PDA

View Full Version : Dareus outpatient rehab....

Mace
09-07-2016, 09:09 PM
Less than three weeks after Marcell Dareus announced that he’d enter a rehabilitation facility (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000688073/article/bills-announce-marcell-dareus-to-enter-rehab-facility) following his four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s policy for substance abuse, the Buffalo Bills star defensive tackle has apparently opted for a different approach during his time away from football.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/9/7/12841634/bills-marcell-dareus-opts-for-different-approach-in-rehabilitation

Whatever is easiest for you Marcell.

Goobylal
09-07-2016, 09:11 PM
No one does rehab for pot, much less inpatient, and inpatient rehab for depression is only for those who are a threat to themselves.

Mace
09-07-2016, 09:14 PM
No one does rehab for pot, much less inpatient, and inpatient rehab for depression is only for those who are a threat to themselves.

Whatever gets him best prepared for those 10 unnannounced drug tests per month until he's cuttable in 2019.

stuckincincy
09-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Hopefully not a clinic in Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Alaska or Wash. DC. :shocked:

ICRockets
09-07-2016, 09:19 PM
http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2016/9/7/12841634/bills-marcell-dareus-opts-for-different-approach-in-rehabilitation

Whatever is easiest for you Marcell.

Yeah, God forbid he see what happens to other people who are away from the Bills for too long (Karlos Williams cut, Seantrel Henderson demoted) and try to account for his livelihood while getting help for his personal issues. What an ******* THAT guy is.

stuckincincy
09-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Yeah, God forbid he see what happens to other people who are away from the Bills for too long (Karlos Williams cut, Seantrel Henderson demoted) and try to account for his livelihood while getting help for his personal issues. What an ******* THAT guy is.

I see. So he's kinda like the youngster at Walmart who has personal issues and worries if he will get his job back.

Mace
09-07-2016, 09:34 PM

He wasn't accounting for his livelihood while getting help for his personal issues previously ? That was 4 games. Next is 10. Remind me if he completes/passes the next 3 years of unnannounced drug tests, or I'll remind you if he doesn't. Crazy stuff, huh ?

TacklingDummy
09-07-2016, 09:42 PM
**** him.
The Bills biggest waste of money ever.

Skooby
09-07-2016, 09:48 PM
What's the odds on him passing all the tests until 2019 ?

Mace
09-07-2016, 09:49 PM
What's the odds on him passing all the tests until 2019 ?

Probably poor, I think you have to fail/miss 4 times to get up to 4 games as it is.

OpIv37
09-07-2016, 10:21 PM
**** him.
The Bills biggest waste of money ever.

Oh please. Yeah he's been selfish off the field but he contributes on it. Bigger wastes of money off the top of my head: Fitz, TO, Maybin, Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, Dockery, Rob Johnson, Losman, Edwards- plenty more but that's enough to show the idiocy of your statement.

Mace
09-07-2016, 10:32 PM
Oh please. Yeah he's been selfish off the field but he contributes on it. Bigger wastes of money off the top of my head: Fitz, TO, Maybin, Erik Flowers, Mike Williams, Dockery, Rob Johnson, Losman, Edwards- plenty more but that's enough to show the idiocy of your statement.

It's sure not certain and I hope it isn't, because I like Dareus and want to see him overcome and thrive. But 4 violations in 5 years with 40 some million guaranteed ahead before 2019, and 10 games next with a ban just after that isn't promising for his total value per dollar.

stuckincincy
09-07-2016, 10:40 PM

Yep. There's scheming afoot...

Skooby
09-07-2016, 11:03 PM
It's sure not certain and I hope it isn't, because I like Dareus and want to see him overcome and thrive. But 4 violations in 5 years with 40 some million guaranteed ahead before 2019, and 10 games next with a ban just after that isn't promising for his total value per dollar.

I would say we look to get jammed on it, since 2019 isn't that close.

Turf
09-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Regardless of the legalities, no NFL athlete in the prime of his career making 40-100 million of dollars will be in his absolute best physical conditioning either smoking weed or drinking. He's owes that to the team and the fans. Pretty disgraceful IMO. Imagine how good he could have been. Now he's a shell of himself.

ICRockets
09-07-2016, 11:53 PM
He wasn't accounting for his livelihood while getting help for his personal issues previously ?

What was he doing previously? The rehab stint is the first I'm hearing about him getting help.

Ginger Vitis
09-08-2016, 05:11 AM
Bigger wastes of money off the top of my head: Edwards-

Trent Edwards? Trent Edwards was paid a 3rd Round rookie contract the whole time he was a Bill he was paid peanuts

ghz in pittsburgh
09-08-2016, 06:41 AM
What do you expect him to be, checking into rehab facility and away from the team? Thought Tim Graham covered NFL for a long time. This is pretty much standard NFL process in this type of case -- getting a baby sitter around you (called "getting treatment") whenever you are NOT in all important team activities like work-out, meetings, etc.

sahlensguy
09-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Whatever gets him best prepared for those 10 unnannounced drug tests per month until he's cuttable in 2019.

That's outrageous. Cruel and unusual punishment is unconstitutional.

feldspar
09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
What's the problem then?

I think this is good news considering the circumstances. He should be an inpatient for weed and miss team meetings, trainers, and workouts? That would be better?

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 08:38 AM

It could be a more serious addiction/depression issue.

It could be that he's just a dude who likes to smoke weed, and the NFL's substance abuse program makes no distinction between weed and, say, heroin, so his only option to get the league off his back is to treat his love for weed like its heroin addiction.

If it's the former, I really hope he gets better. Addiction issues are a ***** and success rates in terms of treatment are very poor. If it's the latter, the NFL's weed policy is a joke, but he's still a dick for breaking the rules and putting his team at risk.

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Trent Edwards? Trent Edwards was paid a 3rd Round rookie contract the whole time he was a Bill he was paid peanuts

He also contributed nothing. He had like 3 good games. Dareus costs a lot more money but he also produced when he plays. Trent never did that, hence he's a bigger waste.

Goobylal
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Regardless of the legalities, no NFL athlete in the prime of his career making 40-100 million of dollars will be in his absolute best physical conditioning either smoking weed or drinking. He's owes that to the team and the fans. Pretty disgraceful IMO. Imagine how good he could have been. Now he's a shell of himself.

Yep, it's all over for him.

Goobylal
09-08-2016, 10:24 AM
It could be a more serious addiction/depression issue.

It could be that he's just a dude who likes to smoke weed, and the NFL's substance abuse program makes no distinction between weed and, say, heroin, so his only option to get the league off his back is to treat his love for weed like its heroin addiction.

If it's the former, I really hope he gets better. Addiction issues are a ***** and success rates in terms of treatment are very poor. If it's the latter, the NFL's weed policy is a joke, but he's still a dick for breaking the rules and putting his team at risk.

Given the inordinate amount of personal losses in his life, I'm sure he smokes pot because of them/depression. Hopefully "rehab" gets him off pot and on meds.

ParanoidAndroid
09-08-2016, 04:49 PM
As a rehab professional, I can tell you this is pretty standard but if you must ***** about something, please, proceed.

TacklingDummy
09-08-2016, 06:31 PM

I guess you missed the Bills last 24 games.

He's the biggest waste because he got more than all the players you mentioned combined, plus he hasn't done **** in the Bills past 24 games.

Goobylal
09-08-2016, 06:34 PM

He's the biggest waste because he got more than all the players you mentioned combined.

Yeah, he was horrible in 2014. As in 1st team All-Pro horrible.

TacklingDummy
09-08-2016, 06:36 PM
Yeah, he was horrible in 2014. As in 1st team All-Pro horrible.

First half of the year he played great, after week 9 he hasn't done anything since.

Goobylal
09-08-2016, 06:49 PM
First half of the year he played great, after week 9 he hasn't done anything since.

How do you define "hasn't done anything"?

Frenchman
09-08-2016, 07:02 PM
Yeah as he needs to know he represents the team and fans of Buffalo. Like it or not.

Mace
09-08-2016, 07:22 PM
What was he doing previously? The rehab stint is the first I'm hearing about him getting help.

For one, the felony level synth pot bust in 2014 should have been a wakeup call. He went through a 30 day pre-trial intervention program to get that dismissed. Nah, he drag raced into a tree near a busy intersection. Wakeup call.

Dareus speaks about going to a psychiatrist and psychologist here, in June :

“I feel like everyone should see a psychiatrist and psychologist just to make sure their mental state is OK,” Dareus said. “Because of the position I’m in and how hard I worked, being in the position that it brings, I feel like everyone should have one to help them manage it all and give them techniques — focus techniques — and meditating techniques to just help deal with that mental state on the day to day.”

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/09/yet-another-death-bills-dt-marcell-dareus-finds-ways-cope/

And so, even after that he was the one that said he was checking into rehab, then decided not to.

You can realistically say, accounting for his livelihood should have started when he signed his first pro contract.

Goobylal
09-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Yeah as he needs to know he represents the team and fans of Buffalo. Like it or not.

No he doesn't. He represents himself and himself alone.

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 08:29 PM

He's the biggest waste because he got more than all the players you mentioned combined, plus he hasn't done **** in the Bills past 24 games.

Uh no. His contract may have a sticker value more than all those guys combined but we all know that no one ever actually sees that much money.

And he hasn't "done nothing" as you claim. He's a DT. His job is to eat space and collapse the pocket. He's not going to put up gaudy sack and tackle numbers cuz that's not his role. He plays his role quite well.

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 08:49 PM
Uh no. His contract may have a sticker value more than all those guys combined but we all know that no one ever actually sees that much money.

And he hasn't "done nothing" as you claim. He's a DT. His job is to eat space and collapse the pocket. He's not going to put up gaudy sack and tackle numbers cuz that's not his role. He plays his role quite well.

Last season, in 15 games, he had 38 solo tackles, 13 assists, and 2 sacks. Those are decent numbers.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 08:53 PM
After everything Marcell Dareus has been through in his life, he deserves the right to smoke weed.

People smoke pot to get high and happy. I don't blame him for one second. If anything, smoking weed shows that Marcell Dareus is super smart.

Smoking the deadly fake weed, aka "Spice" was a very bad decision. That **** can severely **** one up, and has proven to kill people.

Many people drown their sorrows in a much more physically detrimental way by drinking alcohol, or popping painkiller Hillbilly heroin pills.

America is a society that thinks and says drinking alcohol to excessive levels is okay, but smoking pot is not okay because it isn't advertised in an NFL stadium.

Marcell Dareus smoked weed.

So ****ing what, I would too if I had to suffer the loss of so many loved one's.

That's a hell of a lot better than taking the depression meds that the NFL has such a close advertising relationship with.

Smoking weed in the NFL interferes with advertising revenue.

Big pharma hates the thought of treating depression with marijuana.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/06/09/yet-another-death-bills-dt-marcell-dareus-finds-ways-cope/

Last year, he detailed each harrowing death to The News (http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/06/bills-dareus-keeps-playing-through-lifes-losses/) — his father, his grandmother, his grandfather, his mother, his mentor, his brother, close friends. On May 23, the list grew even longer with Dareus losing Jeremy Bennett, a close friend from high school. This one stung because of its timing. When Dareus trucked home to Alabama for the off-season, fresh off that $108 million contract, everyone started emerging from the woodworks.
So-called friends. So-called family.
It can be difficult to figure out who’s who, who he can trust. Well, Dareus knew he could trust Bennett. Now, he’s gone.
------------

It's remarkable that Marcell Dareus has the will to play football.

If I had to suffer the same tragic loss over and over and over again like he has, I would be dead.

Lift Marcell up, and support him like you would wish to be supported.

Ginger Vitis
09-08-2016, 09:01 PM
He's not going to put up gaudy sack and tackle numbers cuz that's not his role. He plays his role quite well.

Before Rex came to Buffalo his role was to sack the QB.... IN 2013 and 2014 the 2 seasons combined Dareus had 17.5 sacks more than any other DT in the NFL for those 2 seasons

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 09:14 PM
No he doesn't. He represents himself and himself alone.

If you owned a company, would you hire an employee with such a self-important attitude as that?

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Before Rex came to Buffalo his role was to sack the QB.... IN 2013 and 2014 the 2 seasons combined Dareus had 17.5 sacks more than any other DT in the NFL for those 2 seasons

From the 3-4, to the 4-3 and back to the 3-4, he's a good nose tackle but he's a hell of a lot better as a pass rusher.

Marcell Dareus is a defensive end.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:21 PM
If you owned a company, would you hire an employee with such a self-important attitude as that?

Absolutely, in a heart beat. He puts himself numero uno. Nobody can take care of, or work with other people unless they know how to take care of themselves first.

Mace
09-08-2016, 09:23 PM
Btw, he wasn't suspended 4 games for weed he says, he missed a test in the stage 2 program agreed to by CBA. That could mean pretty much anything. But as it stands, he violated his program from previous offenses.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:32 PM
Btw, he wasn't suspended 4 games for weed he says, he missed a test in the stage 2 program agreed to by CBA. That could mean pretty much anything. But as it stands, he violated his program from previous offenses.

If anyone needs to be given a break, it's Marcell Dareus.

Mace
09-08-2016, 09:38 PM
If anyone needs to be given a break, it's Marcell Dareus.

I don't think letting him make up his own rules as he goes along is helping him any.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I don't think letting him make up his own rules as he goes along is helping him any.

When "rules" are unjust and uncalled for, people tend to make up their own rules.

Dareus has taken the natural route, as most people often do.

TacklingDummy
09-08-2016, 09:50 PM
Last season, in 15 games, he had 38 solo tackles, 13 assists, and 2 sacks. Those are decent numbers.

/sarcasm off

Well worth $108 million.

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Absolutely, in a heart beat. He puts himself numero uno. Nobody can take care of, or work with other people unless they know how to take care of themselves first.

And if numero uno's actions and mouth cause your company to get a bad rep - because numero uno feels he's God's gift - he's just expressing himself and that's just ok with you? If numero uno embezzles, is he just taking care of himself?

Drop the straw man psychobabble stuff. There is every expectation that an employee get along with others, doesn't damage one's employer, gets along with others.

You are trying to draw out basic parenting, or what used to be the basics of raising children into the realm of adulthood.

Get all the self-realization and the feeling for your inner you that you need on your own time.

Mace
09-08-2016, 09:56 PM
When "rules" are unjust and uncalled for, people tend to make up their own rules.

Dareus has taken the natural route, as most people often do.

Nah. He's been through an intervention program to save him from a felony, got off with a fine for drag racing his jag into a tree, says he sees a psychologist and psychiatrist to help him, and now is in outpatient rehab after saying he was going to do inpatient. He's got 40 some million guaranteed franchise cap money ahead, and 3 years before he's cuttable.

At the least he's a troubled young man, at the worst he's a troubled young man who can't help himself. As people have said, it's obviously more than a weed problem. The last thing he needs is the ability to do what he wants.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Rub some salt in to his wounds while you're at it, Mace.

The scorn is not warranted. It's not like he beat the crap out of his pregnant wife.

Mace
09-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Rub some salt in to his wounds while you're at it, Mace.

The scorn is not warranted. It's not like he beat the crap out of his pregnant wife.

If I had as much money as he has, Imp, I'd hire me a few hot personal assistants to keep me unscorned until my career was over. Then with that much more money, I'd hire a fresh few to cover me while I did whatever I wanted.

But he broke the rules. We all pay when we break the rules and get caught don't we ? Solution is to follow the rules.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Easier said than done.

Mace
09-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Easier said than done.

Be that as it may, it is nearly Friday, can you not focus in and begin your weekly game prediction thread so I can be overly optimistic for the opener ?

sahlensguy
09-08-2016, 10:44 PM
If I had as much money as he has, Imp, I'd hire me a few hot personal assistants to keep me unscorned until my career was over.

Maybe he just doesn't like football that much. Bashing your head in must get old pretty quick.

Mace
09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Maybe he just doesn't like football that much. Bashing your head in must get old pretty quick.

Nah, I've been doing it for decades in new creative ways.

stuckincincy
09-09-2016, 12:12 AM

I said just that about RB Karlos Williams (twice) as a possible reason why he left NFL football. But it was pearls before swine, as the saying goes, as it turned out.

ICRockets
09-09-2016, 01:20 AM
Nah. He's been through an intervention program to save him from a felony, got off with a fine for drag racing his jag into a tree, says he sees a psychologist and psychiatrist to help him, and now is in outpatient rehab after saying he was going to do inpatient. He's got 40 some million guaranteed franchise cap money ahead, and 3 years before he's cuttable.

At the least he's a troubled young man, at the worst he's a troubled young man who can't help himself. As people have said, it's obviously more than a weed problem. The last thing he needs is the ability to do what he wants.

When did he say he was going to do inpatient? You can "enter" rehab without doing inpatient rehab.

stuckincincy
09-09-2016, 02:01 AM
When did he say he was going to do inpatient? You can "enter" rehab without doing inpatient rehab.

Huh?

Sane folks don't scour the airwaves or the internet to garner the latest utterances from him.

Why are you being an apologist for a multi-millionaire who has a problem acting like a responsible adult?

He has pockets full of huge $. An NFL support system that licks his precious fanny. The means to personally pay for help with his supposed demons

Seesh....

TacklingDummy
09-09-2016, 04:45 AM
Easier said than done.
$108 million reasons to follow the rules. If that's not enough reason to follow the rules than I don't feel sorry for you one bit,

Skooby
09-09-2016, 06:34 AM
Dareus won't make 2019 without another problem, I'm just hoping we can get some type of value out of him before he does it again. Either on the field or by trade, something.

sukie
09-09-2016, 07:38 AM
$108 million reasons to follow the rules. If that's not enough reason to follow the rules than I don't feel sorry for you one bit,

never had an obsessive addiction I gather.

Mace
09-09-2016, 01:37 PM

Stop being lazy. Look it up yourself. He made a public statement to the press. Real easy to find, just like the other stuff I looked up for you.

TacklingDummy
09-09-2016, 03:11 PM
never had an obsessive addiction I gather. I thought marijuana wasn't addictive?

Or is making bad choices an addiction?

G
09-09-2016, 03:23 PM
I thought marijuana wasn't addictive?

Or is making bad choices an addiction?

nfl players abide by the same laws of human nature as anyone else. they’re people with their own sets of flaws, weaknesses, whatever. we see them as commodities not people because we consume the nfl brand and want to see our teams win in a hyper competitive setting. but i think if most people dealt with a friend, family member, or coworker dealing with similar probems, they’d be more receptive to them getting help.

ICRockets
09-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Stop being lazy. Look it up yourself. He made a public statement to the press. Real easy to find, just like the other stuff I looked up for you.

You make the assertion, you prove it. If following standard message board protocol is too difficult for you, perhaps you should try shutting the **** up.

sahlensguy
09-09-2016, 04:39 PM
It's turning into the range...

sahlensguy
09-09-2016, 04:47 PM
*Breaking news* We're still undefeated!!!

Mace
09-09-2016, 10:16 PM
You make the assertion, you prove it. If following standard message board protocol is too difficult for you, perhaps you should try shutting the **** up.

Ok then.

“After careful consideration of recent events within my life, I have made the decision to enter a rehabilitation facility,” Dareus said in a statement released by the team. “I feel this is the best decision for me, my family and my teammates as I move forward with my career.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/20/dareus-leaves-bills-intends-to-enter-rehab-facility/

Now, since I've given you links to his previous and ongoing treatment and his statement, and explained the process that got him there, and accordingly proved you asserted a point in oblivious ignorance....where most people will at least have the vaguest facts about what they're talking about when they assert a point.....

no, I will not give you a link to explain the words, no I will not give you a link to buy a clue, no I will not give you a link on where to read news, or a link on how to find links.

So now take your own advice and shut the **** up.

BillsImpossible
09-09-2016, 10:34 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3781236/Drug-company-makes-powerful-painkiller-fentanyl-gives-500-000-campaign-marijuana-illegal-Arizona.html

A drug company which produces a painkiller 50 times more potent than heroin has donated $500,000 to the campaign to keep marijuana illegal in Arizona.
Insys Therapeutics - whose sole product is the powerful painkiller fentanyl - gave the money to 'Arizonans for Responsible Drug Policy'.

Their donation was nearly four times more than the second largest of $110,000.

Pro-legalization campaigners have claimed drug companies want to keep cannabis illegal to corner the market for drugs that relieve pain and other symptoms.

Mace
09-09-2016, 10:39 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3781236/Drug-company-makes-powerful-painkiller-fentanyl-gives-500-000-campaign-marijuana-illegal-Arizona.html

A drug company which produces a painkiller 50 times more potent than heroin has donated $500,000 to the campaign to keep marijuana illegal in Arizona.
Insys Therapeutics - whose sole product is the powerful painkiller fentanyl - gave the money to 'Arizonans for Responsible Drug Policy'.

Their donation was nearly four times more than the second largest of $110,000.

Pro-legalization campaigners have claimed drug companies want to keep cannabis illegal to corner the market for drugs that relieve pain and other symptoms.

It's not about pot though, Imp.

ICRockets
09-09-2016, 10:42 PM
Yeah, Imp, it's about Mace getting to ***** as much as he wants!

Mace
09-09-2016, 10:48 PM

Or it's about IC posting whatever he wants without knowing what he's posting about. Come on man. At least when I don't have any idea I look things up to find out. We go back to the range, I'm sorry if you've just been overly busy or something and genuinely didn't know the answers to the questions, but google is pretty easy to find and some people just won't use it.

BillsImpossible
09-09-2016, 10:49 PM
No, it's about people being able to live free without douchebagerish government constantly telling them how and what to think, see, and feel.

Never mind the inherent contradiction and hypocrisy when it comes to having a Jack and Coke, or a Coke and Jack.

Alcohol is okay, but smoking MJ is not because why?

Because people in high places of government say so.

**** them.

BillsImpossible
09-09-2016, 10:51 PM

We are all so guilty.

Mace
09-09-2016, 10:51 PM
No, it's about people being able to live free without douchebagerish government constantly telling them how and what to think, see, and feel.

Never mind the inherent contradiction and hypocrisy when it comes to having a Jack and Coke, or a Coke and Jack.

Alcohol is okay, but smoking MJ is not because why?

Because people in high places of government say so.

**** them.

You have rules where you work, you follow them to keep working. If you have issues you pursue help, to follow the rules, to keep working. That's not the mark of an oppressive society, it's the mark of a society that has rules to govern things.

BillsImpossible
09-09-2016, 10:55 PM
I don't need a ruler to measure my ying or my wang.

Mace
09-09-2016, 10:57 PM
I don't need a ruler to measure my ying or my wang.

Bet you do and you have Mr. Smartypants. Bet you measured the size of those too to get clothes.