• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Some good Ryan coaching activity

Credit where credit is due, this is stuff I like to see.

In a number of series in training camp, Ryan has purposely put the defense in poor personnel groupings and less than ideal play calls to force his defenders to think, adjust or make the best of a bad situation knowing they will inevitably come up during the season.
    and

Another recent example came in a two-minute drill period when only the offense knew the down and distance at the end of a series. The defense was purposely kept in the dark and had to adjust and react to the offense on the fly. The result of the play was a touchdown, but for Ryan and his defensive staff it was a teaching moment to help prepare their defensive unit for stressful split-second situations where you just have to make it work the best you can and get to the next play.
    From # 3 at : http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...form=hootsuite
  • Swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

Re: Some good Ryan coaching activity

As opposed to letting the defense work and gel together as a single, cohesive unit? Yeah, no. Sounds like more Buddy Ryan stupidity to me.

Comment

• Mace
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
      As opposed to letting the defense work and gel together as a single, cohesive unit? Yeah, no. Sounds like more Buddy Ryan stupidity to me.
      You can't get around that his defense is predicated on substitutions and switching roles. Better or worse, that won't change. So it's actually smart of him to throw them into mismatches and uncertainty, because that's how it will inevitably end up anyway.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

In a number of series in training camp, Ryan has purposely put the defense in poor personnel groupings and less than ideal play calls
        "You guys need to get used to dealing with ****ty coaching, because you're going to see it in the regular season, especially from me and Wrob."

Another recent example came in a two-minute drill period when only the offense knew the down and distance at the end of a series. The defense was purposely kept in the dark and had to adjust and react to the offense on the fly.
        "You also might want to get used to not knowing what the hell is going on, because you're going to see a lot of that too."
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
          "You guys need to get used to dealing with ****ty coaching, because you're going to see it in the regular season, especially from me and Wrob."

"You also might want to get used to not knowing what the hell is going on, because you're going to see a lot of that too."
          Pretty much so isn't it smart to practice for it ?

Comment

• sahlensguy
            • Mar 2015

Sounds similar to self explanation learning.

In summary, good students benefit from this, while poor students do not.

Just a guess that an average NFL lockeroom isn't made up of rocket scientists.

Once again, OBD out smarting the rest.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
              You can't get around that his defense is predicated on substitutions and switching roles. Better or worse, that won't change. So it's actually smart of him to throw them into mismatches and uncertainty, because that's how it will inevitably end up anyway.
              I see some sense with this, but with I would worry that those mismatches and that uncertainty the players are supposed to react to may result in twisted ankles and knees.
              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• bleve
                • Mar 2005

Rex Ryan is not a bad guy imho. He's not a good HC. I don't hate on the guy, I just hate on the person (cough**Russ**cough) who enabled his hire.
                "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

They're all demons, fellas.

Never forget that, and don't take your eye off the mark; otherwise, they'll drag you to hell in your preoccupation. Nothing could be more serious...

Comment

• zone
                    No, look. I do mind. The Dude minds.
                    • Oct 2003

I think at the end of the day it will all come down to who is QB'ing the defense if there is a strong leader on the field that can get the team in the best position to succeed even when the situation is not optimal then we have the chance to be a great defense.
                    www.blzbus.com

Comment

• bdutton
                      • Jul 2013

Better to get burned in TC and learn, than to get burned in a game and lose.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bdutton View Post
                        Better to get burned in TC and learn, than to get burned in a game and lose.
                        Yeah and? That has nothing to do with what I posted. You are certainly a dumb ass. And should not be allowed to own firearms due to your degree of stupidity.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

I am not a rex apologist, its known that I think he's a poor gameday coach. but being prepared when you saw last year that you made personnel mistakes seems like a good thing to practice in addition to your regular duties. "try not to get caught in these mismatches, but if they exist, this is how we are going to try and adjust" that seems like common sense and a good thing to work through. now if the whole training camp is based on this, it's idiotic. but I don't get the sense that it is.

Comment

• bdutton
                            • Jul 2013

Yeah and? That has nothing to do with what I posted. You are certainly a dumb ass. And should not be allowed to own firearms due to your degree of stupidity.
                            LOL... Does that sand in your vag itch much?

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by bdutton View Post
                              LOL... Does that sand in your vag itch much?
                              You prove my point.

Comment

Working...
                              X