PDA

View Full Version : Knee Surgery for Ragland - IR Expected

DraftBoy
08-10-2016, 05:20 AM
http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/08/10/report-reggie-ragland-knee-surgery-expected-land-injured-reserve/

The Buffalo Bills' worst fears in regards to rookie linebacker Reggie Ragland's knee injury appear to be coming true.

According to a report from NFL Network's Ian Rapport on Wednesday morning, Ragland will have surgery to repair a partially torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee.

Ragland was hurt Friday on a non-contact play toward the tail end of practice. An initial MRI was inconclusive, and the team said swelling would have to go down in Ragland's knee before a clearer image of the injury could be obtained.

The team took steps over the weekend to prepare for a prolonged absence from Ragland by signing veteran linebackers Brandon Spikes and Brandon Hawthorne.

DraftBoy
08-10-2016, 05:22 AM
Sounds like the second imaging test revealed additional structural damage within the knee beyond the partially torn ACL which is why he needs the surgery. They won't know till they do the surgery if this is a 6-8 week timeline or if he is done for the season.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-10-2016, 06:32 AM
F it. Just shelve him til 2017. This season appears to be f'ed anyway.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-10-2016, 06:34 AM
Where are my favorite homers billsimp and better days when I need them to put a positive spin on this for me! Damn

Luisito23
08-10-2016, 06:39 AM
I think it's best to just call it a season and let him heal...

Hopefully he comes back next season stronger.

Novacane
08-10-2016, 06:44 AM
Out for the season. Bb.com

DraftBoy
08-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Out for the season. Bb.com

Was just about to post the Bills have come out and said he's done for the year.

sahlensguy
08-10-2016, 06:51 AM
Thanks Bush.

elroy16
08-10-2016, 07:01 AM
That sucks, but it isn't the end of the season. Zach Brown's a stud against the pass. Spikes is a stud against the run. Teams will no doubt try to exploit mismatches when the wrong LB is on the field at the wrong time, but I believe they have the guys to minimize the impact of losing Ragland.

The D is still going to be better than last year.

Skooby
08-10-2016, 07:07 AM
IR is speculation to this point, please change title to speculation as that's all it is right now.

EDS
08-10-2016, 07:13 AM
IR is speculation to this point, please change title to speculation as that's all it is right now.

I think it is beyond the speculation point at this stage says it says "expected" on the Bills own website.

Total bummer.

Turf
08-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Nevermind.

swiper
08-10-2016, 07:18 AM
Doug Whaley has quickly become the laughing stock of the NFL GM fraternity. Early returns on this draft not looking so good.

Buffalogic
08-10-2016, 07:28 AM
^ idiotic comment

swiper
08-10-2016, 07:33 AM
:lolabove: Idiotic poster. Soon to be owned again like he was last season.

- - - Updated - - -

Jerry Sullivan at it early:

Jerry Sullivan @TBNSully
(https://twitter.com/TBNSully)Bills fans have an entire season to overestimate how much Ragland would have meant to the defense.

Buffalogic
08-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Welp, Swiper is back on ignore. Can't believe some people actually waste their time to post brainless crap like this. Yeah, it's really Whaley's fault that the guy had a non-contact season ending injury. You are an embarrassment to this fan base.

Turf
08-10-2016, 07:56 AM
Honestly I think these guys train too hard and it accounts for these type of injuries. When everyone accuses most NFL players of steroid and HGH use, if you saw the training regime these guys go through, lifting several times a day, practice, drills etc. The human body is not designed for this, anymore than head injuries. I think it's time they backed off the players and let them play well rested and give these guys a chance to have careers. Too many very good athletes are having their bodies beat to death so they "look" like great players. This is not a game for body builders, it's an athletic game.

EDS
08-10-2016, 08:29 AM
Honestly I think these guys train too hard and it accounts for these type of injuries. When everyone accuses most NFL players of steroid and HGH use, if you saw the training regime these guys go through, lifting several times a day, practice, drills etc. The human body is not designed for this, anymore than head injuries. I think it's time they backed off the players and let them play well rested and give these guys a chance to have careers. Too many very good athletes are having their bodies beat to death so they "look" like great players. This is not a game for body builders, it's an athletic game.

I wonder if the injury would have happened if they were practicing on a grass field.

elroy16
08-10-2016, 08:40 AM
I wonder if the injury would have happened if they were practicing on a grass field.

It happened on their grass practice field.

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/763368992442454022

feldspar
08-10-2016, 09:34 AM
It happened on their grass practice field.

https://twitter.com/SalSports/status/763368992442454022

Dunno, though.

Rex Ryan says it was a non-contact injury. Chris Brown says that it looked like Ragland stepped on Bush's foot or vice versa. Don't know which one it was, or if it matters. Can't say if the field itself played a part or not, probably.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-10-2016, 09:55 AM
Where are my favorite homers billsimp and better days when I need them to put a positive spin on this for me! Damn

I don't know that I've even seen better days on the board since Rex got hired.

feldspar
08-10-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't know that I've even seen better days on the board since Rex got hired.

I've definitely seen better days.

justasportsfan
08-10-2016, 10:04 AM
Dennis Thurman said they may have change their D.
If so I wonder if its 4-3 , wide 9. .

Buffalogic
08-10-2016, 11:02 AM
Changing the scheme seems premature. Still have a semi-able foursome in Hughes, Brown, Spikes, M. Lawson.

That's a lot different than the Hughes, Brown, Ragland, S. Lawson that we were expecting. Definitely is a big blow.

Mr. Pink
08-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Not surprising with the Brown and Spikes signings.

stuckincincy
08-10-2016, 11:25 AM
Dennis Thurman said they may have change their D.
If so I wonder if its 4-3 , wide 9. .

Very good point. I don't recall them specifically saying that they are going to run (primarily) a 4 - 3 or a 3 -4 set. We all know that the line and lb positions vary by situation in today's game, and also know that you have to generally build for one or the other.

I look at their defensive roster and scratch my head.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Changing the scheme seems premature. Still have a semi-able foursome in Hughes, Brown, Spikes, M. Lawson.

That's a lot different than the Hughes, Brown, Ragland, S. Lawson that we were expecting. Definitely is a big blow.

The problem with changing our scheme is that we still need 3 linebackers. The only guy who's realistically earned his job IMO is Hughes, so there's 3 spots up in competition. If we go to a 4-3, Hughes moves to the line - and there's still 3 spots in competition.

DraftBoy
08-10-2016, 11:28 AM
The problem with changing our scheme is that we still need 3 linebackers. The only guy who's realistically earned his job IMO is Hughes, so there's 3 spots up in competition. If we go to a 4-3, Hughes moves to the line - and there's still 3 spots in competition.

You don't think Preston Brown has earned his spot? His play had some inconsistency but he was pretty good as a rookie.

stuckincincy
08-10-2016, 11:32 AM

I wouldn't look to Hughes to perform traditional, versatile LB duty. He and his agent and Bills management know that sack numbers titillate the gate in furtherance of sellout continuance.

swiper
08-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Welp, Swiper is back on ignore. Can't believe some people actually waste their time to post brainless crap like this. Yeah, it's really Whaley's fault that the guy had a non-contact season ending injury. You are an embarrassment to this fan base.

You are an embarrassment to your family. Maybe Whaley could hire better strength & conditioning people. Maybe he could get some players that could stay on the field.

swiper
08-10-2016, 11:37 AM
You don't think Preston Brown has earned his spot? His play had some inconsistency but he was pretty good as a rookie.

There was a definite change in Brown's play from year one to year two. Odds are he'll turn it back around.

Skooby
08-10-2016, 11:47 AM
You are an embarrassment to your family. Maybe Whaley could hire better strength & conditioning people. Maybe he could get some players that could stay on the field.

I couldn't even find a knee issue in the dudes whole career, so blaming Whaley or anyone for something freaky (& frequently) happening is crazy talk, we're all upset but get off your high horse.

swiper
08-10-2016, 11:53 AM
The Skooby Research Dept.

:rofl:

IlluminatusUIUC
08-10-2016, 12:11 PM

He played well for a rookie in a different defensive scheme two years ago. I don't think that should guarantee him a starter role in 2016, especially considering how far he fell off last year. Lawson took over his signals duties as I recall.

swiper
08-10-2016, 12:16 PM
He played well for a rookie in a different defensive scheme two years ago. I don't think that should guarantee him a starter role in 2016, especially considering how far he fell off last year. Lawson took over his signals duties as I recall.

That fall was more an indictment of Rex Ryan than it was Preston Brown. Jim Schwartz showed you what Brown could be. Ryan had them all playing at a lesser level. The same could said of Hughes, no? His sack total was cut in half last year with only 5.

Joe Fo Sho
08-10-2016, 12:21 PM
That fall was more an indictment of Rex Ryan than it was Preston Brown. Jim Schwartz showed you what Brown could be. Ryan had them all playing at a lesser level. The same could said of Hughes, no? His sack total was cut in half last year with only 5.

Luckily he was able to increase his penalty total from 9 to 13.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-10-2016, 12:22 PM

The same could indeed be said of Hughes, but he has had success in a 3-4 before under Pettine, his contract pretty much mandates that he start, and he's our only edge rusher. Otherwise I'd say his position would be in jeopardy too.

swiper
08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Luckily he was able to increase his penalty total from 9 to 13.

LOL. That he did.

stuckincincy
08-10-2016, 12:35 PM

Re your comment in another thread: "Hawthorne is an OLB right? He played a lot there under Ryan iirc. He's likely insurance behind Lawson."

I think you were spot on - Hawthorne surely doesn't have the physical skills he had in his youth, but he has an 8 years in the NFL, and having a pair of experienced eyes seems a good idea.

sudzy
08-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Well, I sure hope he fits our new coach's defensive system.

Historian
08-10-2016, 02:02 PM

I'm beginning to question the need for training camp.

Yes, there should be a camp, but it should be more classroom work than hitting and pads.

It seems to me that the physical part is always there, but it's the lack of mental preparation that tends to show itself in games.

I also think the entire medical staff should be replaced. They are giving management some really bad advice these days.

justasportsfan
08-10-2016, 02:18 PM
Well that's it.

Rex said we won the off season.......now we lost it again. Typical. Folded during crunch time.

Skooby
08-10-2016, 02:20 PM
The Skooby Research Dept.

:rofl:

Well there's no history of it so I'd say that if it's not on the radar, you can't send in the fighters.

mdcas22
08-10-2016, 04:18 PM
Bills expect Reggie Ragland to miss season with torn ACL (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/bills-expect-reggie-ragland-to-miss-season-with-torn-acl/)Posted by Josh Alper on August 10, 2016, 9:28 AM EDT
https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/ap_16214674215284-e1470835693780.jpg?w=209
APWe shared a report earlier on Wednesday that Bills rookie linebacker Reggie Ragland (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11320/reggie-ragland) will have surgery (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/10/reggie-ragland-expected-to-have-knee-surgery-this-week/)this week to repair a knee injury suffered in practice last week and that there would be a clearer idea of his outlook for the 2016 season after it was completed.
The Bills appear to already have an idea about what that determination is going to be. The team confirmed that Ragland will have surgery this week and said that they expect him (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Reggie-Ragland-expected-to-miss-the-season-after-torn-ACL/49ff02e5-6117-4401-99b2-98a9924ffe12) to miss the entire season after tearing his ACL.
It’s a big blow to the Bills, who traded three picks to move into position to draft Ragland in the second round. He was ticketed for a starting job on a defense that they hope will be more effective than last year’s edition, but is now missing both Ragland and first-round pick Shaq Lawson (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/11306/shaq-lawson) in the front seven. The Bills hope Lawson’s shoulder will allow him to return to the lineup in the regular season, but it certainly isn’t how they drew things up in Buffalo.
Zach Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7510/zach-brown), Brandon Spikes and David Hawthorne are experienced options to go along with Preston Brown (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9590/preston-brown) at inside linebacker as the Bills move forward without Ragland.

swiper
08-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Well, I sure hope he fits our new coach's defensive system.

LOL. You mean we have to live through another round of "Maybe they can get Shanahan, Coughlin, Cowher, Gruden, etc, etc, etc" threads?

mdcas22
08-10-2016, 04:53 PM
considering we lost 2 former 1st round picks on a mediocre defense from last year and now we lose our top 2 draft picks from this years draft, not really knowing if the defense would have taken a step forward with the 2 rookies. the offense is the same and everyone is hoping that players like TT and Sammy Watkins improve enough to put the team in the playoff picture. well I'm a negative Nancy and say we don't even sniff the playoffs now, the truth is we might not have sniff them if we are fully healthy. I'll bet Rex gets a pass now or will use the injury's as a big reason if the team falters. Maybe there really is a Flutie curse on the Bill's.

Mace
08-10-2016, 05:16 PM
LOL. You mean we have to live through another round of "Maybe they can get Shanahan, Coughlin, Cowher, Gruden, etc, etc, etc" threads?

If they hired Rex they'll hire anyone. Hire Reich as HC to manage the despicable Art Briles as OC and get Schwartz back here as assistant HC/DC.

mdcas22
08-10-2016, 05:20 PM
If they hired Rex they'll hire anyone. Hire Reich as HC to manage the despicable Art Briles as OC and get Schwartz back here as assistant HC/DC.

should have hired Schwartz last year and stll got Roman i'd bet we would have made the playoffs last year and the offense would have been the priority in this years draft.

Mace
08-10-2016, 05:30 PM
should have hired Schwartz last year and stll got Roman i'd bet we would have made the playoffs last year and the offense would have been the priority in this years draft.

Or hired a real head coaching guy who head coached, kept Schwartz and gotten Roman. I was never convinced of Schwartz as an HC.

But the end result may well have been the same. More success instead of less.

sudzy
08-10-2016, 05:41 PM
Or hired a real head coaching guy who head coached, kept Schwartz and gotten Roman. I was never convinced of Schwartz as an HC.

But the end result may well have been the same. More success instead of less.

I don't think Schwartz was going to stay with the team if he didn't get the HC job. It's an ego thing.

Mace
08-10-2016, 07:18 PM
He was locked into contract for another year though.

coastal
08-11-2016, 04:43 AM
The stage is being set for a comlelte meltdown.

maybe this is the year they tank.

mayne this year they get the first pick.

maybe this year they get to select a franchise QB again.

or maybe... just maybe...

the greatest CB prospect of all time is ready to be selected first overall!

YardRat
08-11-2016, 04:54 AM

Well, Wrecks is the coach again this season, not Schwartz, so....

swiper
08-11-2016, 07:06 AM

While Reich is surely a sentimental favorite, the jury is still out on him as a coach. Let's see how he does in Philadelphia first.

feldspar
08-11-2016, 11:03 AM
The stage is being set for a comlelte meltdown.

mayne this year they get the first pick.

maybe this year they get to select a franchise QB again.

or maybe... just maybe...

the greatest CB prospect of all time is ready to be selected first overall!

Or, maybe you'll lick my crack.

stuckincincy
08-11-2016, 11:17 AM

OBD isn't canny enough to work out a tanking plan. Pegs would have to arrange for some Sabres' personnel to meet with them at some backwoods bar.

feldspar
08-11-2016, 12:13 PM
OBD isn't canny enough to work out a tanking plan. Pegs would have to arrange for some Sabres' personnel to meet with them at some backwoods bar.

The only way to tank on purpose is to deliberately hire incompetent personnel. Nobody on Earth would risk their jobs and future to huddle in the corner and say "let's lose." Nobody would be in on that type of conspiracy in the NFL, ever. Never. The team tanks, you lose your job without future prospects, and aren't even around to reap the potential benefits in any way. Sign me up. Who would do that?

Joe Fo Sho
08-11-2016, 12:17 PM
The only way to tank on purpose is to deliberately hire incompetent personnel. Nobody on Earth would risk their jobs and future to huddle in the corner and say "let's lose." Nobody would be in on that type of conspiracy in the NFL, ever. Never. The team tanks, you lose your job without future prospects, and aren't even around to reap the potential benefits in any way. Sign me up. Who would do that?

...but every 1st overall draft pick has single handedly reversed their teams fortunes.

stuckincincy
08-11-2016, 12:55 PM

The NFL and the workers are effectively a guild. 32 fiefdoms. You do your particular Dukes' bidding, you are a loyal member. There is no end of examples of worthless coaches at all levels on losing clubs popping back into another NFL gig or dipping into the college ranks. And back. It reminds me of Whack-a-Mole - knock 'em down and there they are again, or public sector employment.

IND flushed their roster in preparation for their (successful) tank for Luck. You probably weren't around when the Bills and Philly were racing to get Simpson. PHI coach Joe Kuharich was canned and never invited back to the party because of his dumb winning of a game near the season's end.

IlluminatusUIUC
08-11-2016, 01:41 PM
The NFL and the workers are effectively a guild. 32 fiefdoms. You do your particular Dukes' bidding, you are a loyal member. There is no end of examples of worthless coaches at all levels on losing clubs popping back into another NFL gig or dipping into the college ranks. And back. It reminds me of Whack-a-Mole - knock 'em down and there they are again, or public sector employment.

IND flushed their roster in preparation for their (successful) tank for Luck. You probably weren't around when the Bills and Philly were racing to get Simpson. PHI coach Joe Kuharich was canned and never invited back to the party because of his dumb winning of a game near the season's end.

Everyone involved in the Colts' 2011 season got fired, though. If tanking was supposed to be Polian and Caldwell's masterstroke, then it blew up in their faces.

Night Train
08-11-2016, 01:46 PM
We beat Luck last year and he hasn't taken them anywhere yet.

$140 Mil well spent ? Not so sure. Talk about crushing a teams cap.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/08/11/good-and-bad-andrew-lucks-camp/87532972/

Skooby
08-11-2016, 02:19 PM
We beat Luck last year and he hasn't taken them anywhere yet.

$140 Mil well spent ? Not so sure. Talk about crushing a teams cap.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/08/11/good-and-bad-andrew-lucks-camp/87532972/

Luck was hurt all last season and toughed it out, every year before that with Luck the Colts were in the playoffs or finals. Let's not minimalize those facts with one a bad season. Heck Drew Brees had a few stinkers and got real good, now not so much.

feldspar
08-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Everyone involved in the Colts' 2011 season got fired, though. If tanking was supposed to be Polian and Caldwell's masterstroke, then it blew up in their faces.

Yeah, because that's what happens every time a team is that bad.

Nobody can tell me that the Colts "sucked for Luck," as the saying goes. They had Peyton Manning on that team, and was out that year because of his neck. There wasn't even really time to set up horrible personnel to get bad enough for thee number 1 pick. As it turns out, the Colts were THAT bad without Manning. Curtis Painter? They replaced him later in the season because they wanted to win.

The Colts won their two games at the end of the season, and just so happened to win the tiebreaker with the Rams to get the first pick. The Rams only had two wins as well. You don't win games on purpose down the stretch if your goal is to out-lose the Rams.

Like you said, everyone got fired after that season with the Colts. Losing was not deliberate. Polian definitely would not do that...and he didn't.

Mace
08-11-2016, 05:41 PM
While Reich is surely a sentimental favorite, the jury is still out on him as a coach. Let's see how he does in Philadelphia first.

Well, honestly I like Reich not because he's sentimental, but because I remember reading during the HC candidate summaries last round that he has manager traits, organized, prepared, communicator, cool head.

I'm tired of the coordinator parade where we always get guys with a specialty. I'm wishing they'd instead find a guy who can coordinate two good coordinators and maybe concentrate on game management without leaning toward paying more attention to one side of the ball.

Is that Reich ? I sure don't know, but you don't see many overall game candidates not committed to "system"