PDA

View Full Version : I've never seen coaches who trip over their own feet like Rex and Roman

IlluminatusUIUC
09-15-2016, 11:24 PM
They are like crazy funhouse mirror images of each other.

Roman is a guy who is constantly sabotaging himself because he has this crazy need to outsmart the opposing coach. It doesn't seem to faze him that we have crazy speed at all the skill positions including QB, he insists on running slow developing power plays. It's like he thinks he's still in San Francisco with a beastly offensive line and a power back in Frank Gore. Admittedly he wasn't here when they drafted Watkins, but how can you look at his tape and not try to get him the ball in space. Has Watkins run a single slant pattern since he came here? What happened to the Taylor rollouts, the comebacks, and all the other stuff that sensible teams do to get a young QB in rhythm? The fact that he has not one, not two, but THREE plays with EJ and Tyrod on the field is the stuff of madness. He has a million gadgets to try to get wideouts open deep, but once they've gotten deep on a D and loosened it, he has no way to exploit it. Compare to Fitz and Gailey. They got deep on us early and often, so they started running curls and back shoulder throws and such and they were wide open, because the DB had to respect the deep pass.

Meanwhile Rex will keep running the same damn thing over and over and the word is out on how to beat it. He's going to bring everyone down to the line of scrimmage on nearly every play. He thinks this will confuse the OL and cause free rushers, but what actually happens is that no one cares. If they bring pressure, the QB just throws 5 yards down field where there are no linebackers. If they bail out into coverage, the QB just throws 10-15 yards downfield in the soft spot between the safeties and the linebackers (who can't get back to cover it, since they were playing at the line).

I'm sure this team will pick up as the year goes on when we start getting pieces of our defense back, but as I said in the game thread and many times before - Rex has never had an elite defense without a hall of fame talent in the secondary to clean up after him. Darby and Gilmore are ok players, but neither will ever reach that Revis/Reed level that Rex needs. This team is going to play some exciting games, but it's like the boxer that comes out of the corner throwing haymakers. They are either going to get a spectacular knockout or receive one. At least they can be engaging to watch.

Skooby
09-15-2016, 11:27 PM
Roman is dense and refuses to change, even doing things that work aren't enough for this guy.

stuckincincy
09-15-2016, 11:31 PM
See my post about them and their FB and two TE play in the preseason. Football is like a four-act play that has been running for over a hundred years.

It's not hard to figure out. When the rules change...well...change.

Novacane
09-15-2016, 11:32 PM
The slow-developing run plays are maddening

paladin warrior
09-15-2016, 11:36 PM
It all Greg Roman fault .. Failed too many 1st down .. Failed 3 time in roll with 3rd down and 1 yard. Greg Roman should be fire any time

Mace
09-15-2016, 11:43 PM
Roman is dense and refuses to change, even doing things that work aren't enough for this guy.

That works for Ryan too, he mangled a 4th ranked defense, adept at getting to QB's. I'm not defending either of them anymore for anything. Maybe it makes it easier when they all get cleaned out.

IlluminatusUIUC
09-15-2016, 11:46 PM
See my post about them and their FB and two TE play in the preseason. Football is like a four-act play that has been running for over a hundred years.

It's not hard to figure out. When the rules change...well...change.

I don't have a problem with 2 TE/FB type offenses if those guys are in the right roles. It worked in San Francisco because he had Delanie Walker and Vernon Davis, legitimate dual threat TEs, and because his line could maul opposing DL. That gave him a lot of flexibility to get cute, because they could bang out 6-7 yard runs nearly at will.

Mr. Pink
09-15-2016, 11:47 PM
That shotgun two wide play should be completely taken out of the playbook.

It is absolutely worthless.

Turf
09-16-2016, 12:17 AM
I predict Roman will be the fall guy. After next year Rex is fired. Depressing but true.

stuckincincy
09-16-2016, 12:38 AM
I don't have a problem with 2 TE/FB type offenses if those guys are in the right roles. It worked in San Francisco because he had Delanie Walker and Vernon Davis, legitimate dual threat TEs, and because his line could maul opposing DL. That gave him a lot of flexibility to get cute, because they could bang out 6-7 yard runs nearly at will.

I have a problem with it because it flies in the face of the current libertine rules that so favor the passing game. The current Bills OL can't maul anybody so Roman's approach makes no sense, regardless of his past accomplishments with another club.

It's a perfect storm - lousy coaching, lousy FO reaching for "names", lousy player talent.

jamze132
09-16-2016, 12:55 AM
That shotgun two wide play should be completely taken out of the playbook.

It is absolutely worthless.

Exactly. Roman's play calling ****ing blows ****.

DraftBoy
09-16-2016, 06:15 AM
he insists on running slow developing power plays. .

And what happened when he ran the one true speed play of the night on the ground? McCoy shot through the hole like a bullet and gained 24 yards. But no let's stick with these idiotic power run calls.

jlgarsh
09-16-2016, 06:39 AM
And what happened when he ran the one true speed play of the night on the ground? McCoy shot through the hole like a bullet and gained 24 yards. But no let's stick with these idiotic power run calls.

McCoy is being absolutely wasted on this team.

Cleve
09-16-2016, 06:40 AM

This team is going nowhere with Roman as OC. Constant game management issues; like last night, they just couldn't get a quick play off BEFORE the 2 minute warning. The TV crew were puzzled and dismayed by that gaffe, as should be any Bills fans. And it's not the first time - that's a regular problem with Roman's offense. The Buffalo media should be hammering on Roman in pressers over problems like that.

Mahdi
09-16-2016, 07:09 AM
They are like crazy funhouse mirror images of each other.

Roman is a guy who is constantly sabotaging himself because he has this crazy need to outsmart the opposing coach. It doesn't seem to faze him that we have crazy speed at all the skill positions including QB, he insists on running slow developing power plays. It's like he thinks he's still in San Francisco with a beastly offensive line and a power back in Frank Gore. Admittedly he wasn't here when they drafted Watkins, but how can you look at his tape and not try to get him the ball in space. Has Watkins run a single slant pattern since he came here? What happened to the Taylor rollouts, the comebacks, and all the other stuff that sensible teams do to get a young QB in rhythm? The fact that he has not one, not two, but THREE plays with EJ and Tyrod on the field is the stuff of madness. He has a million gadgets to try to get wideouts open deep, but once they've gotten deep on a D and loosened it, he has no way to exploit it. Compare to Fitz and Gailey. They got deep on us early and often, so they started running curls and back shoulder throws and such and they were wide open, because the DB had to respect the deep pass.

Meanwhile Rex will keep running the same damn thing over and over and the word is out on how to beat it. He's going to bring everyone down to the line of scrimmage on nearly every play. He thinks this will confuse the OL and cause free rushers, but what actually happens is that no one cares. If they bring pressure, the QB just throws 5 yards down field where there are no linebackers. If they bail out into coverage, the QB just throws 10-15 yards downfield in the soft spot between the safeties and the linebackers (who can't get back to cover it, since they were playing at the line).

I'm sure this team will pick up as the year goes on when we start getting pieces of our defense back, but as I said in the game thread and many times before - Rex has never had an elite defense without a hall of fame talent in the secondary to clean up after him. Darby and Gilmore are ok players, but neither will ever reach that Revis/Reed level that Rex needs. This team is going to play some exciting games, but it's like the boxer that comes out of the corner throwing haymakers. They are either going to get a spectacular knockout or receive one. At least they can be engaging to watch.

The only thing I'll say is this....

If we had Dareus and another pass rusher outside of just Hughes (Shaq) his blitzes probably would have been more effective. We couldn't get to Fitz early enough and it hurt us badly.

Had he doubled up on the outside Forte would have had a 200 yard game.... Rex leaned on his CBs and paid the price for it.

Bills Juggernaut
09-16-2016, 09:14 AM

LOL. I actually screamed this at the TV last night when it happened. Couldn't believe it's taken almost 2 full games before we see a quick hitter run like this.