X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

Some thoughts on the game

1. Bills are clearly in "get out of the preseason with no more injuries" mode. People call Rex a dummy sometimes, but he's smart enough to figure out in only one year that Murphy's Law is the way of the land with this team. I liked the move sitting most starters and only playing Taylor two series.

2. I think the Cardale Jones "sore shoulder" story is bogus. They wanted to give Manuel an entire game to convincingly earn the backup spot. I wasn't too impressed. He throws too many passes like I shoot darts when I'm drunk -- more aiming than throwing and usually off target.

3. I think the defense is sneaky good with decent depth. They rested the whole starting secondary, and Cousins really didn't get things going until 3rd and 4th stringers were going against him.

4. Hochuli needs to go. Makes the entire game about himself. Several awful calls but, even if they were legit, what are you doing throwing like 30 flags in a freaking preseason game.

5. Rob Ryan looks like a man who knows where the party is. I would like to hang out with him.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: Some thoughts on the game

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
    1. Bills are clearly in "get out of the preseason with no more injuries" mode. People call Rex a dummy sometimes, but he's smart enough to figure out in only one year that Murphy's Law is the way of the land with this team. I liked the move sitting most starters and only playing Taylor two series.

2. I think the Cardale Jones "sore shoulder" story is bogus. They wanted to give Manuel an entire game to convincingly earn the backup spot. I wasn't too impressed. He throws too many passes like I shoot darts when I'm drunk -- more aiming than throwing and usually off target.

3. I think the defense is sneaky good with decent depth. They rested the whole starting secondary, and Cousins really didn't get things going until 3rd and 4th stringers were going against him.

4. Hochuli needs to go. Makes the entire game about himself. Several awful calls but, even if they were legit, what are you doing throwing like 30 flags in a freaking preseason game.

5. Rob Ryan looks like a man who knows where the party is. I would like to hang out with him.
    I spent a lot of the game wondering how Manuel became Trent Edwards without the hits.

Major OL depth issues as most knew anyway. I'm warming up to Adolphus Washington. They need another real TE who can catch and block. Keep Walter Powell.

Comment

• Thurmal
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      I spent a lot of the game wondering how Manuel became Trent Edwards without the hits.
      It's weird; I don't really watch college ball, but he couldn't have been that inaccurate then, right? 60% of the screen passes he throws have the receiver looking like he's fielding a ground ball at shortstop.
      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

I'd like to add to 5...

Rob looks like the deranged crazy homeless dude who has war stories that just get better and better as the beers start flowing more freely.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
          I'd like to add to 5...

Rob looks like the deranged crazy homeless dude who has war stories that just get better and better as the beers start flowing more freely.
          I think it would be fun to bend elbows at a dive with the Ryan boys. Sharp eye on the exit door, of course.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

1. The preseason is worthless.

2. The NFL seriously needs full-time referees and fire the old regime.

3. If the NFL was serious about concussions and player safety, they would eliminate the preseason.

4. Thank God Tyrod Taylor didn't get killed today.

5. The NFL used to be fun to watch.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
              1. The preseason is worthless.

2. The NFL seriously needs full-time referees and fire the old regime.

3. If the NFL was serious about concussions and player safety, they would eliminate the preseason.

4. Thank God Tyrod Taylor didn't get killed today.

5. The NFL used to be fun to watch.
              You're weeping rage from your very pores Imp !

Comment

• EricStratton
                • Jul 2002

The sore shoulder setup may allow the Bills to stash Jones on the IR without exposing him to waivers

I've heard the Jets are about about to do that with Hackenberg.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                  Peterman Sucks!
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by EricStratton View Post
                  The sore shoulder setup may allow the Bills to stash Jones on the IR without exposing him to waivers

I've heard the Jets are about about to do that with Hackenberg.
                  That would make sense. I don't think they'd want to carry 3 QBs on their active roster and someone likely claims him if they try to sneak him onto the practice squad.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                    That would make sense. I don't think they'd want to carry 3 QBs on their active roster and someone likely claims him if they try to sneak him onto the practice squad.
                    Eh - put him on the practice squad. I can't recall when another team plucked a player off of BUF's practice squad. He's a 4th round comp pick who so far shows to be the same player he was in college.
                    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                      It's weird; I don't really watch college ball, but he couldn't have been that inaccurate then, right? 60% of the screen passes he throws have the receiver looking like he's fielding a ground ball at shortstop.
                      The thing with him in college was his team around him was very good. The players were always superior to their competition, thus receivers would be running open by ten yards, literally. And yes he would still underthrow/overthrow wide open receivers. I can't count how many times I would watch his receivers wait on the ball from him. It would happen every game for three years. The recievers/backs would then turn ten yd throws into sixty yard td's, thus his stats looked good, but if you really watched him he was always hesitant and wasn't very accurate. He also doesn't get it. How many times have we seen him here on 3rd and 10 and check down to the three yard dump-off ? It would work in college due to the superior athletes he was with, not so in the NFL.
                      It was a horrible job of scouting and analysis by whomever was evaluating him in the Bills organization.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                        • Jun 2009

I like A. Washington. He is going to be a good player for us.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                          • Jun 2009

Powell makes this team.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Random thoughts...

Washington's first string was playing against our second and third team defense most of the game, although the Bills did not look as crisp in their execution, as they did the first two games.

Losing Gragg sucks. It probably means they need to keep O'leary.

I think Bush is going to have a role in the offense, he still has some moves and speed.

Officiating has been poor for two games now. They still haven't defined what a catch is.

I was thankful for whomever made Tasker give his microphone to the other guy. His bloviating makes the game look even worse.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
                              It was a horrible job of scouting and analysis by whomever was evaluating him in the Bills organization.
                              yes it was. I said it months before the draft that year, that EJ has the physical tools that make a scout drool and just enough potential to fool a team to take him in round 1.

It was a very very bitter experience to see the bills be the team fooled into taking him in round one.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X