freaking 4 days into camp so lets get off the cliff edge. I'm excited about of WR group, they seem to be strong.

DraftBoy
08-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Darby will be fine DB, it's freaking 4 days into camp so lets get off the cliff edge. I'm excited about of WR group, they seem to be strong.

So we can determine the WR group is strong after 4 days, but Darby's struggles are nothing to be concerned about?

You do see how that is completely inconsistent, right?

Skooby
08-02-2016, 10:24 AM
So we can determine the WR group is strong after 4 days, but Darby's struggles are nothing to be concerned about?

You do see how that is completely inconsistent, right?

"They seem to be strong" isn't a proven factor or statement, it's an opportunity. Darby was a monster last season, so lets not dump on him just yet is my point.

I was told from my sources that the level of WR skill this season is crazy good, like OMG these guys are gifted as he11. How that translates in the season I'm not sure but Goodwin is almost sure to be gone. Past Sammy Watkins, the field is wide open for 2 - 5/6. You could argue Woods is the #2, I heard that's going to be an argument to be vetted out. Wait until you see these guys on the field, it's really unreal. I haven't heard this much chatter about our WR's since Moulds was here, seriously it's actually quite refreshing.

DraftBoy
08-02-2016, 10:26 AM
"They seem strong" isn't a proven factor or statement. Darby was a monster last season, so lets not dump on him just yet is my point.

And what part of "slightly concerned" is dumping on him?

OpIv37
08-02-2016, 10:26 AM
You realize the disparity in your argument here?

You are saying that the defense can't change year to year with the same personnel, yet it did exactly that between 14 and 15.

Last year's defense was considerably weaker than 14, with essentially the same group, a few injuries don't change the calculus.

If it works getting worse, ( "it" being performance change year to year with essentially the same group), coincident with scheme and coaching changes, it can work getting better.
You're not going to convince me that the same guy who ruined a good D is going to magically make it better with "practice."

and I didn't say it couldn't change. I said it couldn't get better. Players decline all the time. They don't magically improve.

Skooby
08-02-2016, 10:31 AM
And what part of "slightly concerned" is dumping on him?

Agreed but we have a history of last season and his talent, so slightly concerned is premature IMO.

Joe Fo Sho
08-02-2016, 10:32 AM
I think our best acquisition on defense this offseason was Ed Reed. I'm convinced he was brought in to get the players on board with the scheme and help them learn about their roles. Reed probably knows more about Rex's defense than any player not named Ray Lewis, and the players respect the hell out of him.

Whether he is making a difference or not remains to be seen, but if our defense improves I think he'll have a big hand in it.

Skooby
08-02-2016, 10:33 AM
I think our best acquisition on defense this offseason was Ed Reed. I'm convinced he was brought in to get the players on board with the scheme and help them learn about their roles. Reed probably knows more about Rex's defense than any player not named Ray Lewis, and the players respect the hell out of him.

Whether he is making a difference or not remains to be seen, but if our defense improves I think he'll have a big hand in it.

Ed Reed is going to help a lot, he can translate it to the players.

Captain gameboy
08-02-2016, 10:44 AM
You're not going to convince me that the same guy who ruined a good D is going to magically make it better with "practice."

and I didn't say it couldn't change. I said it couldn't get better. Players decline all the time. They don't magically improve.

I didn't claim it would change.
I am not a fan or Rex and his D at all.
I was on the fence until the touchdown to, I think, Marshall, in the last game.
The TV angle showed an obvious safety blitz. You could easily see Fitzpatrick and Marshall read it, and it ended up in a touchdown in a close game.
From body language, you could see both of them react in a manner that indicated they both knew it was coming.

I think he's been figured out. I think he acts like a high school baseball coach who doesn't know when to just let his guys, who are better than the opposition, just play, and injects unnecessary risk.

That's a side point.
The fact is that if the same guys can put up significantly worse performance one year to the next, as they did, they can also put up better performance.
There are way too many variables beyond simply player's names.

elroy16
08-02-2016, 11:01 AM

So Antonio Brown never improved? He went from a very good receiver to possibly the best in the league because everyone else declined, not because he got better?

Got it.

Allen Iverson, is that you?

OpIv37
08-02-2016, 11:08 AM
So Antonio Brown never improved? He went from a very good receiver to possibly the best in the league because everyone else declined, not because he got better?

Got it.

Allen Iverson, is that you?

Let me rephrase slightly: individual players do improve but never on a scale to make the team better as a whole. Every single year, someone on this website uses "player improvement" as a reason why they they think the team will be better, and while individual players have improved, the team as a whole has never improved unless it was also accompanied by an influx of talent.

And don't forget that players can also decline due to age, injury, or just not giving a **** a la Mario Williams.

Skooby
08-02-2016, 11:17 AM
Let me rephrase slightly: individual players do improve but never on a scale to make the team better as a whole. Every single year, someone on this website uses "player improvement" as a reason why they they think the team will be better, and while individual players have improved, the team as a whole has never improved unless it was also accompanied by an influx of talent.

And don't forget that players can also decline due to age, injury, or just not giving a **** a la Mario Williams.

Did Brady get better over time, did he improve ??

Ginger Vitis
08-02-2016, 11:26 AM
individual players do improve but never on a scale to make the team better as a whole.

The 2011 version of Victor Cruz disagrees with you

Joe Fo Sho
08-02-2016, 11:30 AM
Let me rephrase slightly: individual players do improve but never on a scale to make the team better as a whole.

Maybe you should rephrase that again, because it's still ridiculous.

elroy16
08-02-2016, 11:31 AM

Fair enough. I don't necessarily agree, but it's an argument I can wrap my head around.

I don't necessarily think that all 11 starters are going to improve individually enough to make a big impact. I think that through player improvement and, more importantly, understanding the scheme will lead to overall a better defense.

With the way people talk, you'd think the defense was bottom 5 in the league last year. PPG is all I really care about at they were 15th last year. To get near the top 10, they'll have to drop 2-3 points per game. Over the course of the season, that's only 32-48 points. I can recall at least 3 times after a touchdown last year secondary players arguing with each other about presumably missed assignments. Cut those out and they're half way to a top 10 defense. I don't think that's that big of a stretch to hope for.

At this point, I think we just have to agree to disagree.

feldspar
08-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Tyrod extension:
[/B]This seems crazy that they are considering extending him now. I don't like this idea. I realize if he has a breakout season, signing him now will look like the smart move. However, if he really breaks out, I think he'll be a candidate to re-extend.[B]

It's downright scary if you compare Tyrod's first-year starting stats to RG3's first-year starting stats in his rookie year. I mean they are almost identical in every way...and I mean that literally. It's eerie how similar they are. It's scary when look at what happened with RG3 just the very next season and realize that could just as easily happen with Tyrod in Buffalo. Hopefully not...the point is that I agree with you.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertgriffiniii/2533033/profile

elroy16
08-03-2016, 09:12 AM
It's downright scary if you compare Tyrod's first-year starting stats to RG3's first-year starting stats in his rookie year. I mean they are almost identical in every way...and I mean that literally. It's eerie how similar they are. It's scary when look at what happened with RG3 just the very next season and realize that could just as easily happen with Tyrod in Buffalo. Hopefully not...the point is that I agree with you.

http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profile

http://www.nfl.com/player/robertgriffiniii/2533033/profile

The stats are similar, but was their play style? Washington ran a bunch of read option that year when teams weren't really preparing for it. He exposed himself a ton (something I wish TT would do less of) and got beat up quite a bit. TT ran a good amount, but I don't think the offense was predicated around the read/option like Washington's was.

RG3's downfall was his inability to read a defense at all. I live in the DC area and talk football with co-workers quite a bit. They would show me screen shots of all-22 footage of multiple receivers open, RG3 with a clean pocket, and then the next picture would be RG3 sacked or running around. He quite possibly was the worst QB in the league at reading coverages and/or going through his reads.

sahlensguy
08-03-2016, 09:29 AM
The stats are similar, but was their play style? Washington ran a bunch of read option that year when teams weren't really preparing for it. He exposed himself a ton (something I wish TT would do less of) and got beat up quite a bit. TT ran a good amount, but I don't think the offense was predicated around the read/option like Washington's was.

RG3's downfall was his inability to read a defense at all. I live in the DC area and talk football with co-workers quite a bit. They would show me screen shots of all-22 footage of multiple receivers open, RG3 with a clean pocket, and then the next picture would be RG3 sacked or running around. He quite possibly was the worst QB in the league at reading coverages and/or going through his reads.

Post more and yeah, this did not happen in Buffalo last year.

feldspar
08-03-2016, 10:52 AM

Great points all the way around.

I'd forgotten about that read-option part of it. It'll be interesting to see what RG3 does in Cleveland this year.

elroy16
08-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Great points all the way around.

I'd forgotten about that read-option part of it. It'll be interesting to see what RG3 does in Cleveland this year.

It's entirely possible that TT had one good year and that he'll regress and becoming nothing more than just another QB in the long line of failed Bills QB's. Obviously I'm hoping that isn't the case, but the statistical comparison to RG3 is interesting. I don't really recall their passing game strategy and how it's different than Roman's current system.

At worst I think we'll see a minor step back from TT, but hopefully nothing like the fall RG3 had.

I'm definitely interested to see how RG3 does in cleveland as well, if he sees the field.