PDA

View Full Version : IMO- NFL players will become independent contractors

Skooby
09-08-2016, 05:43 AM
IMO- There's going to be a war coming up in the next round of the CBA and I think the league caps player compensation. They have had it way too good up until now, so things will look to change. Look at Dareus and his ability to get paid until 2019 without any recourse for behavior, that dream is going to go the way of the dodo bird.

The NFL will look to do a independent contractor type deal, which limits liability for future injuries / head trauma. They will compensate players like the current draft pay system but instead league years will equal more pay. There will major bonuses for making the playoffs / winning a Super Bowl as an incentive to perform, arguing better results deserve more pay. It's not like any of these guys will ever make this kind of money outside of football, so they'll need to accept what they can.

Contracts will only be guaranteed for one year and teams will still maintain the rights to the players they draft or obtain. League rosters will hold at least 70 players so about another 500 more college guys make a roster. Performance and results are the main goal. It's all about liability and performance, so when this extreme system benefits the many directly versus the few who make the massive scores, it will be voted on by the masses. They will dangle permanent healthcare benefits for player and immediate family plus pensions of a certain amount to assure players don't spend all their money foolishly.

This is just my opinion and after seeing how this type of compensation system really helped straighten-out the draft process, it has merit.

casdhf
09-08-2016, 05:55 AM
cool story bro

ICRockets
09-08-2016, 06:00 AM
cool story bro

Please don't encourage him.

DraftBoy
09-08-2016, 06:28 AM
No, they won't.

Skooby
09-08-2016, 06:28 AM
cool story bro

Thanks. It's a negotiating tactic that is logical to employ by the league.

Skooby
09-08-2016, 06:30 AM
No, they won't.
Salary control will put the fear of God into the players.

DraftBoy
09-08-2016, 06:46 AM
Salary control will put the fear of God into the players.

No, it won't.

Joe Fo Sho
09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
You think the NFLPA is going to agree to a new CBA that makes it worse for the players?

You live in a tree.

Night Train
09-08-2016, 07:39 AM
You think the NFLPA is going to agree to a new CBA that makes it worse for the players?

You live in a tree.

It's his plan to get Fitz back here.

Joe Fo Sho
09-08-2016, 07:43 AM
It's his plan to get Fitz back here.

Maybe if Fitz comes back our market will have enough viewers for Goodell to let us into the playoffs.

Skooby
09-08-2016, 08:19 AM

You live in a tree.

If you recall, salaries were running wild for NFL draft picks and the majority of the players agreed to basically cap what the incoming guys make because it cost them all money. If they add 18-20 more guys and everybody is earning ~$2.0 Million a year versus ~$860,000 (true average NFL salary), the majority of players will want to take that deal plus escalators.

They can also set up pensions for the players that pay them more as they get more time in the league, paid directly by the league. What you do is scale out time for the amount of pension, like $100,000 a year for the rest of your life for 1-3 years, $150,000 for 4-6 years, $200,000 for 7-10 years, $250,000 for 10 + years. Average NFL career is ~3.4 years so most will make $150,000 a year for life.

Don't forget free healthcare to all players and immediate famly for life as well. In the long run, this will assure the players the best ongoing lifestyle, one which provides them some assurances of being taken care of. If the players ask their family or friends, this practical approach improves the lives of many more athletes versus ones with incredible success, who will still get to capture all their sponsorship monies.

http://moneynation.com/how-much-money-do-nfl-players-make/

P.S. I live on an estate full of trees 100' high near the beach in Naples FL, so I'm more in the clouds.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I love the idea that the NFL players "have had it too good." Their deal is a distant 3rd behind baseball and basketball as far as being player friendly and only passed hockey because of the brutal lockouts.

You want to ***** about Dareus getting paid? Ken Griffey Jr left Cincy 8 years ago, retired from Baseball 6 years ago, entered the Hall of Fame already, and he's still getting paid by the Reds. They'll be paying him for at least another 5+ years!

Skooby
09-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Maybe if Fitz comes back our market will have enough viewers for Goodell to let us into the playoffs.

Longest active streak and haven't touched the playoffs this millennium, your laughing at yourself versus the reality that the Bills aren't as good for business as a Canadian team would have been for the NFL. The league has tried to move us to Canada, I know that's painful but it's true. Pegula nixed that idea.

London games
Canada games
Mexico games
China game (2018)
Germany game (supposedly)

So does the NFL want to expand its viewership around the world ??

Joe Fo Sho
09-08-2016, 08:39 AM
Longest active streak and haven't touched the playoffs this millennium, your laughing at yourself versus the reality that the Bills aren't good for business. The league has tried to move us to Canada, I know that's painful but it's true, Pegula nixed that idea.

You're using the fact that the Bills aren't good for the NFL's bottom line to try and prove that the NFL has been trying to keep the Bills down for the last 20 years. It proves nothing and you sound paranoid.

The Bills have been bad for the last 20 years because they've been bad for 20 years. They haven't needed any outside forces to keep them down.

feldspar
09-08-2016, 08:44 AM
so I'm more in the clouds.

First thing you've said that makes sense.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Also, since I really like throwing cold water on dumb threads, what would happen if all the players were independent contractors:

The draft would be illegal
Players could cancel their contracts at any time and walk to another team
The salary cap would be illegal
Teams would have to individually negotiate practice time with each player
Players could skip college entirely and come straight to the NFL

coastal
09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
How about the NFL is a sh1t product...

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 09:10 AM
WR Independent contractor A sees that with great effort and possible injury (to his body and earning power), he can throw a block for WR Independent contractor B, making his contractual competitor look good.

What a plan.

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 09:17 AM
IMO- There's going to be a war coming up in the next round of the CBA and I think the league caps player compensation. They have had it way too good up until now, so things will look to change. Look at Dareus and his ability to get paid until 2019 without any recourse for behavior, that dream is going to go the way of the dodo bird.

The NFL will look to do a independent contractor type deal, which limits liability for future injuries / head trauma. They will compensate players like the current draft pay system but instead league years will equal more pay. There will major bonuses for making the playoffs / winning a Super Bowl as an incentive to perform, arguing better results deserve more pay. It's not like any of these guys will ever make this kind of money outside of football, so they'll need to accept what they can.

Contracts will only be guaranteed for one year and teams will still maintain the rights to the players they draft or obtain. League rosters will hold at least 70 players so about another 500 more college guys make a roster. Performance and results are the main goal. It's all about liability and performance, so when this extreme system benefits the many directly versus the few who make the massive scores, it will be voted on by the masses. They will dangle permanent healthcare benefits for player and immediate family plus pensions of a certain amount to assure players don't spend all their money foolishly.

This is just my opinion and after seeing how this type of compensation system really helped straighten-out the draft process, it has merit.

You think teams would want to renegotiate with every player every year? What a nightmare.

Forward_Lateral
09-08-2016, 09:42 AM
lol the league will fold before this ever happens.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2016, 01:01 PM
I love the idea that the NFL players "have had it too good." Their deal is a distant 3rd behind baseball and basketball as far as being player friendly and only passed hockey because of the brutal lockouts.

You want to ***** about Dareus getting paid? Ken Griffey Jr left Cincy 8 years ago, retired from Baseball 6 years ago, entered the Hall of Fame already, and he's still getting paid by the Reds. They'll be paying him for at least another 5+ years!

Bobby Bonilla is a better example.

The Mets are paying him 1.19M a year until 2035.

He hasn't played for them since 1999 and has been out of baseball in general since 2001.

Skooby
09-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Bobby Bonilla is a better example.

The Mets are paying him 1.19M a year until 2035.

He hasn't played for them since 1999 and has been out of baseball in general since 2001.

$100,000 a month ~ forever is like a publishing clearinghouse winner !!