PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pereira ex NFL head of officials in his book claims that Goodell assulted him

DetDannyWilliams
09-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Former NFL head of officiating Mike Pereira alleges in a new book that the commissioner shoved him during an argument over the now infamous 2001 “Bottlegate” game.

“Goodell persisted, but I refused to give in. What happened next was anything but good. The conversation escalated, and when he was down in front of my office (http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=office), with others present, he was so frustrated and, I’m sure, getting so much heat from Cleveland that he gave me a hard shove into my door to try and continue the argument about McAulay in my office,” Pereira wrote in the book, via Deadspin (http://deadspin.com/roger-goodell-vs-the-refs-1785905053?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow). “Quite frankly, it startled me, and I think it startled him a little because the discussion ended shortly after that.”
The argument apparently started when Goodell started criticizing official Terry McAulay, who stopped the game between the Cleveland Browns and Jacksonville Jaguars with 43 seconds left.

This came on the heels (http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=heels) of Browns fans throwing bottles on the field following a controversial call. Then NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue overrode McAulay’s decision, sending the teams back on to the field.<strike></strike>

At the time of the incident, Goodell was the league’s Chief Operating Officer.<strike></strike>

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/former-nfl-head-of-officiating-alleges-roger-goodell-assaulted-him/ar-AAiFldu?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

OpIv37
09-08-2016, 08:26 PM
I can't blame him. I've wanted to assault NFL officials many, many times.

Mr. Pink
09-08-2016, 10:22 PM
The refs screwed the pooch in that game and went against the NFL rules to literally hand the Jaguars a win.

That doesn't mean Cleveland would have won that game, but they were denied the chance to attempt to do so.

There aren't many games I can think of off the top of my head were the officials legitimately decided the winner but "Bottlegate" is one of them.

However this game was almost 14 years ago now, so what the hell is the point for Pereira to say something now?

Topas
09-09-2016, 01:59 AM
This is an assault in todays time? A shove?
I am not saying this is a good thing, but calling an shove an assault ...

Forward_Lateral
09-09-2016, 07:38 AM
Pereira is a bigger douchenozzle than Godell

trapezeus
09-09-2016, 08:08 AM
sounds like Pereira should have thrown the flag immediately and goodell suspended 5 weeks pay and sent to rehab for anger management.

Victor7
09-09-2016, 10:58 AM
Pereira is a bigger douchenozzle than Godell

This

My god I hate his smug ***** face. Do you guys remember when he was still the head of referees and had a weekly segment on NFL network in which he explained controversial calls ??

It was miserable and pathetic watching him defend the blatant and obvious ineptitude of the refs. It was so fake and so forced that it made me hate him.

And yes that Browns game was a disgrace. **** Mike Pereira.

justasportsfan
09-09-2016, 12:20 PM
should have gotten the crap beaten out of him.

Few plays were as surprising as the Music City Miracle.

"Despite all of the engineers and everybody that sent me diagrams about how it was logistically impossible for that ball to be either parallel or backwards, it was a lateral," Pereira said this week.

Victor7
09-09-2016, 12:48 PM
should have gotten the crap beaten out of him.

Exactly

This is the type of stuff I'm referring too. The way will have his cake and eat it too no matter what.

What a moron.

Mace
09-10-2016, 07:29 PM
Then they should have settled it like men, gone outside and engaged in fisticuffs in the parking lot until someone ran away yelling insults back at the other while other people were holding the winner back from chasing him until they all scattered when they heard the sirens.

stuckincincy
09-10-2016, 11:12 PM
His alleged flare-up is small peanuts compared to the real violence that rages in many NFL stadiums year after year.

Mace
09-10-2016, 11:31 PM
His alleged flare-up is small peanuts compared to the real violence that rages in many NFL stadiums year after year.

Huge peanuts. I've never known an Italian guy to get shoved around by a ginger, or a ginger who'd shove an Italian guy, though gingers would reliably win bets on eating whatever that pickled stuff at the bar was before an Italian guy would.

I see this as tactics if you take it out to the lot. If I'm Goodell I sucker punch Pereira as he's taking off his glasses. If I'm Pereira I sucker punch Goodell in the back of the head as they're walking out the door to the lot, because guys like Goodell always think to stride out first. On the off chance I'm Goodell and Pereira doesn't take off his glasses, I ask what that guy is doing, point behind him and sucker punch him in the kidney. If I'm Pereira and Goodell makes me walk out first, I run like a girl screaming for the road until someone calls the police because he obviously knows he's going to beat me up and I should too.

That's just how it is on the street and whoever wins gets first chance at the peanuts, assuming there are peanuts to be won in a violent brawl between NFL representatives of the oppressive unjust system based on lies and flagrant pursuit of filthy lucre engendered by the mindless mass market addicted legions of TV slaves spurred to outrage by vague injustice based in arbitrary sport.

That's just me though.

Ingtar33
09-11-2016, 10:22 AM
when he was down in front of my office (http://www.target.com/s?searchTerm=office), with others present, he was so frustrated and, I’m sure, getting so much heat from Cleveland that he gave me a hard shove into my door to try and continue the argument about McAulay in my office,”

are you kidding me? What type of whiny little... I mean who could write this without being embarrassed? I've known little children who have thicker skin then this little punk. He got shoved? It sounds like Pereira was being a punk and tried to ditch the argument and Goodell gave him a shove to get his attention.