Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the table

This is getting real ugly between the Chargers and Bosa, I'd take him over the up to 360 tests Dareus (odds on him passing / making all of them is like .01%). We have to eliminate the off-set language & fall into the guidelines & have a rookie contract / guy that should be able to play at a good level. Even if he's not ready to start the first month full-time, neither will Dareus. A change of venue makes sense for both teams.

In a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon regarding unsigned defensive end Joey Bosa, the Chargers said that they will restructure (i.e., reduce) the financial package that previously had been on the table for the No. 3 overall pick in the draft.

What do you guys think ????
    Last edited by Skooby; 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM.
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

yahoo article says the time for a trade has come and gone based on the CBA terms. either they come to terms, or bosa re-enters the draft. but he loses more money if he isn't selected 3rd or better. they have to realize that this is the ebst offer and it's going to get tougher. and the chargers have to realize, there is no compensation if they lose him, so they can't crush the contract to a ridiculously low level. I'm guessing this is solved by Saturday at latest.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Re: Bosa /Chargers aren't coming together, their best offer is being pulled of the ta

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
      yahoo article says the time for a trade has come and gone based on the CBA terms. either they come to terms, or bosa re-enters the draft. but he loses more money if he isn't selected 3rd or better. they have to realize that this is the ebst offer and it's going to get tougher. and the chargers have to realize, there is no compensation if they lose him, so they can't crush the contract to a ridiculously low level. I'm guessing this is solved by Saturday at latest.
      OK cool, I haven't vetted the idea. Thanks.

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

I like what the Chargers did. There is no reason for the nonsense from Bosa's agent and they are absolutely right that he's not as valuable by holding out as long as he has so it makes perfect sense for them to reduce the offer.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
          I like what the Chargers did. There is no reason for the nonsense from Bosa's agent and they are absolutely right that he's not as valuable by holding out as long as he has so it makes perfect sense for them to reduce the offer.
          What a way to start a relationship, first real holdout problem since the inception of the rookie wage scale.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
            • Sep 2012

This is a recurring problem with the Chargers. They must be a nightmare to deal with.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• DesertFox24
              • Jul 2005

I read awhile ago the main issue was offset language. Bosa's camp wanted entire guaranteed money; however, chargers wanted offsets added. Basically if the chargers cut him before his contract is fulfilled (4 years) if another team signs him then the dollar amount of that contract is removed from what the chargers owe him.

In essence if he signs a 4 year 20 million dollar deal but only plays 3 years and then chargers cut him, but he is picked up by browns for 2 million then chargers only owe him 18 million total. He wanted that removed so he got full amount regardless. Which I think is fair if you are the number 3 pick.

I honestly do not understand the issues or how what he is asking compares to others around him.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

Eli was smarter than most, he avoided them right out of the box (Archie is the man).

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

the chargers aren't the only team that uses offsets in their rookie contract language (most teams do, it's something that was allowed with the rookie pay cap); they are one of a handful of teams that do it with their "other" contracts though. everyone knows they do. it's just what you have to live with when you deal with the chargers.

it's not just the chargers, nearly every single rookie who signed this year has offset language in their deal.

It's obviously collusion the way nfl clubs are using it. but while I would be all over the team if it was anyone else for collusion, the chargers have been using offset language or a form of it in every single contract signed since the last labor deal. Its their way of doing business.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Scumbag College
                    • Oct 2002

Jordan Gay for Bosa.

Get it done, Whaley!
                    Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Courtesy of a Chargers fan at SB Nation (arandom) :

You’re right, it’s stupid.
                      Offset language doesn’t work the way you think it does though. His money is 100% guaranteed, so if they cut him, they still have to pay him.
                      BUT, with offset language, if they cut him and he signs with another team for $X, then the Chargers have to pay him $X less. He will still definitely get paid the amount of his contract. But if there were no offsets, then Bosa could actually get more money by playing bad and being cut (he’d get paid by the Chargers, and then also by the new team). Offset language makes it so he gets paid the same as if he weren’t cut.
                      It’s all guaranteed.
                      Bosa wants either
                      1) To be able to "double dip" if he gets cut, getting paid twice, or
                      2) All his money now so that he could in theory invest it a few months earlier and get extra interest on it
                      That’s literally all he’s holding out for, and yes, it’s incredibly stupid, and it’s why this is the longest rookie holdout ever under the new CBA, because no one else would think that those things are worth starting so much BS over.
                      Bosa's going to be sorry, Chargers aren't doing anything weird.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

2017 first for Bosa

Comment

• Mace
                          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                          2017 first for Bosa
                          No way. Still a chance all the QB's go down the drain and that could be Chad Kelly.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                            • Jun 2009

He's versatile enough to play Shag's position.
                            I would do that in a second, problem is San Diego would not.
                            Whaley should at least make the call.

Comment

• Mace
                              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                              He's versatile enough to play Shag's position.
                              I would do that in a second, problem is San Diego would not.
                              Whaley should at least make the call.
                              Shaq is versatile enough to play Shaq's position also, and we already have him.

Furthermore, Bosa can't be traded. He'd have had to have been signed by August 8th to be eligible for trading this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X