PDA

View Full Version : Goose packs it in

ckg927
09-08-2016, 04:24 PM
Paul Gaustad announced his retirement today from the NHL after 14 seasons. He gave a shoutout to both Rochester and Buffalo in the statement.

As Rick Jeanneret put it, "If you're out and about, give a honk for the Goose!"

swiper
09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
He sucked from start to finish. How anyone can make a career out being marginally good at face-offs, I'll never know.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Paul. Maybe you can call Stafford to be your golf partner, because he's on his way out too.

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 12:32 PM
I always liked Goose. I was at the game in DC where he took out Ovechkin after the cheap shot to Briere.

Unfortunately his legacy is tainted for not doing the same thing to Lucic after the cheap shot on Miller.

Night Train
09-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Best of luck to him. He ALWAYS hustled and that's all you can ask.

JATMtheJATM
09-10-2016, 12:05 AM
He was good defensively too. He wasnt bad in his own end at all.

OpIv37
09-10-2016, 07:53 AM
He sucked from start to finish. How anyone can make a career out being marginally good at face-offs, I'll never know.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out Paul. Maybe you can call Stafford to be your golf partner, because he's on his way out too.
I don't understand sentiments like this. Gaustad was a third liner. A grit/energy guy and the closest thing to an enforcer that exists in the modern NHL. He played that role well. He was never meant to be a top 6 30 goal guy.

Stafford, on the other hand, was meant to be a top 6 forward but couldn't consistently produce like one. He was extremely streaky and was somewhat reliable in contract years.

JATMtheJATM
09-10-2016, 10:27 AM
I don't understand sentiments like this. Gaustad was a third liner. A grit/energy guy and the closest thing to an enforcer that exists in the modern NHL. He played that role well. He was never meant to be a top 6 30 goal guy.

Stafford, on the other hand, was meant to be a top 6 forward but couldn't consistently produce like one. He was extremely streaky and was somewhat reliable in contract years.

One thing I recall about Stafford was how we always bemoaned him for missing open nets. But that was his specialty. Not missing, but being in the right positioning to get those opportunities. He had elite positioning. He just always was in the right spot. Should have done more with it