PDA

View Full Version : Good stuff, Jerel Worthy

Mace
08-24-2016, 10:21 PM
Doing well.

The analytics website Pro Football Focus graded Worthy as one of the top two interior defensive linemen during Week Two of the preseason. He had five total tackles against the Giants.

Under the tutelage of defensive line coach John Blake, Worthy has been training at every spot on the defensive line – from nose tackle to five-technique defensive end.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/08/24/much-traveled-worthy-thinks-hes-found-a-home-with-bills/

Effort plus rotational linemen are a good thing.

DesertFox24
08-25-2016, 11:26 AM
The guy is 26, 27 years old and was drafted in the second round. If he can play up to that status and be solid it would make me feel so much better about Kyle Williams replacement. The way I look at it is we need a two new starters on DL, fingers crossed Washington is one. Kyle will be one this year, but I am guessing this is his last year especially if Gilmore gets franchised, so we will need a new starter there. We will also need some good backups because Bryant is a free agent after this year so unless we resign we will need three. As a result I am expecting a DL and WR draft this year and free agency period.

elroy16
08-25-2016, 11:34 AM
One thing I found interesting while listening to Worthy's interview on the John Murphy show, which wasn't mentioned in the article, was his comment about the scheme here versus Green Bay. He said here, in the base packages, he's allowed to get off the ball and penetrate more.

I thought it was interesting because there's been discussions about 1-gap vs 2-gap responsibilities and how the lineman read and react versus penetrating like in Schwartz's D.

Last year felt like they were reading and reacting to the offense, so far this pre-season, the front 7 looks more aggressive. I'd be curious to know if the responsibilities changed this year, guys were being lazy last year, or a combination of things.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/audio/Jerel-Worthy-I-am-trying-to-make-it-home-here/3ed4c9a0-d2cc-40bc-ab71-f3c4886ec83f

The Jokeman
08-26-2016, 06:59 AM
The guy is 26, 27 years old and was drafted in the second round. If he can play up to that status and be solid it would make me feel so much better about Kyle Williams replacement. The way I look at it is we need a two new starters on DL, fingers crossed Washington is one. Kyle will be one this year, but I am guessing this is his last year especially if Gilmore gets franchised, so we will need a new starter there. We will also need some good backups because Bryant is a free agent after this year so unless we resign we will need three. As a result I am expecting a DL and WR draft this year and free agency period.

Kyle hasn't played at all this preseason, I wonder if his job is safe? As he could be a surprise cut if we want to free up cap space in an effort to re-sign Gilmore.

DesertFox24
08-26-2016, 11:16 AM
Kyle hasn't played at all this preseason, I wonder if his job is safe? As he could be a surprise cut if we want to free up cap space in an effort to re-sign Gilmore.

I too was thinking about this, this morning. That said though they have Gilmore signed currently and on the books. I think this offseason though there will be a few older vets that are bills fan favorites that will be let go. Not only is Gilmore up but Woods, Goodwin, Gragg. I would really hope that if woods has a good season we try to keep him as well.