PDA

View Full Version : Vikings QB Bridgewater might be done for the season

Ed
08-30-2016, 02:16 PM
I just saw a couple tweets that said he went down at practice with a non-contact injury. It apparently looked serious and all the players were down on one knee praying. They canceled the remainder of practice. Pure speculation on my part, but that sounds like a season-ending knee injury. Their season might already be over. Their only other qb's are 36 year old Shaun Hill and an undrafted rookie named Joel Stave. Yikes.

justasportsfan
08-30-2016, 02:17 PM
I hope he's ok.

maybe they want EJ?

Ed
08-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Doesn't sound like he'll be ok. Being described as serious.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17424174/teddy-bridgewater-seriously-injured-minnesota-vikings-practice

Albany,n.y.
08-30-2016, 02:23 PM
Shaun Hill has performed well when pressed into action.

Turf
08-30-2016, 02:39 PM
With all this **** going on, I don't understand why they don't wear knee braces.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-30-2016, 02:40 PM
ACL.

In other news, Buffalo Bills coach Rex Ryan orders starting QB Tyrod Taylor in wheel chairs for all workouts and practices until the season opener.

THATHURMANATOR
08-30-2016, 02:53 PM
I hope he's ok.

maybe they want EJ?
Why are we trying to get rid of EJ.

If Tyrod goes down you want Jones starting?

Dr. Lecter
08-30-2016, 02:53 PM
An ambulance took him to the hospital and he was getting trauma treatment.

This isn't an ACL

Skooby
08-30-2016, 03:06 PM

This isn't an ACL

My God, what the Heck happened ?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-30-2016, 03:18 PM

This isn't an ACL

From a non-contact injury? Did the dude have a heart attack?

stuckincincy
08-30-2016, 03:29 PM
From a non-contact injury? Did the dude have a heart attack?

Maybe a clot?

IlluminatusUIUC
08-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Maybe a clot?

That's possible. Isn't that what happened to Drew Bledsoe in New England? His was triggered by a hit, but it wouldn't surprise me if a previous hit triggered something. I hope he's ok, that would be a horrible way to end a season.

Skooby
08-30-2016, 03:48 PM
It's a compound Fracture, I have no idea how that happened on a non-contact injury. Holy crap, talk about bad luck (Not that Luck).

Topas
08-30-2016, 04:41 PM
Serious knee injury

http://m.startribune.com/teddy-bridgewater-suffers-significant-knee-injury-at-vikings-practice/391791451/

AnD great quite by a good coach:

When asked about moving forward with a pall cast over his team, Zimmer said, “My wife passed away seven years ago. It was a bad day and the sun came up the next day.
“We’re not going to stick our heads in the sand. We’re going to find a way.”

ckg927
08-30-2016, 04:44 PM
It's a compound Fracture, I have no idea how that happened on a non-contact injury. Holy crap, talk about bad luck (Not that Luck).

The Vikes head coach just said it was a significant knee injury. Bridgewater is getting an MRI done as this message is being typed, and the team will know more about it no earlier than tonight.

Victor7
08-30-2016, 04:51 PM
For the life of me I can't understand why so many of these world class athletes get hurt by themselves. When they get hit its one thing. But you often hear of the non contact injuries. These guys are absolute beasts and the top of the pyramid in athleticism and strength. Why ?

YardRat
08-30-2016, 04:58 PM
For the life of me I can't understand why so many of these world class athletes get hurt by themselves. When they get hit its one thing. But you often hear of the non contact injuries. These guys are absolute beasts and the top of the pyramid in athleticism and strength. Why ?

I would guess they are pushing the stress points of their bodies mechanical structure/capabilities beyond their limits.

Victor7
08-30-2016, 05:00 PM
I would guess they are pushing the stress points of their bodies mechanical structure/capabilities beyond their limits.

On non contact injuries ? They would have to be doing some weird stretching, body bending weird ass moves.

Luisito23
08-30-2016, 05:05 PM

Maybe it's the demanding strain/stress on their bones, muscles and body...Some people are just not meant to take that constant physical punishment.

feldspar
08-30-2016, 05:37 PM
Why are we trying to get rid of EJ.

If Tyrod goes down you want Jones starting?

We aren't trying to get rid of EJ in no way, shape or form.

DraftBoy
08-30-2016, 06:09 PM
That kid who had that horrific injury at Louisville in the Final Four had it happen via non-contact.

swiper
08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
This injury sounds horrible. Hope he is ok. Never like to hear this stuff.

YardRat
08-30-2016, 06:44 PM
On non contact injuries ? They would have to be doing some weird stretching, body bending weird ass moves.

Not necessarily. If working out/training etc already builds muscle/tendon/ligament close to their limit it doesn't take much to push it over.

ckg927
08-30-2016, 07:58 PM
This injury sounds horrible. Hope he is ok. Never like to hear this stuff.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that, per the Vikings' head trainer, Bridgewater has a complete tear of his ACL in the left knee-as well as other structural damage to the same knee.

Mace
08-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Turf, cleats and body mechanics don't always mesh well.

Ingtar33
08-30-2016, 08:21 PM

speaking strictly as someone who's worked in and around football his whole life, noncontact injuries, particularly to the legs are typically a sign steroid use. That or horrible luck + bad field.

not insinuating anything about Bridgewater, just tossing it out there that in general most of these types of injuries occur because of the human body being pushed well beyond it's structural capacity. That structural capacity tends to be "stronger" when built up with weight training and years of hard work. Adding 20lb of muscle due to steroids over a summer, you do nothing to increase the ability of your joints, tendons and ligaments to withstand those new forces.

Mace
08-30-2016, 08:33 PM
speaking strictly as someone who's worked in and around football his whole life, noncontact injuries, particularly to the legs are typically a sign steroid use. That or horrible luck + bad field.

not insinuating anything about Bridgewater, just tossing it out there that in general most of these types of injuries occur because of the human body being pushed well beyond it's structural capacity. That structural capacity tends to be "stronger" when built up with weight training and years of hard work. Adding 20lb of muscle due to steroids over a summer, you do nothing to increase the ability of your joints, tendons and ligaments to withstand those new forces.

Thing is though, they put down new matching turf at their stadium and practice field. Some players called it sticky, soft, mushy, needing to be broken in. They said Bridgewater dropped back, planted his foot and crumpled with his knee flailing all over the place.

On the turf, via the Chargers : http://www.wctrib.com/sports/pro/4104380-chargers-stadium-better-new-turf

stuckincincy
08-30-2016, 08:49 PM

Injuries can, and may well, occur to ligaments, tendons joints, in the general population among folks who get cortisone injections. Those injections are cash cows to podiatrists that treat plantar fasciitis. IIRC, you get the shots and the problems might show up years later.

There was an injury thread here weeks ago, where I posted about the limitations of the body and the over-building of the body as to why we are seeing these camp and preseason injuries. Nothing prescient by me - it's old medical knowledge.

Turf
08-30-2016, 10:40 PM
IMO, the players train to hard. Look at the stupid leaping drills in scouting combines. It's getting to the point where we have body builders, who were not meant to move like this, playing football. I was always amazed how the bills in their 4 glorious years remained relatively injury free. The training regimes for these players are insane.

swiper
08-31-2016, 04:39 AM
The Minneapolis Star-Tribune reports that, per the Vikings' head trainer, Bridgewater has a complete tear of his ACL in the left knee-as well as other structural damage to the same knee.

I guess Chan Gailey was ahead of his time when he had the Bills lineman wearing knee braces during camp and preseason.

DraftBoy
08-31-2016, 05:45 AM
The report is a complete ACL tear, other structural damage within the knee, and his knee cap dislocated. Thankfully no nerve or arterial damage which could of been career threatening.

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2016, 09:06 AM
The silver lining for the Vikes is that this is perfect timing as there are plenty of cuts around the league. They could bring in Mettenburg or Coker or other guys.

Skooby
08-31-2016, 09:38 AM
The silver lining for the Vikes is that this is perfect timing as there are plenty of cuts around the league. They could bring in Mettenburg or Coker or other guys.

Teddy looked real good this preseason, it's a shame.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-31-2016, 10:20 AM
That kid who had that horrific injury at Louisville in the Final Four had it happen via non-contact.

That was in the Elite Eight, the Shockers had a severe injury caused by Karl Hess and his infamous officiating in the Final Four. However, you are right, the Louisville kid suffered a non-contact injury.

Forward_Lateral
08-31-2016, 10:25 AM
The report is a complete ACL tear, other structural damage within the knee, and his knee cap dislocated. Thankfully no nerve or arterial damage which could of been career threatening.

Terrible. Never like to see this happen to anyone. I always liked Teddy, and was pulling for the Vikes in the playoffs last year.

elroy16
08-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Holy shiiit!

Source confirms tibiofemoral dislocation, ruptured ACL for Bridgewater. "Trainers may have saved his leg and career by quick action."

Tibiofemoral dislocation ... basically, Bridgewater's femur (upper leg) went off the tibia (shin, lower leg.) Yeah.

https://twitter.com/injuryexpert/status/770984992084287488

That's insane that it happened without contact. His knee ligaments have to be weak as hell, right?

Mr. Miyagi
08-31-2016, 11:17 AM
Terrible. Never like to see this happen to anyone. I always liked Teddy, and was pulling for the Vikes in the playoffs last year.
Anyone but Tom Brady.

GingerP
08-31-2016, 01:08 PM
That's insane that it happened without contact. His knee ligaments have to be weak as hell, right?

From what I read, he caught his knee on the carpet and that caused the ACL tear. The dislocation came as he crumpled to the ground because the knee was weakened and unstable.

swiper
08-31-2016, 01:10 PM
Teddy looked real good this preseason, it's a shame.

Another miss by the Bills personnel staff.

The last buffalo fan
08-31-2016, 01:22 PM
Anyone but Tom Brady.

:hi5: