PDA

View Full Version : Ragland appears to have partial ACL tear per Schefter

feldspar
08-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Initial MRI on Bills Reggie Ragland’s knee revealed what appears to be partial ACL tear; team confident it's not fully torn, per team source

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/762442793054720000

We should know more after the second opinion.

Luisito23
08-07-2016, 07:02 PM
What's the usual timeline for recovery?...or is it a season ending injury?

HHURRICANE
08-07-2016, 07:10 PM
What's the usual timeline for recovery?...or is it a season ending injury?

I think it's the equivalent of being 3 months pregnant or 9 months pregnant. Your going to have surgery eventually.

Mr. Miyagi
08-07-2016, 08:40 PM
This team is ****** cursed. Why can't we catch a ****** break??? :mad:

Turf
08-07-2016, 08:46 PM

Stupid GM.

Zero
08-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Tank it

stuckincincy
08-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Tank it

Yep.

But that won't work with a team that has a fan base that sells out year after year. Pegula bought the Bills for the same reason he bought the Sabres - a good place to park money and get a steady if unspectacular rate of return, as well as the fun of owning a major league sports franchise.

Nothing is likely to change unless fans stop forking over their cash for an inferior product.

feldspar
08-07-2016, 11:55 PM
For what it's worth, Kiko Alonso partially tore his ACL last year in week 2 of the regular season. He was out six weeks, including the bye week, which he came back directly after. So he missed five games.

If Reggie Ragland's injury is anything like Kiko's, he might only miss a game or two.

We'll know more soon...

Skooby
08-08-2016, 02:54 AM
For what it's worth, Kiko Alonso partially tore his ACL last year in week 2 of the regular season. He was out six weeks, including the bye week, which he came back directly after. So he missed five games.

If Reggie Ragland's injury is anything like Kiko's, he might only miss a game or two.

We'll know more soon...

Its going to be 2-3 months, late October / November. If the current injuries all time out properly, we should be able to field an all-new team mid-season or so. Figure we could be healty late season.

John Doe
08-08-2016, 03:05 AM
I think it's the equivalent of being 3 months pregnant or 9 months pregnant. Your going to have surgery eventually.

Not necessarily. Thurman Thomas had a similar injury in college and still has not had surgery.

jamze132
08-08-2016, 04:15 AM
Wait and see. Be glad the Bills don't employ the New York Mets training staff! If so, he'd get a couple days rest and then try playing through it.

Jan Reimers
08-08-2016, 05:01 AM

We'll know more soon...
But Kiko has never come back to anywhere near his rookie form. Whether or not it's the knee, who knows? But he hasn't been the same player he was before the injury.

trapezeus
08-08-2016, 06:08 AM
answer: russ brandon

Mahdi
08-08-2016, 07:14 AM
I have a partial tear in my ACL right now and I can say it will probably be at least 8 weeks before Ragland can play again, maybe 10.

The swelling alone takes weeks to come down and then there is also very limited range of motion in the knee where it can only be bent half-way or less.

You also lose a lot of muscle in your calf and quad due to the inactivity.

I play soccer on the 2/3 of the ACL I have so its possible to play LB like that but there is a bigger risk that at some point the whole ACL will tear.

feldspar
08-08-2016, 07:56 AM
But Kiko has never come back to anywhere near his rookie form. Whether or not it's the knee, who knows? But he hasn't been the same player he was before the injury.

He had two different injuries. Obviously, the first one was much worse and caused him to miss the whole season with the Bills. I'm not talking about that one. I'm not trying to compare two different players either. Just saying that it's possible that ACL tear could mean six weeks out in some cases, if that's in fact what Ragland has.

John Doe
08-08-2016, 01:40 PM
I have a partial tear in my ACL right now and I can say it will probably be at least 8 weeks before Ragland can play again, maybe 10.

The swelling alone takes weeks to come down and then there is also very limited range of motion in the knee where it can only be bent half-way or less.

You also lose a lot of muscle in your calf and quad due to the inactivity.

I play soccer on the 2/3 of the ACL I have so its possible to play LB like that but there is a bigger risk that at some point the whole ACL will tear.

I played 20 years of hardcourt tennis on my 2/3 of an ACL. I finally did the right thing and got a custom fitted knee brace, which I am sure that Ragland will also get fitted for. Those things make your knee pretty much bullet proof.

k-oneputt
08-08-2016, 02:34 PM
Like Thurman wore for a decade ?

RR will survive.

DraftBoy
08-08-2016, 02:45 PM
For the record, the degree of tear of the ACL is not the question to worry about. It's the structure of his knee concerning the other ligaments and area. If his knee is still structurally sound then a fitted brace and extra rehab could allow him to play, however if their is any other structural damage surgery may be the only option.

I don't think it's realistic or fair to compare anybody else's injury to Ragland's or make any assumptions about what he should or shouldn't be able to do.

Night Train
08-08-2016, 02:55 PM
For the record, the degree of tear of the ACL is not the question to worry about. It's the structure of his knee concerning the other ligaments and area. If his knee is still structurally sound then a fitted brace and extra rehab could allow him to play, however if their is any other structural damage surgery may be the only option.

I don't think it's realistic or fair to compare anybody else's injury to Ragland's or make any assumptions about what he should or shouldn't be able to do.

Well stated. Beat me to it. I could parallel someone to make a point but it means nothing. Each case is unique. He could mend without major Surgery. Ask Thurman.

Let it play out. Real info coming soon.

John Doe
08-08-2016, 03:23 PM

Why is it "unfair?" Its just a message board and there is nothing wrong about sharing stories about similar injuries. Is it unfair to assume that he will need surgery or that it will completely tear at some point in the future?

feldspar
08-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Why is it "unfair?" Its just a message board and there is nothing wrong about sharing stories about similar injuries. Is it unfair to assume that he will need surgery or that it will completely tear at some point in the future?

Lol, I agree.

Maybe it's "unfair" to talk about it at all. There is a whole range of possibilities, including a chance that Ian Rappaport was misinformed. But all he said that he was told that it APPEARS to be a partial ACL tear. I welcome any stories about partial ACL tears, and that only reflects possibilities, not what's going on specifically with Ragland. Nobody here knows that.

Even doctors are NOT going to draw conclusions based on a tweet...hopefully especially not doctors. I don't see anyone here as being a doctor qualified to make a diagnosis on an injury he hasn't seen.

As far as I can see, if it really is a partial ACL tear, Ragland could miss anywhere from six weeks to the the whole year...but most likely somewhere in between. Nobody knows whatsoever. Hopefully we'll get some relatively good news.

Night Train
08-08-2016, 03:48 PM
Lol, I agree.

Maybe it's "unfair" to talk about it at all. There is a whole range of possibilities, including a chance that Ian Rappaport was misinformed. But all he said that he was told that it APPEARS to be a partial ACL tear. I welcome any stories about partial ACL tears, and that only reflects possibilities, not what's going on specifically with Ragland. Nobody here knows that.

Even doctors are NOT going to draw conclusions based on a tweet...hopefully especially not doctors. I don't see anyone here as being a doctor qualified to make a diagnosis on an injury he hasn't seen.

As far as I can see, if it really is a partial ACL tear, Ragland could miss anywhere from six weeks to the the whole year...but most likely somewhere in between. Nobody knows whatsoever.

But we DO know we'll only win 3 or 4 games now, since it's been posted dozens of times.

You and I just cannot connect the dots. :up:

Night Train
08-08-2016, 03:57 PM
Yep.

But that won't work with a team that has a fan base that sells out year after year. Pegula bought the Bills for the same reason he bought the Sabres - a good place to park money and get a steady if unspectacular rate of return, as well as the fun of owning a major league sports franchise.

Nothing is likely to change unless fans stop forking over their cash for an inferior product.

:hitself:

DraftBoy
08-09-2016, 04:27 AM

Because we are not world class athletes. While we may suffer the same or similar injuries, the only thing that saying I had this injury and it took me X weeks to get back does is that it begins to set expectations without any real knowledge.

Yes, we don't know anything about the full damage to the knee. Assuming anything beyond what has been reported is unfair.

Mahdi
08-09-2016, 06:00 AM
Because we are not world class athletes. While we may suffer the same or similar injuries, the only thing that saying I had this injury and it took me X weeks to get back does is that it begins to set expectations without any real knowledge.

Yes, we don't know anything about the full damage to the knee. Assuming anything beyond what has been reported is unfair.

I don't know about the word "unfair." Inconclusive or irrelevant maybe. Then again, as Joe mentioned it's just a post with a bit of insight as to what may happen to a human with a partial ACL tear.

Swelling and range of motion will be major factors early on as we are the same species but of course he will have a team of people doing things to get him healthy asap so that is where things will be different.

trapezeus
08-09-2016, 06:19 AM
we need to get some lawyers into this thread to define "unfair" better.

k-oneputt
08-09-2016, 06:26 AM
"it's just unfair, people are mean"

WTF I'm sure RR could give two ****s what we think on this board.

Mr. Pink
08-09-2016, 09:10 AM
All I know is his injury must be pretty serious and he's going to miss extended time, be it 6 games, 10 games or all 16.

I think that is "fair" to assume or else we wouldn't have gone and signed his clone in Brandon Spikes.

BertSquirtgum
08-09-2016, 09:36 AM
Farts

feldspar
08-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Farts

You make a great point.

"Farts" seems rather ominous though when I see that word right next to your avatar.

Turf
08-09-2016, 10:07 AM
I'm guessing a knee brace hinders performance pretty much. Otherwise I don't understand why players wouldn't wear one before they got injured to avoid the injury. Can't anyone make one that could do that?

swiper
08-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Because we are not world class athletes.

Speak for yourself there Sally.

feldspar
08-09-2016, 10:19 AM
I'm guessing a knee brace hinders performance pretty much. Otherwise I don't understand why players wouldn't wear one before they got injured to avoid the injury. Can't anyone make one that could do that?

I remember Chan Gailey required that all offensive lineman had to wear knee braces throughout training camp, whether they liked it or not. Dunno about other positions at the moment, if they had to wear them or not. Dunno if it would have helped Ragland to escape this injury if he were wearing one at the time, either.

But yeah, I never heard of a player who ever wore a knee brace unless he had to, and just as a precautionary measure. At least I can't remember anything like that.

But if they help a guy play, then use them I says.