PDA

View Full Version : The way to early EJ vs Cardale Debate

The Natrix
08-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Who knows with these two.

On one hand you have one who's best two career games could be the Carolina game and the Jacksonville loss. On the other you have a QB with 2 preseason games under his belt.

EJ's slow starts are especially worrisome. He has never played a complete game. See Car Jax and today. Cardale seems to come out more football ready at the gate.

I really hope Cardale can step it up next week, because if Tyrod goes down and one of the two that showed up today, shows up, good luck Bills.

Mace
08-20-2016, 07:22 PM
If Taylor goes down, 8-8 is a pipe dream.

Manuel is a more mobile, less accurate Trentative Edwards but Cardale is way too raw imho.

The Natrix
08-20-2016, 07:32 PM
Josh Johnson is currently outplaying both of them.

justasportsfan
08-20-2016, 08:03 PM
I like what Im seeing in Jones

sahlensguy
08-21-2016, 08:40 AM
I like what Im seeing in Jones

IDT, but 17-32 so far isn't going to cut it.

YardRat
08-21-2016, 09:50 AM
Jones certainly isn't lighting it up, but at this point he really isn't expected to. What Jones has in his favor is that he and EJ are basically playing at the same level...the difference is one has three years of experience, the other three months. EJ's already hit his ceiling, it's up to Jones over the next season or two to see if he can rise about that point.

swiper
08-21-2016, 10:06 AM
Jones certainly isn't lighting it up, but at this point he really isn't expected to. What Jones has in his favor is that he and EJ are basically playing at the same level...the difference is one has three years of experience, the other three months. EJ's already hit his ceiling, it's up to Jones over the next season or two to see if he can rise about that point.

As if the Bills don't have enough problems, now if their mobile starting QB goes down the season ends.

sahlensguy
08-21-2016, 10:52 AM
As if the Bills don't have enough problems, now if their mobile starting QB goes down the season ends.

If Tyrod went down and the Bills needed to win ONE game, is go with Jones right now and feel okay about it. If Tyrod went down for three or four game stretch, well that's another story.

Backup qbs are traditionally hold the fort down type of guys. Jones isn't that type and with how porous our D is shaping up to be, our qbs are going to have to light up the board. Jones has that mentality. He just needs to be more accurate. EJ is a fine mentor (accuracy aside).

Skooby
08-21-2016, 11:31 AM
EJ shouldn't even be seeing the field, it's sickening.

stuckincincy
08-21-2016, 08:28 PM
His long passes remind me of Jeff Blake's banana bombs.

stuckincincy
08-21-2016, 08:48 PM
Jones', that is.

trapezeus
08-22-2016, 09:00 AM
the only reason to not play jones ahead of ej is to protect him in his development. the bills did this to ej already. he wasn't ready and they trotted him out there and he is what he is. if cardale shows flashes and can stay off the field for a full year and work in practice and in the film room, he may very well develop the way you want him to. if you trot him out, you will make him EJ/Trent/JP. TT needs to stay healthy, and if he doesn't, you got to send out EJ. you have no expectation of winning with EJ, but you know you aren't ruining another QB. I don't really see this as a playoff year either, so I wouldn't be upset losing games with EJ. but that's me.

OpIv37
08-22-2016, 09:15 AM
No one believes we can win with EJ. We most likely aren't winning with Jones either, at least not yet. So it makes sense to play Jones. My only concern, as trap said, would be putting him out there too soon and shell-shocking him like we did to EJ, Trent, JP and pretty much every other young QB we've gotten our hands on in the last 20 years.

justasportsfan
08-22-2016, 09:19 AM
IDT, but 17-32 so far isn't going to cut it.

I don't expect him to be accurate in preseason especially for a rookie who is a project. It's not like he's pulling a Robosack/Tent dink and dunk either. At least he's decisive and has a laser arm. He doesn't look like a chicken with his head cut off that EJ still does at times when he's in there. I'm also looking at him as back up in the future.

sahlensguy
08-22-2016, 09:29 AM
I don't expect him to be accurate in preseason especially for a rookie who is a project. It's not like he's pulling a Robosack/Tent dink and dunk either. At least he's decisive and has a laser arm. He doesn't look like a chicken with his head cut off that EJ still does at times when he's in there. I'm also looking at him as back up in the future.

What do I know, but I think accuracy in preseason against scrubs is indicative to what the accuracy will be as his experience increases, and as the level of the opposing defense increases.

trapezeus
08-22-2016, 02:56 PM
I think justa's point is that as a project, if he isn't 8-10 every preseason, it's ok. as long as his 17 completions are better than dinks and dunks, he can show some promise to be a better passer. the first game, it looked like he could sling it around and run an abbreviated 2 minute drill. we've definitely seen worse. I don't think we should see him until 2018...but that's literally how developing a player works. especially if you have a starter infront of him. you dpn't get that luxury when the whole stable of qb's suck.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Let me jinx it now --- if McCoy is healthy after the next pre-season game, I believe he's primed to have one of his best season this year.

Roman had Gore, but he never had a guy like McCoy before and if his reputation of running game guru holds (which has always been), I think he's going to have better designs for McCoy this year.

Of course Tyrod and Watkins' continued improvement can only help the cause ... in particular, I think teams will shift from stopping Bills running game to stopping Tyrod in near future.

justasportsfan
08-23-2016, 10:55 AM
What do I know, but I think accuracy in preseason against scrubs is indicative to what the accuracy will be as his experience increases, and as the level of the opposing defense increases.
I don't know either but it's hard to grade someone when the players you are with on the field are scrubs who might not make the team either. Right now is that all I can say is he is not Trentative.

Turf
08-23-2016, 11:04 AM
I watched the game again yesterday, and watching EJ is frustrating. He locks onto one receiver from the start of the snap. He rarely goes through a progression, and tries to force it into his initial target. He stares the receivers down and makes it easy to read where he's going. By the time he decides he can't throw it, its too late for him to look around.
Cardale sees the field better, yet has accuracy issues. He'll get better in that regard.
Being EJ has zero upside, and Cardale is already ahead of him in seeing the field, I'm going with Cardale.

stuckincincy
08-25-2016, 11:39 AM
Pundit's take on Jones:

"BUFFALO BILLS: Cardale Jones, quarterback. The Bills are hoping to develop the gunslinger into a legitimate QB2, but Jones has a long way to go before he can step in and direct an NFL offense. The fourth-round pick continues to tease evaluators with his exceptional arm talent, but he needs to become more consistent with his footwork and fundamentals to improve his accuracy from the pocket. In completing 6 of 12 passes for 83 yards and an interception against the Giants on Saturday, Jones showed he could throw the ball over the top of the defense with pinpoint strikes down the boundary (see: his 31-yard pass to Walt Powell on a fade route). He also made an impressive throw on the move to Greg Little on a naked bootleg play. However, Jones repeatedly tossed the ball falling off his back foot and exercised poor judgment when forced to play off-script. Although his flaws are correctable, he needs to learn how to play winning football to enhance his chances of moving up the depth chart. GRADE: C"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688859/article/week-2-preseason-grades-afc-will-fuller-terrelle-pryor-dazzle

Seems to be in line with what his draft profile by NFL.com said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/cardale-jones?id=2555426

Victor7
08-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Ah yes the **** salad vs **** sandwich debate.

If either one of them gets to see the filed for an extended period of time we will pick in the top 5-10 next season. Pray to whatever god you like. And maybe one or two more just for safety's sake that Tyrod stays healthy. We have no shot at all with the most innacurate QB I've ever seen (EJ) and a linebacker wearing No. 7 (Jones)