PDA

View Full Version : Bills make the playoffs....

HHURRICANE
09-08-2016, 04:37 PM
The offense will put up points with Taylor if he can stay healthy. No Brady for four games. I like our offensive line. I think the Bills will give up points but not big plays. I think our offense can cover the points that the D gives up.

11-5 Division winners.

trapezeus
09-08-2016, 04:42 PM
as always, I like to see how they look through the first 4 games and what kind of momentum they have after game 4. if they beat the bradyless pats and have a winning record and look charged, then I like your11-5. but I worry that they spin their wheels and rex's lack of in game awareness kills any positivity that the team has. I still think without seeing the first 4 games that they are a 3-6 win team.

justasportsfan
09-08-2016, 04:48 PM
O and D has to be top 10 at least.

trapezeus
09-08-2016, 04:55 PM
last year didn't we sweep jets and dolphins? we would have to do that again and get one vs the pats. that puts us in the driver's seat for the division and puts the 9-7 and 10-6 as acceptable to get in. if we are going for a wildcard, we are going to have to be 11-5 given the strength of the AFC and other wildcard teams fighting to get in.

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 06:20 PM
No way this team wins 11 games. Even if they do, 11-5 won't beat the Patriots for the div title.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:06 PM
Roman's offense was good last year, despite a lot of injuries.

I expect this year to be twice as good as last year on offense.

The defense was surprisingly bad last year. Mario Williams didn't buy in to Rex's system and took the year off.

The only thing I cared about during the Bills preseason games was how the defense looked.

The Bills defense looks like they know what they're doing in 2016, opposed to looking like a confused bunch in '15.

If the Bills offense becomes explosive, and the defense has finally learned the Ryan-D, I agree that the Bills can finish 11-5 and win the AFC East.

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 09:11 PM
Roman's offense was good last year, despite a lot of injuries.

I expect this year to be twice as good as last year on offense.

The defense was surprisingly bad last year. Mario Williams didn't buy in to Rex's system and took the year off.

The only thing I cared about during the Bills preseason games was how the defense looked.

The Bills defense looks like they know what they're doing in 2016, opposed to looking like a confused bunch in '15.

If the Bills offense becomes explosive, and the defense has finally learned the Ryan-D, I agree that the Bills can finish 11-5 and win the AFC East.

We have a lot of injuries every year. Why do people think this year will magically be different?

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:26 PM
We have a lot of injuries every year. Why do people think this year will magically be different?

A combination of the Law of Averages, Lady Luck and this Sweet Twenty '16.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2016, 09:30 PM
11-5 might beat the Pats to be honest this year or at least tie them.

Problem is there isn't 11 wins on this teams schedule.

Saying there are 8 wins on the schedule is a stretch.

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 09:31 PM

Recently.

BUF had a pretty good run compared to other clubs a while back. Whining about injuries is useless - all clubs struggle through them.

The bigger question is how other clubs have managed to build depth to weather the problems, and they haven't.

For 16 years, it's been like watching an expansion club in it's first season. Sad...

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 09:32 PM
A combination of the Law of Averages, Lady Luck and this Sweet Twenty '16.

Luck has been the enemy of Buffalo sports ever since the comeback game. That was 5 generations of luck used up in one afternoon.

BillsImpossible
09-08-2016, 09:39 PM
Luck has been the enemy of Buffalo sports ever since the comeback game. That was 5 generations of luck used up in one afternoon.

The Homerun Throwback in the Music City evened it out, for an average of 8-8 over the past 16 years.

There's something about '17.

stuckincincy
09-08-2016, 09:55 PM

So - 16 years of bad luck is the reason? You have often voiced your rejection of a higher power, and now this?

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 10:13 PM
So - 16 years of bad luck is the reason? You have often voiced your rejection of a higher power, and now this?

My point is that luck has worked against us far more than its worked for us. He cited luck as a reason we will be injury free, but there is nothing to back that up

Mr. Pink
09-08-2016, 10:20 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with luck.

It's poor drafting, winning meaningless week 17 football games, poor coaching, a lack of talent and a front office who's all about the flashy pickup to keep selling their garbage product to a fanbase that thinks we're always just one player away.

Do you really think the same teams are good year in and year out, just because of luck? The Pats, the Broncos, the Steelers are all just lucky?

Forward_Lateral
09-09-2016, 07:48 AM
No way this team wins 11 games. Even if they do, 11-5 won't beat the Patriots for the div title.

Dude. New England isn't winning 12 games. Look at their schedule. No chance they only lose 4.

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Dude. New England isn't winning 12 games. Look at their schedule. No chance they only lose 4.

Yeah, I've been hearing about NE's impending demise for at least 12 seasons. I'll believe it when I see it. They'll get at least 11, probably more.

trapezeus
09-09-2016, 08:01 AM
bills offense wasn't that great last year. they survived off the big play, but had the typical issues of a buffalo team in the drought. long stretches of being unable to move the ball forward with any consistency. until the bills can grind clock and pick up momentum late in games, they are going to be a middle of the pack team. and really frustrating to watch in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

sukie
09-09-2016, 08:17 AM
Can Sammy, Tyrod, and McCoy play at least 12 games all together?

casdhf
09-09-2016, 08:50 AM
That's why they play the games.

Buffalogic
09-09-2016, 09:06 AM
If we get 16 games out of this trio there's no doubt in my mind that we make the playoffs. That's our biggest question really. Can our offensive stars stay healthy all year?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-09-2016, 09:11 AM
More than ever, this Bills team depends on QB play. IF Taylor steps forward from what he did last year, I'll bet we will break through.

History is not on our side though. All of those guys, Losman, Edwards whenever they showed some signs one year, something happened and they tanked next year.

Fitz does not count since he was what he always is -- just the stupidity of Gailey pushed to give him that extension. EJ never gave us much hope in any one year.

The one thing that Taylor has and the others in Buffalo never had is his experience in Baltimore, in a winning program, sitting 4 years behind a quality QB. Hope he winds up different here in Buffalo from all those before him.

trapezeus
09-09-2016, 09:15 AM
like I said, the three should be healthy, but they have to be able to build momentum. our d's have been ok. even last year, it was a big step back from dominant, but it wasn't swiss cheese. they kept us in games, but we didn't really put the finishing touches on. this defense, if it doesn't improve at all, can be good enough if the offense can work clock and just keep the other team off the field and score when they already have the lead.

too many times over the 16 years, the bills have been in games until the late 3rd and 4th and just don't move the ball and keep giving other teams chances. we need an o that stops letting other teams hang in the games. I'm not sure simply being healthy is enough.

like a lot of other posters have said during the offseason, TT will be judged this year by his ability to use the middle of the field. if he gets chemistry with clay and they make the 5-10 yard middle of the field a place the linebackers have to respect and possibly the safeties, McCoy and the WR's are going to have it a lot easier. if they can't work the middle, I don't think they'll have enough consistency to be anything than middle of the pack.

sukie
09-09-2016, 09:18 AM
If we get 16 games out of this trio there's no doubt in my mind that we make the playoffs. That's our biggest question really. Can our offensive stars stay healthy all year?

Really? You believe the D will "get it" as far as Rex's scheme goes? Suddenly? THAT is a big question for me.

G
09-09-2016, 09:21 AM
we need at least five things to break out way. one, rex has to hope his gamble of forcing 11 guys on D to buy into his scheme instead of creating a scheme to fit his personnel pays off and the D bounces back this year. i'm more concerned about this than anything else. two, taylor has to improve in year two as a starter. that means less slow starts and piling up late game production in garbage time. three, need a relatively injury free season but with all the injuries we currently have this is unlikely. four, mccoy and watkins in particular need stay healthy and avoid the week to week nagging injury report. five, they need start hot and take advange of tom brady's suspension.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 09:53 AM
Really? You believe the D will "get it" as far as Rex's scheme goes? Suddenly? THAT is a big question for me.

I'm kind of over the Rex Ryan hate on this board. The guy is considered a defensive genius everywhere except here in Buffalo. It's borderline stupid at this point.

Read the media in Baltimore (this week), NYC or even nationally, and he is regarded highly. Yes Schwartz had a high blitzing D with alot of pass rushers on it. Guess what? I bet I could run a very good passing offense with Brady as my QB.

Rex Ryan's defense is complex and people were stupid to just think we were going to go hybrid with the Schwatrz 4-3.

The players have bought in and are definately more comfortable on both sides of the ball.

G
09-09-2016, 10:30 AM
I'm kind of over the Rex Ryan hate on this board. The guy is considered a defensive genius everywhere except here in Buffalo. It's borderline stupid at this point.

Read the media in Baltimore (this week), NYC or even nationally, and he is regarded highly. Yes Schwartz had a high blitzing D with alot of pass rushers on it. Guess what? I bet I could run a very good passing offense with Brady as my QB.

Rex Ryan's defense is complex and people were stupid to just think we were going to go hybrid with the Schwatrz 4-3.

The players have bought in and are definately more comfortable on both sides of the ball.

i think the pressure on rex is fair. there’s enough talent on this roster to push for a wild card. better coaches than rex would certainly get us over the hump with playmakers like taylor, mccoy, watkins, dareus, k. williams, darby, among others. if doug marrone could get a less talented team to 9-7, there’s no reason why rex, if he is a genius, shouldn’t get us to 10-6 this year. he inherited a good roster and underachieved with it. that’s on him.

Night Train
09-09-2016, 10:31 AM

That's the key.

trapezeus
09-09-2016, 10:59 AM
but hurricane, if he's a genius, why did he do a partial blend? being smart sometimes simply means knowing how to work with what you got. essentially the bills have to overhaul the defense to accommodate what he is comfortable with. it's not just Rex, but the NFL is so fixated on having brilliance and awesome systems, they sometimes fail to get guys who see the forest from the trees and can say, "I see the roster that I have and what will work." and somehow buffalo is the only place where everyone needs three years to prove they don't have it. rex struggled at the end in NYJ and he's struggled thus far. I hope it does come together but that doesn't look likely with the current number of suspensions and injury.

sukie
09-09-2016, 11:48 AM

and you got that from 4 preseason games?

Victor7
09-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Half our wins last year came within the division. Are we really gonna sweep both the fish and jets again ?? I would love it but it sounds far fetched.

Our other wins came vs not so good teams like the Titans (we stole that one), the ****ty Colts, the Romoless Cowboys and the Texans. Color me unimpressed.

Until this team proves they can beat the teams they need to beat (actual contenders) I won't buy into their hype. I'm also not sold on Rex figuring out how to best utilize the defensive players. What he did last year to our D was one of the most disappointing things I've ever witnessed as a Bills fan. And we've seen our share.

Looks like another middle of the pack 7-9 or 8-8 year to me.

swiper
09-09-2016, 12:07 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with luck.

It's poor drafting, winning meaningless week 17 football games, poor coaching, a lack of talent and a front office who's all about the flashy pickup to keep selling their garbage product to a fanbase that thinks we're always just one player away.

Do you really think the same teams are good year in and year out, just because of luck? The Pats, the Broncos, the Steelers are all just lucky?

No. No. No. The Steelers are always a good small market team because the the NFL likes the Rooneys, dammit.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 12:18 PM
but hurricane, if he's a genius, why did he do a partial blend? being smart sometimes simply means knowing how to work with what you got. essentially the bills have to overhaul the defense to accommodate what he is comfortable with. it's not just Rex, but the NFL is so fixated on having brilliance and awesome systems, they sometimes fail to get guys who see the forest from the trees and can say, "I see the roster that I have and what will work." and somehow buffalo is the only place where everyone needs three years to prove they don't have it. rex struggled at the end in NYJ and he's struggled thus far. I hope it does come together but that doesn't look likely with the current number of suspensions and injury.

This is not realistic. No coach is going to come in here and try to do status quo with what they inherited. Maybe if this team was a few wins from a Superbowl and we were bringing in Parcells to get us over the hump but that's not what Ryan walked into here. He inherited an 8-8 team.

Any why would you want to try and live with the old system knowing eventually you were going to have to blow it up anyway. Every new coach comes in and makes changes and that's why first year is always tough.

Last point. Let's say we never fired Schwartz. Do you think his scheme would still be successful with the roster we are fielding this year and all of the injuries? Rex is well known for getting more out of his defenses with less talent.

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 12:23 PM
This is not realistic. No coach is going to come in here and try to do status quo with what they inherited. Maybe if this team was a few wins from a Superbowl and we were bringing in Parcells to get us over the hump but that's not what Ryan walked into here. He inherited an 8-8 team.

Any why would you want to try and live with the old system knowing eventually you were going to have to blow it up anyway. Every new coach comes in and makes changes and that's why first year is always tough.

Last point. Let's say we never fired Schwartz. Do you think his scheme would still be successful with the roster we are fielding this year and all of the injuries? Rex is well known for getting more out of his defenses with less talent.

I think if Schwartz were still here, we would have made some different personnel decisions so he would never be asked to be successful with what we have now. It's not really a fair question.

sukie
09-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Looks like another middle of the pack 7-9 or 8-8 year to me.

With some help... perhaps.

sukie
09-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Do you think his scheme would still be successful with the roster we are fielding this year and all of the injuries? Rex is well known for getting more out of his defenses with less talent.

Rex's system was a complete and massive overhaul... Even for HIS scheme. Rex used to be blitz crazy. I used to love seeing Brady get chased around all day. Blitz blitz and blitz some more. Where did that go?

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 01:00 PM
I think if Schwartz were still here, we would have made some different personnel decisions so he would never be asked to be successful with what we have now. It's not really a fair question.

LOL, so everyone wants Rex to live with Schwartz defense but it's unfair to have Schwartz live with Rex's. That's actually funny.

Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz were both head coaches, at the same time, from 2009-2013.

Here's how their defenses ranked:

2009: Ryan #1 Schwartz #32

2010: Ryan #3 Schwartz #21

2011: Ryan #5 Schwartz #23

2012: Ryan #8 Schwartz #13

2013: Ryan #11 Schwartz #16

trapezeus
09-09-2016, 01:02 PM
rex was supposed to make it better. take a top 4 d and make it number 1. that wouild have required subtle changes, not losing the team by putting in a strange hybrid. now we are essentially revamping the entire personnel. The smarter move would have been to let roman just be HC and revamp the O and keep Schwartz. no proof Schwartz would have accepted that either. also I am not asking the coach to do status quo. I am asking them to work best with what they have. not run their system to highlight what they need next year. keep in mind the bills went 9-7 with kyle orton and a stellar defense. the season tix got to 60k, because we thought the d would hold and TT could be better than orton.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 01:08 PM
LOL, so everyone wants Rex to live with Schwartz defense but it's unfair to have Schwartz live with Rex's. That's actually funny.

Rex Ryan and Jim Schwartz were both head coaches, at the same time, from 2009-2013.

I'll even take it a step further: Ryan's last year in 2014 his D was ranked 6th when Schwartz inherited a top 10 defense from Pettine and his was 4th.

So in 6 years Schwartz had one 10 ten defense that he inherited and Ryan had 5 that he built, and rebuilt. And the one he missed was when he ranked 11th.

Can't even believe that this is an argument.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-09-2016, 01:16 PM
keep in mind the bills went 9-7 with kyle orton and a stellar defense. the season tix got to 60k, because we thought the d would hold and TT could be better than orton.

Not sure many believed TT could be better than Orton LAST YEAR. He's such an unknown.

This year rightfully so many in the media believed the Bills will take a step backwards -- talent, talent, and talent. people see us losing Mario, no contributions from draft picks, 4 games with no Dareus (arguably the most talented guy on this team), having to cut Karlos ... If this would happen to any of our opponents, we, as Bills fans, probably would say that team is going down this year.

Victor7
09-09-2016, 01:16 PM

It sounds unfair for sure. But it was the smart thing to do ..... Why tweak with what's working? But obviously his ego wouldn't let him. He had to put in his stamp. Well that turned our D from elite to laughable. Last year's defensive downfall is the perfect example of fixing what wasn't broken.

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 01:22 PM

Rex took the job knowing he had Schwartz's D that was playing really well. that's a real life scenario. Having Schwartz use Rex's d is a hypothetical that you made up.

And neither Schwartz nor Rex should be a head coach. They're both coordinators. But if you're going to go the comparison route, Schwartz coached the Lions. That dumpster fire of an organization almost makes the Bills seem competent.

feldspar
09-09-2016, 01:29 PM
Schwartz coached the Lions. That dumpster fire of an organization almost makes the Bills seem competent.

The Detroit Lions won a single playoff game since 1957...

One single playoff win in about 59 years.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 02:47 PM
Rex took the job knowing he had Schwartz's D that was playing really well. that's a real life scenario. Having Schwartz use Rex's d is a hypothetical that you made up.

And neither Schwartz nor Rex should be a head coach. They're both coordinators. But if you're going to go the comparison route, Schwartz coached the Lions. That dumpster fire of an organization almost makes the Bills seem competent.

Normally I agree with you on stuff but was Rex supposed to turn the job down knowing he was getting Schwartz's defense?

Plus you completely ignored the fact that Rex shouldn't have to placate anyone if he feels his system is better. Like I said the guy is considered a defensive guru everywhere except on this site.

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 03:08 PM
Normally I agree with you on stuff but was Rex supposed to turn the job down knowing he was getting Schwartz's defense?

Plus you completely ignored the fact that Rex shouldn't have to placate anyone if he feels his system is better. Like I said the guy is considered a defensive guru everywhere except on this site.

Well, he has several options. He can run Schwartz's D because we know it works with the players he had. He can run his own D, but he damn well get it right or else it means fixing something that isn't broken (spoiler: he broke it). And sure, he could have turned the job down.

And the reason people on this site don't see him as a defensive guru is because he took a D that was very good for 3 years and decimated it because he felt his system is better. That's not exactly what a "defensive guru" does.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Well, he has several options. He can run Schwartz's D because we know it works with the players he had. He can run his own D, but he damn well get it right or else it means fixing something that isn't broken (spoiler: he broke it). And sure, he could have turned the job down.

And the reason people on this site don't see him as a defensive guru is because he took a D that was very good for 3 years and decimated it because he felt his system is better. That's not exactly what a "defensive guru" does.

First off, the Bills were ranked 22nd in 2012. So the D wasn't good for 3 years.

Second, Rex has had a top 10 defense 5 out of the last 7 years he's been a head coach so I'm going to say that's fairly impressive.

I think this argument is ridiculous.

Ginger Vitis
09-09-2016, 04:56 PM
he took a D that was very good for 3 years

The Bills defesne in 2012 was below average... ARe you making stuff up to try and fit your narrative

OpIv37
09-09-2016, 05:15 PM
No, I didn't make anything up. It was 2 instead of 3. Not a huge deal.