PDA

View Full Version : August 22 - knowing what we know

trapezeus
08-22-2016, 08:49 AM
I am as pessimistic as anyone about this season, but the starting defense has played pretty well in two games with their thin corp. either indy and NYG are really bad (totally possible), or the bills are silently putting it together. I still don't think we've seen enough to know. but it makes me think we could possibly have some entertaining games in the fall. might not win them or be a playoff team, but complete tirefire might not happen.

the offense also showed some promise with the starters vs the giants. still a little reliant on the big play and not consistent to just work the clock, but it is preseason. typically in the jauron years, we had much sloppier preseason games and were told they were putting it together. this at least shows some progress. I still don't see this team winning more than 5 games, but I feel like they have a chance to be interesting. and that's really the best any bills team after 2000 can offer.

Jordan Gay needs to go.

the release of karlos does muddy the waters of what you are to believe when the team speaks up. they said they'd stand by him and then cut him before a game. definitely seems like strange things are happening behind closed doors.

swiper
08-22-2016, 12:28 PM
I think you were on to something stating that the Colts & Giants were particularly bad. They were surprisingly bad. I watched a bit of the Jets/Redskins this week. Colt McCoy is loving the chance to run the first team offense. The Bills will go a long way in my book if they can do better than the Jets did against the Redskins.

BillsOwnAll
08-22-2016, 12:47 PM
I hope the players know what karlos did to get cut but they don't tell the public, keep the bad stuff in house no need for us to know. But I hope the players now so they knew the team is actually serious about winning and being a team

Skooby
08-22-2016, 02:19 PM
I hope the players know what karlos did to get cut but they don't tell the public, keep the bad stuff in house no need for us to know. But I hope the players now so they knew the team is actually serious about winning and being a team

Which means cutting the fat (Dareus).

YardRat
08-22-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm liking the weekly thread, trap.

Night Train
08-22-2016, 05:16 PM
the release of karlos does muddy the waters of what you are to believe when the team speaks up. they said they'd stand by him and then cut him before a game. definitely seems like strange things are happening behind closed doors.

Why should a 5th round backup RB who completely ****ed up get a roster spot reserved for him while others are in camp working hard and showing ability. RIP Athletic Entitlement.

Maybe the owner spoke up or Rex had enough of his *****t. Don't care. It's the right move. in addition, Dareus should be fined heavily by the team, in addition to rehab. Wake him up or place him on the reserve/kettlehead list.

swiper
08-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Why should a 5th round backup RB who completely ****ed up get a roster spot reserved for him while others are in camp working hard and showing ability. RIP Athletic Entitlement.

Maybe the owner spoke up or Rex had enough of his *****t. Don't care. It's the right move. in addition, Dareus should be fined heavily by the team, in addition to rehab. Wake him up or place him on the reserve/kettlehead list.

More likely he was just to fat and out of shape and not motivated enough to get back. Bye bye. We all loved you for 5 minutes.

Mace
08-22-2016, 06:44 PM
I think the thing I look for most in preseason is individual effort, there aren't game plans, but you get a sense of starters tuning up their game, and players working hard at earning a roster spot or moving up the depth chart....or you get a sense of disinterested players going through the motions (Giants) to get out of there.

To date I haven't noticed any of the Bills players coasting (despite some people evidently thinking I was really comparing McCoy's rushing performance to Nassib as a statement in preseason game 2 in the Mature Shady thread). Everyone seems to be trying to do what they're supposed to be trying to do with appropriate effort.

How that works in the systems when they go live, I don't know, but the preaseason (to me) is being used as intended to date.

- I'm disappointed in Karlos, not the Bills, he obviously has bigger issues. The concussions worried me more. For a brief while last season I thought we finally had ourselves a certifiable bruiser with speed. The concussion made me realize it wasn't to be anyway.
- Dareus, well, as I've said should have had void language in the contract. I blame the FO for that, but no helping it now. Rehab was the smart move.
- pleased with Taylor, Albright, Seymour, Adolphus, Worthy, Duke Williams, Colt Anderson on special teams, Blanton. Koundjio while not being good, hasn't been bad, that's progress. The wr's are looking serviceable if not deadly. Zach Brown seems to be stepping it up.
-I'm okay with Biermann
-disappointed in Gronkowski (why can you not beat out Felton ?), the player sideshow to date, Jordan Gay not getting any better as a kicker (though I'm fine with Carpenter), Dez Lewis fading into the background)

So far the offseason hasn't changed my thinking that they could go anywhere from 5-11 to 9-7, though I'm not expecting much.

Mr. Pink
08-23-2016, 12:37 AM
What we know now?

Things can't get much worse.

Or can they?

trapezeus
08-23-2016, 11:31 AM
yardrat, I figured this is a good way to know how we all stand given the information we have. some of us are pessimistic at the start of the season, but if the first games show some promise, you should be allowed to adjust your expectations as you see things change. it is incredibly easy to be pessimistic, but we should try and see where the positives are if any.

and night train, I agree with you for most part on karlos. but rex shouldn't have said, "we'll stand by him." this wasn't an issue of 10lbs overweight because he bulked up from working out. These are the mistakes rex has made for years and it reflects poorly on him and his team. perhaps behind closed doors has the whole thing under control, but it seems unlikely.